NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Review @ [H]

Isn't this part competing with the 5770? I am impressed the 460 could beat the ATI 5830. :rolleyes:

Anandtech also has their review up and they've tested the 460 SLI setup against the big boys, and it does very well - beating the similarly priced 480 and hanging in there with the 5970. Seriously, If you are at the $225 or $450 price pt, I don't see why anyone would not get this card. Best performance/price hands down.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the great review. I also wanted to take the time to voice that I would like to see a few more cards in comparison, specifically, something from the previous generation. That way you're not only giving an idea of how it stacks up with current tech, but also with previous, for those looking to see what kind of an upgrade they can expect. In this case, something like a GTX280/285 or a HD4870/4890 would have been awesome.

Sure, this is always the case, but in the case of Surround AMD has its work cut out for it. 480 SLI is handing 5870 CF its ass in multi-monitor which lets face it, who was expecting that with the SAME 480 that was launched in April? Fermi is simply more powerful and scalable than what was being said by most in April. The single 480 didn't get a Gold award, SLI was a bit better, then Surround comes out and Kyle said what the best gaming experience he ever had. Fermi has gone from too this and too that to too much for the 5000s.

Of course AMD will have a better product out the door than the 5000s in time, but my point is look at Fermi today and look at it know. I remember a post right at Fermi launch with some kind of burning flesh video as a joke labeled "3x GTX 480 Review". The only thing that's getting burned now are games at 5760x1080 with that setup.

This is a case of the first impression being pretty wrong overall I'd say.
I agree Nvidia Surround is way better then eyefinity right now, except you can run it on 1 card with ATI compared to Nvidia. But at the same time you need more performance then just 1 card (not including the 5970).

I doubt ATI will just release a new card with the dongle and eyefinity issues they are having. But who knows with ATI.

I do know that come sept/oct when I do to purchase a new card ill look at both camps and compare. Which is why im hoping the 485 GTX will be fixed properly

I'm very impressed with this card. I'm looking forward to the GTX 485 version of this new designed Fermi card. It will surely be a beast.

I do know that come sept/oct when I do to purchase a new card ill look at both camps and compare. Which is why im hoping the 485 GTX will be fixed properly

I simply want the best that I can afford and I'll look at both this fall as well but 3D has changed my view of GPUs, quite literally. I'm just not going to be that intrested in a non-3D solution anymore. I know 3D is considered a just a fad or gimmick by many but the beauty it ads to titles designed properly, it simply is the single biggest visual quality enhancement I've ever seen in PC gaming when coupled with Surround. BC2, Batman AA and JC2, just different games in 3D.

I'm very impressed with this card. I'm looking forward to the GTX 485 version of this new designed Fermi card. It will surely be a beast.

Me too! I've already budgested $1500 for 3 this fall if they are as good as 460. Honestly I'd like some more power for 3D Surround, 2D Surround @ 5760x1080 is almost a piece of cake with these 480s.

I simply want the best that I can afford and I'll look at both this fall as well but 3D has changed my view of GPUs, quite literally. I'm just not going to be that intrested in a non-3D solution anymore. I know 3D is considered a just a fad or gimmick by many but the beauty it ads to titles designed properly, it simply is the single biggest visual quality enhancement I've ever seen in PC gaming when coupled with Surround. BC2, Batman AA and JC2, just different games in 3D.

Me too! I've already budgested $1500 for 3 this fall if they are as good as 460. Honestly I'd like some more power for 3D Surround, 2D Surround @ 5760x1080 is almost a piece of cake with these 480s.

Yea 3D is not for everyone. I think its one of the worst things to come around. Glasses on top of glasses is not for me.

Like I said before when 3D pc gaming comes out and not needing any special 120hz monitor/glasses or anything funky, Thats the 3D gaming I want.

So it looks like nVidia has FINALLY put AMD in its place. nVidia now has both the high and low end of gaming covered. 480 SLI is the best performing solution at the high end and now the 460 is the best at the low end. Wow. This is why you just can't count nVidia out, they find a way to win somehow.

Like the 480, too hot, too loud, too power hingry and now kicking sand in AMD's Eye(s)finity. Now we have the best $200 card ever based on the same too hot, too loud and too power hungry architecture.

Just plain funny!

If all the products you're talking about launched at the same time, then yes, nice win for NV. However, when taken into retrospect that ATI's parts launched 10 months ago... I wouldn't really call it a win, but an expectation. It's a lot easier to know what you have to beat, than to guess on what the competition's latest products are. We already know ATI's 6000 series parts should be coming out within the next few months, we'll see how things turn out then.

You're wrong on the account that "NV has the low end of gaming covered." Last time I checked the MAJORITY of people do not spend $200 on videocards. NV has absolutely no DX11 parts below $200. A 5770 can be had for as little as $130ish, and other ATI cards exist below the $100 pricepoint. For "low-end gamers" a 5770 is sufficient to max out their games at the smaller resolutions they play at. I recently built two low-end gaming rigs for friends who couldn't afford to pay more than $150 for a video card, and for their 20"-22" screens the 5770 fit the bill perfectly. Anything more really would've been a waste for them.

Regarding Surround vs. Eyefinity, I'm very glad to see NV's multiple monitor solution work so well. That said, there's no NV sand to rub out of my eyes since I only run a single GPU (5870), and would prefer to keep it that way. I'm extremely happy with my Eyefinity setup (3 x 23") and the performance I get on it with my OC'd 5870. Most of my games I hardly had to turn down the settings to maintain a playable FPS.

I was impressed by ati's lineup this series but I am equally impressed by nv's ability to somewhat bounce back from what *I* thought was a poor series launch. Yes the product is quite late to the party but that doesn't mean I don't want one. I want one just to overclock it now, maybe 2.

Just to clarify is triple sli absolutely not supported on this card or is it up to the pcb design used by the reference nvidia boards? eg is it possible for an OEM to make their own board with 2 headers?

good review [H] team, and all the better for the Arma2: Operation Arrowhead benchmarks.

thank you.

Good, positive review....I'm slowly getting interested again!!!:eek:;););) Pity Arma 2 has so many f'n controls:(:confused::confused:

Amazing review as per, thanks.

Is it a typo or is that Galaxy card using wtf loads of power at load?

Thanks for the review. It's good to see Nvidia getting competitive in the budget arena again.

Would one of these be a good upgrade from my aging 4870 1GB? I kind of doubt that I'd notice the changes from DX10 to DX11, but multi-monitor gaming has my interests peaked.

However, I really don't like the idea of dropping $400 solely on video cards, not to mention the money I'd have to spend on the rest of my rig in order to get it working on an SLI setup, versus being able to throw in a single card in my current MB.

It's good to see Nvidia get back in the game with a product that goes toe-to-toe with AMD's offerings in both performance and heat/power/noise. And what's more is that it's at probably one of the most popular price points for the average consumer.

So it looks like nVidia has FINALLY put AMD in its place. nVidia now has both the high and low end of gaming covered. 480 SLI is the best performing solution at the high end and now the 460 is the best at the low end. Wow. This is why you just can't count nVidia out, they find a way to win somehow.

Like the 480, too hot, too loud, too power hingry and now kicking sand in AMD's Eye(s)finity. Now we have the best $200 card ever based on the same too hot, too loud and too power hungry architecture.

Just plain funny!
lol what ? :D are you serious

If you guys head over to Anandtech's review, 460 SLI is where the money is. For the price, you can't beat it. I've been keeping my eye on something to replace my 275 SLI setup for a while and the 460 in SLI looks to be it. (replace it without dropping 700-1000 dollars that is)

Nice that Nvidia got GF104 right on their very first attempt..it's rare that they can get A1 version of GPU to cards that are actually sold. GF100's third version (A3) made it to 480, 470 and 465..and it doesn't work as well as it should. These GPUs that we see on these reviews were made on early June..they surely rushed these products :)

If you guys head over to Anandtech's review, 460 SLI is where the money is. For the price, you can't beat it. I've been keeping my eye on something to replace my 275 SLI setup for a while and the 460 in SLI looks to be it. (replace it without dropping 700-1000 dollars that is)

Yep, it's ridiculously good... I'm going for 460 1GB SLI instead of GTX 470 SLI since it'll run cooler/less juice/lower fan speeds, and be nearly as fast at max-overclock-to-max-overclock in SLI for me (~675-700mhz 470 vs. 900+mhz 460 1GB) in all likeliness from the reviews I've seen that did SLI.

I wouldnt mind getting 2 of these in SLI for right now with EVGA and do 90 step-up to the newest 485 (or whatever they call it)....Any info on a new top tier card from Nvidia?

The first card from Nvidia this round that sounds competitive. Good numbers and price - and especially good temp/sounds numbers, can't wait to see what ATI will do :X Have to love competition.

The first card from Nvidia this round that sounds competitive. Good numbers and price - and especially good temp/sounds numbers, can't wait to see what ATI will do :X Have to love competition.

They have no choice but to cut prices of the 5830 and 5850.

Well excuse me, drop the 5850 to retail price back to $249...(imo even lower now)

I smell $229 5850's in the future this summer i said we'd see $200 5850's by august!

Although I'm impressed overall with its performance, I was expecting for it to be the perfect match to game at 1080p, no 1680x1050 for me. Fortunately overclocking comes to the rescue.

I assume [H] won't be comparing it to the 465 and just say it's just not worth it, But I'd like to see [H]ard numbers to back it up.

BTW I think that people looking at cards in the $200 range, also consider cards in the $250 range.

Sometimes an extra $50 gives you a lot in terms of features and performance but sometimes you can save money and still get great performance.

I think people considering a 465 or even a 5850, should take a look at this card.

Just plain funny!

Yeah, and it only took them 9 months to do it (AMD's 5700-series was released October of last year). With THAT much time on their hands Nvidia had damn well better be able to put out something competitive at the mid-range.

Competition = Customers Win

Good to see the green team striking back. Also, keep it coming red! Lets see what they can pull out in 3-4 months.

Would you like the GTX 460 included in the ASUS ARES review as well?

Indeed I would.

As a consumer, I would like to see all the latest cards (no matter the price point) side by side. Its how you guys used to do things, but then "things" changed.

Think it might be time to replace my 8800GT's running in SLI with one GTX 460 1Gmem.

Think there will be enough increase to justify?

This might just convince me to upgrade from my now ancient 8800 GTX! It's so far behind the times, I have no way to compare it to the current generation directly. Is it safe to say that the GTX 460 is both faster and more energy efficient than the 8800 GTX?

I upgraded from a 8800GTX to a 470...

I have a core2duo e8400 setup - 4GB RAM.

I can run at 1080p at the highest settings, but if there's an intense blood bath in, say, borderlands, going on, it will slow down noticeable - i've been told I need to get a i7...

Kind of a bummer, but that's how it rolls.

I upgraded from a 8800GTX to a 470...

I have a core2duo e8400 setup - 4GB RAM.

I can run at 1080p at the highest settings, but if there's an intense blood bath in, say, borderlands, going on, it will slow down noticeable - i've been told I need to get a i7...

Kind of a bummer, but that's how it rolls.

And everyone tells me that people with Q6600's and E8400+ CPU's dont need to upgrade...

There are some high-profile games that benefit heavily from quad-core, like JC2, BC2, and GTA 4. I don't know whether Borderlands utilizes quad-core. In general, though, if you have a C2D, you should upgrade; if you have a C2Q, you probably don't need to bother.

Back