NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SLI 4K Video Card Review @ [H]

I'm fairly certain that AMD 290/290X cards can be overclocked as well. ;)

In crossfire, on air by how much? I doubt that people average 1100mhz.

Then again just stopping the card from throttling with a fan profile will give you a nice boost.

lol it's funny how people fixate on power/wattage yet will spend many hundreds more for a similar experience for Nvidia. I'll buy whatever works. I have both brands. But, to dismiss AMD/ATI simply for power demands is ludicrous. Certainly, it's a factor in decision making processes, but probably for most people not the only factor. For the amount of gaming most people do, the "cost" of power difference will be dollar(s) or less a month. Over the life of the card, maybe $10-20 if that. The heat aspect I can see to a point, but who runs crappy Dell cases w/out good venting? Seriously folks, I know it's fun to bash AMD, but if they have a compelling solution; moreso after the price drops

lol it's funny how people fixate on power/wattage yet will spend many hundreds more for a similar experience for Nvidia. I'll buy whatever works. I have both brands. But, to dismiss AMD/ATI simply for power demands is ludicrous. Certainly, it's a factor in decision making processes, but probably for most people not the only factor. For the amount of gaming most people do, the "cost" of power difference will be dollar(s) or less a month. Over the life of the card, maybe $10-20 if that. The heat aspect I can see to a point, but who runs crappy Dell cases w/out good venting? Seriously folks, I know it's fun to bash AMD, but if they have a compelling solution; moreso after the price drops
As a 290X CF owner I'll say one thing... Don't discount the heat. Upgrading from 7970 CF to 290X CF I was shocked by how much worse it was in that regard. I mean, I'm not going to spend hundreds more for a lower power card just because it'll cost me less on my power bill. That just doesn't make any sense financially. I might consider paying extra for a lower power card just because the extra heat getting pumped into my room is a real issue. Its not about running crappy cases without venting, I have a custom WC loop with full cover cards so they're not hot at all, its the fact that 300W of extra heat is being dumped into my room. Ambient temps can get uncomfortable real fast if I'm gaming with my door closed (necessary to prevent disturbing the other residents with my teamspeak chatter). Is it worth hundreds of dollars? Personally the answer is still no, but the impact is real and shouldn't be ignored.

As a 290X CF owner I'll say one thing... Don't discount the heat. Upgrading from 7970 CF to 290X CF I was shocked by how much worse it was in that regard. I mean, I'm not going to spend hundreds more for a lower power card just because it'll cost me less on my power bill. That just doesn't make any sense financially. I might consider paying extra for a lower power card just because the extra heat getting pumped into my room is a real issue. Its not about running crappy cases without venting, I have a custom WC loop with full cover cards so they're not hot at all, its the fact that 300W of extra heat is being dumped into my room. Ambient temps can get uncomfortable real fast if I'm gaming with my door closed (necessary to prevent disturbing the other residents with my teamspeak chatter). Is it worth hundreds of dollars? Personally the answer is still no, but the impact is real and shouldn't be ignored.
agreed re: the heat etc.. Been there and done that.

But the argument many make about efficiency and wattage starts to lose it's bite when those same people then oc the bejesus out of their Maxwell cards thereby decreasing the wattage delta between the two. Or OC the crap out of their cpus b/c they can, but 90+% of the time don't need that OC for any perceivable performance gain; at least as it applies to gaming; thereby adding more heat/cost to the equation than otherwise necessary. The nature of OC'ing is by nature somewhat "inefficient" to a degree. We want "free" performance, but nothing is truly free, there are trade offs at certain points. Cost, heat, wattage etc....

I'd like to revisit this idea about 6-12 months from now. Assuming(big if lol) that AMD could produce a more efficient design with the 390x, for the sake of argument say that AMD was 10% lower wattage vs Nvidia(doubt it will happen but just saying) most of these fools crying about power would find something else to defend Nvidia with; like well it still has PhysX etc... People just love to hate on AMD/ATI. Even before AMD bought ATI there was that same bunker mentality of hate on them.

I'm drawing from experience here when AMD trumped Intel in power efficiency as well as IPC, but many still defended Intel. Nvidia has at times had the power hogs and people still defended them. Sure there are AMD/ATI fan boys just as deluded, but for whatever reason they don't annoy me as much; probably b/c I do have a soft spot for the underdog lol.

Just to clarify as well. I don't hate on Intel or Nvidia; good products both. Shady practices sometimes, but that's a different story. What gets me riled though, and this cuts across any hobby for that matter; are the tools who get a "little" education and become almost "evangelical" in their quest to convert anyone over to their line of thought. Good for you that you like your toys. I can like mine, and you know we could both be happy and right in our own way.

Last edited:
As a 290X CF owner I'll say one thing... Don't discount the heat.
True, owning a beast that can spit out during load between 1000W and 1300W, he can heat up a room real vast.

Still for me its not a real problem if you live more north, but can be a real problem if you live in a warm climate, then it can really be a problem, or cost extra money to keep the AC running at full speed.

I'm one who couldn't care less about total power draw of my PC either. I am bothered by the amount of heat high power draw outputs, though. I live in south Florida and it already takes enough energy to keep my place cool without all the electronics spitting out heat. And believe me that central A/C costs a lot more money than a PC ever will (power bill is a third of what it costs during the winter compared to summer...). I can say that I am very happy about how little my room gets hot now with my 970s compared to my 780s. I'm barely getting hot enough to sweat now while sitting next to the PC after hour+ long sessions of constant gaming, while the 780s would have me dripping sweat in short order. Keep in mind that it is still getting nearly as hot as the summer right now in my area (low-to-mid 90s in the afternoon).

Just keeping it real uninformed ;)

Fixed that for ya ^^ That is because of the implications you made by your comments before basically insinuating that a R290x can be overclocked on Air vs a 980 on air to match a GTX 980 Overclocked. ;)

In crossfire, on air by how much? I doubt that people average 1100mhz.

Then again just stopping the card from throttling with a fan profile will give you a nice boost.

Feel free to speculate but you don't have a big data source to back that up.

AMD
R9 290 2,800 overclocks beg to differ.
1118/1595MHz
Default clock: 947/1250MHz.
18% oc on average

R9 290x Average oc (4800 submissions)

1143/1584MHz
Default clock: 1000/1250MHz.
14.3% average oc.

NVIDIA
GTX 980 average oc
1444/1998MHz
Default clock: 1216/1759MHz.
18.75% average oc (1000 submissions)

GTX 970
1474/2483MHz
Default clock: 1178/1752MHz
25% average oc (~1000 submissions)

True, owning a beast that can spit out during load between 1000W and 1300W, he can heat up a room real vast.

Still for me its not a real problem if you live more north, but can be a real problem if you live in a warm climate, then it can really be a problem, or cost extra money to keep the AC running at full speed.

Yup, I couldn't OC my 290s in CF at all due to thermal reasons, live in Arizona so it's quite warm here even now. The 980s in SLI don't get anywhere near as hot at max OC, had mine clocked to 1500 MHz with no throttling.

Because of this, the net performance gain was somewhere around 30-35% for me. I ended up selling the second 980 though as my plans for 4K gaming went bust.. the 55" Samsung set I bought a few months ago won't do 4:4:4 at 4K/60 Hz, only reduced chroma (4:2:0). Luckily Amazon offered to refund me so I am waiting for next year to go 4K.

Fixed that for ya ^^ That is because of the implications you made by your comments before basically insinuating that a R290x can be overclocked on Air vs a 980 on air to match a GTX 980 Overclocked. ;)
I never made any such implications. I was only stating that if you're going to overclock the 980s, an apples-to-apples comparison would be against overclocked 290X's. That only fair, don't ya think? ;)

I never made any such implications. I was only stating that if you're going to overclock the 980s, an apples-to-apples comparison would be against overclocked 290X's. That only fair, don't ya think? ;)

Oh yeah, absolutely. That is the way It's being planned if I'm not mistaken. Overclocked vs overclocked. I've seen similar reviews so far and the GTX 980 Overclocked is Supernatural. At 1500+ Mhz they are gaming monsters. R9 290X cards overclock but they don't net nearly as much as GTX 970/980s.

At the end of the day Nvidia needs to give these cards better drivers. I have a feeling that in this next review coming It may be a different outcome especially since Watchdogs will likely turn around in Nvidia's favor due to the patch. We're probably only looking like we'll see bad SLi performance in Alien Isolation out of the games run this time around. Unless a patch or driver fix comes in the interim

Actually a 290X with a good aftermarket cooler is a real decent overclocker, and a good one on water, whit out throttling, and the GTX 980 is fairly limited in its OC by the limited over voltage nVidia allows.

Your remark is properly also the reason why AMD is properly going whit a Astek watercooling, as the throttling impression / name it got really hurt the 290X sales.

Now if they go whit H2O reference card, they get four tings going for them during lounge, better clock speeds, no throttling, a silent card and above all a simple reference solution.

And a good first impression can never hurt!

Because of this, the net performance gain was somewhere around 30-35% for me. I ended up selling the second 980 though as my plans for 4K gaming went bust.. the 55" Samsung set I bought a few months ago won't do 4:4:4 at 4K/60 Hz, only reduced chroma (4:2:0). Luckily Amazon offered to refund me so I am waiting for next year to go 4K.
3 months ago i got my self also a 4K TV but i got my self a Panasonic with a DisplayPort input, so i would not hhave any problems with my HTPC.

And i am getting my self pair of 970s to replace my aging 280X CF set, real soon, as i am just looking around what cooler to use, because i look for a silent card that dumps heat out of the case, or i go over to watercooling whit the radiator outside of the case.

I had two water cooled 290x. Without significant bumps in voltage that I wouldn't run 24/7 they really didn't clock that well. I wouldn't even expect 1150mhz on water without obscene voltage.

They definitely don't have the sort of headroom that 7970 or GTX780 did.

Nvidia stopped using their larger parts consistently when their smaller parts were able to compete with AMD's larger parts; and generally speaking, the GTX980 would be faster all-around with proper optimizations. It's pretty clear that when the Nvidia setup is behind, it's REALLY behind and not in situations that make sense. Performance drops to single-card levels when staring at a static computer display in-game? That's likely just poor coding on the developer's part, and is something that may be fixed any number of ways by the developer or by Nvidia.

Not really, the GTX 980 weights at 402mm2 which is no small chip by any means, plus the 290X with its 424mm2 successfully competed well with the much bigger GTX 780 Ti which had 551mm2. AMD has no response yet for the GTX 980, but the 290X is doing a great job on demanding settings.

Would like to see a Tri gpu setup tested as well stock and OC. If you are going to game 4K then that configuration makes more sense than 2 cards. Besides you can buy 3 290x for about the same price as 2 980x (seen deals that would make the 3 290x cheaper :eek).

I think the next thread down is 290X vs 980 both OC'd by Brent and the 980 was 16-28 percent ish (going off memory) faster depending on the game.

Edit: actually I already posted on page 8 of this thread :). But there's the apples to apples courtesy of Brent Justice! What's the 290x, $399? That's probably priced about right. I'd probably still go 970 over a 290x though.

"29% more performance than a 290X in BF4, 26% in FC3, 18% in Tomb Raider.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/...5#.VFEoX_nF98E "

Last edited:
Hello. First time posting here for me. This was a good review but there is something I'd like to bring up here. This review, along with many others that show the 980 beating the 780 ti are all done with the stock clocks. I have read multiple accounts of how people have compared the two with the 780 ti clocks raised to that of the 980s and the FPS difference is marginal, within 1-2 FPS.

There are also these benchmarks from techpowerup.com...
These are two of the best factory overclocked 980 cards from Asus and MSI.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Gaming/6.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_STRIX_OC/6.html

These are of two factory overclocked 780 ti cards. One is the EVGA Classy and the other is the MSI 780 ti Gaming and I own two of the latter.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_Ti_Classified/6.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_780_Ti_Gaming/6.html

If you compare the benchmarks between these four cards you will see that the 780 ti are very close or equal to the 980s in many games and even beating them in a few.

I'm not trying to knock this review but is there something I'm missing here?

Hello. First time posting here for me. This was a good review but there is something I'd like to bring up here. This review, along with many others that show the 980 beating the 780 ti are all done with the stock clocks. I have read multiple accounts of how people have compared the two with the 780 ti clocks raised to that of the 980s and the FPS difference is marginal, within 1-2 FPS.

These are of two factory overclocked 780 ti cards. One is the EVGA Classy and the other is the MSI 780 ti Gaming and I own two of the latter.

If you compare the benchmarks between these four cards you will see that the 780 ti are very close or equal to the 980s in many games and even beating them in a few.

I think getting a 780ti to match clocks with a 980 is unusual but I am too lazy to back that up with data.

nVidia themselves said the 980 is not targeted at 780ti users, so what you are saying is accurate if you can achieve it. I think what surprised most people was the lower power consumption (better for SLI, noise levels, OCing, ect.), the consistency of the high OCs, and also the much lower MSRP (especially on the 970, AMD and nVidia had massive repricing). A few months ago the 780ti was selling for around $7XX for a reference model. The 980 with 1 GB more ram and generally better performance started at $550 and the 970 (on the heels of the 780ti) at $330.

Go two or three posts up on this thread I have a link to a 980/780ti/290X OC comparison from [H]. I think the 980 did a few percentage points higher than the 780ti

the 980 is not a replacement for the 780 Ti, and an overclocked 980 is faster than an overclocked 780 Ti.

furthermore, comparing two cards clock for clock is about the dumbest thing you can do.

i'd like to see a 780 Ti running at 1300 MHz boost, let alone the 1500-1600 most are capable of.

Last edited:
Yea I bought my first 780 ti for $715 some months back so I was pretty tight about the 900 series being released at a low price, namely the 970. I recently ordered the second 780 ti and paid $400 for it.

What I said about matching the clock of the 780 ti to that of the 980 I meant that I've read of people doing it and telling about the results they got with that were very different than what they got when they compared the two at stock. The thing is though, if you look at the MSI 980 card you will see it reaches over 1300 boost clock, compare that to the MSI 780 ti which reaches a little over 1100 and yet the fps difference is 1-2 give or take.

Benchmarks of the Strix 970 http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/6.html
I could have gotten two of these for the price I paid for the one 780 ti but atleast the 780 ti pulls ahead by quite a bit in some of the benchmarks heh.

the 980 is not a replacement for the 780 Ti, and an overclocked 980 is faster than an overclocked 780 Ti.

furthermore, comparing two cards clock for clock is about the dumbest thing you can do.

Maybe it is dumb but that is what they did and those were the results they came up with.
I'm not really stressing that though, I'm more interested in the results of the factory overclocked cards.

I know the 980 is not meant to replace the 780 ti but this review does make it seem that way.
The benchmarks also put the 980 way ahead of the 780 ti and this is the first time I've seen that. Also, I've not seen the 290X beat the 780 ti in this manner either.

I think the next thread down is 290X vs 980 both OC'd by Brent and the 980 was 16-28 percent ish (going off memory) faster depending on the game.

Edit: actually I already posted on page 8 of this thread :). But there's the apples to apples courtesy of Brent Justice! What's the 290x, $399? That's probably priced about right. I'd probably still go 970 over a 290x though.
Actually, you can pick up an XFX DD 290X right now for $299 AR on Newegg with the three free games from their Never Settle bundle.

Actually, you can pick up an XFX DD 290X right now for $299 AR on Newegg with the three free games from their Never Settle bundle.

it's 320 after rebate, not 300. i don't know why people factor in rebates anyway, but whatever.

I am bit disappointed by the performance of SLI. Any indication that upcoming drivers will significantly improve the situation?

agreed re: the heat etc.. Been there and done that.

But the argument many make about efficiency and wattage starts to lose it's bite when those same people then oc the bejesus out of their Maxwell cards thereby decreasing the wattage delta between the two. Or OC the crap out of their cpus b/c they can, but 90+% of the time don't need that OC for any perceivable performance gain; at least as it applies to gaming; thereby adding more heat/cost to the equation than otherwise necessary. The nature of OC'ing is by nature somewhat "inefficient" to a degree. We want "free" performance, but nothing is truly free, there are trade offs at certain points. Cost, heat, wattage etc...

You are right that the majority of [H] users, heat and power consumption are not primary concerns.

But it is a concern when it affects overclockability.

I believe this is where the nvidia gpus of the last several generations have really shined. They even self-oc to some extent.

A lower power, lower temp card will have more overclocking headroom.

So, for all the really hardcore [H] who will try to overclock their cards, the nvidia gpu has much more potential. At least it does for someone overclocking it on air. The stock heatsink/fan is great. Overclock comparisons for single card and sli, I think the performance graphs will look different.

Why did nvidia make it so the 980 runs cooler/lower clock speed than the silicons' potential? Likely because the large majority of users will be just fine at the delivered performance. Most will be running single screen of 2560 or less (Someone go pull up a steam hardware survey). For those customers, a lower temp card will last longer and have less hardware failures. That's a win all around. And for those of us pushing the envelope, we got more room to play.

I think this card is a win for nVidia. Fix the driver issues and SLI scaling, SLI users should expect and get better scaling.

I am bit disappointed by the performance of SLI. Any indication that upcoming drivers will significantly improve the situation?
Subjectively, frame pacing is better with Maxwell than it has ever been. But there seems to be something wonky going on with SLI and the 340-series drivers, as people with Kepler cards are also reporting SLI issues with the newest drivers. I know NVIDIA will sort these out eventually, but the question is when.

Performance in SLi is fantastic, unless you game at 4K. There it's just pretty good but it should definitely be better than it is.

sli scaling in crysis 3 is pretty much as good as it gets. nearly perfect scaling at 4K with two gpus, 7% off from being perfect with three gpus, and 10% off from being perfect with four gpus. the potential is there, obviously, the rest is down to drivers and engine support.

if im perfectly okay with 60fps in any gameplay, will sli msi 980 4g's be sufficient for any 1440p/4k monitor right now?

i'll more than likely wait till i buy another gpu, and a new monitor till jan/feb but im curious if my upgrade selection will be legit and enough to hold me over for the next 2-3 years.

if im perfectly okay with 60fps in any gameplay, will sli msi 980 4g's be sufficient for any 1440p/4k monitor right now?

i'll more than likely wait till i buy another gpu, and a new monitor till jan/feb but im curious if my upgrade selection will be legit and enough to hold me over for the next 2-3 years.

1 980 GTX should be fine for 1440p.

4k you want either 2 980's or 2 290x's (with the 290x's being WAAAAAAY cheaper)

Back