Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club

Yep and I would personally never go beyond 2 cards. Plus with UE4 not supporting AFR, there's even less incentive for me to do multi-GPU setups.

I think my 970 SLI setup might be the last time I go with dual cards. From here on out I'll stick to the most powerful single card solution thank you very much.

Single cards from now on for me.

Got my Titan X installed earlier. I forgot how smooth single card gaming is.

NVIDIA improved frametimes with the Titan X because SLI is noticeably better than it was with my 980s. My biggest issue right now is they need to add in DSR + MFAA support for G-Sync owners.

NVIDIA improved frametimes with the Titan X because SLI is noticeably better than it was with my 980s. My biggest issue right now is they need to add in DSR + MFAA support for G-Sync owners.

Well that's good. I hope you're right. Been debating if I wanted to keep my 2nd card but I think I will. I was always against multiGPU (but only tried AMD, not nVidia) but would like this rig to last a few years and with my new 3440x1440 monitor I think it'd help. Currently running one card until I get my replacement system working then I'll move the card over.

Some of these other posts were freaking me out, but 2 way SLI has data showing it scales well in games that need it. If it got even better than fantastic!

I actually had some time yesterday with no kids/wife and chose to go for a ten mile run instead of installing waterblocks. The Witcher 3 is when I'd like to have this thing running so I still have some time.

Last edited:
Well that's good. I hope you're right. Been debating if I wanted to keep my 2nd card but I think I will. I was always against multiGPU (but only tried AMD, not nVidia) but would like this rig to last a few years and with my new 3440x1440 monitor I think it'd help. Currently running one card until I get my replacement system working then I'll move the card over.

Some of these other posts were freaking me out, but 2 way SLI has data showing it scales well in games that need it. If it got even better than fantastic!

I actually had some time yesterday with no kids/wife and chose to go for a ten mile run instead of installing waterblocks. The Witcher 3 is when I'd like to have this thing running.

It's placebo, there is no new tech involved. The Titan-x is still Maxwell, it will have the exact same issues as the 980 does in multigpu setups. And probably the exact same frametimes.

SLI is SLI, there is no extra magic involved with the Titan-x.

Not saying you will have any issues at all, and since you have the card already I would keep it.

Ok results are in for my 3x Titan X’s AIOs:

Setup:

3x Stock Nvidia Titan X’s with stock BIOS with EVGA 980 All-In-One liquid coolers

Case/Cooling: Caselabs Mercury S8. 7 intake fans. 6 exhaust fans (room for 1 more exhaust)

Fans: All Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions running at the static full speed of 1,450RPM 23dBA

GPU Fan speed: Lowest possible setting (22% around 1050RPM)

GPU setup: Sandwich stacked

Overclock: +225Mhz on all 3 cards (1440Mhz speed)

Highest temperature rating running intense GPU benchmarks: 60C (Probably 50C in games)

I couldn’t find anything to measure GPU VRM & Memory temp unless someone can point me in the right direction

If this was Tri-SLI sandwich stacked on air, the GPU fans would probably be running at 100% at a full 5800RPM and would probably be reaching 90C+ and throttling. Plus 100x louder.

Yes I have room for 1 more AIO Titan X & a slot at the top to put the radiator but I don’t think I’ll need it! (at least just yet)

My biggest complaint is the motors make an annoying buzzing sound. I am VERY familiar with the problems all the Corsair CPU AIOs have and this isn’t any of them. This isn’t the sound of air trapped inside nor the sound of the pump getting too much voltage leading to a ticking sound. It’s the same sound as a wire slightly touching one of your case fans or something. My suspicion is maybe the pump is getting too much voltage or this is just how they are. I have to run a voltage regulator on my Corsair CPU AIO H105 so it doesn’t make a horrible grinding/ticketing sound. This might be happening because the Titan X’s fan the pump leeches off of may have more amps than the 980s and this pump was made for the 980 so that MAY be the cause but again unsure. When I just had one of these running, my fans running at 725RPM would cover up the sound. Having 3 of these now the buzzing sound grows. Now I can still SLIGHTLY hear it even when my fans are at full 1,450 RPM. Again not a big deal because I can’t hear it at all when playing games or there’s some type of background noise. Only in a quiet room with just my computer running I can hear the motors.

These AIOs perform in both performance and sound exactly where it should. Between air cooling and full water cooling. I am happy with the purchase but I wish it didn’t have the buzzing sound. I may get a single Titan X AIO if EVGA ever comes out with one to see if the buzzing goes away. I don’t think I can mod the voltage to the pump since it uses a weird small 4 pin connector that the GPU fan uses.

It’s not pretty but it’s functional! I stopped caring how the inside of my case looked a few years ago when I realized I was spending more time building my computers than actually using them. No window on my case. I recommend everyone try to do the same. It’s like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

DSC_0019_zpsghq5zpa1.jpg

Setup:

3x Stock Nvidia Titan X’s with stock BIOS with EVGA 980 All-In-One liquid coolers

Case/Cooling: Caselabs Mercury S8. 7 intake fans. 6 exhaust fans (room for 1 more exhaust)

Fans: All Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions running at the static full speed of 1,450RPM 23dBA

Highest temperature rating running intense GPU benchmarks: 60C (Probably 50C in games)

I couldn’t find anything to measure GPU VRM & Memory temp unless someone can point me in the right direction

If this was Tri-SLI sandwich stacked on air, the GPU fans would probably be running at 100% at a full 5800RPM and would probably be reaching 90C+ and throttling. Plus 100x louder.

Yes I have room for 1 more AIO Titan X & a slot at the top to put the radiator but I don’t think I’ll need it! (at least just yet)

My biggest complaint is the motors make an annoying buzzing sound. I am VERY familiar with the problems all the Corsair CPU AIOs have and this isn’t any of them. This isn’t the sound of air trapped inside nor the sound of the pump getting too much voltage leading to a ticking sound. It’s the same sound as a wire slightly touching one of your case fans or something. My suspicion is maybe the pump is getting too much voltage or this is just how they are. I have to run a voltage regulator on my Corsair CPU AIO H105 so it doesn’t make a horrible grinding/ticketing sound. This might be happening because the Titan X’s fan the pump leeches off of may have more amps than the 980s and this pump was made for the 980 so that MAY be the cause but again unsure. When I just had one of these running, my fans running at 725RPM would cover up the sound. Having 3 of these now the buzzing sound grows. Now I can still SLIGHTLY hear it even when my fans are at full 1,450 RPM. Again not a big deal because I can’t hear it at all when playing games or there’s some type of background noise. Only in a quiet room with just my computer running I can hear the motors.

These AIOs perform in both performance and sound exactly where it should. Between air cooling and full water cooling. I am happy with the purchase but I wish it didn’t have the buzzing sound. I may get a single Titan X AIO if EVGA ever comes out with one to see if the buzzing goes away. I don’t think I can mod the voltage to the pump since it uses a weird small 4 pin connector that the GPU fan uses.

It’s not pretty but it’s functional! I stopped caring how the inside of my case looked a few years ago when I realized I was spending more time building my computers than actually using them. No window on my case. I recommend everyone try to do the same. It’s like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

DSC_0019_zpsghq5zpa1.jpg

Jesus those hoses for the aio coolers are long. I have a titan x and that evga hybrid 980 on order. Just waiting for amazon to get them in stock >.<

Setup:

DSC_0019_zpsghq5zpa1.jpg

That's not true at all.

The hottest card (top card) for me got to mid-80s Celsius w/ a custom BIOS that was pushing out 1.274V at full load.

With the stock volts, the hottest card barely gets to 70 Celsius.

Oh, and can I join the club? :D

LL

^
Yeah, lots of people just pop off about the TITAN X air cooling being insufficient. It's not true. Sure, it can be loud - but it does a helluva job. If you're running custom BIOS, of course you're throwing a whole new wrench into the game and that's where people complain about the blower/fan noise.

I ditched multi-GPU once I went from SLI 670 to 980 and haven't looked back. For me personally, there just seemed to be no end to SLI quirkiness, I was getting flickering in Dragon Age: Inquisition and shadow problems in Far Cry 4, and there was always the microstutter that was noticeable to me. Am excited for my single Titan X to come on Monday, and I will be driving a single 1440p monitor with it.

That said, your SLI setups are cool, more power to you guys. :cool: Just wasn't for me.

I've got 2 of the original Titans and they have been running in my rig for about 2 years. I get it that SLI has some issues with profiles, weird graphical bugs, but I think NVidia does a pretty good job overall. My cards usually scale really well for the most part. Overclocking is hit or miss, depending on the GPU lottery, but I for one think SLI Pros definitely outweigh the cons. My cards still kill pretty much any game out to date. I don't think I would go Tri/Quad SLI though....

This thread is making me want to go kind of whole hog on a midlife crisis build. I just ordered a 27" G-SYNC monitor and a Titan X and I feel like my mb/cpu/ram from 2011 need to go as well (2600k @ 4.4). While I"m at it may as well get a new case and watercool all the things with neon liquid. Just sayin'

EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Superclocked is Awesome

Last edited:
If you're going 3 or 4 way SLI (particularly 4 way SLI) you really should consider investing in a custom watercooling setup.

It's placebo, there is no new tech involved. The Titan-x is still Maxwell, it will have the exact same issues as the 980 does in multigpu setups. And probably the exact same frametimes.

SLI is SLI, there is no extra magic involved with the Titan-x.

Not saying you will have any issues at all, and since you have the card already I would keep it.

Go look at some reviews with frametimes. The titan x in sli does better than previous cards, it's not placebo.

970 SLI:
02a.png

Titan X SLI:
29.png

970 SLI:
08a.png

Titan X SLI:
35.png

970 SLI:
06a.png

Titan X SLI:
33.png

Basically Titan X SLI has better to much better frametimes than 970 SLI in every test. This could partially be due to it's bigger framebuffer but more than likely, NVIDIA did tweak the Titan X a bit because even single vs single the Titan X beats previous Maxwell cards. In fact, there's cases where SLI has better frametimes than single Titan X!

Last edited:
Guys,

the first review I did w/ 4-Way SLI was with the release drivers which were absolute crap.

The new 350.05 drivers make a world of difference.

I did a new 3-Way SLI review and the results are astonishing @ 5K: https://youtu.be/NQIc9MuP8ck

Here's the chart (towards the end of the video):

I was averaging >60FPS w/ 3-Way SLI.

Also, 4-Way scales pretty damn well now. Not as good as 3-Way but way better than before w/ the crap 347.88 drivers. :D

The bottom line is: 2-Way Titan X for 4K, 3-Way for 5K, and 4-Way for 4K Surround would be optimal IME.

Microcenter had one in stock today, so I picked her up. I've only tested BF4 MP, but it seems just as fast if not faster than my previous 780 sli setup. Someone mentioned it earlier, but I too forgot how smooth single gpu gaming is.

http://i.imgur.com/m4o59TS.jpg, I need to swap out my ram for another color.

Last edited:
Do you think titan cards will drop in price when the amd 390xs come out? I'm wondering how much of a decrease in price have been seen in the past with titan x cards. I don't like dealing with sli so I'm considering this over an sli setup but over my budget. maybe i'll wait for the gtx 980 ti.

Do you think titan cards will drop in price when the amd 390xs come out? I'm wondering how much of a decrease in price have been seen in the past with titan x cards. I don't like dealing with sli so I'm considering this over an sli setup but over my budget. maybe i'll wait for the gtx 980 ti.

If you're looking for a price drop on TITAN X - don't bother. Just wait for the GTX 980 Ti, as you said. Will likely be around $700-$800.

You've got 970 SLI so you can afford to wait until August/September when the cut down version of Titan X aka 980 Ti arrives. It supposedly will have the same number of cores but half the vram for about $600-700 which is a good value if you game at 1440p and below. For 4K and above, I'd still rather go for Titan X. Or if you're like me and you throw DSR/resolution scaling at every game, the Titan X is better in the long run since I've already hit 7GB+ in some games.

Do the EVGA Hybrid coolers fit a Titan X with no mods? just bolt straight on?

Do the EVGA Hybrid coolers fit a Titan X with no mods? just bolt straight on?

Yes they do. The 980 and Titan X have the same exact baseplate & shroud. I'm the one who put 3 of the EVGA 980 AIOs on my Titan X's.

Would 980 reference backplates fit the nvidia reference titan Xs? Im thinking of adding backplates for cosmetic reasons.

You've got 970 SLI so you can afford to wait until August/September when the cut down version of Titan X aka 980 Ti arrives. It supposedly will have the same number of cores but half the vram for about $600-700 which is a good value if you game at 1440p and below. For 4K and above, I'd still rather go for Titan X. Or if you're like me and you throw DSR/resolution scaling at every game, the Titan X is better in the long run since I've already hit 7GB+ in some games.

Agree, and came to this same conclusion while thinking about what I want to do upgrade-wise towards 4k this week.

6GB unfortunately just isn't enough for 4k, not by a long shot, especially with certain games today already surpassing that VRAM figure. The games of late 2015 and early 2016 will go even further, which is frustrating, but reality.

And plus the 980 Ti will certainly be $749 at launch, to match the 390X exactly, which isn't far enough away price-wise to not go Titan X. Even Titan X SLI is only a $500 premium versus a 980 Ti SLI setup, which if you're building a multi-thousand dollar 4k rig (display + CPU + GPUs) isn't enough to make chasing the 980 Ti worth it.

Yes they do. The 980 and Titan X have the same exact baseplate & shroud. I'm the one who put 3 of the EVGA 980 AIOs on my Titan X's.

nice, now i gotta find where to get one then, do they come with thermal paste?

I swapped back to my OG Titan for testing. I have my CPU and RAM both underclocked, and still get gfx crashed even with my Titan X also underclocked (-90 / -200 as much as MSI AB allows). Both BL TPS and FC4 were crashing within 20 minutes to 3 hours or so rather regularly with nv driver message logged.

My current take is that either both games are busted (probably not), or 347.88 is busted (perhaps), or my card is marginal (my wager).
Izb1SrX.gif
It doesn't TDR in the classic way -- the game reverts to windowed mode, freezes, and requires a logout / login to reclaim the desktop. Similar report on gf forum, so maybe driver.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/822904/geforce-drivers/announcing-hotfix-driver-350-05/1/

Man, I can't get any crashes out using my og Titan, only my Titan X crashes so far.

Last edited:
^
Yeah, lots of people just pop off about the TITAN X air cooling being insufficient. It's not true. Sure, it can be loud - but it does a helluva job. If you're running custom BIOS, of course you're throwing a whole new wrench into the game and that's where people complain about the blower/fan noise.

Yeah, at stock I couldn't hear the thing.

It'll take me roughly until June to actually give my impressions of SLI. Right now running one Titan X with my 3770k. My OC vs. OC on stock fan with modded BIOs was around 38% vs my 980. My 980 was on an AIO though.

Putting together a rig that will be chilled water so it's going to take me a while. I don't want to start it up until after my vacation... so June! 5960x and 2x Titan X's so hopefully i don't f' it up. :)

I can tell you I am really impressed with 1x Titan X driving my 3440x1440. I was worried I wouldn't notice a difference over my 980 but sure can! Btw the curved 3440x1440's are pretty nice. I couldn't care less about 4k.... or 5k or 8k, but the 21:9 immersion much more than a 16:9 monitor. It's has a similar epeen factor to the Titan X to me.

I'm pretty sure FC4 levels load quite a bit faster with 12GB Titan X than with 6GB Titan. That or my PC is messing with me.

Just got my 27" 1440p G-SYNC monitor in the mail along with the Titan X. Such an extreme difference, wish I had gotten G-SYNC the day it came out.

I gave up, and requested a refund. My Titan X card crashes (tdr / ctd) no matter which driver (347.88, 350.05, 350.12) or how far I underclock everything (cpu, ram, gpu, vram). Pop in my old OG Titan, and everything is rock solid.

At least I won the XB270HU lottery, heh.

I've been enjoying GTA V on my Titan X @ 1440p. I'm using the GeForce Experience recommended settings, and it has MSAA off. The game looks pretty damn good as is, but I would have thought I could still get silky smooth framerate on a Titan X with at least a little MSAA?

I've been enjoying GTA V on my Titan X @ 1440p. I'm using the GeForce Experience recommended settings, and it has MSAA off. The game looks pretty damn good as is, but I would have thought I could still get silky smooth framerate on a Titan X with at least a little MSAA?

I run the geforce experience preset too, 3440x1440. It had me using FXAA with MSAA off. I changed it to FXAA off and MSAA at 2x with TXAA on. Hardly any drop in frame rate.

So I went and ordered 1 Titan X. Going to sell off my two Titans. I think that would be a decent compromise? I got a pretty good deal (unless it was a price error).

So I went and ordered 1 Titan X. Going to sell off my two Titans. I think that would be a decent compromise? I got a pretty good deal (unless it was a price error).

from what i read, titan X is roughly 65%+ (oced) faster than original titan
so you will have performance equal to or better (and much better minimum fps) w/o SLI headache

Yeah, at stock I couldn't hear the thing.

Man, I sure disagree with you there.

Im running 2 x X's in SLI with dual slot spacing and decent case airflow, and they sound like hair dryers to me under gaming load (Far Cry 4, Elite Dangerous especially, Star Citizen, etc).

I really hope someone makes a decent looking (Im all about looks now :) aftermarket cooler I can bolt onto them.

Back