Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club

Possibly to go SLI later perhaps for cheaper.

Ahh ok, I could understand if someone sold their single Titan X to replace it with TWO 980 Tis, but not one of them.

But even then, financially it sounds like a pretty slim gain.

If you already have a Titan X and you sell it on eBay, you're gonna take some loss on it. Don't care if you kept the original box in perfect shape, etc, you cant expect to get 1000 bucks for it, you just aren't going to. After you sell it, you're going to turn around and pick up a new 980 Ti, which is a WORSE card in all respects than the Titan X, for what, 650-799? (do we know what the real price point is yet?) Doesn't seem worth it to me.

You might get 900 bucks for your perfectly kept Titan X, and then you gotta spend 700 on a new 980 Ti.... You didn't really save much cash and you now end up with a worse gaming setup than you had before.... Now on the one hand, if you could get 900 for your Titan X and you could get a used 980 Ti off eBay for 500, then maybe I can see the appeal of the $$$ savings, but there aren't going to be used 980 Tis on eBay for quite a while.

I cant help but wonder if some people here are confusing the current situation with the previous debacle where the 780 Ti turned out to be FASTER in all games than the original Titan (forcing nvidia to scramble and release the Titan Black...). We haven't seen full reviews of the 980 Ti yet but all signs point to it being slower than then Titan X in all game titles at 1440p, let alone at 4K. Some pre-review sites are significantly overclocking the 980 Ti so that it squeaks past a stock clocked Titan X in various benchmarks, but that really isn't fair since the Titan X will overclock to the same speeds as the 980 Ti does, and thus blow past the 980Ti in benchmarks/games.

Last edited:
Ahh ok, I could understand if someone sold their single Titan X to replace it with TWO 980 Tis, but not one of them.

But even then, financially it sounds like a pretty slim gain.

If you already have a Titan X and you sell it on eBay, you're gonna take some loss on it. Don't care if you kept the original box in perfect shape, etc, you cant expect to get 1000 bucks for it, you just aren't going to. After you sell it, you're going to turn around and pick up a new 980 Ti, which is a WORSE card in all respects than the Titan X, for what, 650-799? (do we know what the real price point is yet?) Doesn't seem worth it to me.

You might get 900 bucks for your perfectly kept Titan X, and then you gotta spend 700 on a new 980 Ti.... You didn't really save much cash and you now end up with a worse gaming setup than you had before.... Now on the one hand, if you could get 900 for your Titan X and you could get a used 980 Ti off eBay for 500, then maybe I can see the appeal of the $$$ savings, but there aren't going to be used 980 Tis on eBay for quite a while.

I cant help but wonder if some people here are confusing the current situation with the previous debacle where the 780 Ti turned out to be FASTER in all games than the original Titan (forcing nvidia to scramble and release the Titan Black...). We haven't seen full reviews of the 980 Ti yet but all signs point to it being slower than then Titan X in all game titles at 1440p, let alone at 4K. Some pre-review sites are significantly overclocking the 980 Ti so that it squeaks past a stock clocked Titan X in various benchmarks, but that really isn't fair since the Titan X will overclock to the same speeds as the 980 Ti does, and thus blow past the 980Ti in benchmarks/games.

Fully agree. If you're selling a Titan X just to save a few hundred bucks - you shouldn't have bought a Titan X in the first place.

i wouldnt sell my titan Xs for 980ti s ... but if you want to sell me yours for dirt cheap.. i'll probably take it and run 3 way :)

Reviews are already starting to drop. They are calling the 980Ti a "Titan X with a price cut"....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/18

They said based on numbers it should be about 7% slower than a Titan X (at matching clock speeds) but in practice was 3% or less slower. Basically no noticble difference in any of the titles they tested.

They didn't test SLI vs SLI though. I'd be interested to see if the 12GB on a pair of Titan Xs made any difference there.

Still, I would not go selling my Titan Xs and replacing them with 980Tis but if I was still running my 980 and about to upgrade, the Titan X would be a tough sell over a 980 Ti

I went over to EVGA... and wanted to check out some info. Well I viewed a remorseful Titan X buyers thread.

TLDR:
"I JUST SOLD MY TITAN X FOR $750.00

GOODBYE NVIDIA, I'M HOLDING OUT FOR R9 390X

GOODBYE"

My jaw dropped...and began laughing so hard. Must be new to the game...and super salty.

I went over to EVGA... and wanted to check out some info. Well I viewed a remorseful Titan X buyers thread.

TLDR:

GOODBYE"

My jaw dropped...and began laughing so hard. Must be new to the game...and super salty.

Salty Thread

Man you really can't make that shit up.

But I don't understand the logic here: I got "burned" (debatable), so I'm going to sell at a loss and buy a cut down card with less vram? Dafuq?

Reviews are already starting to drop. They are calling the 980Ti a "Titan X with a price cut"....
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/18
They said based on numbers it should be about 7% slower than a Titan X (at matching clock speeds) but in practice was 3% or less slower. Basically no noticble difference in any of the titles they tested. They didn't test SLI vs SLI though. I'd be interested to see if the 12GB on a pair of Titan Xs made any difference there.
Still, I would not go selling my Titan Xs and replacing them with 980Tis but if I was still running my 980 and about to upgrade, the Titan X would be a tough sell over a 980 Ti

Titan X is practically dead in the market now (telling this as owner of dual TiX SLI :D) due to the practically nonexisting difference in performance with the 980Ti. This rises interesting question why there is no difference. My theory is that this is due to the DirectX 11 limitations on the CPU-GPU operation and thus in the DirectX 12 the difference will be more prominent, though obviously still small and not justifying the current price of TiX.

NV did a great job at making people think the 980 Ti is incredible deal. I mean, it is a great card, but:

1. Boost clocks are higher in all reviews compared to the Titan, which helps negate the shader count difference. Even then there are games that show close to 10% differences at 4K http://www.techspot.com/review/1011-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti/page3.html

2. It's a cut down chip. 780 Ti was fully enabled for $700, so it makes sense this is less. I figured they would charge $700-749 for it anyway given no competition yet from AMD, but they came to their senses evidently.

All things considered if I was buying a card now I'd likely get the 980 Ti (although at this point, I'd wait to see what AMD offers) but the Titan definitely isn't irrelevant if you want the best performance.

Salty Thread

Man you really can't make that shit up.

But I don't understand the logic here: I got "burned" (debatable), so I'm going to sell at a loss and buy a cut down card with less vram? Dafuq?

LOL the salt is real in that thread. They should have done their homework before buying the Titan X. I bought two of them but I knew ahead of time the 980 Ti was coming in a few months.

Titan X is practically dead in the market now (telling this as owner of dual TiX SLI :D) due to the practically nonexisting difference in performance with the 980Ti. This rises interesting question why there is no difference. My theory is that this is due to the DirectX 11 limitations on the CPU-GPU operation and thus in the DirectX 12 the difference will be more prominent, though obviously still small and not justifying the current price of TiX.

There's no difference in performance because the 980TI is boosting to higher clock speeds than the Titan X is.

41ppd9T.png

http://anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/16

Strap a custom bios and watercooling on the Titan X and bye bye 980TI...at-least until custom boards for the 980TI come out.

TLDR:

GOODBYE"

I laughed reading that thread, especially at the post that he sold it for $750.

I laughed reading that thread, especially at the post that he sold it for $750.

yeah, that cracked me up too.

I dropped a couple of what I hope are reasonable posts over in that thread.

However, I tend to agree with the posters above who said future X sales will be pretty much dead. Most people won't buy a 1000 dollar video card (let alone 2 of them like many of us did) in the first place. Now, add in the fact that a much cheaper card performs nearly the same (within 3-5 FPS can pretty much be called "the same" as far as the naked eye goes)..... and boom, they just killed Titan X sales.

Only potential I could see for the X is IF a pair of Xs in SLI is noticeably faster than a pair of 980 Tis in SLI @ 4k gaming. The tests on toms and anadtech show that 4k on a single card, be it Titan X or 980 Ti, is still unacceptable by enthusiast standards (i.e., 38-51 FPS depending on the game), so you still need SLI for decent 4K. If the extra ram on a Titan X SLI setup turns out to make a difference over a pair of 980 Tis in SLI (i.e., 24 GB vram vs 12 GB gram) then there's still that small niche market for Titan X SLI.

Not sure how DX12 would mess with this either....

EDIT: I didnt know about the whole sneaky boost clock thing on the 980 Ti until now. I'm in the process of replacing my OEM coolers with the ACX 2.0 thats for sale on EVGA. I won't go AIO water on them, too hard to keep a clean looking case (I have a big side window).

Last edited:
Yeah i have a feeling it'll be permanently in Stock from now on.

Man it would suck to be a TiX owner right now, OTOH everyone and their mother knew the 980Ti was coming.

Eh, I knew 980Ti was coming. I'm shrugging it off. Like I said earlier, glad I sold one of my Titan X's when I did. I think anyone selling one after today is going to be hard pressed to get anything higher than $850 for it (unless you catch someone that isn't aware the 980Ti launched). The way I look at it is this: I know no matter what game comes out I will not be VRAM bottlenecked at all. Every time a new card comes out with more VRAM than the last generation everyone says "this card is future proof because it has xxx amount of VRAM". That hasn't held true in the past (680 2GB, 780 TI 3GB, 980 4GB). I think with the Titan X having 12GB (overkill in todays games) it sets the bar so high that VRAM is one thing you'll never have to worry about. Whether or not 6GB is the magic spot for VRAM for the next few years remains to be seen. DirectX 12 will make things very interesting. With the performance boost that comes with DirectX12; will developers decide to finally start focusing on texture quality??

Man it would suck to be a TiX owner right now, OTOH everyone and their mother knew the 980Ti was coming.

I don't have any regrets. As others have already stated, everyone knew this was coming. And it's not really surprising that a card will be replaced by a faster and cheaper card.

But let's see what happens with DX12. I'm not expecting any game companies to take advantage of the 12 GB RAM though with a Titan X texture only package. Neither AMD nor mainstream NVidia will surpass 6 GB. Maybe it might be useful for mods though. And I want to see how the Titan X fares against the 980 TI with apps like Photoshop.

I don't have any regrets. As others have already stated, everyone knew this was coming. And it's not really surprising that a card will be replaced by a faster and cheaper card..

Except its not faster. Its only cheaper.

This isn't a year ago with the 780 Ti vs the original Titan fiasco. The 780 Ti WAS faster than the Titan. And much cheaper.

The 980 Ti is only cheaper than the Titan X, it's not faster in any game that any reviewer has tested. (unless it was over clocked and the the Titan X was left at stock clock)

Except its not faster. Its only cheaper.

This isn't a year ago with the 780 Ti vs the original Titan fiasco. The 780 Ti WAS faster than the Titan. And much cheaper.

The 980 Ti is only cheaper than the Titan X, it's not faster in any game that any reviewer has tested. (unless it was over clocked and the the Titan X was left at stock clock)
Yeah, frame times look worse on the 980 Ti going by the graphs I've seen. Min and max framerates may be similar, but it is definitely not offering the same smoothness as the Titan X. It looks like, on average, the 980 Ti is 3-8% slower in real-world gaming.

There is no way a Titan X owner is not feeling regret. NVidia tricked me with the first Titan and I felt so burned. That's why I didn't fall for it a second time. Man....this one must hurt even more for you guys.

There is no way a Titan X owner is not feeling regret. NVidia tricked me with the first Titan and I felt so burned. That's why I didn't fall for it a second time. Man....this one must hurt even more for you guys.
Nope, not at all. Most of us bought one or several knowing full well the 980 Ti was coming. Unlike Kepler Titan, Maxwell Titan is the full chip.

Its out of stock. lol

Yea there are a lot of people not buying it on forums because they either want to see how low the titan x will go down or thinking about selling/returning titan x themselves. I think I'll return mine (luckily within 30 day window when I requested RMA) and take a 30 dollar or whatever shipping cost loss.

Only potential I could see for the X is IF a pair of Xs in SLI is noticeably faster than a pair of 980 Tis in SLI @ 4k gaming. The tests on toms and anadtech show that 4k on a single card, be it Titan X or 980 Ti, is still unacceptable by enthusiast standards (i.e., 38-51 FPS depending on the game), so you still need SLI for decent 4K. If the extra ram on a Titan X SLI setup turns out to make a difference over a pair of 980 Tis in SLI (i.e., 24 GB vram vs 12 GB gram) then there's still that small niche market for Titan X SLI. Not sure how DX12 would mess with this either....

There definitely won't be any difference in SLI. But the difference should be showing up in the DX 12 since weaker performance of TiX vs. 980Ti might be due to the CPU-GPU limits.

Bottom line, the Ti is a slower card. I got what I paid for. Honestly the only reason people keep bringing this up it seems to somehow rationalize themselves of buying the Ti. I guess that is good marketing from NV though :)

NV also made the Ti look better in reviews by making tweaks to the boost profile. Newer TX cards have the same tweak (not that it matters, since you can OC yourself)

Well, kinda. You see, Nvidia has further tuned the GM200 GPU on the 980 Ti, and it expects slighty higher operating clock speeds (~20Hz out of ~1000MHz) as a result. So the difference between the first run of Titan X cards and this newcomer is even smaller in practice than the specs sheet suggests.

http://techreport.com/review/28356/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-graphics-card-reviewed

Hmm.. Definitely interesting development. Makes sense on the TI clocking faster though as with my hybrid I'm hitting the power throttle before any instability or anything else. Less cores and vram would allow the TI to have more headroom for frequency improvements.

Now cost wise I spent $1050 + $100 for my titan-x sc + hybrid cooler. I've been using it for a few weeks and expect the TI to be out of stock for awhile. So pretty much I paid 3-400 premium for 2months of gaming and slightly higher performance and more vram. Plan on keeping my card for 18-24months. We'll say there is $50/depreciation of the card per month. So really I paid 2-300 more for the titan x. If you bought your titan-x on launch then it's probably even less than 200. So whoopee de doo da day. People spend more than than $100/month on cable tv. Why would we have any regrets on buying the titan-x? I guess I'm confused. Maybe if somebody was stretching their budget to afford it, but they probably shouldn't be getting top of the line in that case. Since rumors of the TI were happening for awhile.

Anyways, no buyers remorse here. Technology is constantly moving and I made a decision to get the top card available when I was building a new system. If anything I welcome the cheaper card because it should further expand the user base for higher performing cards. So there is more justification to make games with better graphics.

Bottom line, the Ti is a slower card. I got what I paid for. Honestly the only reason people keep bringing this up it seems to somehow rationalize themselves of buying the Ti. I guess that is good marketing from NV though :)

NV also made the Ti look better in reviews by making tweaks to the boost profile. Newer TX cards have the same tweak (not that it matters, since you can OC yourself)

http://techreport.com/review/28356/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-graphics-card-reviewed
Interesting. I had thought that the Titan X was hitting the thermal limit harder due to the extra cores and VRAM when compared to the 980 Ti, limiting its Boost clock potential.

No matter. I'm getting a sustained 1319 MHz with OOB clocks from the EVGA SC using a custom fan curve, 1287 with default fan curve. My ACX cooler comes tomorrow, so it will get even better :D.

Well, I picked up a TitanX from Nvidia about 6 weeks ago. A couple of months ago I upgraded to a Dell 4K display & the 780 ti I had wasn't cutting it. I've got to say the X is much smoother than the 780 ti, but as others have said, with 4K you really need SLI. Even though 2 980 Ti's are probably the smart way to go I think I'm still going to pick up a 2nd new Titan X.

If I could return the Titan X for a full refund I'd probably go that route now, but since I'm outside NVidia's 30 day return policy I'm really looking at paying a $350 premium for the 2nd Titan X over a 980 ti. If I sold my 1st Titan X I'm guessing the max you could expect is ~ $850. I certainly wouldn't pay more for a used one, no matter how gently used. That would raise the effective price of a 980 ti to about $800 ($650 plus the $150 hit on the sale of the Titan X). For that delta I think I'll eat the extra cost & have 2 of the good cards instead of 2 of the gimp'd ones :). Hopefully that'll keep me satisfied thru 2016.

As others indicated. If a couple hundred $$$ is that important to you then you really shouldn't be spending your cash on these high end cards.

Why do you continue obsess about how others spend their money on multiple forums? What's the agenda here? Computers are about the cheapest hobby I've got going, heh.

Why do you continue obsess about how others spend their money on multiple forums? What's the agenda here? Computers are about the cheapest hobby I've got going, heh.

Obviously he's still bitter about getting ripped on the first Titan. He's like a noonwraith in the witcher, forever cursed to roam hardforum and haunt it's threads.

Obviously he's still bitter about getting ripped on the first Titan. He's like a noonwraith in the witcher, forever cursed to roam hardforum and haunt it's threads.

Haha! I like it. I am surprised how butt hurt people get though over a few hundred bucks when they are dealing with cutting edge hardware. If you want to be less impacted by new tech, buy low or midgrade. That stuff doesn't drop as quickly. Also as somebody else said, computers are a cheap hobby. I could and sometimes do throw a lot more money at other hobbies.

Also as somebody else said, computers are a cheap hobby. I could and sometimes do throw a lot more money at other hobbies.

And working on them generally takes very little time, relatively. Minutes instead of hours for hardware changes. Turns out time is the scarcest resource, which is one reason I just slap the best card in as soon as I can.

At least it is a bit different this time. The 980Ti is a cut down TitanX. The 780Ti was a Titan with half the RAM.
I don't think I would feel bad if I had a Titan X. It's still the fastest single GPU (for the moment) out there. Plus you have plenty of RAM to go around, if you are into that kind of thing.
That said, I'm thinking about picking up two 980Ti's this week, but I will probably wait to see what AMD brings to the table. Although I have no interest in a video card with a radiator hanging off of it. Which means, I'm not expecting much from them, but I can still hope!

It's funny how the people spilling salt in this and other threads about the 980 Ti release and what it means for the Titan X are people who don't own a T-X and/or don't plan to. I, for one, am happy that there is a cheaper product available for people who can't afford a T-X but can still get near its performance level for 2/3 the cost. More potential for people to ascend.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my Titan-X's knowing these things:

1. It's a fully functioning chip, with all 24 SMM's onboard. I can't stand knowing that I bought cut-down chips.
2. No game out there is going to force my hands in terms of VRAM usage. Ultra textures and draw distance all day long.
3. I've already had a few months of fun with them, and considering that time is money, it was well worth it.

It doesn't matter to me that the 980-Ti is on par with Titan X's performance, it doesn't matter that AMD Fury may be much better in terms of value and performance, I paid for a good product and got a good product.

I'm happy that with the 980-Ti, there is a new segment in the market that provides phenomenal performance for the value.

After the 980Ti the only left piece of the lineup is the Titan XX übercard with dual GPU and 24GB VRAM, the last one in the Maxwell family. Predicted time of arrival after summer.

Although titan x owners did overpay their their cards, particularly compared to the gtx 980 ti there is some consolidation. The titan x has a perfect die which considering the die size is pretty rare compared to gtx 980 ti. This is probably somewhere on the order of 3 to 4x as rare.

As transistor density and die size goes up, defect rates grow exponentially. Perfect dies are harder to get and it's why the professional market gets first dibs on them because the margins are much better.

Perfect die??
Who cares if the performance is about the same!

NVIDIA charges more for the Titan for only one reason: greed is good. ;)
I would not be surprised if a Super Titan would be in the work to replace the current one...

I've had my Titan X for 34 days. Just outside the return date. I'm going with a fully custom watercooled setup but will probably end up getting a second Titan X in order to take full advantage of the Acer Predator monitor when it finally comes out.

Just a little pissed. Last year I bought a new Dodge Viper. Two months later the manufacturer lowered the MSRP of the car by nearly $15k. They issued me a $15k discount towards the purchase of a new Viper, that i'm going to use this year for the 2016 ACR. In the very least NVidia could issue those of us who purchased a Titan X a discount towards another. :(

Back