NVIDIA Geforce GTX 590 Video Card Blows Up on Video - Forceware Drivers Blamed

Have you EVER seen a 1.2v air overclock with a gtx580 without a modded bios and hopefully on water?

Have you ever seen a 6970 at 1.55 volts, I hope not, because they also have a fried card or a card that I would never buy used off them.

It's not about the % of the increase, its why if a gtx580 can't do it how would you expect a dual gtx580 to do it?
TPU gave their 580 (stock cooler, modified BIOS) 1.21V from default 1.05V and it survived.
In their 6970 review they raised the voltage from 1.175V to 1.45V and the card survived.

The reviewer was not cautiously raising the voltage as he should, and it certainly accelerated the 590's demise. But to place the blame solely on w1zzard is not warranted imho. The ASUS card is marketed with overvolting capabilities, just ASUS doesn't say by how much. And it is the reviewer's farking job to find out and tell his readers.

EDIT: Actually, ASUS and Nvidia now say how much you can safely overvolt the card, but they did not at the time of the review.

Techpowerup got a huge collection of modded bioses. All those bioses where modded by idiots who mods the 2nd values in the voltage tables and who thinks low power mode and throttle mode is the same

I've not come across one bios that the correct values or entries were changed.

TPU gave their 580 (stock cooler, modified BIOS) 1.21V from default 1.05V and it survived.
In their 6970 review they raised the voltage from 1.175V to 1.45V and the card survived.

The reviewer was not cautiously raising the voltage as he should, and it certainly accelerated the 590's demise. But to place the blame solely on w1zzard is not warranted imho. The ASUS card is marketed with overvolting capabilities, just ASUS doesn't say by how much. And it is the reviewer's farking job to find out and tell his readers.

EDIT: Actually, ASUS and Nvidia now say how much you can safely overvolt the card, but they did not at the time of the review.

So your saying they made the same mistake twice? That changes nothing, it sounds like they did it on purpose now. Let me guess if I go back to the 21 page thread at techpowerup, thats the excuse they are giving.

The guy was asked the question 3 or 4 times in the first 20 pages and avoided it, if he suddenly found an excuse, he looks even more guilty. jeeeez stop defending this guy HE MADE A MISTAKE, HE JUST NEEDS TO OWN UP TO IT.

So your saying they made the same mistake twice? That changes nothing, it sounds like they did it on purpose now. Let me guess if I go back to the 21 page thread at techpowerup, thats the excuse they are giving.

The guy was asked the question 3 or 4 times in the first 20 pages and avoided it, if he suddenly found an excuse, he looks even more guilty. jeeeez stop defending this guy HE MADE A MISTAKE, HE JUST NEEDS TO OWN UP TO IT.

Taking responsibility for one's actions? I'm not waiting for it, it's more than likely for something like this to occur.

They pushed the card to hard & paid for it. As simple as that.

They pushed the card and nvidia paid for it actually but your point still stands. I've been reading alot about GTX 590 overclocking and it seems that it can be pushed to around and over 800 mhz depending on the card at around 1.0V. That is faster than GTX 580 stock speed on this card. Granted there will be power throttling etc.. but when your reaching such a high frequency why push the voltage to 1.2v when you will probably top out the speed of the card with 1.05V or less? It could easily be said just to see how far it'll go. Well we know now.... Boom! :)

More reports surface and it seems indeed that Nvidia is trying to solve the problem with new drivers.

The 267.52 drivers allow the card to operate in a dangerous configuration, that is already known. Unfortunately, it is not certain that 267.71 would have saved the card.
Only with 267.85 it seems that the problem got under control, at the expense of performance (more precisely, intermittent downclocking which causes variation in fps).
Source (Google translation)

Back