Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club

I have $4,000 to spend on a new system. I cannot even find a Titan X

I bought 2 of them from Nvidia direct literally the day they were released. And they STILL have them in stock:
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-gtx-titan-x/buy-gpu

Yes they are the nvidia reference models, but so what. They are clocked the same as all the other brands reference model and overclock just as well (I have mine running at +150 on the core, nothing on the MEM as that never seems to improve frame rates at all in games).

I bought 2 of them from Nvidia direct literally the day they were released. And they STILL have them in stock:
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-gtx-titan-x/buy-gpu

Yes they are the nvidia reference models, but so what. They are clocked the same as all the other brands reference model and overclock just as well (I have mine running at +150 on the core, nothing on the MEM as that never seems to improve frame rates at all in games).
I really don't get the stigma against reference cards :confused:

In this case, I thought EVGA, ASUS were also reference cards :confused:

The EVGA superclock isn't coming up at newegg when you just browse video cards and filter for Titan X. But it's there, and you can add it to your cart via the direct link here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487130
Thanks, just took the plunge and bought one myself. Leaving SLI behind after being a staunch advocate for it for years. Will post pictures of it when it arrives next week :D.

FYI, it is now showing up in their product browser. It is even listed as the third featured product when you go to the Desktop Graphics Card page.

Just installed my Nvidia Titan X last night. Using one of my 780ti's as a physx card with it since it would most likely sit on a shelf if i didn't. MUCH nicer experience in GTA5 Imho.
At the time i got it i couldn't find anywhere else so just did the Nvidia version. Don't need all the bells and whistles..... :)

how many of you will sell the Titan X's and move to GTX 980Ti's if they OC'd like mad?

how many of you will sell the Titan X's and move to GTX 980Ti's if they OC'd like mad?

Titan x already reach 1.5 ghz on air so i don't see 980 ti doing much better. Maybe 1650 mhz and with increasIng frequency comes diminishing returns. Plus 12 gb vram is a draw for me given the trend of new games like gta v using a lot of it.

Just installed my Nvidia Titan X last night. Using one of my 780ti's as a physx card with it since it would most likely sit on a shelf if i didn't. MUCH nicer experience in GTA5 Imho.
At the time i got it i couldn't find anywhere else so just did the Nvidia version. Don't need all the bells and whistles..... :)

Getting ready to order a Titan X and also have a 780ti. Was thinking of doing what you're doing with the 780ti as a physx card. Have you run any tests to see what, if any, kind of advantage that configuration gives? Just curious.

Did run about 3 or so 3DMark tests last night actually.
I have a 4930k with 16GB ram and a 40" JU6700 TV/Monitor. And using the 1 Titan X and the 780ti::
Firestrike Ultra was a 3893 score.
Firestrike Extreme was 7372.
Firestrike was 14319.
Only ran these once so far, but will do more testing tonight I think after work. According to the results, I'm fairly high in the results so not too displeased. :p Some of the results with the 2-4X cards are insane...lol
Not sure about the help the 780ti adds but I figure it can't really hurt to use it and it beats having it just laying around. Unless I want to sell both 780ti's. (Which I may actually)

(As long as the games and apps play and look well I'm good...)

I'm planning on buying a pair of Titan X's, I see constant availability at the NVidia store for $999 while other retailers charge premiums... what's the catch if I buy it at the NVidia store?

There's gotta be a drawback here...

I'm planning on buying a pair of Titan X's, I see constant availability at the NVidia store for $999 while other retailers charge premiums... what's the catch if I buy it at the NVidia store?

There's gotta be a drawback here...

Perhaps the return policy isn't as flexible. And they might charge tax. Nvidia direct seems like the best option though, I don't know what their RMA process is like but I'm sure it's better than Asus.

Major problems with my Titan X. Probably driver related but I run a 4 screen setup (3 x Display Port and 1 x HDMI). Playing GTA V and it just hosed my system. Making it absolutely impossible to play on my main display which is the ASUS G-Sync 27in display. Only windowed works at 23hz unless I manually disable all other displays. Starting GTA V will also randomly change the primary display and my system refuses to fix the issue with a restart or manually disabling monitors and starting from scratch.

It's a shame as this Titan X is an unbelievable overclocker. Been a while since ive seen a card this easy to OC.

Over on GF forum they claim that the last "stable" Maxwell driver was 344.75 iirc, but Titan X support starts with 347.88 ... I had some fps issues too, and used DDU then reinstalled the drivers, and it returned to normal. OG Titan launch was much better driver-wise.

Last edited:

I regret buying a 780 Ti when I had a 780 previously. Boring for the buck. No way that I'll replace my TITAN X with a 980 Ti.

Now, in my secondary box - I may step up from my 970 to a 980 Ti or replace it if it doesn't come out until August or later.

I regret buying a 780 Ti when I had a 780 previously. Boring for the buck. No way that I'll replace my TITAN X with a 980 Ti.

Now, in my secondary box - I may step up from my 970 to a 980 Ti or replace it if it doesn't come out until August or later.
+1

I bought the Titan because it says "TITAN" on the card in big silver letters. "980" or "980 TI" is not as exciting.

Just ordered one direct from NVidia. Got the confirmation email yesterday (Saturday). They showed in stock when I ordered Friday afternoon, so hopefully they'll ship on Monday & I'll get it by mid-week.

Currently running a MSI 780 ti, but I upgraded to a Dell 4K display a couple of months ago. Would like to be able to run a few games like GTA V & Far Cry 4 at decent frame rates without having to go SLI. Guess we'll see :).

Just ordered one direct from NVidia. Got the confirmation email yesterday (Saturday). They showed in stock when I ordered Friday afternoon, so hopefully they'll ship on Monday & I'll get it by mid-week.

Currently running a MSI 780 ti, but I upgraded to a Dell 4K display a couple of months ago. Would like to be able to run a few games like GTA V & Far Cry 4 at decent frame rates without having to go SLI. Guess we'll see :).

I think you'll be happy. You'll definitely notice a big difference. I DSR from ~4k megapixels to 3440x1440 and I question why I bought a second Titan X. One of those games is FC4. I guess I'll be "future proofed" for a while. I thought I'd need it with the resolution jump...

I just messed around in a custom firestrike to see if memory matters with one Titan X. Ran the 2nd graphics test with VRAM usage at 2.8GB and memory at 6,600 and 8,000Mhz. FPS went from 35.24 to 36.99 (whoop dee doo).

What I really need is to do it with SLI in a game with higher FPS and VRAM usage... Maybe when I get SLI going in mid may - June.

Last edited:
Waiting to see what the 390x/980ti does as 4K before I splurge on a set of Titan's in SLI in the coming months.

Over on GF forum they claim that the last "stable" Maxwell driver was 344.75 iirc, but Titan X support starts with 347.88 ... I had some fps issues too, and used DDU then reinstalled the drivers, and it returned to normal. OG Titan launch was much better driver-wise.

I rolled back the Titan X drivers and re-installed the GTX980 drivers from my previous video card. Still having a couple of problems but at least all monitors are working now.

Just bought a Titan X to replace my two 980's I'm going to eBay.

I'm hoping it is a better experience with Gsync, and damn I want 12GB vram.

If it is overtly slower, or not smoother, I'll take it back to Frys. ��

Am I in for a disappointment?

Just bought a Titan X to replace my two 980's I'm going to eBay.

I'm hoping it is a better experience with Gsync, and damn I want 12GB vram.

If it is overtly slower, or not smoother, I'll take it back to Frys. ��

Am I in for a disappointment?

I just received and installed mine today, coming from SLI GTX 970. It is a whole lot smoother with on TITAN X. I'm pretty happy. I know as far as performance goes this was a sidegrade, trading blows with SLI 970. But the smoothness of a single card trumps the raw performance of multicard. And I can now DSR with my G-Sync monitor. AND I can use MFAA.

This EVGA Superclocked version is boosting to 1316 MHz out of the box and holding steady. Not too far off the custom overclock the [H] reached in their review of the reference version.

I just received and installed mine today, coming from SLI GTX 970. It is a whole lot smoother with on TITAN X. I'm pretty happy. I know as far as performance goes this was a sidegrade, trading blows with SLI 970. But the smoothness of a single card trumps the raw performance of multicard. And I can now DSR with my G-Sync monitor. AND I can use MFAA.

This EVGA Superclocked version is boosting to 1316 MHz out of the box and holding steady. Not too far off the custom overclock the [H] reached in their review of the reference version.

Thanks!
That's the version I got, evga sc, the only one Frys carries.

So you definitely notice smoother gameplay?

Thanks!
That's the version I got, evga sc, the only one Frys carries.

So you definitely notice smoother gameplay?
In the games I've played so far, yes. I played GTA V for about an hour and the difference was immediately noticeable with less hitching, even though according to the benchmark I was getting around the same framerate as SLI 970s. I also played Evolve for a little more than an hour. I was able to turn the settings in this game up from where they were previously. With the 970s I had to run everything on High, but with the TITAN X I could turn everything to Very High and I was even getting higher framerates. I swear from my own perception that the frame pacing in Evolve was half of that with the 970s in SLI.

Resident Evil 5 also got some attention. Since the Steamworks version got rid of the DX10 rendering path, I was able to run this game at 5k DSR with framerates averaging around 60 FPS. But I decided to run at 4k with 2x MSAA and the framerate stayed around 80 FPS. I think the Steamworks update may have broken the SLI profile for this game, though. With the 970s I was only getting around 70-80 FPS at 1440p with 8x MSAA while the TITAN X is pegged at 144 FPS the entire time with the same settings.

I downloaded EVGA Precision X and set the aggressive fan curve after mentioning the Boost clock yesterday. It now ramps up to 100% at 75C. As a result the card now boosts to 1328 MHz on the core without any overclocking, staying around 65C (EVGA specs list Boost clock as 1216 MHz). It is rather noisy since the fan maxes out at 4500-5000 RPM, but I game with closed-air headphones on so it isn't noticeable. In my environment with an ambient temp of ~25C the fan hovers around 3900 RPM while gaming. People should definitely consider water cooling if the noise would be a problem for you.

FedEx just delivered the one I ordered from NVidia. Now I've got to wait till after work to get home & try it out :(!!!

Are the latest NVidia released drivers the best to use with these currently or are their "special" drivers on th cd's or beta drivers that should be used?

The 347.88 driver is the first to support the TITAN X. There have only been two driver releases since then: one bugfix driver (350.05) and the WHQL driver for GTA V (350.12). I've heard that the 350.12 driver significantly improves performance for the TITAN X over 347.88, but that it also has stability issues. I am using the 350.12 driver from the GeForce website and I have not had any issues so far.

Actually, I just got done uninstalling the 350.12 driver and rolling back to 350.05, which performs almost night and day better for me. Not sure what the deal was as I clean installed .12 after I installed the titanX.

I'm happy so far, but the driver weirdness scares me.

FedEx just delivered the one I ordered from NVidia. Now I've got to wait till after work to get home & try it out :(!!!

Are the latest NVidia released drivers the best to use with these currently or are their "special" drivers on th cd's or beta drivers that should be used?
Pretty much always grab drivers online. The only reason the CD ones are included is if you 1) have no internet and 2) still use optical drives :eek:

I am having some issues with my card. With a triple monitor set up (1440p@96hz, 1050@60hz, 1080@60hz) my core and memory speeds are ~900/1750 and it does not go below that. Is this normal? My temps are about 66c. As soon as I unplug a display from the card it will start to idle bringing the core speed down to ~135mhz and temps drop to about 30-40.

Some notes: 1440p monitor is connected via dual link dvi, 1050p monitor via dvi to hdmi cable, 1080p monitor via hdmi to displayport cable.

Anyone experience this?

I am having some issues with my card. With a triple monitor set up (1440p@96hz, 1050@60hz, 1080@60hz) my core and memory speeds are ~900/1750 and it does not go below that. Is this normal? My temps are about 66c. As soon as I unplug a display from the card it will start to idle bringing the core speed down to ~135mhz and temps drop to about 30-40.

Some notes: 1440p monitor is connected via dual link dvi, 1050p monitor via dvi to hdmi cable, 1080p monitor via hdmi to displayport cable.

Anyone experience this?
Could be driving that many pixels basically trips a processing threshold that clocks the card up. Just a guess though.

Anyone experience this?

Set your desktop refresh to 120Hz. Then in 3D settings choose "prefer max refresh" for games. If that doesn't help, then your multi-screen setup is keeping the card spun up. It sucks I know, it's an extra ~80 watts. It's why I reverted to single screen a couple years ago in the summer.

Good ol' NVidia :). Got home about 1/2 hour ago. FedEx had delivered my Titan X. Left it on the porch. $1000 video card just sitting on the porch all afternoon. No signature required on a card that costs this much ??? Guess I'm lucky I live in a decent area & no one saw the box sitting there & walked away with it.

Good news is it looks fine. No damage to the box or contents so apparently FedEx was gentle. Just finished installing & will try a few things tonight but I'm busy for most of tomorrow & tomorrow evening. It'll probably be Friday or Saturday before I can really try to put it thru it's paces. Loaded the 350.12 drivers & will probably fire up FC4 & GTA V before bedtime. Won't really have time to play for another day or so (unless I call in sick tomorrow :)) !!!

Next question is will my 3770K (not overclocked) be enough for this for now ...

Could be driving that many pixels basically trips a processing threshold that clocks the card up. Just a guess though.

900mhz/1752mhz seems a bit high just for desktop. I came from a GTX 970, but never really noticed. I'll try plugging in my 970 this weekend to test a bit more.

Set your desktop refresh to 120Hz. Then in 3D settings choose "prefer max refresh" for games. If that doesn't help, then your multi-screen setup is keeping the card spun up. It sucks I know, it's an extra ~80 watts. It's why I reverted to single screen a couple years ago in the summer.

I have a Qnix monitor that only goes up to 105hz max. I just got home from work and was able to troubleshoot a bit, did a clean install of drivers with no luck. Will try to troubleshoot more this weekend, I'd rather just have the 3rd display unplugged temporary and play some games at the moment cause this card is a beast! :)

Yes, I ordered 2 Titan X's from NVidia last Friday afternoon and received them Wednesday. I am definitely happy with NVidia's service. Haven't had much time to play with them but so far so good.

Good ol' NVidia :). Got home about 1/2 hour ago. FedEx had delivered my Titan X. Left it on the porch. $1000 video card just sitting on the porch all afternoon. No signature required on a card that costs this much ??? Guess I'm lucky I live in a decent area & no one saw the box sitting there & walked away with it.

Good news is it looks fine. No damage to the box or contents so apparently FedEx was gentle. Just finished installing & will try a few things tonight but I'm busy for most of tomorrow & tomorrow evening. It'll probably be Friday or Saturday before I can really try to put it thru it's paces. Loaded the 350.12 drivers & will probably fire up FC4 & GTA V before bedtime. Won't really have time to play for another day or so (unless I call in sick tomorrow :)) !!!

Next question is will my 3770K (not overclocked) be enough for this for now ...
Mine was delivered by UPS and they did the same thing. I was home the day it was delivered, too, and the guy didn't even knock or ring my doorbell... I prefer FedEx myself since my packages from UPS always end up looking ragged, but in this case the card was well-packed by NewEgg.

900mhz/1752mhz seems a bit high just for desktop. I came from a GTX 970, but never really noticed. I'll try plugging in my 970 this weekend to test a bit more.

I have a Qnix monitor that only goes up to 105hz max. I just got home from work and was able to troubleshoot a bit, did a clean install of drivers with no luck. Will try to troubleshoot more this weekend, I'd rather just have the 3rd display unplugged temporary and play some games at the moment cause this card is a beast! :)
This is done by design. NVIDIA forces cards into the lower end of 3D clocks to keep Surround resolutions stable. This also happens when a monitor is put into a 144 Hz refresh rate. Only way to get it to idle is to run less than 3 monitors and/or run at a refresh rate less than 144 Hz. I run my PG278Q at 120 Hz on the desktop for this very reason and the GPU idles happily at 36C (temp of case interior) all day.

Back