NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Video Card Review @ [H]

I was reading the Anandtech review and they crucially included triple-screen performance. It seems that even a Titan isn't going to be good enough for 4K displays.

So, most are waiting for the AMD driver to release because CX HD7950 would be close to the HD7990 for the price of this new 780GTX

Which means AMD is still a player without releasing the HD89XX cards if the driver has the goods to fix CX as there are some very fast HD7950 being sold now that can do 7970Ghz clock speeds on stock voltage.

So, most are waiting for the AMD driver to release because CX HD7950 would be close to the HD7990 for the price of this new 780GTX

Which means AMD is still a player without releasing the HD89XX cards if the driver has the goods to fix CX as there are some very fast HD7950 being sold now that can do 7970Ghz clock speeds on stock voltage.

They are? That's news to me... ;).

I would love for Kyle to put this new $650 Gold award card up to the test of HD7950 CX (with the proto driver)that is a cheaper buy and has 4 games to keep and 4 game to sell.

AMD: Gaming DEvolved.... ;). Read some reviews lately?

Crossfire STILL has major latency issues. Its not acceptable yet.
780 and Titan have very low latency. Anandtech's 780 review includes the 7990 but look at the frame time issues. They are STILL terrible.
I'll take a 780 all day long over any multi GPU,and especially Crossfire, the bug filled mess.

I have one and thinking of buying another as i'm very impressed with it.. has Hynix ram onboard and that stock 1250Mhz is a joke. i have it OCCT stable at 1002/1502 on stock voltage.

2 Left in stock at MicroCenter VA........hurry hurry. Just got mine. My 7970 will be up for sale on these boards shortly.

I'm not going to deny NV is a superior option when dealing with mGPU, but if you want to save money, crossfire is not a bad option. I moved from a Titan to 2x7950 CF and now a 7990.

Charts aside, in most of the games I play, crossfire delivers a superior gameplay experience over Titan. I just set a frame limiter via Radeon Pro to eliminate any stuttering in problematic games. I have not seen any 'official' data on this, but it works. I'm looking forward to how AMD's solution compares.

Ok wanted to say........ HOLY SHIT this card is solid. The construction is superb!

I will give some thoughts on upgrade from 7970OC 3D from Gigabyte.

Yes thats a lot of money, but I save all year for the one thing I wubbbbb....... PC Gaming.

I think you overestimate the capability of CrossFireX. Even if this new driver just fixes EVERYTHING - you're still looking at 2x physical GPUs and the heat and power requirements that go along with that versus a single GPU.

I'm all for bang/buck (not for me, personally - but I do recommend 7970s to people looking for it) but it's just not sane right now to bring up 7950s or 7970s in comparison the NVIDIA's top end. Yes, they compete and run in the same arena...but the 780 and TITAN pull ahead in almost every instance.

It says a lot about GCN and AMD's improved drivers, yes...but if you want top end, you have to go NVIDIA. And top end does not equal value.

What a great day for GPU enthusiasts.

I live for days like these.

7870, 7950, 7970, 7990, 670, 680, 690, Titan, and now 780... options options options

1080p, 1200p, 1440p, 1600p, and all their multiscreen variants.

Games that actually can use all this gpu goodness.

CPUs from cheap 2500K to enthusiast 3960x.

Are we living a Golden Age of PC Gaming or what?????

Now if Intel would sell me a 8 core IB-E, I would be in heaven!!!!

My new dream system 3xTitans,3x1440p+4K TV, 8Core IB-E.

So close to reality too. Well except for the £££££ missing in my wallet.

This article is awesome, 3x780,3x1440p+50"1080p TV, my current 6core SB-E, is now within reach.

^^^ another card is coming this week and another very soon after that.

Lots of options. The GTX 580 is still great for many people.

The GTX family of products are definitely great choices for gaming machines... but what struck me when reading over the write-up was how close the family members perform compared to each other. Tight spacing!

Or at least it'svery close on a single monitor. Maybe the value for the higher end cards come out when pushed harder? I think that makes sense.

I think the gaming innovation will stay paused until the move to the higher resolution get's brought mainstream (by consoles?), by newer panels or multiple panel adoption.

I guess I say all that just to rationalize why a die-hard computer junky is sticking with older hardware :)

... okay enough time off back to Skyrim!

this card should of been called the GTX680 super hyper edition, not a 700 series.

800 series will be new archtiecture. That's how it's been recently though. Gtx 4xx and then gtx5xx is a refresh.

this card should of been called the GTX680 super hyper edition, not a 700 series.

It's 30% faster than the 680. That's more than enough for a generational leap.

Your criticism will apply to the 770, though.

It's 30% faster than the 680. That's more than enough for a generational leap.

Your criticism will apply to the 770, though.

Yeah, if the 780 was using the GK104 I could see that, but since it's the GK110 it is definitely a leap.

i guess i expect too much for 700 bucks these days.

It's not $700. Let's not artificially bump up the price because you dislike the product.

which card is coming out this week? the 770 ?

Supposedly, yes, the 770. And the 770 is purportedly a GK104 part, with word floating around that a GTX 680 can be BIOS flashed into a GTX 770, so the expectation is that the 770 is just a slightly tweaked 680.

It's not $700. Let's not artificially bump up the price because you dislike the product.

Supposedly, yes, the 770. And the 770 is purportedly a GK104 part, with word floating around that a GTX 680 can be BIOS flashed into a GTX 770, so the expectation is that the 770 is just a slightly tweaked 680.

It was $617 for me :D for my SC ACX 780 thanks to the neweggbusiness code... but yeah, it's not 700 anyway, people seem to love to fudge numbers to try to make their point sound more legitimate :p.

The BIOS thing was a fake, they just modded a 680 bios to have higher clocks and then used a driver inf text edit to make it show as a 770.

I've been re-reading [H]'s article on overclocking the Titan and it seems that the overclocked 780 is faster by a smidge. However that article doesn't state which driver was used, so I assume it was the ForceWare 314.09 driver in the original Titan article. The 780 review uses the ForceWare 314.09 driver. I hope we'll be able to see an apples to apples comparison of the two when overclocked.

What business do you run, GoldenTiger??

Sorry, but I'm not going to link this personal (and disconnected) forum account to anything much I do professionally right now. I work currently independently as a game developer, though.

MSRP is $650 but unless you live in a tax-free state or country, then wouldn't it bump the price up to $700+ anyway?

MSRP is $650 but unless you live in a tax-free state or country, then wouldn't it bump the price up to $700+ anyway?

That's the point, the final price varies. But at least there are legitimate reasons for that, and not "I think this card is overpriced so I'm just going to exaggerate its figure for effect."

I haven't been keeping up

There going to be a bunch of dua/tril fan OC'd editions soon, right?

Only seen the superclocked Evga (sold out) and Gigabyte Windforce which is not available in Canada.

Going to wait and see what Galaxy and Zotac come up with.

Only seen the superclocked Evga (sold out) and Gigabyte Windforce which is not available in Canada.

Going to wait and see what Galaxy and Zotac come up with.

Man will you guys be excited when you see just what we've got right around the corner ;)

1 x ($659.99) EVGA 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 Video Card $659.99
1 x ($-50.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE$-50.00
Subtotal: $609.99
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $3.99
Total Amount: $613.98

YUMMY! :p

Back