Well I know what I'll be doing June. SLI 1070s with all of the ram at full speed will be the SLI price killer that everyone will switch to. 980 TI SLI speed for about 800 bucks please somebody pinch me. Plus who knows what other type of bandwith this will open up for 4K. 1070 or 1080 SLI at 4K Might finally give us over 60 FPS on ultra settings. They are going to be selling a butt load of 4K displays in the next six months.

What's this?
Purported GeForce GTX 1080 cooler shroud pictures leaked

51351_01_purported-geforce-gtx-1080-cooler-shroud-pictures-leaked_full.jpg

Damn that looks nice.

Is it hoping for too much to hope for 1 1080 performing the same as 2x 980 (not Ti) in SLi at 1080p? I only game at 1080p now since I twitch stream and I want to go to a single card solution moving forward, but I don't want to drop performance either. SLi scaling isn't spectacular and that seems to be the case lately so Hopefully they can pull it off.

My predictions!

GTX 1080 will be 15-25% faster than a 980Ti.

GTX 1070 will be 0-5% faster than 980Ti.

All other new Nvidia cards will be no-shows until 2H.

My source? My dad works at Nintendo.

If this is true, I think I'd be in for a 1070 assuming it's not hugely more expensive than a GTX 970.

My predictions!

Well my source tells me your predictions are completely bogus.

Source: There's a dude couple units over that works at nVidia

I hope both of them blow the 980ti out of the water..... never getting a blower GFX card again

My predictions!

For what it's worth I think these are pretty accurate educated guesses given the leaked specs we have at this time, I guess we will see soon.

The 1080 might be a bit faster than that but I agree that the 1070 will probably match up with the 980Ti pretty well.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I think these are pretty accurate educated guesses given the leaked specs we have at this time, I guess we will see soon.

The 1080 might be a bit faster than that but I agree that the 1070 will probably match up with the 980Ti pretty well.
That was the kind of performance jump we saw from Kepler to Maxwell. I don't think we know what to expect with this new architecture, but there is no doubt in my mind that the "1070" or equivalent will match up pretty well to the 980 Ti.

How much RAM do we think the 970 replacement will have? Best educated guess?

I'm not spending more on a graphics card than the 970 pricepoint.

I'd be all over the 1080 if it were 20%+ faster than the 980 Ti. I'm more interested in offing this card before its resale value tanks, I don't think waiting for the "1080 Ti" is a good option for my wallet.
Used 980 Ti's are still hitting the $550-$600 mark on Ebay.

Keeping a close eye on GTC next week and all upcoming rumors. JHH is giving a keynote on Tuesday morning.

And that's not even mentioning Polaris... AMD needs to speed things up.

Surplus of GM200's, they're still producing the smaller chips. That would mean we're still months away unless they're rolling out a GM200 replacement very soon which would be GREAT.

Inventory for nV as of last quarter remained flat during quarters when they are not selling well inventory tends to go up much higher than what they are at last quarter. Since we didn't see a spike, they don't have more than 60 days of inventory.

Smaller chips will still be in production as the rest of the line up is rolled out and as they do those chips will also be stopped for production.

I usually put my old card in my second system, never really sold cards before, but if ya want to, check the forum for selling and buying here, theres plenty of people here that probably would like to buy.

I expect GP100 to be out for around 2 or 3 months after the GP 104

But the release of the GP104, gtx 970 and up all will not be produced anymore.

Couple days wait, I'm really hoping they launch GP100 geforce parts soon, but seems like wishful thinking.

Question is now whether to sell 980Ti now and buy gp104, or wait for GP100 : (

I've never bought/sold a gpu this quickly, only had the damn thing since september
Same here, got mine around August.
I didnt expect a ti replacement soon and still dont tbh.
I wont get rid of it for anything less, even if the new 970 is faster.

I usually put my old card in my second system, never really sold cards before, but if ya want to, check the forum for selling and buying here, theres plenty of people here that probably would like to buy.

I expect GP100 to be out for around 2 or 3 months after the GP 104

But the release of the GP104, gtx 970 and up all will not be produced anymore.

I live in Europe, imagine most here are from US, worth a shot. Yeah I'd put it in my old rig too if I didn't have a still-smoking hole in my wallet :p

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they launch gp100 at gtc this week; Tesla cards galore, due for an upgrade, and it would be consistent with a little 'insider info' I have from some metereological computing labs.

New Ti early 2017?

might come earlier than that, I would think if GP 104 is released next month, GP100 class chips Junish?

Couple days wait, I'm really hoping they launch GP100 geforce parts soon, but seems like wishful thinking.

Question is now whether to sell 980Ti now and buy gp104, or wait for GP100 : (

I've never bought/sold a gpu this quickly, only had the damn thing since september

You're a couple of weeks late to sell a 980ti. If that's your goal I'd hurry because the announcement should be next week and value plummets after that. Or just enjoy the card you have. I bought my card in October and sold it a few weeks ago, but that's what happens if you fear being too far behind in the video card game.

You're a couple of weeks late to sell a 980ti. If that's your goal I'd hurry because the announcement should be next week and value plummets after that. Or just enjoy the card you have. I bought my card in October and sold it a few weeks ago, but that's what happens if you fear being too far behind in the video card game.

I can't just sell it without knowing what gp104 brings, dont even know what's being launched first!

We might be looking at a $300-$400 Pascal replacement for the 980 Ti. If that's the case, even though it's a sidegrade I will probably off mine ASAP, buy the "GTX 1070" and profit $100-$200 for my next upgrade. Win-win.

I may just sell the card and sit on my cash for a few weeks until we get more info from AMD.

We might be looking at a $300-$400 Pascal replacement for the 980 Ti. If that's the case, even though it's a sidegrade I will probably off mine ASAP, buy the "GTX 1070" and profit $100-$200 for my next upgrade. Win-win.

I may just sell the card and sit on my cash for a few weeks until we get more info from AMD.
That would be amazing, it also sounds too good to be true :p transistor cost has gone up this time

All types of 980tis selling for 450-530 on Reddit. It's so hard to not pull the trigger! Just a few more days...

All types of 980tis selling for 450-530 on Reddit. It's so hard to not pull the trigger! Just a few more days...

Selling for a lot more here in Italy. Chepeast used 980ti I've seen is 500 euros, and it's the reference version

Edit: Put mine up for sale for 560 euros, if I get a buyer I'm seriously going to consider selling .

If I do sell, I'm going to come back to this thread and bitch and whine at whoever suggested i sell ;)

Last edited:

I guarantee if "1070" matches 980 Ti performance and has more vram it won't go for $300 or even $400. Minimum starting price would be $450.

Now before you say "but 970!", two things:

1. Segmented vram config actually helped to cut down costs (don't have to bin the chips as high)
2. Very mature 28nm process, so lithography cost savings have been completely reaped

Then add to the fact that 14/16nm's cost per transistor actually goes up, and you're looking at the perfect storm for a price increase.

When is this card out?

Presumably Pascal is launching at GTC this week, though it remains to be seen when the first geforce parts will actually launch this week, all signs point to GP104 aka GTX 1070/1080 launching first, in June

So... I have a buyer interested in my card willing to pay 580 euros.... I'm very tempted to agree, going to delay my decision till GTC is over but damn... That's a lot money, 60 euros less than what I paid for it in October. On the other hand, I'm on a 570 until pascal launches

If they announce a x70 at $400 and it is equal to a 980ti then a used 980ti is worth maybe $350. Sell now around $550 and pocket $150 plus a new card.

Hmm, I just dropped $683 on a 980Ti Strix OC Gaming plus another $200 for an EK block and backplate. I sure hope this will beat anything they come out with until the ti replacement comes out... Guess I ought to sell my 970 reference asap...

If they announce a x70 at $400 and it is equal to a 980ti then a used 980ti is worth maybe $350. Sell now around $550 and pocket $150 plus a new card.
What if I sell today and he only announces a new line of Shield products on Tuesday?
There is time.

Going from planar to FinFET will increase cost, then going from 28nm to 14/16nm will also drive up cost because cost per transistor scaling no longer exists beyond 28nm. So don't hold your breath for a $400 "GTX 1070" unless performance isn't up to snuff.

Here, get a load of this:

Fig-1.png

If you're not sure what you're looking for, just compare the 28nm FD-SOI numbers with 16/14nm FinFET.

The sobering fact is, just recently (Q4 2015) 16/14nm FF wafers cost TWICE as much as 28nm, and that price gap is only going to increase as time goes on.

Last edited:
Back