NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Video Card Review @ [H]

Well way too expensive for my blood, had they priced it the same as previous generations at $500 they probably would have made the sale.

Meh. As a 7970 owner can't say I am too impressed with such minimal performance difference... Looks like I'll be waiting for Maxwell or Hawaii...

So, what sort of price drops will we see for the hd 7970 GE and when now that the 780 is here?
Oh, and by the way, my Ti 4600 is still kicking ass:p

50$ less would be very nice but this is ok. My main problem is I dont need it for 1080p and dont see any games in near future that would submit my gtx 670 Top. Even new metro works very well, without SSAA ofc and that was my only reason to look gtx 780.
I chose Haswell for upgrade this round. It will be more interesting with oveclocking and things. GTX 780 maybe when prices drop a bit. Nice review btw.. We got new high end class, for 650$. Bye,bye 400-500$ high end. Thank you Nvidia and go to hell.

Last edited:
We got new high end class, for 650$. Bye,bye 400-500$ high end. Thank you Nvidia and go to hell.

There is nothing new about these prices. The 8800GTX and GTX 280 went for $650 at launch, and the 8800 Ultra went for $830 at launch.

Fuck, what happened to affordable great performing video cards? When did middle of the pack rise to $650?

Oh please AMD, get your act together.. if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next generation from nVidia retail at $850. Great for nVidia.. sucks as a consumer.

Back then we had much cheaper and very fast 8800gts and 260. That is where gtx 780 is now. At least I look at it that way. Dont want to mention 8800gt.

Oh please AMD, get your act together.. if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next generation from nVidia retail at $850. Great for nVidia.. sucks as a consumer.

AMD will be out with the new arch well before Nv.
I think the GTX 780 forces AMD to raise the bar pretty high. They can't jut beat, but need to trounce it (30%+) in order to cause a shift in pricing.
Anything less and ..... well .... Maxwell will be pricey.

Good review but I still have no reason to upgrade my NVidia 570 as it runs everything just fine at 1920x1200.

according to this review ... isnt the HD7970 a better buy for $200 less? in some cases even more than $200 ... looking at the average fps in most games and it seems as if the HD7970 is right there almost on pair with the GTX 780 , with like 1 or maybe 2 fps less in some cases the hd 7970 is ever better..but costing $200 less..

what do you guys think?

according to this review ... isnt the HD7970 a better buy for $200 less? in some cases even more than $200 ... looking at the average fps in most games and it seems as if the HD7970 is right there almost on pair with the GTX 780 , with like 1 or maybe 2 fps less in some cases the hd 7970 is ever better..but costing $200 less..

what do you guys think?

Check the game settings. They are not the same

Nice card, but count me in as being disappointed in the price point.

NV did a good job conditioning everyone to accept a $650 card by releasing the Titan @ $1K that's for sure. If you don't agree, ask yourself what you would have thought about this card and it's price if Titan didn't come first. Then ask yourself if you were pissed at AMD for their $550 7970. I remember the uproar over that and everyone complaining about it being too expensive for the small improvement it gave over the 580. This has a very similar level of improvement only now you get to pay more for it. On top of that you don't even get the bragging rights of having fastest card available, you just get the second fasted one. :confused:

All that said, I can't really blame NV for getting what they can for them. I just find it all kind of funny. With the 680 at $499 you got excellent value, and NV was praised endlessly for pulling AMD in line on price. How things have changed... Now they're being praised (by some anyway) for raising the price of their flagship GTX branded card by $150'ish (give or take a bit) and charging more than AMD ever did just because it's cheaper than the Titan LOL...

Anyway, personally I'm happy to see the 780 isn't way faster than the 7970. That fact combined with the price just means I'll be sticking with my 7970's until the next gen. 2(+) years out of my cards... I like that.

All that said, if I was running 580's or 6970's I would probably be considering the upgrade even at the inflated price as I almost succumbed to the Titan temptation. :eek:

To sum it up....

price price price price price price price price

But, one simple word trumps all. Choice.
And we have plenty of it now.

This video card should be called the Geforce 680 GTX. God I miss competition.

With me updating to a 2560x1440 display, and the fact that my GTX 670 2gb is having fits over the heavy texture mods I use in my Bugthesda games. I wonder if the upgrade to the 780 would be a good option? I have been eyeing the thought up going up to a 4gb version of the 670/680, but I am still reading and doing research. Plus, the LG monitor I am looking at is still 3-6 weeks out on Amazon.

Marketing at it's best, it is MUCH cheaper than $1,000, right?

yep, $650 is dumb for this video card.

If the overpriced Titan wasn't around then everyone would be bitching about the 780's price.

I'll buy one instead of two now......

I have a 6950 right now, and was going to upgrade to a 680 as sort of a pat-me-on-the-back gift to myself for getting a raise. But now I'm tempted to look at the 780, even though I can see what nvidia did with the pricing with respect to the Titan's release.

I have a 6950 right now, and was going to upgrade to a 680 as sort of a pat-me-on-the-back gift to myself for getting a raise. But now I'm tempted to look at the 780, even though I can see what nvidia did with the pricing with respect to the Titan's release.

The Gigabyte Windforce is beastly, and is pretty much the same performance wise as the Titan.

yep, $650 is dumb for this video card.

Okay, let's look at the competition for this card.... oh wait, there is none, and won't be any until the end of the year.

Given that AMD will not have any product to compete with this card until at least Q4, what motive does Nvidia have to put a cheaper price on the GTX 780?

Okay, let's look at the competition for this card.... oh wait, there is none, and won't be any until the end of the year.

Given that AMD will not have any product to compete with this card until at least Q4, what motive does Nvidia have to put a cheaper price on the GTX 780?

I don't care what motive or competition nvidia has.The card is very costly compared to the last 580/680 cards. The fact that there is an EXTREMELY expensive Titan is causing people to think this card is a "deal" at $650. Its exactly the price conditioning nvidia wanted.

This is the kind of performance jump we all expected to come with from a 680 to a 780. If there was no Titan, would this be so much of a "deal" at $650? Hell, this is priced far enough away from the 680 that they dont even have to lower the price on that, and so on down the line. Its like the low/mid/high end cards have all jumped up a price level. Its bad for everyone except nvidias pockets.

People aren't forced to buy it.

Nor did I make any mention of that. I will still be buying one despite me thinking it is overpriced(wanted 2 of them). Im just saying that the price of the Titan is making people believe that a $650 card is a deal now a days.

Nor did I make any mention of that. I will still be buying one despite me thinking it is overpriced(wanted 2 of them). Im just saying that the price of the Titan is making people believe that a $650 card is a deal now a days.

See GTX 280

It has been done before. It's just us getting comfortable with cheap prices over the last few years.
Prices go up and down. Never remained steady over multiple generations. We are on a "up" trend.

See GTX 280

It has been done before. It's just us getting comfortable with cheap prices over the last few years.
Prices go up and down. Never remained steady over multiple generations. We are on a "up" trend.

Yup. I expect things to settle down again next year.

The microstuttering and multi-monitor issues with Crossfire... even with a single card on a single monitor, completely invalidates any comparison between GTX 780 and 7970 in price-performance.

You 7970 guys keep your eye out for those new drivers. I've got a couple of these incoming.

Too expensive for me. What i'm curious about is the gtx 770 prices and the performance it will offer when compared to 7970/680. I'll be waiting for the 8950 next year as I play at 1080p.

Awesome card. Quiet and when overclocked trounces the competition by 30%. As the 7970 GH is just an overclocked 7970 which explains how noisy it is, the custom 780s from various vendors should do well.

Back