Yes, it's set globally and the applications are told vsync is off. Then you magically get low-latency and no tearing, but dropped frames can mean a poor experience unless the game runs extremely fast anyway. It's basically meant for CS:GO players only.

It sounds like it requires excess frames to work properly, IE: on a 60 Hz monitor you'd need to run games at 120+ FPS for fast sync to benefit.
I think it's aimed at competitive gamers like LoL or CS:GO maybe.

I would assume that games that rely too heavily on VSync *cough*Fallout*cough* would have the usual problems with Fast Sync.

FYI, according to PCper FastSync will be available on Maxwell and possibly Kepler as well.

This along with Ansel to me makes the two most interesting features and you won't even need to get Pascal to use them.

Well, that's pretty useless for most

If you look at actual game player bases then the games that this would benefit, those low demanding more competition oriented games people don't want to run with vsync, are actually in the vast majority.

DOTA2's peak players on steam I think likely eclipse the aggregate total of all those demanding games hardware sites fawn over.

Well, that's pretty useless for most
Not really when most have a 60Hz monitor and the new generation of Pascal/Polaris (used for context rather than AMD using this) will hit above that more often than not.
Also applicable to those 30Hz 4k monitors.

Another potential for enthusiasts is that this can tie into G-Sync where it used to not be ideal when at the limit of the monitor, now consumers can also expect high quality say 100Hz or a bit less monitors rather than just 144Hz (that also benefit).
TBH I would prefer a better quality 90/100Hz monitor to a more compromised 144Hz one.

Cheers

Back