NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Video Card Review @ [H]

Opinions. How much faster will an over clocked Titan be vs a Lightning running at 1400mhz?

Zarathustra[H];1039639785 said:
In the hard news today, AMD announced they had been selected for PS4 APU.

This is both good and bad news. Good news, in that the architecture will be so much closer to PC, bad news in that it is only an APU, so graphics power will not be as big a jump in the next generation as we had hoped.

Kyle and team are also betting on that the next gen Xbox will also go AMD...

So does this mean we'll be able to eventually build our own PS4? ;)

It looks like the console is taking one step closer to becoming to a PC (PS4), or wait...Is it the PC that is slowly inching closer to being a console (Steam Box)?

At this rate, in a few years, the still-highly-debated 'consoles vs. PCs ' topic may all amount to a pile of nothing. I swear there's an allegory here that applies well to what's still happening over in Israel and Palestine. I...just..can't..put..my...finger...on....

Opinions. How much faster will an over clocked Titan be vs a Lightning running at 1400mhz?

That's a 680 Lightning, yes?

According to my rough estimations, a stock Titan at stock boost speeds will be 9.5% faster than a 680 lightning boosting at 1400mhz, as long as the GPU and not the ram is the limiting factor.

If the commercially available Titans are able to be overclocked as high as Guru3d was able to do on air with their review sample, then an overclocked Titan boosting at 1176 will be as much as 47% faster than a 680 lightening boosting at 1400mhz (again, provided RAM is not the limiting factor on either)

The thing we don't know yet is how well commercially available boards will overclock, compared to the presumably cherry picked review samples.

I am quite perplexed by the TITAN. Compared to a GE 7970 is a mild 30% increase or so apples to apples and while that is huge the price gap is even larger. Its more than twice as expensive as the mean price for the 7970. Now I have to decide whether not having to deal with SLI/XFire is worth the not insubstantial price increase hmm.

It's an epeen.

LOOK AT MY GPU DONG! LOOK AT IT!

I want to see this OC on water.
If it could reach 690 stock speeds, I'll be impressed then and save to buy one.

I want to see this OC on water.
If it could reach 690 stock speeds, I'll be impressed then and save to buy one.

Both Asus and EVGA are releasing factory overclocked versions of the Titan that are basically running at 690 levels. Further, even with a vanilla Titan I don't think it would be very hard to get it running at stock 680 speeds.

Since I game on a 30' (2560x1600) monitor, a Titan would benefit me in a few games over my existing 680GTX, but the current cost is ridiculous. If Nvidia keeps this kind of marketing up, I am going to go back to ATI when I go for my next upgrade. This pricing is not creating any good will for me towards Nvidia, and kinda pisses me off.

Man, I didn't realize how many people on this board Nvidia had a personal vendetta against, pricing this board just to piss them off. :rolleyes: Don't be mad at them for trying to make money; this wasn't meant to be a GPU for everyone. Now, if they didn't make any GPUs in your price range at all, that would maybe be an issue. But they do.

Both Asus and EVGA are releasing factory overclocked versions of the Titan that are basically running at 690 levels. Further, even with a vanilla Titan I don't think it would be very hard to get it running at stock 680 speeds.

D you think these will have two 8Pin PCI-E power connectors? The solder points are on the pcbs.

I have a HIS IceQ X2 Turbo 7950 that is no more than 1.5 months old, and last night I compulsively pre-ordered a Titan after spending the whole day reading about them.

Why? Cause I wanted the single fastest, and quietest GPU for a SFF system (Just waiting for the Ncase M1). Was I reluctant to buy it cause it's $1000? You bet! But I could afford it, and wanted it more it seems. I'll probably have buyers remorse, but oh well :p If AMD is going to wait a year to release new high end cards, then this price will probably stick for a while...

Consoles. Whether you like them or not, it can't be denied that they've put a severe drag on graphic advancement. When the larger market (unfortunately) has only 1/10th the processing power of a current gen PC, not as much work is going to go into taking advantage of said PC.

More than that, it's PCs. Most people don't have "enthusiast" level hardware, they have laptops and lowend desktops that they wont upgrade. The vast majority of pc hardware with glorius Intel HD graphics is below/equal to the level of current consoles. Even PC exclusive titles aren't pushing any envelopes.

One possible problem going forward is that "console" graphics are going to get a leap forward (PS4 etc.) but the vast majority of PC users are still going to be sitting there trying to play on integrated graphics/GTX 8800 that worked for WoW. Meaning the PC "gaming" pie will have shrunk dramatically and no sane company will port something for the 1-2%.

There's also the whole time/benefit equation.

I'm actually contemplating rotating out my DCII TOP 680 and hooking that into the wife's PC, and getting one of these for myself. I'm waiting until I do my processor upgrade to the FX-8350 before I buy this though, and I might start a savings fund to go towards the price. Oh yeah, I also need to pay for my DCII TOP before that.

Hardware great, price is shit. I wonder how much it will come down in price in the next 6+ months?

I hope they sell a lot of these tbh- Its not like we have bad options beyond this new card price-wise. Overall we want Nvidia (and Amd) to do well so they can keep cranking out their sweet video cards. If they go bye bye there goes the enthusiast with them.

Hardware great, price is shit. I wonder how much it will come down in price in the next 6+ months?

It probably won't because AMD isn't releasing desktop 8000 series GPUs until the end of year/next year. They said they're just working on drivers and OEM products (mobile GPUs, consoles ect). Nvidia has no reason to lower it without AMD pushing them. That's just how I see it... But who knows?

Definitely a sweet card and the price is high probably because AMD doesn't have anything new to compete with and won't some time. I am curious to about how the Titan will look compared to next-gen cards. Are we going to see more performance at the traditional ~$500 high-end or will we just see this level of performance for less money.

How much lower would the price be if it only had 3gb?

Its just that if you are not running 3+ monitors, 2-3gb seems to be the sweet spot.

How much lower would the price be if it only had 3gb?

Its just that if you are not running 3+ monitors, 2-3gb seems to be the sweet spot.

Actually memory chips don't cost that much. When there are different versions, 3GB model, 6GB model, ect, they mark up the cards considerably. Not any specific brand or device.. they all do it.

It probably won't because AMD isn't releasing desktop 8000 series GPUs until the end of year/next year. They said they're just working on drivers and OEM products (mobile GPUs, consoles ect). Nvidia has no reason to lower it without AMD pushing them. That's just how I see it... But who knows?

I think it will... There's not a whole lot of people willing to drop $1k on a GPU, if Nvidia wants to make money they'll lower the price to $700-800 in the next few months considering that could get them a lot more sales. Seems Titan isn't intended to be a 'limited' card like the Ares etc so the people buying it now are just getting hit by the early adopters tax.

Last edited:
I think it will... There's not a whole lot of people willing to drop $1k on a GPU, if Nvidia wants to make money they'll lower the price to $700-800 in the next few months considering that could get them a lot more sales.

Depends. I've not seen anything on the cost of this chip or the yields so this may just be a limited edition item. I'm pretty sure at this price nVidia isn't too worried about sales as there won't be that many but probably more than people who think that it's too expensive might think. This is unequivocally the best single card with no competition in around 4 years. That's special and people pay for that. I really have better things to do than to drop 5k to 6k on a new rig right now but damn it's tempting to put 3 of these in a i7-3970X rig.

Well gotta say Im totally disappointed in this launch. Was thinking about going Nvidia this round after AMD decided to wait another year for their next flagship but 1000$ is totally off the charts for a single gpu. No way I can justify spending that kind of cash on a single GPU for just 10 to 15 more FPS. :-(

Looks like I will be going CFX instead till 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Results

1 TITAN Card = 6.25 Ms/sec in 1:37
2 TITAN Cards = 12.50 Ms/sec in 50 seconds
3 TITAN Cards = 18.86 Ms/sec in 31 seconds

Hi Brent, is this with the CUDA Double Precision enabled in the Nv control panel?

Ah cool, do you still have the cards and would it be a massive pain to run with the DP enabled?

Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings box you will find an option titled CUDA – Double Precision

Appreciated if you can, no worries at all if you can't (I have one on the way next week just wanted to get some early ideas) :)

I hope they sell a lot of these tbh- Its not like we have bad options beyond this new card price-wise. Overall we want Nvidia (and Amd) to do well so they can keep cranking out their sweet video cards. If they go bye bye there goes the enthusiast with them.
the gtx690 came out 9 months ago and it has not come down in price.

i wonder if games on nvidia cards will run faster than amd cards when ps4 and x720 come out because both of the new consoles will be using amd tech.

i wonder if games on nvidia cards will run faster than amd cards when ps4 and x720 come out because both of the new consoles will be using amd tech.

I think they would run faster on the AMD hardware. Just because 99.9% of games are console ports lol.

of course who the fuck knows.

I feel like the crackhead from Dave Chappelle Show due the amount of upgrade itch Titan is giving me.

I do feel the price for entry is bit high, but if you put Nvidia's previous flagships into perspective and consider how much those things cost back then (GTS 8800 Ultra was $800+ 6 years ago), the price of the Titans don't seem farfetched at all, especially with no competition from AMD. This is bleeding edge tech not aimed for those that can't afford it (obviously).

For those that are complaining about how much these things cost, blame AMD. Competition is what drives prices down. This is capitalism 101. What Nvidia is doing is no different than what most, if not all, companies do in our capitalistic society. AMD needs to up their game and put out something relevant if you want to see Titan prices fall.

Anyway, I'm definitely considering getting couple of these with my tax returns. I also need to stop scratching my self... damn itch.

Meh.. I'm still happy with my SLId GTX260s. I can't imagine a situation where I would ever spend that much money on a card. Maybe if I won the lotto, but then I would probably be to busy laying on a beach in Hawaii to worry about video games.

I do feel the price for entry is bit high, but if you put Nvidia's previous flagships into perspective and consider how much those things cost back then (GTS 8800 Ultra was $800+ 6 years ago), the price of the Titans don't seem farfetched at all...

6 years ago I don't think the global economy was as bad.

For $1000 this card is a well marketed card that I'm sure some people will be able to afford or that some people will sacrifice budget to get. I expect it to sell out fast at release.

With the advancements in technology this card shouldn't cost $1000. The high price is probably just out of necessity so that NVIDIA can turn a profit.

I think once production costs get under control this type of technology will be more affordable. Something to look forward to.

Yep. Although the Titan provides impressive performance, it is probably the most overpriced reference video card ever. While this a low volume product, the profit margin must be insane.

In my view, $750 would be a much more reasonable price point given current offerings.
Well it seems that I will keep my GTX 680 SLI setup a little while longer...

Please stop comparing the Titan with video card launched 5 years ago.
Different time, different market.

Usually I am not one to complain about pricing, but come on. I paid the same amount 13 months ago for more performance. And I thought I was crazy for dropping a grand on two 7970's. Now it looks like I got a smokin' deal!

Default driver settings, I did not change any double precision options.

I know this is a gaming site, but I really love to see more side/unofficial render benchmarks. Since GK110 was compute first, I think that alone is worth an extra $200-300 towards the premium for this card.
Going to take some animation classes this summer. If I can combine gaming and Telsa into one solution, $1-2K will be easier to pay.

Last edited:
While I did see that the reviewers addressed the high price in the review, slapping a "gold" award or "editors choice" on a review negates any criticism. Now the awards will be plastered across every resellers front page helping to push an overpriced card. I would be happy to pay 7-800 dollars for what this card delivers, but 1000 is on the verge of slimy.

Jeebus folks, many of you just don't get it: most here aren't a target market. Targets markets include:

1. Those with deep wallets.
2. Those forced to restrict themselves to a single GPU.
3. CUDA users.

I'll give the example of the Shuttle boxes for (2) above. Theoretically they can support a 690, but you're very close to the limit of the PSU and cooling becomes interesting. Or you can have a Titan and be well within the power limit and because it has a blower fan, cooling isn't an issue.

Indeed, Shuttle ought to look into a combo deal: 4K display, Z77 Shuttle, Geforce Titan. :)

If SLIing your current setup makes more sense to you, Nvidia will gladly take your money.

So nearly 12 months on from the 680 we have a card which is approx 30% faster and cost twice as much. Oh but that's ok because it has a fancy name and a load of VRAM.

Back