NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card Review @ [H]

Watercooling was apparently almost useless for regular 1080's for any purpose other than noise profile. Think the 1080ti's under full cover waterblocks would be able to be pushed much further than a ~10% overclock that most of the review samples seem to be limited to on air?

I don't know about 15 years ago, but 10 years ago, Nvidia introduced the 8800 Ultra at $829

That's pretty much when their mind games against consumers started. I couldn't afford an $800 8800 Ultra back then, and I couldn't afford a $600 8800GTX, but I sure as hell shelled out the $250 for the 8800GT...which, at the time, was the most I've ever paid for a single GPU.

Last edited:
Look through the comments section at Tom's and you'll see that FormatC has already doing his own waterblock solution. At first the results weren't big but eventually he got to a stable 2GHZ at 41c. He's still just starting but its fun to see.

That's pretty much when they're mind games against consumers started. I couldn't afford an $800 8800 Ultra back then, and I couldn't afford a $600 8800GTX, but I sure as hell shelled out the $250 for the 8800GT...which, at the time, was the most I've ever paid for a single GPU.

IIRC I paid about 440$ for an EVGA E-Geforce4 Ti 4600.. and about 450$ for the asus V8460 Ultra (which was their name to the same Geforce 4 TI 4600) both great 1024x768 gaming, Well that was in 2002, 15 years ago 450$ was A LOT..

IIRC I paid about 440$ for an EVGA E-Geforce4 Ti 4600.. and about 450$ for the asus V8460 Ultra (which was their name to the same Geforce 4 TI 4600) both great 1024x768 gaming, Well that was in 2002, 15 years ago 450$ was A LOT..

Yep...I paid $199 for a 4400Ti 8x way back when (they had been out for a while when I purchased), and that was a hard pill to swallow at the time.

When I bought my GeForce 3 Ti500 for $350, I thought that was a hefty price, but back then I was in college, buying beer for recycling money plus what I could fish out of the couch.

It was also $150 cheaper than the $500 GeForce 2 Ultra the year before.

Probably grabbing one of these after we see the inevitable Vega flop. Performance looks pretty darn solid for the price.

$700.00 is not ludicrous , if anything its cheap.... high end cards were $700.00 15 years ago so they should be congratulated for keeping the prices the same year after year
They were also produced in extremely low numbers with 7 different brands and designs....lots of waste.

Maybe that was 20 years ago now....god i am getting old.

Buy monitor first, buy GPU first, buy monitor first, buy GPU first......

Buy monitor first, buy GPU first, buy monitor first, buy GPU first......

I bought the X34 first (I had the U2711 and still own a VG248QE and was on SLI Titans) Then I moved to 1080 (bought used)... now I'm tempted to go for the Ti!

I guess it's time for me to do that thing with inflation prices and charts and graphs I do every couple of years to put everything back into perspective again :p

upload_2017-3-9_22-38-28.png

upload_2017-3-9_22-34-55.png

The price for the performance is not bad at all. But I think Nvidia learned that their is massive resistance when priced beyond 700 bucks. Only a select few in the PC world will pay over 700 dollars for a video card.

They were also produced in extremely low numbers with 7 different brands and designs....lots of waste.

Maybe that was 20 years ago now....god i am getting old.

I'm not so sure about the low numbers claim.... how low are we talking and what are you using as a source?

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
I doubt that, very much indeed.

I believe the most common size of 4K PC monitors is 32''
feel free to post sources for this claim. The most common 4k display size used on PC is probably in the 39-43"range , for a price/features issue.

$250 for the 8800GT
An amazing value card that was recicled over and over and over on NVIDIA's product line up.

buy the monitor first.
Now it is not a bad time to get a 1080Ti, very few believe Vega will best it. But there are many good monitors coming out over the next months.

"one person from NVIDIA told us last month, "We are waiting for nothing." What has been made very clear to us directly is that NVIDIA is moving down its own path to improve the gameplay experience. NVIDIA is not waiting for the competition, or to counter the competition"

translation: we know Vega is going to disappoint so there's no need for us to wait and react to AMD

Oooor the translation: We better get this out the door quick before Vega comes out and changes things

one could hope that RTG brings out a card that does exceptionally well :) but as of now... the 1080ti looks compelling!

I remember those days. My first foray into 3D acceleration was a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with a Diamond Monster 3D VooDoo card. The setup wasn't $700 but it wasn't cheap. I remember having dual VooDoo2 12MB cards in SLI which ran nearly $400 each If I recall correctly. I also had a Matrox Millennium 8MB card in the box with it. Not a cheap setup. Ever since the dawn of the 3D accelerator I've been paying out the ass for video cards. $700 for a single card that's capable of decent gaming at $700 today isn't all that expensive to me.

At one point I had a Creative Labs MPEG 2 DXR3 decoder card, a Matrix for 2D and 2 VooDoo2 12MB cards in SLI. That's right, 4 freaking video cards to do the job of just one card today. That shit was expensive relative to both the time and my income levels of the day.

I hear ya and totally agree. My older systems weren't always as extravagant but my last Pentium 4 had some similarities. I can't remember all the different brand GPU's I used in it(last was a ATI HD2600) and multiple generations of sound cards. That was back when you mainly needed a sound card coupled to a GPU to get the best of both and the combination easily ran into the $400-600 range. Still a ways before onboard MOBO chips or NVIDIA began including them in their cards.

Even though I've loved and been proud of my multi-gpu setups, I'm really looking forward to having a simple and efficient single card solution again. My most complicated multi GPU setup so far has been 2x970's SLI and a 780 dedicated PhysX on the X79 MOBO. It was ugly but cool to see with the right games utilizing it.

$700 for the TI is totally reasonable. This not even close to being a slightly ordinary card. As awesome as the 980TI's are I feel this one will be hanging around in some builds for at least 4 years. This is not the kind of card someone buys and worries about a year or two later. You get it, enjoy it, and think about all the good times when looking back years from now. Many people are not even grasping the simplicity and cost effectiveness of making a build around this. Lower wattage PSU's(just focus on quality), non-SLI MOBO's, low to mid range CPU's running fast. These GPU's are the key to building an affordable($1500 or less) high end 1440p/4k gaming beast. I'm just goint to be happy to recycle my Z68/2600k back into the future.

I remember those days. My first foray into 3D acceleration was a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with a Diamond Monster 3D VooDoo card. The setup wasn't $700 but it wasn't cheap. I remember having dual VooDoo2 12MB cards in SLI which ran nearly $400 each If I recall correctly. I also had a Matrox Millennium 8MB card in the box with it. Not a cheap setup. Ever since the dawn of the 3D accelerator I've been paying out the ass for video cards. $700 for a single card that's capable of decent gaming at $700 today isn't all that expensive to me.

At one point I had a Creative Labs MPEG 2 DXR3 decoder card, a Matrix for 2D and 2 VooDoo2 12MB cards in SLI. That's right, 4 freaking video cards to do the job of just one card today. That shit was expensive relative to both the time and my income levels of the day.

Heh,

I completely slipped the Voodoo2 era.

I was in my International Baccalaureate program back then, and neither had the time or money for it.

I had a 6MB Miro HiScore 3D (THE Europeans rebrand of the Canopus Pure 3D) Voodoo 1 board and an old Matrox Millenium for 2D.

Always hated the loss of quality you got in 2D from using the 3DFX passthrough cable.

I used that setup in a Pentium 150 (pre-MMX) overclocked to 200Mhz for way longer than most did, only first upgrading to a During 650MHz (clocked at 950MHz) and a GeForce 2 GTS in the fall of 2000, beginning of my Sophomore year in College.

That site showed that they were coming soon and wouldn't let me order them.

Laughing at the 1080ti beating a regular Titan X it even the 1080ti even has more stable frame rates instead of being all over the place like the Titan X Pascal is doing.

UI went back and forth on that. In th eend I purposely omitted the Titan's as they appear to be in an extreme class of their own, and would skew the results
they are also a milking method to get extra cash. It really isn't needed. It isn't like the TIs would cost 1000 if titans didnt exist.

Is there any reviews/quides with OVing done? I am curious what the real max is of this card. Any OVing TXP reviews?

Your telling me when we had 7 different GPU vendors we had the same volume per vender as we do today with only 2 venders?

No way in fucking hell in 1995-2000 we had the same volume of sales of GPUs per vender as we do today. Your telling me the top of the line GPU of 1995 sold sold as many units as the GP102? (or whatever titan/TI is)

I actually wasn't telling you anything, I was asking you to back up your claim that they were produced in low numbers.....which based on your reply, I'm guessing you cant.

On the BF1 section, the text above the 4K graph reads "2560x1440 1440p" instead of "4K" or whatever

Back