NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Video Card Review @ [H]

Cute, but the chip wasn't ready until relatively recently for ANY release even for Tesla cards, and many people worth listening to far more than yourself like the Titan. Its strength speaks for itself.
yes, 75% faster than the now 2.5 year gtx580 for TWICE the price that old card launched at in 2010. wow that is real progress right there. we should have gotten at least somewhat close to that for a next gen gtx580 replacement over a year ago.

yes, 75% faster than the now 2.5 year gtx580 for TWICE the price of that old card launched at in 2010. wow that is real progress right there. he is right cause we should have gotten at least close to that for a next gen gtx580 replacement over a year ago.

Says who? How about you go make a multi-billion dollar GPU manufacturer and go release super-fast, financially infeasible solutions. Let me know when you're done, and I'll let you know when you're out of business. Don't worry, it'll be fast!

Says who? How about you go make a multi-billion dollar GPU manufacturer and go release super-fast, financially infeasible solutions. Let me know when you're done, and I'll let you know when you're out of business. Don't worry, it'll be fast!
yes I will get right on that :rolleyes:

LMAO

For single card only yes.

For 800-900 you can get 2 7970's and go past the Titan.

I really want to see how well the Titan scales with 3-4 gpu's compared to the 680/7970.

meh, I already have a 7990 so maybe $400 more. Same goes for people who own a 680 already too.

Cute, but the chip wasn't ready until relatively recently for ANY release even for Tesla cards, and many people worth listening to far more than yourself like the Titan. Its strength speaks for itself.
No, $$ speaks for itself.

The price to performance really sucks. Its a good card and all, but really seems more towards spending the $$ to have the best, no matter what.
I dont think anybody has disputed its strength, just the massive weakness.

For single card only yes.

For 800-900 you can get 2 7970's and go past the Titan.

I really want to see how well the Titan scales with 3-4 gpu's compared to the 680/7970.

Always been a fan of honking great single cards for smoothness and ever growing CPGPU support is important for video editing. Titan is aimed at people like me and I appreciate it but just seems too little, too late, too expensive. Such is a boutique card.

Have a feeling the titan will scale well with all the vram, could possibly end up being optimized for less sli bus rape and a smoother experience overall for large sli setups.

No, $$ speaks for itself.

The price to performance really sucks. Its a good card and all, but really seems more towards spending the $$ to have the best, no matter what.
I dont think anybody has disputed its strength, just the massive weakness.

Expensive is relative.

Expensive is relative.

My wife and I make $150,000/year and $1000 is expensive for this card lol.

Expensive is relative.................... Because I know theres clowns out there making $50,000/year buying this card like its gold.

I wonder how many people who have supported this pricing have complained about ammunition and gun pricing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Expensive is relative.................... Because I know theres clowns out there making $50,000/year buying this card like its gold.

Priorities are relative also.

I've seen people making six figures buried in debt, and another person making $35,000 debt free.
$1000 spent on this doesn't mean a person is wasteful. You have to look at the whole financial picture.

"Pay up Sucka!"

That is the phrase that comes to mind when I think about the way that NVIDIA has priced this video game card.

Regardless of one's income the high cost of Titan doesn't match its performance and I think that is why most people with common sense and money have a hard time throwing their money away on this card.

To me this card is worth no more than $500 new.

"Pay up Sucka!"

That is the phrase that comes to mind when I think about the way that NVIDIA has priced this video game card.

Nvidia is positioning it as a game card, but it's not as stated in the review.
There's a $2-300 compute premium IMO. If it was a pure gaming card, I'm sure it would have been closer to $700.

$500? How? 4GB 680s still go for $500+.

He is referring to firearms related pricing having gone through the roof recently. Big boy toys. :D

$500? How? 4GB 680s still go for $500+.

I don't need that much VRAM and that is why I don't put a high value on it even if I did need it I would't pay over $500 for it.

My $300 HD7950s with 3GB do a great job at meeting my gaming needs.

HD7900 cards owned first gen GTX 600 cards in compute performance and I think that the only reason NVIDIA added some compute performance to the Titan is to help justify the high price.

My HD7950 does good at compute performance but I use it to game all the time. Other then running a few compute benchmarks to see how well it performs in compute I don't use the compute features at all.

Last edited:
Almost every new generation has been close to equivalent of the previous generation's SLI or crossfire. Titan is no exception to this. Yet since Nvidia has no current competition to Titan they are RAPING consumers.

Rape is not consensual, buying a video card is. Something I like to remind people of when we are playing FPS and the other team is owning us. There's probably a more accurate analogy. In any case, it's a pay to play situation, but your free to chose what settings are acceptable to you.

IMO surround is getting to be less and less optional for FPS.

IMO surround is getting to be less and less optional for FPS.

I don't see the the performance advantage to surround gaming at the most competitive FPS level.

Good audio headphones and a single display with eyes easily able to see controllable sector of fire range covering about 60 degrees seems much better than having a huge 180 degree sector of fire where you have to strain your eyes and body to react to the huge sector of fire.

Every Titan thread has become so boring. Price blah blah blah.

I cant wait till people start getting these cards in their rigs so we can get back to talking about something interesting. For the price being so terrible I cant find one in stock anywhere.:rolleyes:

I cant wait till people start getting these cards in their rigs so we can get back to talking about something interesting. For the price being so terrible I cant find one in stock anywhere.:rolleyes:
Which means it is either selling super good or there is not much in stock yet.
Maybe both?
Maybe neither?

Its boring until more testing comes. I have went to some other "computer" sites, and that was a waste. I will wait for [H] to do the triple Titan review.

Which means it is either selling super good or there is not much in stock yet.
Maybe both?
Maybe neither?

Its boring until more testing comes. I have went to some other "computer" sites, and that was a waste. I will wait for [H] to do the triple Titan review.

I had one in my cart at the EVGA store. I got to the very end. Hit place order and then it tells me sold out. I was a little pissed about that. I didnt know people could snatch it right out of your cart.:) Thought they would give me at least a minute to finsih the transaction.

the ASUS model was in stock on Newegg for like 3 days...

Considering with most GPU launches the card sell out within hours I would say this card isn't exactly flying off the shelves. You'll probably be able to snag one easily once the next shipment comes in.

I don't see the the performance advantage to surround gaming at the most competitive FPS level.

Good audio headphones and a single display with eyes easily able to see controllable sector of fire range covering about 60 degrees seems much better than having a huge 180 degree sector of fire where you have to strain your eyes and body to react to the huge sector of fire.

Given choice of having larger peripheral vision in a simulated combat situation it has become obvious to me the advantage people have because when players can see me and I am in what should be their blind spot and they are able to react and live when normally they wouldn't. Every "little" advantage adds up. The Titan would be a no-brainer for me at $750, at this point, I'm more likely to upgrade my monitor first - especially since I now have a horizontal black line all of a sudden. :(

Brent - Have you considered GTX680 4 GB cards in SLI. It seems that several of the games are memory limited so the 4GB might make the difference.

the ASUS model was in stock on Newegg for like 3 days...

Considering with most GPU launches the card sell out within hours I would say this card isn't exactly flying off the shelves. You'll probably be able to snag one easily once the next shipment comes in.

No, it wasn't. It was on pre-order for an hour or two, went out of stock with a March ship date for orders after, then changed back to February briefly before now showing out of stock. These things are selling damn well if the forums are accurate, for a $1k video card that isn't a mass-market product like you are looking for.

I just hope the [H] staff bans anybody who price troll's in other threads. I can see it in this thread..but all others should be verboten.

Indeed, I too tried to grab a Titan, but I was sent an email after the order completed telling me my order was voided due to stock.

Given choice of having larger peripheral vision in a simulated combat situation it has become obvious to me the advantage people have because when players can see me and I am in what should be their blind spot and they are able to react and live when normally they wouldn't. Every "little" advantage adds up. The Titan would be a no-brainer for me at $750, at this point, I'm more likely to upgrade my monitor first - especially since I now have a horizontal black line all of a sudden. :(
If you got a monitor with higher resolution you would need 2 Titans?
Wouldnt it be cheaper to get a 2nd 680?
Unless you want only single card, and dont max everything anyways.

No, it wasn't. It was on pre-order for an hour or two, went out of stock with a March ship date for orders after, then changed back to February briefly before now showing out of stock. These things are selling damn well if the forums are accurate, for a $1k video card that isn't a mass-market product like you are looking for.

Neweggs site must be messed up for me then, because I consistently saw it in stock. Only the EVGA model sold out quick...

I wonder how many people who have supported this pricing have complained about ammunition and gun pricing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

It's all about what you think of value. Also really has to do with your financials. I make significantly less than you and your wife about 40% or so less but my monthly expense are also ridiculously low for some one of my income and I save a lot plus I don't have any kids. There are a lot of people out there like me who though make less than you can easily justify its price if they wanted to. Not saying I do, but this is not that expensive in the world of hardware just overpriced.

I've never played with surround, but I would imagine It's really more about focusing on the center monitor, and only using the side monitors for peripheral vision.

To that end, what I would really like to see is the option to drop the resolution of the side monitors to half, or so of the center monitor, to increase performance., since peripheral vision doesn't need all that resolution.

SoftTH allows for this, which is pretty awesome. (It's drawbacks are DX9 only, single GPU only)

It's all about what you think of value. Also really has to do with your financials. I make significantly less than you and your wife about 40% or so less but my monthly expense are also ridiculously low for some one of my income and I save a lot plus I don't have any kids. There are a lot of people out there like me who though make less than you can easily justify its price if they wanted to. Not saying I do, but this is not that expensive in the world of hardware just overpriced.
Even if I had no kids(I have 3), I still wouldnt buy the Titan. I am into price/performance and couldnt bring myself to do it.

Even if I had no kids(I have 3), I still wouldnt buy the Titan. I am into price/performance and couldnt bring myself to do it.

Which is pretty much why I didnt buy the TItan. Though if it was faster than a 690 by 10-15% at $999 I would have bought it in a heart beat, probably would have bought 2 and start a brand new build which I have been aching to do. But Titan is not faster than a 690 or 2 7970 GEs, or come close to either so I will probably stick to a 7970 until the GTX7xx or HD 8xxx comes out before I make the final decision on Titan.

Which is pretty much why I didnt buy the TItan. Though if it was faster than a 690 by 10-15% at $999 I would have bought it in a heart beat, probably would have bought 2 and start a brand new build which I have been aching to do. But Titan is not faster than a 690 or 2 7970 GEs, or come close to either so I will probably stick to a 7970 until the GTX7xx or HD 8xxx comes out before I make the final decision on Titan.

I'm having a terrible time finding anyone posting overclocked performance results (just the clock speeds they were able to achieve). I wonder if Nvidia disallowed this for some reason?

But if the Titan trails a stock 690 by 10-15% and if 1100mhz is commonly achievable on retail boards as has been suggested (Guru3d was able to hit 1176 as I recall, but lets use 1100 to err on the safe side), then an overclocked Titan will beat a stock 690 by between 7 and 13%

Now the question is, how well does the 690 overclock? Having never played with one, and never been interested enough to read up on it, I don't have a clue, but I'm betting OC vs. OC a Titan and a 690 are going to be pretty damned close, and the Titan has all the benefits of being single GPU...

I find your comment condescending. You should refrain from posting how much you make and how you feel about people who make less than you. Btw, just so that you know, I'm in the above 50k a year bracket but I still find your comment somewhat offensive. And yes, I'm somewhat contradicting myself by stating my earnings but it's to prove a point.

If you state that "expensive is relative", then you should already know how much one makes has no relevance to how one chooses to spend his/her money.

If someone finds "value" in what they purchase, regardless if it's cheap or expensive, and it brings a smile to their face at the end of the day, isn't that all that really matters?

I find your comment condescending. You should refrain from posting how much you make and how you feel about people who make less than you. Btw, just so that you know, I'm in the above 50k a year bracket but I still find your comment somewhat offensive. And yes, I'm somewhat contradicting myself by stating my earnings but it's to prove a point.

If you state that "expensive is relative", then you should already know how much one makes has no relevance to how one chooses to spend his/her money.

If someone finds "value" in what they purchase, regardless if it's cheap or expensive, and it brings a smile to their face at the end of the day, isn't that all that really matters?
Well, he was kind of making a point too. He was saying that the speed doesnt seem to justify the price, even when somebody makes good money.

But your last statement is pretty much dead on target.

Well, he was kind of making a point too. He was saying that the speed doesnt seem to justify the price, even when somebody makes good money.

But your last statement is pretty much dead on target.

He could have made that point without talking about how much he earns. Just all I'm sayin...

The regularly scheduled picketing of your local Ferrari dealership has been postponed due to weather.

Back