Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X Owners Club

I've had my Titan X for 34 days. Just outside the return date. I'm going with a fully custom watercooled setup but will probably end up getting a second Titan X in order to take full advantage of the Acer Predator monitor when it finally comes out.

Just a little pissed. Last year I bought a new Dodge Viper. Two months later the manufacturer lowered the MSRP of the car by nearly $15k. They issued me a $15k discount towards the purchase of a new Viper, that i'm going to use this year for the 2016 ACR. In the very least NVidia could issue those of us who purchased a Titan X a discount towards another. :(

Infinite money much?
But I understand, I was on the edge of buying the Titan X, and then the 980 ti was here. Prices seem absurd over here (850€, 900$) for the new Ti!

I've had my Titan X for 34 days. Just outside the return date. I'm going with a fully custom watercooled setup but will probably end up getting a second Titan X in order to take full advantage of the Acer Predator monitor when it finally comes out.

Just a little pissed. Last year I bought a new Dodge Viper. Two months later the manufacturer lowered the MSRP of the car by nearly $15k. They issued me a $15k discount towards the purchase of a new Viper, that i'm going to use this year for the 2016 ACR. In the very least NVidia could issue those of us who purchased a Titan X a discount towards another. :(

They didn't lower the MSRP on the Titan X, they released a 6GB card, (vs 12GB) that gives you 96-97% of the performance @ 4k and below, for $350 less.

I'm sure the Titan X will still be faster at 4K multi-screen gaming :p

I'd keep an eye on eBay if you want a second. Some people seem a little desperate to offload their cards. I saw a TX go for $800 Buy it Now on eBay yesterday. There was also a 980 that went for $315, lol.

I'd keep an eye on eBay if you want a second. Some people seem a little desperate to offload their cards. I saw a TX go for $800 Buy it Now on eBay yesterday. There was also a 980 that went for $315, lol.

Holy hell a 980 for 315, that is insane. :eek:

Difference here is everyone and their mother knew the 980 Ti was coming. If you're gonna buy bragging rights enthusiast parts, prepare to pay the price.

Same as if you buy an Intel Extreme Edition CPU, you can't really complain if soon after the purchase, a new gen consumer chip comes out that gets within a hair of the performance for a fraction of the price. Especially if it was widely known that next gen chip would drop any time.

I do think it would be nice if they did something for TiX owners though.

Same as if you buy an Intel Extreme Edition CPU, you can't really complain if soon after the purchase, a new gen consumer chip comes out that gets within a hair of the performance for a fraction of the price..

Thing is, they often (i.e. never) do.

I still have a 5960 x. There isn't anything that beats it. Nor is there anything that beats a Titan X.

Yeah, the 980 Ti only performs slightly worse in all games as the Titan X, and does it for much less money. But it certainly doesn't beat it.

Intel EE Cpus and 1000 dollar nvidia flagship cards are geared towards people who don't care that an only slightly underperforming and much cheaper alternative will be available shortly after. Nothing will beat the 5960x until the 6960x. And nothing will beat the Titan X until the Titan II.

I think they're giving out free copies of Witcher 3. I got a pop up from Geforce Experience today to redeem a free code for it on GoG.

I think they're giving out free copies of Witcher 3. I got a pop up from Geforce Experience today to redeem a free code for it on GoG.

Wow, that is fucking cool. Now I feel like less of a derp for buying Titan X a week before the GTX 980 Ti came out.

Difference here is everyone and their mother knew the 980 Ti was coming. If you're gonna buy bragging rights enthusiast parts, prepare to pay the price.

Same as if you buy an Intel Extreme Edition CPU, you can't really complain if soon after the purchase, a new gen consumer chip comes out that gets within a hair of the performance for a fraction of the price. Especially if it was widely known that next gen chip would drop any time.

Only I didn't really follow any of the news on the 980ti. Is there any news on NVidia lowering the cost of the Titan X? I know they didn't for the first Titan. But yeah, I think i'm going with the second Titan X then...or sell this Titan X and buy two 980ti.

Only I didn't really follow any of the news on the 980ti. Is there any news on NVidia lowering the cost of the Titan X? I know they didn't for the first Titan. But yeah, I think i'm going with the second Titan X then...or sell this Titan X and buy two 980ti.

Selling your titan-x for the 980ti makes no sense. Just buy a used titan-x if you want to go sli. You are going to take a hit on your titan-x and maybe get $750 for it after fees and what not. Unless of course you find somebody local than maybe you can squeeze $800-850 out of it.

Titan-x will just continue to drop in value. I don't suspect it will drop in price though. I wouldn't make any rash decisions until team red brings out their competitor. I think that is today actually. If it kicks the crap out of the 980ti and titan-x it will just further drop the price of the titan-x on the used market. There isn't really a lot of value for pro/compute workloads on the titan-x because of no fp64. So I suspect it will continue to drop in value as faster cards come out and the residual value will be less than previous titans.

Once again not a big deal really. This is the cost of buying a top of the line card. There will always be something faster tomorrow. If it makes you feel ripped off, stay to middle of the road gpus. They still get outdated about as quick but their residual value % is higher.

I'm still in the return window for my Titan X (bought it at Microcenter), and I'm not even thinking about returning it. The card is perfect for 1440p gaming.

If there were non-reference GTX 980 Ti's with better power delivery circuitry and cooling on day 1, it might be a different story, but for now I'm going to enjoy having the fastest consumer video card in the world and not worry about whether it's a good value.

Fire sale of a Titan X right now is dumb. You'll get a lot more value later when there are used 980tis going for 500.

Right now 980tis are $710-715 after tax. What would be the point of selling your Titan X for $750?. The money you save is pennies.

Fire sale of a Titan X right now is dumb. You'll get a lot more value later when there are used 980tis going for 500.

Right now 980tis are $710-715 after tax. What would be the point of selling your Titan X for $750?. The money you save is pennies.
The point is so I can go SLI by buying your barely-used card at a deep discount :cool:.

The point is so I can go SLI by buying your barely-used card at a deep discount :cool:.

Would have to be a deep discount. I don't think I'd risk buying someone's used card for less than $250 to $300 off. It's not worth just a couple hundred to have to deal with RMA's, etc. if you get a 2nd hand card with problems when for just a hundred or two you can get a brand new factory fresh card.

getting buyer's remorse? maybe you should hand in your [H] card and stick with mid range card from now on :)

Any EVGA titan X owners can post the actual factory overclock boost speed and model of the card, plz?

(all EVGA cards I've had had higher than advertised boost)

Any EVGA titan X owners can post the actual factory overclock boost speed and model of the card, plz?

i have titan x hydrocopper from evga and
it boosts to 1306 out of box and actual specification of card is @ 1152 default / 1241 boost

It's not just EVGA cards. My Asus Titan X (Flashed to EVGA Superclock) Boosts to 1329MHz (EVGA All-in-one cooler installed, 74.4% ASIC quality).

1127 MHz Base Clock, 1216 MHz Boost Clock is what is advertised.

Last edited:

Out of the box, mine also boosted to 1329 MHz while under 70C. 70-75C it was 1316 MHz, Greater than 75C it was 1287 MHz. Specific model of the card is 12G-P4-2992-KR. ID on the core is GM200-400-A1. I don't have the vBIOS version available at the moment. ASIC is around 73%, IIRC. Advertised Boost clock is listed as 1216 MHz.

I installed my ACX 2.0+ cooler today. Good god does EVGA need to revise their instructions. I would have been better off without them. Anyhow it's installed, but It doesn't seem to be cooling any better than the stock cooler. For example I'm hitting 80c in Heaven benchmark. Has anyone else installed this cooler yet?

I installed my ACX 2.0+ cooler today. Good god does EVGA need to revise their instructions. I would have been better off without them. Anyhow it's installed, but It doesn't seem to be cooling any better than the stock cooler. For example I'm hitting 80c in Heaven benchmark. Has anyone else installed this cooler yet?

How is the noise though? The one area that severely disappointed me with the Titan X is that it is loud, much louder than the 980s I upgraded from.

How is the noise though? The one area that severely disappointed me with the Titan X is that it is loud, much louder than the 980s I upgraded from.

The noise is nearly nonexistent. I ran the Heaven benchmark again, and it got up to 82c. The fans kicked up a bit, but not nearly as loud as the stock cooler. I still don't like the temps I'm seeing though.

Last edited:
The noise is nearly nonexistent. I ran the Heaven benchmark again, and it got up to 82c. The fans kicked up a bit, but not nearly as loud as the stock cooler. I still don't like the temps I'm seeing though.

are you using a custom fan speed? maybe the default fan speed is not reacting to the temperature correctly and running too slow. The other issue that is possible is a lack of proper contact. I saw an asus acx 980 ti running 100% and the temperature was 72 degrees. So you might be able to shave off additional 5 degrees

are you using a custom fan speed? maybe the default fan speed is not reacting to the temperature correctly and running too slow. The other issue that is possible is a lack of proper contact. I saw an asus acx 980 ti running 100% and the temperature was 72 degrees. So you might be able to shave off additional 5 degrees

I am not using a custom fan profile. The card is flashed with a custom EVGA SC BIOS, but I have not overclocked it beyond that. I used ARCTIC MX-4 thermal compound, and I'm pretty sure it's making proper contact, but I suppose I could double check.

how does it feel like owning the Titan X and spending a thousand bucks for it? (not starting a flame war or inciting a long page argument) I just need to read the personal opinions of owners of this "Luxurious" GPU, hell can't barely even stomach the price of a GTX 980! I am an owner of a GTX 970 BTW.
Another thing is it overkill if I will pair it with an i5 4690K or a bottleneck? (If I will experience a miracle to earn money to but the Titan X)

how does it feel like owning the Titan X and spending a thousand bucks for it? (not starting a flame war or inciting a long page argument) I just need to read the personal opinions of owners of this "Luxurious" GPU, hell can't barely even stomach the price of a GTX 980! I am an owner of a GTX 970 BTW.
Another thing is it overkill if I will pair it with an i5 4690K or a bottleneck? (If I will experience a miracle to earn money to but the Titan X)

It feels great and no it isn't worth it for you to get a Titan X at this point with the 980 Ti available. However, most of us bought the Titan X's at launch so we've enjoyed this performance months before anyone else and the price of that is $300+ over the 980 Ti. To some it's worth it, to other's it's sheer lunacy. In my case, I built a brand new system in March so I switched from 980s to Titan X's. Don't regret it one bit because it's still the best.

If you bought a used Titan X right now? Not bad they are going for about $750~ on craigslist, so we're talking about no more than a $35 price premium over a 980Ti :p

It feels great and no it isn't worth it for you to get a Titan X at this point with the 980 Ti available. However, most of us bought the Titan X's at launch so we've enjoyed this performance months before anyone else and the price of that is $300+ over the 980 Ti. To some it's worth it, to other's it's sheer lunacy. In my case, I built a brand new system in March so I switched from 980s to Titan X's. Don't regret it one bit because it's still the best.

Hey thanks for your reply buddy! uhm how does one fully utilize the whole 12GB or VRAM the titan X has? 2-3 4K monitors used simultaneously during gaming? Yes I felt that feeling where you are building a new PC and buying the GPU of your choice (Though mine was that afwully marketed GTX 970) spending could be so great and could have cons too IMO (my limited time to use a PC and my earnings)

If you bought a used Titan X right now? Not bad they are going for about $750~ on craigslist, so we're talking about no more than a $35 price premium over a 980Ti :p

750 bucks on craigslist? whoah I better check that out! Dang who might be these people selling their Titan Xs at a great loss? spoiled brats? meth heads?

Hey thanks for your reply buddy! uhm how does one fully utilize the whole 12GB or VRAM the titan X has? 2-3 4K monitors used simultaneously during gaming? Yes I felt that feeling where you are building a new PC and buying the GPU of your choice (Though mine was that afwully marketed GTX 970) spending could be so great and could have cons too IMO (my limited time to use a PC and my earnings)

Nah, I use a 1440p display but employ 150% display scaling in the games I play most which puts it at 4K equivalent. In GTA V with max everything I've seen it push up to around 5.5 GB VRAM. So nothing at this point comes close to using the 12 GB, that's pretty much just for developers and is useless for gamers unless they have 3-4 Titan X's and multiple 4K-5K screens.

Posted my impressions of the ACX 2.0+ in the Best Cooler for Titan X thread:
I just installed the ACX 2.0+ on my Titan X last night. I'm impressed with the performance, but kind of disappointed it isn't really any quieter than the blower. The pitch of the noise is much easier to bear, though.

I played Dying Light for around 2 hours last night and the hottest it got was 61C. With the aggressive fan profile and a +150 MHz overclock it stayed steady around 68C at 68% fan speed for the hour I played this morning. Much better than the reference blower that went 85C at 100% fan speed. My CPU runs a little hotter from the extra heat being dumped inside the case, but that's okay. It still barely cracks 60C under load with an AIO cooler while gaming.

I also kept the pre-applied thermal compound on the base plate. I bought a tube of Arctic MX-4 because it wasn't indicated anywhere that it did already have thermal compound applied. I was thinking about swapping it out to see if there is any difference. Luckily you only have to undo four screws with the ACX installed and not 22 like the blower.

The best part of the ACX in my opinion is the separate baseplate and included backplate that has thermal pads for everything. I was always a little worried about the exposed VRAM chips on the back.
I haven't tried pushing the overclock further, yet. MSi just released a new version of AB that unlocks voltage control for the 980 Ti and Titan X, so I'm going to see where I can get tonight.
I thought the instructions were easy to follow, with full-color high-res pictures that illustrated everything you needed to do. As far as temps go, do you have good airflow in your case? The cooler isn't going to be too effective if the hot air it's blowing into the case isn't being circulated out. I have a NZXT Phantom with 3 fans blowing in air through the front and 2 200mm fans blowing air out the top. The radiator for the CPU is mounted on the rear in a push-pull config.

With the price drop of the 980, I no longer an owner of the Titan X. Going to return the Titan X and get a pair of GTX 980 instead :D

With the price drop of the 980, I no longer an owner of the Titan X. Going to return the Titan X and get a pair of GTX 980 instead :D

If your games all support SLI well, and use less than 4GB, and using 1080p.

If your games all support SLI well, and use less than 4GB, and using 1080p.
I tried all these cards: 1 Titan X, 2x 980, 1x 295X2 and frankly, for 1000 bucks, the Titan X is the best. That's when a pair of 980 cost you 1100. But if a pair of 980 cost 900 then I'd go with 2 x 980. I play mostly aaa titles and only about 2-3 games a year so SLI support hopefully won't be a problem for me and I play at 2160p.

I tried all these cards: 1 Titan X, 2x 980, 1x 295X2 and frankly, for 1000 bucks, the Titan X is the best. That's when a pair of 980 cost you 1100. But if a pair of 980 cost 900 then I'd go with 2 x 980. I play mostly aaa titles and only about 2-3 games a year so SLI support hopefully won't be a problem for me and I play at 2160p.

Seems like a sidegrade to me. And given the choice I'd go Titan X. At higher resolutions I found the experience between 980 SLI and a single Titan X to be the same roughly. 980 SLI had higher raw frames, but since the frame times on the TX are lower - it felt just as smooth, plus the added benefit of not having to deal with multi GPU profiles.

So does anybody have any experience with the modded bios for the titan-x? I'm mostly just trying to get the power throttle to be higher. I seem to hit 110% way before I hit any instabilities with my overclocks. Not sure I want to mess with voltages though.

So does anybody have any experience with the modded bios for the titan-x? I'm mostly just trying to get the power throttle to be higher. I seem to hit 110% way before I hit any instabilities with my overclocks. Not sure I want to mess with voltages though.

See OCN ... I found voltage modding easier than power modding.

See OCN ... I found voltage modding easier than power modding.

What did you volt mod to? I am a little weary of volt modding past the BIOs mod of 1.3V. I was hitting nearly 400W in fur mark at 1.3V/1500Mhz. I couldn't find info on what these cards could handle... It would be irresponsible for me to fry my card with my current job situation. As tempting as it is.

What did you volt mod to? I am a little weary of volt modding past the BIOs mod of 1.3V. I was hitting nearly 400W in fur mark at 1.3V/1500Mhz. I couldn't find info on what these cards could handle... It would be irresponsible for me to fry my card with my current job situation. As tempting as it is.

Oh nothing that high. I think I pegged all the upper freqs to 1.21v, and I raised the min floor from 0.86 to 0.95v on the low end.

Back