NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Video Card Review @ [H]

yes but how is Titan really all that special? its a gimped card that is not even fully functional. and its only 40% faster than 680 which was only 35% faster than the 580 for the same price. and that $500 was already a poor value for the 580. by that I mean the 570 offered way more bang for buck and went on sale more. Nvidia just keeps creeping the prices on up to crazy levels while not really giving much more. here we are nearly 2.5 years after the already relatively poor value 580 launched and and we get the first real next gen single gpu performance jump and it costs 1000 bucks? that's fucking insane. so in a few months we will get a fully functioning GK110 Titan 2 for 1200 bucks maybe? and many of you will not see anything wrong with it. you are just not seeing how these high prices are trickling down to what used to be affordable cards that delivered decent gains at the same time.

Last edited:
yes but how is Titan really all that special? its a gimped card that is not even fully functional. and its only 40% faster than 680 which was only 35% faster than the 580 for the same price. and that $500 was already a poor value for the 580. by that I mean the 570 offered way more bang for buck and went on sale more. Nvidia just keeps creeping the prices on up to crazy levels while not really giving much more. here we are nearly 2.5 years after the already relatively poor value 580 launched and and we get the first real next gen single gpu performance jump and it costs 1000 bucks? that's fucking insane. so in a few months we will get a fully functioning GK110 Titan 2 for 1200 bucks maybe? and many of you will not see anything wrong with it. you are just not seeing how these high prices are trickling down to what used to be affordable cards that delivered decent gains at the same time.

I think the best thing for most, in this case, is to simply wait for AMD to release their next gen offerings. Prices will then settle accordingly.

The 480 -> 580 -> 680 leaps have always been around 20% in performance gains. The prices always around $500-$600. Titan has nothing to compete with it. Perhaps it is not what you want or expected for the price...but there are certainly folks out there that are VERY happy with the performance. A bit too expensive? Yes. But, again, that's AMD not having anything competitive...so NVIDIA is pricing accordingly at the top-end. It may suck, but there's no reason for NVIDIA to just be nice to us and price it lower...especially when their "older" product (680) goes head to head with AMD's top end (7970).

Show me any other GPU that beats it?

When you have a market leadership position you get to set the price, that's always the way it has been. No surprises there.

Zarathustra[H];1039717463 said:
Show me any other GPU that beats it?

When you have a market leadership position you get to set the price, that's always the way it has been. No surprises there.
did you really not comprehend a single thing I said? and using your logic why stop at $1000?

did you really not comprehend a single thing I said? and using your logic why stop at $1000?

And that logic is accurate.

A Ferrari is only a bit faster than a high end Mustang, yet it costs a lot more.

Pricing never scales linearly.

Top end cards will never have the same bang for the buck as lower end ones.

This is true today, and has always been true.

The only reason Nvidia is able to charge like they do for the Titan is because of the lack of competition for it. If AMD had a similar card, the pricing would be lower.

Now, why $1000, and not $2000? Probably because they figured they could sell a bunch at $1000 but not at $2000. And it looks like they may even have sold it a bit too cheaply, seeing how they are all out of stock.

Now as to the skimping, I'm not sure what you are talking about. It's one of the most solid boards I have ever seen, and I've been building computers since the early 90s.

You also have to get a way from the false belief that pricing has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with what it costs a manufacturer to make something, or what you get with it. it isn't.

Manufacturers costs and pricing float separately. Pricing is determined entirely upon what people are willing to pay for something. (or, what a seller THINKS people are willing to pay for it), and is completely separate from actual costs. When it works out such that selling price is higher than cost of manufacture, something might get made, when the equation flips in the opposite direction, it probably won't.

There is no precedent setting here. As soon as AMD has a competitive product, the pricing will be driven down. it's all about competition and willingness to pay.

You are obviously not willing to pay, so don' get one. Simple :p

No one is forcing it on you. No one is cheating out. You aren't owed a fancy video card at a low price, by either AMD or Nvidia.

They are businesses, and as such exist to maximize profit for their shareholders. Everything else is secondary.

Care to elaborate? Or are you just here to be Debbie downer? :)
I thought I already had. the gtx580 was released 2.5 years ago at 500 bucks which we all know is a poor value compared to the gtx570 for 350. yes thats just how it goes for the top end cards so that is normal. one of the points I was making is that the Titan is the first real performance jump we have had for a single gpu in those 2.5 years. what we end up with though is card that is twice the price of what the 2.5 year old gtx580 launched at. that just shows how shitty this generation has been for those looking for a real upgrade without paying insanely high prices. so 2.5 years from now will it be okay to charge $2000 for a card that will be twice as fast as the Titan?

I thought I already had. the gtx580 was released 2.5 years ago at 500 bucks which we all know is a poor value compared to the gtx570 for 350. yes thats just how it goes for the top end cards so that is normal. one of the point I was making is that the Titan is the first real performance jump we have had for a single gpu in those 2.5 years. what we end with though is card that is twice the price of the 2.5 year old gtx580. that just shows how shitty this generation has been for those looking for a real upgrade without paying insanely high prices. so 2.5 years from now will it be okay to charge $2000 for a card that will be twice as fast as the Titan?

Yeah, I think the problem here is your understanding of business. Without competition, the market sets prices based on perceived value and demand. Again - blame AMD. Prices will settle when they launch their next gen part. Until then, there's no reason for NVIDIA to lower prices because their "old" GPU goes head to head with AMD's best.

Besides, the luxury, top-end card has never made financial sense. It's not for everyone.

Yeah, I think the problem here is your understanding of business. Without competition, the market sets prices based on perceived value and demand. Again - blame AMD. Prices will settle when they launch their next gen part. Until then, there's no reason for NVIDIA to lower prices because their "old" GPU goes head to head with AMD's best.

Besides, the luxury, top-end card has never made financial sense. It's not for everyone.
yeah I am looking at it from just the customers view as again those high prices trickle down. the Titan is not some limited edition card. its the first worthy successor to the 2.5 year old gtx580 and 1000 bucks is insane. 2.5 years later we should not be paying 400-500 bucks for measly 30-35% gains over the old gtx570 and gtx580.

yeah I am looking at it from just the customers view as again those high prices trickle down. the Titan is not some limited edition card. its the first worthy successor to the 2.5 year old gtx580 and 1000 bucks is insane. 2.5 years later we should not be paying 400-500 bucks for measly 30-35% gains over the old gtx570 and gtx580.

Based on your assessment of what the pace of development should be, but the pace of advancement might just be permanently slowing down - and like it or not, the days of 50% increases generation to generation are likely gone. You might get a jump like that on a process change, but the 680 and Titan are still on the same process as the 580. Nvidia and AMD just aren't putting the same kind of focus on discrete cards as they were in times past - remember the days of 6 month refreshes?

Based on your assessment of what the pace of development should be, but the pace of advancement might just be permanently slowing down - and like it or not, the days of 50% increases generation to generation are likely gone. You might get a jump like that on a process change, but the 680 and Titan are still on the same process as the 580. Nvidia and AMD just aren't putting the same kind of focus on discrete cards as they were in times past - remember the days of 6 month refreshes?
the 580 is 40nm and the GTX680 and Titan are 28nm.

Actually in some newer testing, Titan is shown to be 2 to 5x faster in actual frame delivery
latency than SLI and especially Crossfire. This is becoming the ultimate determining factor in how smooth the gaming experience is, because its more accurate than fps, which includes runt frames.
Check it out.
http://www./forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/60166-nvidia-gtx-titan-vs-sli-crossfire-15.html

A thousand bucks may not be so unreasonable after all.

That's an interesting article but I fear it's answering the wrong question. It's long been known that three-card solutions produce a much smoother experience than two-card solutions. So the comparison should not be between a Titan and 2x 680 or 2x7970 but between a Titan and 3x 660 Ti / 670 or 3x 7950.

Anyone know why my evga precision is reporting 525mhz even when im in a game for the titan? Is that correct?

Anyone know why my evga precision is reporting 525mhz even when im in a game for the titan? Is that correct?

What game? vsync? 60 fps and 35% gpu activity? It's fine then. You can go into the nv control panel and choose "prefer max performance" (vs adaptive) if you'd like.

What game? vsync? 60 fps and 35% gpu activity? It's fine then. You can go into the nv control panel and choose "prefer max performance" (vs adaptive) if you'd like.

Agree with he above.

If you have vsync or adaptive vsync on, you will be capped at 60fps. For some older titles or even more modern titles on lower resolutions, 60fps may not be enough to fully challenge the card, in which case it will down clock itself to save power.

To test if this is the case, turn vsync off and see what happens.

I switched from a 680 OC to a Titan today and now my games run as I imagined they would when I bought the 680.

Absolutely superb gaming experience on this thing. Smitten with it.

I'll be living off corn and rice for months but it's worth it.

Not as high in 3D Mark 11 as expected though. 12800 in that, thought it would be higher although the GPU score is nearly 15k.

As far as the frame time stuff goes, all I can say is that I'm really happy with Crossfire, and I'm coming from a Titan...

I recently moved to CF 7950s from a Titan and I'm finding the 7950s way smoother in most games. Crossfire has improved dramatically since my last dual GPU setup (2x5870). Those cards had terrible cases of microstuttering and put me off from ever going dual GPU again, but these 7950s are awesome, at least in the games I've tried so far...

BioShock Infinite, in particular, runs significantly better on the CF 7950s. My Titan could only manag around 40 average and it felt extremely jittery. Disappointing for a $1k card. My 7950s keep it pegged at 60 99% of the time and it's super smooth.

So in my opinion, Titan isn't worth it unless you can afford two of them...

The obvious pairing for the Titan is Sharp's new 4K monitor. Except the monitor is really two 1920x2160 panels and Nvidia's multi-monitor technology doesn't seem to work with only two screens...

Well not much to add here but I got three of the evga titan sc running 4 monitors at 6000×1200 and coming from three 680sc cards wow these are the cards I have been waiting for all my life coming from the old voodoo card days I can't make these cards fail at all just amazing performance yes very pricey but I'm one of those people that will pay top dollar and I'm not rich lol ...very very very...did I say very smooth gameplay I'm sorry to all the haters yes too expensive but for me I'm in love. with a +55 on the gpu I'm getting p28040 3d mark11 cards running at 1110ghz stock bios and no throttling but I've always been lucky when it comes to good cards:) if you can get two!!!!!do it.

As far as the frame time stuff goes, all I can say is that I'm really happy with Crossfire, and I'm coming from a Titan...

I recently moved to CF 7950s from a Titan and I'm finding the 7950s way smoother in most games. Crossfire has improved dramatically since my last dual GPU setup (2x5870). Those cards had terrible cases of microstuttering and put me off from ever going dual GPU again, but these 7950s are awesome, at least in the games I've tried so far...

BioShock Infinite, in particular, runs significantly better on the CF 7950s. My Titan could only manag around 40 average and it felt extremely jittery. Disappointing for a $1k card. My 7950s keep it pegged at 60 99% of the time and it's super smooth.

So in my opinion, Titan isn't worth it unless you can afford two of them...

you are lying out of your ass and its detectable from across the universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an interesting article but I fear it's answering the wrong question. It's long been known that three-card solutions produce a much smoother experience than two-card solutions. So the comparison should not be between a Titan and 2x 680 or 2x7970 but between a Titan and 3x 660 Ti / 670 or 3x 7950.

This seems counter intuitive on to many levels to express in less than a thousand words.

Bought one of these yesterday - had a massive win @the races, wife was rapt and told me to buy the Titan she had read about - what a great wife!!!! Anyway, they really are all that - I played FC3 all nite, everything on Ultra that can be, using the 305t @ 25x16. Never been able to do that, even the 690 was stressing but the Titan? A bit of heat out the back admitedly but the IQ and smoothness, even @ slow 60hz was just perfect..If you have $1000 to throw away and love your PC you won't regret it...

Back