NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 3-Way SLI Review @ [H]

There's a reason this won the gold award.... because it would take a lot of gold to buy these :)

I never had 4 Titan's, and now I don't even have 3 anymore. I think temperature would really start to be a problem with that many, that many cards sandwiched together means tight quarters, less cooling, and as we all know on TITAN cooling is everything, this could impede their clock speeds, GPU Boost will clock down, unless you can introduce some extreme cooling.

Hey Brent. Something like this?

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/1650/pict0011zz.jpg

Vega's 4-way Titan sli of course.

Just think. In not many years that performance will be had for a few hundred dollars.

Well done [H].

The size of the dsiplay makes no difference. It is the resolution.

An 80" 1080p screen is going to take the same amount of GPU power as a 23" 1080p screen, provided they both either run at the same refresh or have v-sync disabled, or have triple buffering enabled.

I know that, which is why I care about 30" that push higher resolutions, not 1080p. I thought when I said it, I didn't think I had to define the resolution.

I'm running triple titans on my triple 30's in portrait at 3600x1920. It's the same pixel count as 5760x1200 and I was just playing Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider on it at just about maxed out settings. The game runs nice and smooth. I had tress on, even though I have a weird blur effect caused by post processing. The overall game experience was nice. Upgrading from my triple 580's to triple Titans, didn't blow me away like going from my old 8800's to 580's.

Damn Google. I was searching for the InVideo exclusive Tennessee Titan cheerleader 3-way, and instead I find this equally [H]ard-on inducing review. I think I just realized I am a technosexual.

I'm running triple titans on my triple 30's in portrait at 3600x1920. It's the same pixel count as 5760x1200 and I was just playing Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider on it at just about maxed out settings. The game runs nice and smooth. I had tress on, even though I have a weird blur effect caused by post processing. The overall game experience was nice. Upgrading from my triple 580's to triple Titans, didn't blow me away like going from my old 8800's to 580's.
In fairness, going from 8800 (2006 era graphics card) to 580s (late 2011 era graphics card) is going to be a much bigger jump than from 2011-era tech to 2013.

Speaking of 8800s, this article had me thinking about how long it will take for Titan class performance to hit the $150 range, and what graphics will be "normal" at that point, and what will be "high end."
Great article anyway. They make a dreamer dream about nice things :p

You are not alone. I started thinking about which body part I could sell off to get a couple of them.

"Nope. Gotta have that one. Yep, that one is critical, too. Fingers don't bring in much these days. Damn, I guess I'll have to wait. :( " :p

I just calculated how many months I would have to live off of biscuits and water just to be able to afford this setup with my current wage.

... I should not have done that.

Maybe post some screenshots of the screens in action, I sure wouldn't mind seeing that. ;)

Great review [H]. Titan's are a hard act to beat if price isn't considered.

GOOD GOD MAN.

If I had 10 million in the bank I would not build this......

I mean seriously people?????

Wow, if only I could get two, I think I would be really happy.

I think just 1 is good, 2 is kinda inefficient for the amount of power it draws:

20766_bf3.png

Speaking of 8800s, this article had me thinking about how long it will take for Titan class performance to hit the $150 range, and what graphics will be "normal" at that point, and what will be "high end."
Great article anyway. They make a dreamer dream about nice things :p

Each full generation of cards is generally about 40-60% more performance (see 285 -> 5870, 6970 -> 7970), and that's about a 2 year period. So in 2 years there should be a $399 card that can either match or beat the Titan by 0-20%, maybe a Radeon 9970.

A flagship from 2 generations ago like the 5870 is about as fast as the 7850 today, which you can find for about $160ish, so it would be pretty reasonable to say in 2017, a GTX Titan would be a $150 card. Of course by 2017, the Titan would be obsolete in features compared to a $150 card (DX11.2, etc), and use up 2 or 3 times more power and generate a lot more noise and heat.

GOOD GOD MAN.

If I had 10 million in the bank I would not build this......

I mean seriously people?????
If I had $10 million in the bank I would. What else are you going to spend your money on exactly? That's plenty to buy an amazing house in cash, which is pretty much everyone's biggest expense in life.

Value is relative. $3000 isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things depending on your income.

Just wondering, how hot are top 2 cards. Probably cooking at nasty 100C. We definitively need more cases with 15-16 PCI slots (well one would be a good start! C'mon Silverstone where is that TJ-12 monster?) to put some air between GPUs. Raisers/extenders cost peanuts, why no manufacturer see a potential for more PCI slots than 11.

Sometimes DIY is boring. Not every case can be extended, and building new case every time is... well time consuming to say the least.

I think just 1 is good, 2 is kinda inefficient for the amount of power it draws:

*snip shit graph out*

This has got to be one of the weirdest review graphs I've ever seen, but you obviously missed the part of it where the SLI Titans, while having more variation in frame times are actually lower than the single card. Actually, the lowest frame times on the whole graph which means the frame rate was retardedly high for what appears to be a 9ms average. ~16ms is 60fps. Not exactly the best graph to illustrate your point.

Wish they would have thrown in 2-way to compare scaling. Most other (initial) reviews of 3-way show its not worth it in 1080/1200 Surround. Ill stick to 2-way for now :)

I just re-read this as I had a huge win at the races on Saturday and my wife convinced me it was ok to buy a Titan, so I did..and what a card!!! cya 690..

Anyone have tri sli titans running 1440p or 1600p? How do they scale in comparison to sli titans??

This review convinced me to go with 3 Titans for 7860x1600. Yeah they're double the cost of the 680s/7970s but they also look to be giving double the frames in a 3 monitor/3 card situation. And that was with smaller monitors...I'd expect the Titans to increase their lead even more at my resolution. Obviously Titans aren't nearly as good of a value outside of the 3 card/3 monitor situation though.

Ended up paying $2600 total. In two years they'll probably be worth $350-$500 each. Paying around $500-$650 depreciation a year to ball out like a complete gangster isn't that bad.

This review convinced me to go with 3 Titans for 7860x1600. Yeah they're double the cost of the 680s/7970s but they also look to be giving double the frames in a 3 monitor/3 card situation. And that was with smaller monitors...I'd expect the Titans to increase their lead even more at my resolution. Obviously Titans aren't nearly as good of a value outside of the 3 card/3 monitor situation though.

Ended up paying $2600 total. In two years they'll probably be worth $350-$500 each. Paying around $500-$650 depreciation a year to ball out like a complete gangster isn't that bad.

In the same boat, what games are you playing?

Back