NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Video Card Review @ [H]

I haven't tweaked them out yet. There's a 40mhz difference between models and I am using the sync option right now for settings. When I get home this evening I'm going to start pushing them seperately to see if I can get things evened out.

Hmm I might try to overclock the cards separately while in SLI. OC the slower card a little more to make up for he difference.

I wasn't able to run +115 on the core with stock memory without it crashing. That's like 1137MHz. Think it's linked to fan speed though. Lower fan speed = less power which means more power for the GPU.

I haven't tweaked them out yet. There's a 40mhz difference between models and I am using the sync option right now for settings. When I get home this evening I'm going to start pushing them seperately to see if I can get things evened out.

Just curious, what are your clock speeds when your temps are around 75-80c?

Does it downclock itself when this happens? Just curious if its a driver bug, or built into the firmware from Nvidia.

Just curious, what are your clock speeds when your temps are around 75-80c?

Does it downclock itself when this happens? Just curious if its a driver bug, or built into the firmware from Nvidia.

My cards aren't hitting 80c. Down clocking is only happening on one card and it happens a random times so I suspect it's hitting the 265w barrier.

Before I made a custom fan profile my cards would most definitely down clock at 80c.

My cards aren't hitting 80c. Down clocking is only happening on one card and it happens a random times so I suspect it's hitting the 265w barrier.

Before I made a custom fan profile my cards would most definitely down clock at 80c.

I'm not done OC:ing yet, so I may just have to play with settings, but mine seems to be running MUCH cooler than the review samples. Might be because I picked up the "EVGA Signature Edition", which was probably sorted at EVGA to be a better performing model.

At full load in multiple titles with power at 106%, temp at 94C (it seems to adjust down, even though the slider goes to 95), clock at +120mhz and RAM at +120mhz I am seeing the card hover between 1130Mhz and 1167mhz. This is with "overvolting" mode turned on.

Looks like there should be plenty more room to go, as actual temps are in the 60C to 70C range, and actual power is only in the ~80% range. I'll need to keep tweaking.

Took me for bloody ever to get the card installed and working though.

I had never dealt with the non Unified driver problem before.

I have an old 768MB GTX460 I use for dedicated physx (way overkill), and the Titan drivers did not like that at all. It would only detect the Titan as a basic VGA card, unless I physically pulled the GTX460 out of the system.

Hopefully Unified drivers will be coming soon!

I just read the Titan review. This card confirms two things. First, nVidia has Kepler production humming along now. Second, this growing Kepler supply is obviously outpacing demand for the uber-expensive Quadro/Tesla hardware in the professional marketplace. What is a company to do with all those Kepler chips piling up? Yes, that's right, rebrand the production line "Titan" and keep the price jacked as high as possible while targeting the (larger) gaming market-- BRILLIANT!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how many monitors Titan can run at once?

I have a 4 monitor setup. I see Titan has 4 connectors. But I wasn't sure if they'd all work if I connected a monitor to each, or if some of the connectors were a shared connection.

Can anyone comment as to whether or not Titan can support 4 monitors?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how many monitors Titan can run at once?

I have a 4 monitor setup. I see Titan has 4 connectors. But I wasn't sure if they'd all work if I connected a monitor to each, or if some of the connectors were a shared connection.

Can anyone comment as to whether or not Titan can support 4 monitors?

I would guess it's 3, but I don't know for sure. I only have three compatible monitors to test it with.

Awesome tech! The people who can afford it couldn't care less about a few hundred bucks more. In frame latency it smokes the competition, super performance, and runs quietly with almost the same power as a 680. All the sniveling about price is pathetic.Can't afford a Mercedes? Fine, get a Honda. Its a much better value than Intel's $1000 Extreme CPU.

Has anyone heard anything about when we might get unified drivers for the Titan?

I have had to pull my GTX460 out, as it did not play nice AT ALL with the Titan drivers.

Kyle.

Big question.

I'm just curious. Why didn't a single reviewer out there got any throttling problems with their Titan sample while the throttling problem is now pretty widespread for almost every Titan owners out there?

You should really reconsider testing a ''regular'' Titan instead of a sample. There is over 200 pages on OCN of people with throttling problems... My 2 Titans are throttling badly, my 3rd one is on the way... :(

Something is fishy here, and HardOCP are usually ahead of everyone else to detect those shady situations ...

Boost 2.0 is not working like advertized at all. Some Titans are even throttling at 60 Celsius! it's not funny...

HardOCP should really investigate all that...

Thank you.

Zarathustra[H];1039687945 said:
Has anyone heard anything about when we might get unified drivers for the Titan?

Doesn't 314.14 support both?

LOL! I thought this was a dual gpu card, I was under the assumption the price/performance ratio was reasonable given the card but I'm not sure if I should be impressed with the performance or shocked at the exorbitant price.

Guess I'll hold onto the gtx 590 a bit longer.

For what its worth, dual gpu exhausting into the case hasn't been a problem for me.

Doesn't 314.14 support both?

The latest drivers that support the Titan are 314.09. These don't seem to support my GTX460.

That being said, the latest drivers for the GTX460 seem to be 314.07...

This is from when searching by GPU...

Are the 314.14 beta drivers?

Zarathustra[H];1039691744 said:
The latest drivers that support the Titan are 314.09. These don't seem to support my GTX460.

That being said, the latest drivers for the GTX460 seem to be 314.07...

This is from when searching by GPU...

Are the 314.14 beta drivers?

314.14 work with all cards.

Zarathustra[H];1039692373 said:
Where do you get them? Cause if I go to the website and select either Titan or GTX460 I wind up with the 314.09 and 314.07 drivers respectively...

Never mind, it's right on th efront page, and it is a beta driver :) I'll have to test it out when I get home.

314.14 works beautifully with the Titans. It is the only one I have used (just installed them last week).

314.14 works beautifully with the Titans. It is the only one I have used (just installed them last week).

Interesting. The Titan release driver I have been using (314.09) has very limited details in the release notes.

I wonder what kind of differences I might see going to 314.14. The release notes for 314.14 only compare to 314.07.

Now that we have a modded "naennon" Bios for Titans and people are getting 1200 stable clocks with no downclocking, I guess I'll go ahead and purchase. I wanted something shiny to look forward to. As for the drivers I hope 314.14 just does the trick.

What's the performance difference look like between Titan and the 4GB 680? Just curious since I have one 4GB and would like to add one more for SLI, but would like to compare SLI 4GB 680 with SLI Titan to see if I should stick with the SLI 680 plan or switch to SLI Titans.

Already read that. They didn't make it clear, but I gathered they used the 2GB 680s (unless I really missed something saying they were the 4GB).

You'll have similar results, for the most part. It's not like that 2GB of extra framebuffer instantly makes your card faster. It's just going to help you at higher resolutions...that's all.

You'll have similar results, for the most part. It's not like that 2GB of extra framebuffer instantly makes your card faster. It's just going to help you at higher resolutions...that's all.

Right now, I'm just using a 1080p TV (with 3D option) and I'm kind considering 3x 2560x1600 setup. I'm just wondering if the Titan in 2-card SLI is a dealmaker for that or if I should just go 3x 1900x1200 (in which case I'll just stick with going 2-card SLI using a second 4GB 680).

I am totally floored with my 2x GTX Titans right now. Replaced my 680s with them and still blown away by how smooth, cool, and quiet they are. The performance is just staggering.

And that argument is old already...
thats why I said it...

its still sad that so many of you will willingly bend over. the 690 and Titan will now set a precedent for more ridiculous pricing. this whole gen has been a joke for those wanting a nice increase over previous gen without paying out the ass. on top of that most of the Nvidia cards are being built as cheap as possible and even the Titan skimped in some regards.

Last edited:
So much hate here lol!

The only people that hate GTX Titans are those that can't afford them.

So much hate here lol!

The only people that hate GTX Titans are those that can't afford them.

That sounds condescending and stupid.

I'd say that people who HATE any piece of computer hardware, just need to figure out their priorities in life. It's a thing. Direct your energy in a better direction.

thats why I said it...

its still sad that so many of you will willingly bend over. the 690 and Titan will now set a precedent for more ridiculous pricing. this whole gen has been a joke for those wanting a nice increase over previous gen without paying out the ass. on top of that most of the Nvidia cards are being built as cheap as possible and even the Titan skimped in some regards.

I think you're letting AMD off a bit too easy. They've been complacent (focusing on consoles and what have you)...so who can blame NVIDIA for taking the top-end reigns and pricing accordingly.

I think you're letting AMD off a bit too easy. They've been complacent (focusing on consoles and what have you)...so who can blame NVIDIA for taking the top-end reigns and pricing accordingly.
no I bitched like crazy at the prices that AMD released the 7 series at. at this point though Nvidia should be giving us something better for their current prices.

Zarathustra[H];1039715923 said:
That sounds condescending and stupid.

I'd say that people who HATE any piece of computer hardware, just need to figure out their priorities in life. It's a thing. Direct your energy in a better direction.
Yeah, but for some people it's accurate. "I can't afford this, so it sucks".

There isn't a single GPU solution that competes with the Titan, so they can price it however they want. The price alone doesn't make it suck, it just gives it a worse price to performance ratio. But when have the top end Halo products ever been affordable or priced competitively?

Back