NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Video Card Review @ [H]

So nearly 12 months on from the 680 we have a card which is approx 30% faster and cost twice as much. Oh but that's ok because it has a fancy name and a load of VRAM.
And you wont be able to use all that vram on a single monitor with a single card, since it doesnt support surround unless you have 2-3. A con for some people.

So nearly 12 months on from the 680 we have a card which is approx 30% faster and cost twice as much. Oh but that's ok because it has a fancy name and a load of VRAM.

Don't buy it, keep your 680 and leave that grand in your piggy bank. Sleep well feeling you're a smart consumer. Buy the next next-gen card when it comes out next year.

If you don't like the product for whatever the reason, then don't buy it. It's simple as that. They are plenty of people who will buy these regardless if it's $800 or $1000 due to the fact that it's the new king of single GPU platform.

This card isn't marketed to those that are looking for best bang for the buck. It's a premium product fetching a premium price.

If you don't like the Titan because you feel Nvidia has over-priced it, then there are plenty of other products offered by both Nvidia and AMD that you can choose from or you can wait until end of this year or next to see what else is offered from both camps.

Food for thought: Bugatti Veyron SS is a $2.5 million dollar car that can go 250 mph plus. Ferrari Enzo debuted at less than $700,000 and it can go about 220 mph. Does increase of about 10% in speed (and other features) justify paying additional $1.8 million dollars for a sports car? And the answer is yes for those that the car is marketed towards. The same applies to the Titan.

I feel like the crackhead from Dave Chappelle Show due the amount of upgrade itch Titan is giving me.

Anyway, I'm definitely considering getting couple of these with my tax returns. I also need to stop scratching my self... damn itch.

You and me both.

Thinking of saying "screw it " on waiting on Haswell to build a new PC for games and video encoding. An oc'd 3770K on some decent Z77 board with two Titans would serve me well for some time I bet. Just need to pick a MB......

If you don't like the product for whatever the reason, then don't buy it. It's simple as that. They are plenty of people who will buy these regardless if it's $800 or $1000 due to the fact that it's the new king of single GPU platform.

This card isn't marketed to those that are looking for best bang for the buck. It's a premium product fetching a premium price.

If you don't like the Titan because you feel Nvidia has over-priced it, then there are plenty of other products offered by both Nvidia and AMD that you can choose from or you can wait until end of this year or next to see what else is offered from both camps.

Food for thought: Bugatti Veyron SS is a $2.5 million dollar car that can go 250 mph plus. Ferrari Enzo debuted at less than $700,000 and it can go about 220 mph. Does increase of about 10% in speed (and other features) justify paying additional $1.8 million dollars for a sports car? And the answer is yes for those that the car is marketed towards. The same applies to the Titan.
Well put.

NVidia has not finished working on the GTX Titan; it’s just in a new phase, the con’sumer phase, and what a scam it is at $1000. It is bested by the GTX 690 in every test; ‘as the benchmark chart clearly shows, the GTX 690 is still faster in every test (MPC),’ and ‘Two GTX 680s in SLI still beat out two GTX Titans in SLI in several tests including Batman, Crysis 3, and Heaven 4.0 (MPC).’

This is relevant because whenever NVidia’s people release their single-fastest GPU solution, it is lesser than their previous fastest GPU in SLI and dual GPU card, here two GTX 680s or one GTX 690. Just understand, with their GTX Titan, the company’s people continue to push for new higher prices, passing the $500-$600 mark, really—to $1000—with hype and artificial shortages to create false demand, working the market with their greed.

An example of the way NVidia operates, the GTX 480 was more than $500 at the time when I bought three. After that, I discovered all GTX 480s were so lame that they were disabled at the factory; but, a few months later the GTX 580 arrived, and it was a real Fermi. NVidia’s people tricked me with their GTX 480.

Do not let NVidia rip you off as I have let them do it to me. I trusted them. NVidia’s people will scam you if you are ill-advised, and they will make it sound fun.

Sincerely,
Joseph C. Carbone III; 23 February 2013

Last edited:
according to techpowerup, the Titan is about 75% faster than the gtx580. so for the first real big improvement we have over a last gen top single gpu card we now have to pay TWICE what that old card launched at nearly 2.5 years ago? lol

We always hear these answers, just like if you dont like windows 8 dont buy it. Not much thought put into it.
People already know this, they are just stating their opinion on the price.

How about why its not worth it, or what would make it worth it?

Jeebus folks, many of you just don't get it: most here aren't a target market. Targets markets include:

1. Those with deep wallets.
2. Those forced to restrict themselves to a single GPU.
3. CUDA users.

No. There is 6Gb for a reason on the Titan.

The Titan is for those using multi-monitors high-res set-ups. I'm gaming at 7680X1600, so I bought 3 Titans. That's it. 6Gb is for multiple monitors with a really high-res, like 3X 30'' or 3X 24''. Under that, you DON'T need a Titan and 6Gb.

The second category is for people that don't want to use SLI and want to use a single card. And even those should not buy the Titan. And people gaming at 1080p 120Hz are not the target also.

Sadly, 99% of the people who will buy a Titan don't need a Titan. But the hype, Nvidia viral marketing, the e-peen , and reviewers giving bad advices, will make people that don't need a Titan at all for their system buy a Titan.

I've seen many people with el cheapo 200$ 1080p monitor saying they are buying a Titan everywhere, it's not even funny. They should buy a better monitor, or 3, before buying a 1000$ card. You don't use a 1000$ with a 200$ monitor. It's stupid. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
It is bested by the GTX 690 in every test; ‘as the benchmark chart clearly shows, the GTX 690 is still faster in every test

Of course the GTX 690 beats out the Titan. It's two slightly crippled GTX 680's vs one gpu. However, from what I've seen so far, GTX 690 has about avg of 10% performance advantage over the Titan. That is pretty incredible considering it's two GPU's vs one.

Two GTX 680s in SLI still beat out two GTX Titans in SLI in several tests including Batman, Crysis 3, and Heaven 4.0 (MPC).

We must have been to very different review sites. But, if what you say it's true, that's only because it's a new card and the SLI profiles have not been updated yet. Give Nvidia about two driver revisions and SLI'd Titans will spank the shit out the SLI'd 680's.

One thing Nvidia does right is their dedication to quality drivers (and yes, I'm fully aware of couple of their hiccups in the past).

We always hear these answers, just like if you dont like windows 8 dont buy it. Not much thought put into it.
People already know this, they are just stating their opinion on the price.

How about why its not worth it, or what would make it worth it?

There are two sides to this. The Titan is considerably better than anything else on the market, period. However the performance increase over previous gen doesn't seem to warrant the $999 which I think is also very much true.

Bottom line, AMD has taken the year off, the 600 series hasn't been replaced and the Titan is a notch above the 600 series. Of course we would have all liked to have had a GK 110 based 700 series but the GPU race is just going to be slow this year it look and nVidia is simply taking advantage of that. So yes, no competition is hurting consumers. But it's called capitalism for a reason. You capitalize on opportunity to make money whenever and however you can within the law, and sometimes outside of it.

There are two sides to this. The Titan is considerably better than anything else on the market, period. However the performance increase over previous gen doesn't seem to warrant the $999 which I think is also very much true.

Bottom line, AMD has taken the year off, the 600 series hasn't been replaced and the Titan is a notch above the 600 series. Of course we would have all liked to have had a GK 110 based 700 series but the GPU race is just going to be slow this year it look and nVidia is simply taking advantage of that. So yes, no competition is hurting consumers. But it's called capitalism for a reason. You capitalize on opportunity to make money whenever and however you can within the law, and sometimes outside of it.
Yeah, I am still rocking my 5850, but I dont game as much anymore, unless a good game comes out.
I sure hope AMD comes back with something good!

Yes, I dont agree on the price per performance, though it really depends on some factors, but overall yeah.

Why do people keep bringing in AMD into this. AMD has nothing got to do with the pricing of Titan. The Titan is a once off niche card that's been used to get rid of some binned K20x parts. It won't affect the sales of other cards at all.

Someone mentioned the bugatti veyron a few posts ago, and it's exactly like that. Normal rules don't apply. It's not meant for normal users, it's for those people who can afford something a little bit unique. It's not lack of competition that has set the price of this card.

And lastly, the Titan isn't next generation. Can you please all stop comparing the release of this card to other nvidia releases. The 7xx series is the next round of cards from Nvidia, the Titan is outside the normal run of things.

Thats because reviewers have failed to investigate until recently, except for Hardocp, why Crossfire higher frame numbers did not translate into smoother game play. Now we know why.

Actually on numerous other websites they show something totally different.

So I would take that review with a grain of salt.

Not at all. Thats because reviewers have failed to investigate until recently, except for Hardocp, why Crossfire higher frame numbers did not translate into smoother game play. Now we know why.

Why do people keep bringing in AMD into this. AMD has nothing got to do with the pricing of Titan. The Titan is a once off niche card that's been used to get rid of some binned K20x parts. It won't affect the sales of other cards at all.

Someone mentioned the bugatti veyron a few posts ago, and it's exactly like that. Normal rules don't apply. It's not meant for normal users, it's for those people who can afford something a little bit unique. It's not lack of competition that has set the price of this card.

And lastly, the Titan isn't next generation. Can you please all stop comparing the release of this card to other nvidia releases. The 7xx series is the next round of cards from Nvidia, the Titan is outside the normal run of things.
So if AMD came out with a card that outperformed nvidias titan, and was only 800, everybody would say hell no, i want to pay more for my card with less performance?
OK....

I bet they might reconsider a price reduction.

I preordered two from Amazon. Should be an interesting option for 7680x1440 with a couple of these newer titles.

I don't see how AMD doesn't come up in the price of Titan pricing. How can one not wonder what an 8000 series from AMD would look like and how it would perform? The topline in that series could have potentially been very close to the Titan at a lot less money. I remember that $360 I got back in 2008 for the 3 GTX 280s I bought when the Radeon HD 4000 series came along and was some competitive that it forced nVidia retroactively hand out rebates. That was purely the result of competition. Had the HD 4000 not come along, I'd never seen that $360.

Fair enough, it's still a Kepler but it isn't a GK104 Kepler. So next 1/2 gen.

So if AMD came out with a card that outperformed nvidias titan, and was only 800, everybody would say hell no, i want to pay more for my card with less performance?
OK....

This isn't a normal card, this card is more like the Asus Ares cards. They are going to be priced high no matter what. And Look, they are already competing against their own 690 card. Which is a faster card for less money.

This isn't a normal card, this card is more like the Asus Ares cards. They are going to be priced high no matter what. And Look, they are already competing against their own 690 card. Which is a faster card for less money.

Um, no. It is quite different from Ares II. First of all, it's a single GPU solution. Secondly, the Titan is officially released by Nvidia itself while Ares II is an ASUS only product.

+1 what hdnut said.

It is competing but then it isnt. The 690 is a dual card, the Titan is single.
Its give and take, pros vs cons, etc.

I don't see how AMD doesn't come up in the price of Titan pricing. How can one not wonder what an 8000 series from AMD would look like and how it would perform? The topline in that series could have potentially been very close to the Titan at a lot less money. I remember that $360 I got back in 2008 for the 3 GTX 280s I bought when the Radeon HD 4000 series came along and was some competitive that it forced nVidia retroactively hand out rebates. That was purely the result of competition. Had the HD 4000 not come along, I'd never seen that $360.

Fair enough, it's still a Kepler but it isn't a GK104 Kepler. So next 1/2 gen.

We can wonder all we like about what the next generation of both AMD and Nvidia will bring to the table. But, everybody is treating this like a normal release. It's not. It's not a normal production card, there isn't going to a scaled down version of this. It's a unique card in very small numbers, much like the Asus Ares line of cards.

I am not saying you are wrong, that competition isn't good. It's just in the case of this card I don't think in such a low volume card, radically different card that it would affect the price of this card all that much.

If you read the review here, it says all about this card right there on the first page. It's very much first generation kepler. It's a very compute orientated kepler thats been turned into a gaming card. Some of the requirements of been designed for use in supercomputers has benefitted the gaming side of things. The biggest one has been the High efficiency parts. Look at how low the TDP is for such an enormous chip, how cool it stays and how quiet the fans are because of all this. GPU boost 2, well, I am still deciding if that's good or bad!!

And the other thing that makes this card unique is the fully unlocked FP64 cores. I mean consumer card from Nvidia with all that DP compute power?? This isn't just a normal gaming card.

Um, no. It is quite different from Ares II. First of all, it's a single GPU solution. Secondly, the Titan is officially released by Nvidia itself while Ares II is an ASUS only product.

No, you don't get the point. The Ares two is special run, a once off card, it's more of a special project to see what they can do. It's price isn't really based on anything that Nvidia has out.

The same with Titan, it's not for the casual gamer. It's a special card, it might even be a test by Nvidia to see if there is a market for a custom card like this to come out every year.

I can't help you if you can't get this point. It's not in the normal cycle of cards, Nvidia have made it plain that it isn't, they even went out of the way to call it a name to make sure people wouldn't think that. But, it hasn't worked obviously.

I preordered two from Amazon. Should be an interesting option for 7680x1440 with a couple of these newer titles.
You and I are who this card is geared toward. If I get them I'm getting 3 or 4. If it takes me too long to do then ill wait for next gen.
Because of the 2gb per gpu is what kept me away from the 690. I'm glad we have a solution here that allows the higher memory bandwidth and the GPU power to go along with it to enable my higher resolutions to be more playable than before.

On a separate note. It sounds like with all of the arguing that Nvidia should never combine a compute card on a consumer level according to some people. I imagine there are a decent number of folks who want the best of both worlds.

I'm just glad they offer a product that can perform higher than what we have and the cost is still on an affordable level.

You and I are who this card is geared toward. If I get them I'm getting 3 or 4. If it takes me too long to do then ill wait for next gen.
Because of the 2gb per gpu is what kept me away from the 690. I'm glad we have a solution here that allows the higher memory bandwidth and the GPU power to go along with it to enable my higher resolutions to be more playable than before.

On a separate note. It sounds like with all of the arguing that Nvidia should never combine a compute card on a consumer level according to some people. I imagine there are a decent number of folks who want the best of both worlds.

I'm just glad they offer a product that can perform higher than what we have and the cost is still on an affordable level.
Memory bandwidth or actual memory?
I think at your resolution, 4gb+ would be better, but I dont know how much the bandwidth has played into any of them.

+1 what hdnut said.

It is competing but then it isnt. The 690 is a dual card, the Titan is single.
Its give and take, pros vs cons, etc.

My point is this card has more in common with the Ares2 than the 680 (for example). It's outside the usual process.

And you are right there is pros and cons. But to hear some people on these forums, SLI is perfect :p, so single versus dual card shouldn't be an issue, it should be all about performance!! :D

We can wonder all we like about what the next generation of both AMD and Nvidia will bring to the table. But, everybody is treating this like a normal release. It's not. It's not a normal production card, there isn't going to a scaled down version of this. It's a unique card in very small numbers, much like the Asus Ares line of cards.

I am not saying you are wrong, that competition isn't good. It's just in the case of this card I don't think in such a low volume card, radically different card that it would affect the price of this card all that much.

I agree with what you're saying, but there's no way that a half decent 8000 series would have allowed for a limited production card like the Titan to exist at the price point it does.

If you read the review here, it says all about this card right there on the first page. It's very much first generation kepler. It's a very compute orientated kepler thats been turned into a gaming card. Some of the requirements of been designed for use in supercomputers has benefitted the gaming side of things. The biggest one has been the High efficiency parts. Look at how low the TDP is for such an enormous chip, how cool it stays and how quiet the fans are because of all this. GPU boost 2, well, I am still deciding if that's good or bad!!

The review also says this at the end from Kyle:

NVIDIA does not see Titan as part of its GTX 600 series product line. NVIDIA’s branding and message with GTX Titan are consistent. NVIDIA does realize that it is has a product that will only impact a niche of an already small niche when you look at the entire enthusiast video card market. The Titan is just too expensive to be considered by most as an actual option. On the other hand the Titan is "freakin’ awesome" and worthy of excitement.

Read all of Kyle's remarks at the end of the review. He CLEARLY pointed out AMD in it and that Titan was something nVidia had cooking to deal with AMD but AMD bowed out this year in the discreet GPU market:

Kyle’s thoughts: I want to comment and share opinion here on several fronts when it comes to GeForce GTX Titan. While you will find all kinds of rumors and statements made about the GK110 silicon, it was never meant to end up on a retail video card. What we are seeing in Titan is a reaction from NVIDIA to what it thought AMD was going to launch and NVIDIA did not want to be seen as having no answer. AMD has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years of holding its cards close to its vest and simply put NVIDIA read its competition wrong and felt as though it was going to be in a position that it had to have a new product; and it did not. So we have a Titan launch and AMD has nothing hardware-wise.

And the other thing that makes this card unique is the fully unlocked FP64 cores. I mean consumer card from Nvidia with all that DP compute power?? This isn't just a normal gaming card.

Exactly, which goes to my point that this really isn't the same generation as GK 104:

[Kyle’s thoughts: I want to comment and share opinion here on several fronts when it comes to GeForce GTX Titan. While you will find all kinds of rumors and statements made about the GK110 silicon, it was never meant to end up on a retail video card.

No, you don't get the point. The Ares two is special run, a once off card, it's more of a special project to see what they can do. It's price isn't really based on anything that Nvidia has out.

The same with Titan, it's not for the casual gamer. It's a special card, it might even be a test by Nvidia to see if there is a market for a custom card like this to come out every year.

I can't help you if you can't get this point. It's not in the normal cycle of cards, Nvidia have made it plain that it isn't, they even went out of the way to call it a name to make sure people wouldn't think that. But, it hasn't worked obviously.

Perhaps you should elaborate your point better than just simply stating that it's the same as Ares II.

While I agree that it's a special card, it's not that "special" in the same context as Nvidia's compute cards used for rendering. If that's the case, I doubt EVGA and ASUS, who are only interested in making money from gamers with their products, would have been lining up to sell these cards.

Simply put, the Titans are gamer oriented cards with additional hardware to be used by professionals, if needed.

Wow..this card, Will the 384bit come into play regarding double-precision floating point operations? Stay when using it in video editing apps who relt on those for time-line renders? Cause in that case this card would actually be worth the money on a serious gaming/editing rig.

Memory bandwidth or actual memory?
I think at your resolution, 4gb+ would be better, but I dont know how much the bandwidth has played into any of them.
Well to be more specific when I game now most of the time I use more than 2gb of VRAM. Unfortunately I need more memory bandwidth to make it a more enjoyable experience, but it is still playable and worth while. So I guess I should have said that I'm glad we have a card now that has the bandwidth and the capacity for ultra high resolutions.

I don't understand the hate. Computer part performance/price has always been exponential. If you want someone to blame...blame AMD. If they were more competitive this card wouldn't be $900.

The GTX 690 isn't comparable.

I don't understand the hate. Computer part performance/price has always been exponential. If you want someone to blame...blame AMD. If they were more competitive this card wouldn't be $900.

The GTX 690 isn't comparable.

Amen.

A point made in the review, myself and many others but still controversial.

Could it be because it might be a bit simplistic? Nvidia charges $1000 for the card, this must be someone elses fault?

Nvidia charges $1000 for the card, because it makes sense for them business wise. The cards R&D is probably largely financed by the GPGPU marked already and they already have cards like the 690 around that price point with higher performance. This is a halo card. Nvidia probably don't have to sell that many of them and can just as well sell them for a large profit. They probably want this card more to increase sales of their other cards.

Some people are willing to pay $1000 for this card. If there were more competition from AMD, they might be less willing and Nvidia "might" lower prices (remember that when 5870 ruled the top end alone, Nvidia still asked for a price premium for their 280 cards). Nvidia knows their hardcore fanbase will chew and swallow this price, thats why it costs this much.

Don't blame AMD, blame those willing to pay this price and those defending the price. They are the ones making this card more expensive for everyone else. And blame Nvidia because the chose to capitalize on those.

Could it be because it might be a bit simplistic? Nvidia charges $1000 for the card, this must be someone elses fault?

Nothing simplistic about the notion at all. As I mentioned before, I was the recipient of a retroactive rebate from nVidia that was entirely due to competition from AMD. There's simply no way the Titan would cost what it does if there were a half decent 8000 series. None, nada and zip. Either the Titan would cost less or nVidia wouldn't make it, it's that simple.

I am not blaming AMD for anything, I am merely pointing out the effect of competition.

Might as well blame it on 3DFX or Matrox or Kyro or BitBoys or S3, using that logic. Where the hell are their 3D cards to keep nVidia pricing in line.

Nothing simplistic about the notion at all. As I mentioned before, I was the recipient of a retroactive rebate from nVidia that was entirely due to competition from AMD. There's simply no way the Titan would cost what it does if there were a half decent 8000 series. None, nada and zip. Either the Titan would cost less or nVidia wouldn't make it, it's that simple.

I am not blaming AMD for anything, I am merely pointing out the effect of competition.

Competition is only one of many factors that might lower prices. Competition makes people less willing to pay a higher price, so a company lower prices accordingly.

Ultimately, prices are determined by how many who are willing to pay that price or if the price have a negative effect on other products.

Blaming the lack of competition is simplistic, when Nvidia prices the card according to what price is acceptable among the customers, regardless of competition. People are willing to pay and defend the price, why should Nvidia lower prices? :p

There are even people making threads explaining how cheap the Titan is and how great Nvidia is for charging $1000 for the Titan, they deserve a high price!

Blaming the lack of competition is simplistic, when Nvidia prices the card according to what price is acceptable among the customers, regardless of competition.

I believe the simplistic view is pricing regardless of competition. That makes little sense in a free market economy. Willingness to pay a price is directly based on what other similar products there are in the market and what those products cost.

This is not a blame game, it's simple economic principle that's been proven time and time again, competition Again, I'll never forget getting money back from nVidia AFTER I bought their products because AMD came in a week latter and totally undermined nVidia's pricing.

There is no competitive product to the Titan at this time. This and this alone give nVidia the freedom to price it as it wants to with much less pressure than if there were competition. And it's not like AMD wouldn't or couldn't do the same thing in a similar position. Or anyone else for that matter. Simple, but not simplistic economics.

I believe the simplistic view is pricing regardless of competition. That makes little sense in a free market economy. Willingness to pay a price is directly based on what other similar products there are in the market and what those products cost.

This is not a blame game, it's simple economic principle that's been proven time and time again, competition Again, I'll never forget getting money back from nVidia AFTER I bought their products because AMD came in a week latter and totally undermined nVidia's pricing.

There is no competitive product to the Titan at this time. This and this alone give nVidia the freedom to price it as it wants to with much less pressure than if there were competition. And it's not like AMD wouldn't or couldn't do the same thing in a similar position. Or anyone else for that matter. Simple, but not simplistic economics.

Willingness to buy a product depends on many things. Branding is one of the most common. Some charge even higher prices to appear more "exlusive", creating a nieche for their products. Competition might lower prices, but then again they might not. When the 5870 was released, Nvidia still charged a price premium for their GTX 280's, even though that card was outclassed in both performance and features. The 5870 didn't dent the price much on the GTX 280. The 4870 was more effective in that regard.

There are much more to pricing then competition. Sometimes competition doesn't do squat for pricing. If a company feels they can charge more, they often do. Sometimes they don't, because they want to increase markedshare or other things for future sales. It all comes down to the consumer in the end, either by long term or short term business strategy.

If everyone and their cats would have said Nvidia ripped people off with the Titan prices, it would probably have been lowered, regardless of competition. As long as consumers says $1000 is ok, thats what the card is "worth" in the marked.

Back