NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Video Card Review @ [H]

I'm impressed that even with a lower 122% power target, it was still able to overclock to GTX 680 overclock speeds. I guess the lower power draw/heat from the chip makes the difference - the GPU Boost tech is really starting to shine for Nvidia.

I have to say, I was weary of GPU Boost when I first heard about it, but in practice, it is one awesome piece of technology. When I sat down and thought about it, it makes sense, and should be how every GPU operates. In fact, the baseclock IMO should be 0-1 MHz, and then just let the GPU clock from 0 to chip maximum depending on the GPU load and need. It would be the most efficient GPU.

Kyle
Can you confirm if Batman Arkham city was benchmarked with the latest patch. If it was has there been any improvement in single card HD 7950 performance especially with 4X AA and 8X AA at 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1600.

All games always have the latest patches at the time of review. I just let Steam keep em up to date.

I'd say that a GTX670 is a fair bit more than a sidegrade. Especially if you game at higher resolutions, the 670 has been to show 20% higher framerates at least, with more benefit at higher resolutions.

I ordered a GTX670 myself to go with my new zr30w, Diablo III is going to be awesome on that. Giving the 6950 to my wife, which is total overkill for her, but if it doesn't die, she shouldn't need to upgrade for a very long time.

20% faster than 2x6950? Is that on a game with heavy tesselation or something? Not doubting, I just expected it to be closer...

I have to say, I was weary of GPU Boost when I first heard about it, but in practice, it is one awesome piece of technology. When I sat down and thought about it, it makes sense, and should be how every GPU operates. In fact, the baseclock IMO should be 0-1 MHz, and then just let the GPU clock from 0 to chip maximum depending on the GPU load and need. It would be the most efficient GPU.

I agree, though I liked the idea when I read up on it... didn't like it at first glance but it's great tech.

I think the technology has a long ways to go.
You should have the chance to take a look at Trine 2 or such, pretty awesome.

I went from a 19" CRT playing in 3D 1024x768 with some crosstalk to a brand new BenQ XL2420TX 3D 1920x1080 ans it's just WOW.

Regarding benchmarks, a few now use 2 screens, some 3 screens, and some game in 3D. I undertand it could be quite long testing all this but a single Full HD 3D bench would be welcome. Anyway, if it's not now, it will be in the coming months as 3D is going up strongly and everyone will have to bench it some day.

Honestly, until it is glasses-less my guess is 3D will remain a tiny niche market at best, as it is now.

For the comments on 3D- I have a passive LG 3DTV coming Monday, and my GTX670 should be here by Tuesday. I'll try and give it a look if I have time, because the passive stuff is much more likely to be pleasing if it isn't too dark (or the resolution issue limits it).

Suddenly the GTX690 has lost a lot of its "value".

A couple of 670 in sli will give you probably 95%+ of a GTX690 for $200 less. Plus in the coming months the 670 are much more likely to drop in price, while the GTX690 being a niche product will remain at $1,000 during its lifetime.

Nah the 690 was never meant to be value item. It's for people who want epeen. But I will say that it is likely to be better than 670 in SLI because the 690 has much less microstutter compared to the 680 in SLI.

FFS I just put my system together with a 7950 last week!!!

Oh well at least I only paid $350 for my 7950 and it will still handle 1920x1200 quite well for me. Just my friggin' luck though.

because the passive stuff is much more likely to be pleasing if it isn't too dark (or the resolution issue limits it).

Just remember you'll get half resolution (540 lines each eye instead of 1080) but I'm sure you will enjoy it if properly set.

So I bought two 670's at Fry's today looking to get back to that "legendary" driver reliability of Nvidia. My last Geforce was a GTX260 core 216. So I uninstall the two 6950s (and all the software) in my sig and slap in my two new 670s. I go to the Nvidia website and download the latest and greatest and guess what? Everytime I try to configure Surround on my three monitors and the nvidia software crashes on me. This is AWESOME.

Just in case this is happening to anyone else my current cabling is both DVI ports on the first card and a single DVI on the 2nd. SLI does enable but only on the "max 3d" setting so surround isn't enabled.

Anyone else seeing this? Is there a newer beta drive that fixes this or is there a "RC" driver that doesn't exibit this behaviour? Cause this is infuriating.

"While the MSRP of this video card starts at $399, add-in-board partner video cards with custom features will range from $300 upwards."

I see that 9 is right next to 0 ...

So I bought two 670's at Fry's today looking to get back to that "legendary" driver reliability of Nvidia. My last Geforce was a GTX260 core 216. So I uninstall the two 6950s (and all the software) in my sig and slap in my two new 670s. I go to the Nvidia website and download the latest and greatest and guess what? Everytime I try to configure Surround on my three monitors and the nvidia software crashes on me. This is AWESOME.

Just in case this is happening to anyone else my current cabling is both DVI ports on the first card and a single DVI on the 2nd. SLI does enable but only on the "max 3d" setting so surround isn't enabled.

Anyone else seeing this? Is there a newer beta drive that fixes this or is there a "RC" driver that doesn't exibit this behaviour? Cause this is infuriating.

Did you make sure to use driver sweeper? My drivers crashed a lot when I didn't use driver sweeper...

patiently awaiting a aftermarket cooled version of the card in which the total length STILL remains just to the actual end of the pcb. SLI in sff would rock.

Did you make sure to use driver sweeper? My drivers crashed a lot when I didn't use driver sweeper...

Never had to before but I may just do a complete re-install. But I'll try sweeper first and see what happens. If it works it saves me re-downloading BF3 and my steam games. Thx for the tip.

Just remember you'll get half resolution (540 lines each eye instead of 1080) but I'm sure you will enjoy it if properly set.

Oh yeah, but it's just so much more comfortable! Not sure what games I'd ever use it for, as I will have my workstation in a different room hooked up to the 30" ZR30w, but it will be nice to see it once.

"While the MSRP of this video card starts at $399, add-in-board partner video cards with custom features will range from $300 upwards."

I see that 9 is right next to 0 ...

I was hoping it was not a typo :D

For the comments on 3D- I have a passive LG 3DTV coming Monday, and my GTX670 should be here by Tuesday. I'll try and give it a look if I have time, because the passive stuff is much more likely to be pleasing if it isn't too dark (or the resolution issue limits it).

I'd be very interested in your opinion and how setup went for you. Please chime back if you can.

It looks like the inventory on these is much better than the 680, still plenty in stock on NewEgg.

Did AMD slap nvidia's momma or something? Nvidia has been coming out with a vengeance this generation.

Yet another amazing card. I can't wait to see what the GTX 660 Ti's are gonna perform like. Hopefully AMD sets their pricing to mirror last gen to compete better and we as gamers can reep the bennefits

How does this sound?

7970 new msrp $379.99
7950 new msrp $299.99
7870 new msrp $229.99
7850 New msrp $189.99

I may have gotten some of the old pricing mixed up but more or less you get the idea. Current cards from nvidia are making it AMD's only logical move to compete.

Did anyone get bothered by the size of the PCB being smaller than usual for a $400 card?

Back