I know Brent can't tell us shit yet, but I hope tomorrow we get more details about the 1070.

Cuz there is no chance in hell I'm spending $600 on a Gxx04 part. My plan, unless AMD surprises the fuck out of me, 1070 >> Post Titan Big Pascal. I've got this feeling we're going to be on 16nm a LOOONG time. Maybe not as long as 28nm, but a while anyway...

Given the performance improvements across two 28nm generations with kepler and maxwell, we can definitely look forward to P2xx!

Anyone else going to wake up like it's Christmas morning to scour the web for benchmarks before work? I am going 'full-retard' over this release...

Anyone else going to wake up like it's Christmas morning to scour the web for benchmarks before work? I am going 'full-retard' over this release...
Absolutely. It'll be the thing that gets my day going.

I know Brent can't tell us shit yet, but I hope tomorrow we get more details about the 1070.

Cuz there is no chance in hell I'm spending $600 on a Gxx04 part. My plan, unless AMD surprises the fuck out of me, 1070 >> Post Titan Big Pascal. I've got this feeling we're going to be on 16nm a LOOONG time. Maybe not as long as 28nm, but a while anyway...

Brent did say WOW! Whether that is a Good WOW or Bad WOW, we will know tomorrow.

I'll feel that way when big Pascal makes a splash. This and the prior 980 release do nothing for me although I will say the 1070 does seem appealing if it truly delivers Titan X performance. If I was building a second PC, that would be the card to get. But honestly, nobody should be excited to pay $600 for what's essentially a midrange card. I think we've all gotten so used to paying $700-$1000 for the "big" die card that now a midrange card at $600-$700 seems like a good deal.

Oh and spotted this in the nvidia subreddit:

193657axyvrxs62xzzzv27_zpskh6ol7lk.jpg

Last edited:
Roughly how many hours until reviews are up. I would like to get some reading in before bed.

Roughly how many hours until reviews are up. I would like to get some reading in before bed.

The rumor is 6am PST. I'm pretty sure the NDA/embargo prevents legitimate sites from releasing when exactly the reviews go up.

I'll feel that way when big Pascal makes a splash. This and the prior 980 release do nothing for me although I will say the 1070 does seem appealing if it truly delivers Titan X performance. If I was building a second PC, that would be the card to get. But honestly, nobody should be excited to pay $600 for what's essentially a midrange card. I think we've all gotten so used to paying $700-$1000 for the "big" die card that now a midrange card at $600-$700 seems like a good deal.

This was NVidia's strategy all along when they first released their Titan brand, then their "Ti" versions. They're marketing guys can blow smoke however they want, but they're effectively stringing out releasing their fully-enabled chips by broadening the version range so they can milk the chip. They wanted to get consumers used to paying higher prices, and looks like this is their game going forward. In absolute terms, when you buy 1080 today, yes, you are getting the fastest card on the market. But make no mistake, 1080 is cut-down card.

This was NVidia's strategy all along when they first released their Titan brand, then their "Ti" versions. They're marketing guys can blow smoke however they want, but they're effectively stringing out releasing their fully-enabled chips by broadening the version range so they can milk the chip. They wanted to get consumers used to paying higher prices, and looks like this is their game going forward. In absolute terms, when you buy 1080 today, yes, you are getting the fastest card on the market. But make no mistake, 1080 is cut-down card.

If Vega is a strong contender I will give it a very serious look this October.

Techsource has a 4 minute video up on Vessel with benchmarks!

I assume the card is running stock clocks.

Firestrike:
16,794 Regular score
9,317 Extreme score
5,032 Ultra score

Heaven:
155.7 1080 Ultra
36.6 4k Ultra

Metro Last Light (vey high):
150.7 avg fps (1080)
30 fps avg (4k)

GTA V (max settings, msaa 8x etc)
76.73 (1080)
24.47 (4k)

83 degrees under load.

Screenshots courtesy of some dude on Reddit.

For what it's worth, I averaged about 55 fps in the GTA V benchmark when I matched his settings with a Titan X at 1450mhz and a 4770k at 4.5Ghz. Color me skeptical.

Last edited:
I just signed up to tell you please include GTX 770 in your tests.

Also please include 3DMark 2008 ;)

Can't wait to see it, Brent. I expect the power usage comparison between this gen an Pascal is going to be really interesting.

Does he actually have a 1080? I feel like he just spitballed it.

155fps in Heaven is 60% faster than my OC'd 980 Ti.
His result in GTA V is about 40% faster than the above poster.

That would make his results 60-80% faster than a stock 980 Ti.

Back