NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card Review - NVIDIA is launching the fastest video card it offers for gaming today in the form of the new $699 GeForce GTX 1080 Ti. We will take this video card and test it against the GeForce GTX 1080 and GeForce GTX TITAN X at 1440p and 4K resolutions to find out how it compares. Is it really faster than a $1200 GeForce GTX TITAN X Pascal?

Last edited:
That said this is one helluva damn card, and if Vega doesn't have an answer for it, I dunno if even I will be able to resist having one in my box. Damn impressive job Nvidia.

Who wants to bet Vega will slot in significantly below this? Nvidia has cut AMD off at the pass again. They've just been sitting there waiting.

Thats a great price for that card....I'm hoping to grab one shortly.

I'll go ahead and put my chips on Vega will modestly outperform a 1080 for about the price that a 1080 *used to be*. NV needed to put something in the stack besides the Titan XP to stay relevant in the enthusiast bracket, if that is the case. Largely, rereleasing the Titan XP at a viable price point does that.

Such an odd thought, building a PC with an AMD CPU and dual nVidia GPUs, what a world. These things are mighty impressive.

Reactions: rehab
like this
This will replace my 980ti later this year. Once the market settles. Unbelievable performance increase for a single year of new tech.

The 1440p numbers check out very nicely. The Ti seems to be the ticket for high refresh rate 1440p gaming. I'll be stepping up to the Ti if EVGA lets me.

Daaaaaaaamn, nVidia! Very impressive showing.

Thanks for the review, [H]!

Wow, looks to be an awesome card - We'll see if Vega is able to respond? regardless - looks like we get some amazing cards this year :)

Very, very cool. As a normal GTX1080 owner this gives me even more hope that whatever is next is the going to be the 4K card I've been wanting. I'm glad Nvidia is still putting out killer high-end hardware with no real competition. If only Intel was doing the same.

While I'm still only at 1080p, I will hold off for now on this one. Great card that looks to be an utter beast but I don't have the screens to totally make use of it (I will once I have my Sony X800D 43" 4K screen, but that isn't slated to happen until middle to end of this year).

So a 50-55% jump from my 980ti, then? Definitely going to in the market for one in a few months. Maybe by then, we'll have a better idea of Vega as well.

Well, it leaves me feeling sorry for Titan XP buyers.

Yes, they got almost but not quite Ti performance from just under six months ago ....for a $500 premium! Way to shaft your fan base nVidia!

Why anyone would buy a Titan in the future knowing that as sure as night follows day the same card will be re-released six months later and almost 50% cheaper I just don't know.

There's always going to be "the next best thing" waiting on the wings to replace something, or provide better performance, at a lower cost and provide a better value. One day something will replace the 1080, at a lower price, and be just as fast. It's GPU progress moving forward. You can either chose to keep waiting for a better value, or you can purchase in the now, and enjoy what is possible now. For those that had purchased the TITAN X they got exactly that at the time it launched and have been enjoying better performance all this time, there was nothing else better. Did it cost a lot? Yes. No one denies this. Now, six months later, there is something newer, and cheaper, with even better performance, that's how it goes.

Those people who did get a TITAN X and still have one should have no regrets, they are still getting similar performance today, and for the last six months have been experiencing and playing games with the best experience possible, way more than just the 1080 experience, the 1080 Ti is not an upgrade for them. Could they have saved money if they had waited? Sure, but that can be said about every video card: "If I just wait till next year, then the next gen cards will be faster and cheaper...." And so it goes on, and on and on. You either keep waiting forever, or put your foot down and chose what the best available today is.

Nvidia blew everyone away with the 1080 and did it again without any competition with the 1080ti.... Impressive.

Thankfully we have VR to keep Nvidia pushing forward otherwise they might have pulled an Intel and phoned this one in.

Yes, they got almost but not quite Ti performance from just under six months ago ....for a $500 premium! Way to shaft your fan base nVidia!

Why anyone would buy a Titan in the future knowing that as sure as night follows day the same card will be re-released six months later and almost 50% cheaper I just don't know.

Less than $100 a month for the "privilege" to have that performance before this card arrived.

Time to ditch my last 1080 and upgrade. I hope they will have enough in stock on launch date.

I wouldn't feel sorry for the Titan X crowd. They knew what they were doing. I sure as hell did when I got mine. The cycle of the Titan coming out and being replaced by a faster card for about half the price happened twice before. I don't know how anyone expected something different to happen this time.

Lots of people shitting their pants at the AMD corporate office this morning I bet.

Saw the reviews and videos all over the place this morning, helluva card. My 1070 will hold me tight for the next few months till the custom cooled ones start hitting and supply catches up. Contemplating going watercooling this round for my GPU as it looks like the 1080Ti would just eat up all that headroom thermal wise and crank out some crazy good stuff.

I wouldn't feel sorry for the Titan X crowd. They knew what they were doing. I sure as hell did when I got mine. The cycle of the Titan coming out and being replaced by a faster card for about half the price happened twice before. I don't know how anyone expected something different to happen this time.
I bought one because I'd never had one before and wanted to experience the best of the best. I went from two 980s to one Titan X and said goodbye to SLI. No regrets. I don't think any one of us that bought a Titan X didn't expect the Ti to come out early this year. In fact, I would have been surprised if it didn't.

droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great card but I'm keeping my 1080 til at least Volta. I am more then satisfied with its performance still.

Can't wait for non FE cards to push the limits. This will be a huge upgrade over my 980 SLI.

Could we please get some 4k ultra benches WITHOUT AA. Holy shit, every reviewer is including AA in their 4k benchmarks and its not needed at 4k.

Nvidia is competing just with itself. AMD has nothing to dethrone it. Wish Intel would compete with itself on same performance jumps. It's what, twice that fast than last-gen Ti?

Now, I wonder if I'll wait for AIB or just get Alphacool Eiswolf/Eisbaer combo :)

BTW, Kyle, Brent you didn't mention anything about noise and different sites speak differently about it? How it goes before OC and after OC? Irritating, tolerable?

Could we please get some 4k ultra benches WITHOUT AA. Holy shit, every reviewer is including AA in their 4k benchmarks and its not needed at 4k.

That's debatable, and depends on the game. In the case of Sniper Elite 4 I wish I had some better AA options in that game even at 4K, there is still noticeable aliasing on the foliage.
In our evaluation check out the games: Deus Ex, Watch Dogs 2, Gears of War 4 and Battlefield 1, those games do not have MSAA enabled in our tests at 4K, we have the shader based AA methods enabled. Shader based AA does not cause a performance impact, it's practically a free option. And yes, SMAA/FXAA, shader based methods are still needed IMO at 4K to reduce aliasing. I can detect aliasing at 4K in games, and it bothers me.

Nvidia is competing just with itself. AMD has nothing to dethrone it. Wish Intel would compete with itself on same performance jumps. It's what, twice that fast than last-gen Ti?

Now, I wonder if I'll wait for AIB or just get Alphacool Eiswolf/Eisbaer combo :)

BTW, Kyle, Brent you didn't mention anything about noise and different sites speak differently about it? How it goes before OC and after OC? Irritating, tolerable?

At default the card was quiet, running full tilt while gaming I did not pick up on any fan noise to worry about.
Setting the fan to a manual speed is just going to depend what speed you set it to, for our overclocking I used 75% and it was loud, but, to me, the TITAN X fan was louder at 75%. There were no weird noises with the fan, no whining or whizzing or high pitched noises, it was a pretty dull solid movement of air kind of sound. Considering the temperature we got with the overclock we could probably lower the fan speed down to 50% and be just fine with the overclock and temps, and that is much more bearable on sound.

Hole. E. Shit.

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. THE 4k card.

And for what you get compared to the original 1080 FE pricing, it's almost a no brainer. If you were willing top spend that, you should be willing to buy this. Here I am living vicariously through you all. I'm still torn/saving for the 1060/480/1070 battles for a lowly 1080p 60hz.

At default the card was quiet, running full tilt while gaming I did not pick up on any fan noise to worry about.
Setting the fan to a manual speed is just going to depend what speed you set it to, for our overclocking I used 75% and it was loud, but, to me, the TITAN X fan was louder at 75%. There were no weird noises with the fan, no whining or whizzing or high pitched noises, it was a pretty dull solid movement of air kind of sound. Considering the temperature we got with the overclock we could probably lower the fan speed down to 50% and be just fine with the overclock and temps, and that is much more bearable on sound.

Thanks. Not waiting then :)

Back