NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Video Card Review - NVIDIA's new GeForce GTX 780 video card is finally unveiled. We review the GTX 780 with real world gaming and its most intense 3D games, including Metro: Last Light. If the GTX TITAN had you excited but was a bit out of your price range, the GTX 780 should hold your excitement while being a lot less expensive.

Two free GTX 780 cards up for grabs from Galaxy and HardOCP in Dallas today! TigerDirect will have GTX 780 in stock as this location. TigerDirect is offering a 10% discount for all Galaxy video cards in stock. Thread with details here.

Last edited:
If a person just couldn't see themselves spending the money for a Titan then the 780 is an outstanding way to go since it is so close to Titan performance for a lot less money.

Solid card.... I just grabbed a reference-based superclock version from tigerdirect, should be here tomorrow. It's showing as a 941mhz stock base clock, so I'm pleased... :D. Interesting the reference is going to be so short-lived though...

Great review & thanks for it!
Sad to see that power can only go to 106%, maybe aftermarket boards etc can fix that.
Nipping on the heels of the titan and seems to overclock well.
Otherwise looks like a great card if not just a tad overpriced imo.

Great review & thanks for it!
Sad to see that power can only go to 106%, maybe aftermarket boards etc can fix that.
Nipping on the heels of the titan and seems to overclock well.
Otherwise looks like a great card if not just a tad overpriced imo.

BIOS flashes fixed that for 600 series cards and the Titan, I'm sure we'll see workarounds soon enough.

nice review. very solid card.

decisions, decisions.... wait a bit and get a second Titan for my surround or sell my current one and get to 780's now...

I'll have to do some looking and see if the Titan WB is compatible with 780's.

Thanks for the extra eyes Parja. Editing this morning has been brutal as we were down to the wire on this one. Keep em coming. - Kyle

Second round fixed. Thanks for the granularity. Fixed a bunch of the comma errors on 4. - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressive Oc results. Just waiting on some non reference models to pop up, before buying.

Very nice. I've been debating on upgrading my 7950. I think I may be saving up some money for a 780. New case and watercooling loop first, though.

Not this round for me. Too expensive, and I don't see anything on horizon, that will require that kind of horsepower. My 670 is enough for everything right now. Besides, if I'd upgrade, I'd rather wait for new AMD cards, so prices will go down. I'd never now shell equivalent of two weeks holidays for a graphics card. Guess my time of being [H]ard enthusiasts are over and I've other priorities than having top notch computer.

Not this round for me. Too expensive, and I don't see anything on horizon, that will require that kind of horsepower. My 670 is enough for everything right now. Besides, if I'd upgrade, I'd rather wait for new AMD cards, so prices will go down. I'd never now shell equivalent of two weeks holidays for a graphics card. Guess my time of being [H]ard enthusiasts are over and I've other priorities than having top notch computer.

I am in the same boat as you. I still appreciate that Nvidia is still pushing the envelope and hoping AMD has an answer with the HD8000 series. This will be the first time I've sat out an upgrade since The 7800/XT1900 series.

Wow they be deleting posts in here....Sad I give 1 negative comment, eventhough I will prob still buy it....Sad.

Seems like Big Brother is watching us here in the forums now.

Like the guy posted all the 780's from Newegg, and that was removed as well. I Think Amazon is paying off [H] to have him edit/delete post which show the 780 gtx's for sale.

Let's not get off topic here, but I have deleted NOTHING from this thread. Your THOUGHTS are simply bullshit. Here is a quick link to ALL GTX 780 cards for sale at Newegg. We have NEVER deleted Newegg links, nor will we.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&isNodeId=1&Description=gtx+780&x=-719&y=-112

Kyle

Great review as usual guys.

I mainly came here to cry though... I just got my eVGA 4GB GTX 680 via UPS yesterday... yesterday.

At least I had one day.

Awesome. I have been waiting on the 4770k, guess I should have held off on my 680...

I'm finding my 670 a bit lacking for 1440p. I'd love to upgrade to a single 780, but I think I'll keep an eye on 670 prices and just pick up a second one if they get significantly discounted.

meh, not enough to persuade me to upgrade from a GTX680. Will be looking out for $250~ GTX680's for SLI

Mmm, dat overclock!

Dang, gonna be interesting to see what kind of numbers can be hit with some of the AIC coolers and water cooling.

The OC beats the Titan by more than 10% in Crysis 3 and more than 20% in Far Cry 3.
I would have been happy with it matching but this exceeded my expectations.

I rather get this than to SLI two 680s. Just me. The bigger bus and VRAM for my Surround setup will benefit.
Next month will be sweet.
At $650, I'll be waiting for a sale.
And Metro Last Light, which is mysteriously missing.

I'm finding my 670 a bit lacking for 1440p. I'd love to upgrade to a single 780, but I think I'll keep an eye on 670 prices and just pick up a second one if they get significantly discounted.

My heavily oced 670s have been serving me really well @ 1440p since their release. I was looking foward for the 780 but 650-700$ is the price i would go for TWO cards lol.

I will wait for next gen, hopefully they have powerful 300-350$ cards!

really liking the oc headroom on the 780 tho

Great review as usual guys.

I mainly came here to cry though... I just got my eVGA 4GB GTX 680 via UPS yesterday... yesterday.

At least I had one day.

You have a great card and I'm jealous! I'm running a gtx670 2gb and it's pushing my 1440p monitor so it can get winded pretty quickly if I try and push higher settings. If you wait for tomorrow there will always be something faster, but you have to buy sometime, or die of old age waiting for a better deal. The only reason I would be upset if I were you is if I had paid $650 for that gtx680 4gb.

You have a great card and I'm jealous! I'm running a gtx670 2gb and it's pushing my 1440p monitor so it can get winded pretty quickly if I try and push higher settings. If you wait for tomorrow there will always be something faster, but you have to buy sometime, or die of old age waiting for a better deal. The only reason I would be upset if I were you is if I had paid $650 for that gtx680 4gb.

I bought an eVGA... I'm very seriously considering using their step-up program. Should be able to get into a 780 for a comparatively small sum. I'll lie to myself and treat it as a separate purchase and just pretend I didn't just plunk down a fat wad of cash.

Amazing, 32% increase from just an overclock. It'll be interesting to see voltage unlocked versions from EVGA/MSI.

Started my step-up today. I couldn't have cut it closer, as today is my last day. Woot.

Back