If you are spending well over $500 on a video card and you find the use of the number 1080 confusing in any way, perhaps you shouldn't be using your dad's credit card without his permission.

hope the prices are reasonable!
So do I.
But I am still concerned with the rumour saying 3 cards are being released with the 400 model part being used as a 980ti, reason for my concern is that this rumour-news is still persisting and the only other cards mentioned coming out are 980 and 970.
In some ways the rumour does not ring true because the 400 model part has always been the standard 980 type of release.
But then without AMD competing in the upper tiers for quite awhile, they may just try this; fingers crossed the rumour-speculation is wrong and NVIDIA follows their usual model spec release as before with Maxwell 2 and Kepler.

What I am talking about can be seen with this site and how NVIDIA in these rumour-news has moved the GPx04-400-A1 possibly up a tier to be x80ti.
Rumor: NVIDIA plans three GP104 SKUs in June | VideoCardz.com

A bit annoying that AMD is delayed with their upper tier as it does enable NVIDIA to maximise their margins-pricing at release if they decide to sigh.
Cheers

I just thought of another thing that suggests the rumour is wrong about the GPx04-400-A1 being a replacement to the 980ti.
The rumours showing the photos of the casing are only for a replacement to the 970 and 980.
Of course that depends upon those being real leaked hardware photos.

So on the positive side it looks more likely the GPx04-400-A1 is for the 1080, which follows previous trends.
Cheers

I'm not sure why they would deviate from the 970/980/TitanX strategy before 980 TI release. Having a mega high end card (like TitanX) as the only competitor to itself would allow them to capitalize until the release of the TI-supercharged version some time later.

Initial release:
Mainstream - Medium (X70)
Mainstream - High (X80)
Mainstream - Crazy (XTitan)

Later release 6-12 months after initial to re-inject life into the line:
Mainstream - High on Steriods (X80 TI)

These rumors are being reposted as fact and then spread; I think we should be happy to see product in the next quarter and assess timing and specs when we know anything.

I think it will be like in last gen. First we will get equivalent of 970/980s released. Then, when AMD releases their cards in June/July, NVIDIA will assess the situation and see how to respond with price.

Then they either will provide us with 980 ti equivalent - faster and more expensive than competition, or in case Polaris turns to be turd, they will just cut the prices on 1080/70 to rain on AMD parade.

One thing is sure, if you need top end card, don't buy 980 equivalent at the release day. In less than two months same money will buy you better card or the card will be cheaper.

One thing is sure, if you need top end card, don't buy 980 equivalent at the release day. In less than two months same money will buy you better card or the card will be cheaper.
That's only possible if the 1080ti is a GP102 (cut-down GP100 with FP16 removed) with GDDR5; if it uses HBM2 it's much more likely we're looking at sometime in Q1 2017.

That's only possible if the 1080ti is a GP102 (cut-down GP100 with FP16 removed) with GDDR5; if it uses HBM2 it's much more likely we're looking at sometime in Q1 2017.

I believe Gp102 will be Titan

I believe Gp102 will be Titan

Well the trend in the past is that the x80ti and Titan are from the same die.
A further differentiation this time beyond memory capacity is that maybe the Titan could be HBM2 and x80ti is GDDR5x (depends how well it works with 980 model in real world and with games).

Question is; what are NVIDIA going to do with the GP100 silicon that does not meet the cut for the P100 but are still viable if reduced some more.
However worth noting the x80ti is usually released after a Titan model, and I doubt we are going to see a Titan model anytime soon *shrug*.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yep, GP102 will most likely be both titan and the 1080ti, with the latter binned. And it will almost certainly be HBM2.

I'm pretty sure the recently announced Tesla product will be spun into a Titan card, but I'm not sure what Pascal chip that is running.

Geezus. I finally upgraded from an old intel q9450 to a new system, but carried over my gfx card (a glorious hd7850) from my old build to figure out what to do there, and this is what I've been dropped into. I've been waiting like 8 years just to say this...

I can't wait!!!

I think it will be like in last gen. First we will get equivalent of 970/980s released. Then, when AMD releases their cards in June/July, NVIDIA will assess the situation and see how to respond with price.

Then they either will provide us with 980 ti equivalent - faster and more expensive than competition, or in case Polaris turns to be turd, they will just cut the prices on 1080/70 to rain on AMD parade.

Sold off my 290's and have been gaming on my 970m -- its okay at 1440, but after all the waiting and rumors, and saving I have no problem jumping on the "regular" 1080 boat when it's released. Long as it's faster than a 980ti I'll be happy. Not worried about saving 50 bucks after all the waiting, even if they release a Ti version.... I can re-asses then if I want it or not. I'll be far more patient if I already have a 1080 in my gaming rig :)

Looks fairly short length wise if this picture is true.

51720_03_purported-geforce-gtx-1080-photos-tease-more-aggressive-look.jpg

One thing that's interesting if the leaked photos are true is that now the "premium" cooler is also on the x70 parts.

Though with the 10x0 the x is not engraved, so it is possible that it might go down to even more mainstream segments.

I wonder if there'll be any changes to the underlying heatsink. I'll be disappointed if it's only an aesthetics change to the shroud.

One thing that's interesting if the leaked photos are true is that now the "premium" cooler is also on the x70 parts.
Reference 970s had the 980/titan blower cooler too, but they were largely unavailable to consumers. One of the rumors indicated this launch would proceed the same way.

Reference 970s had the 980/titan blower cooler too, but they were largely unavailable to consumers. One of the rumors indicated this launch would proceed the same way.

The shroud looked the same, but the underlying heatsink wasn't the same AFAIK. Also the shroud on the 'vanilla' 970 was plastic as well IIRC.

The shroud looked the same, but the underlying heatsink wasn't the same AFAIK. Also the shroud on the 'vanilla' 970 was plastic as well IIRC.
Yeah, the 970 and 980 used a traditional heatpipe heatsink while the Titan X and 980 Ti used a vapor chamber. I know they still used a magnesium alloy on the Titan X, not sure about the 980 or 980 Ti though.

Yeah, the 970 and 980 used a traditional heatpipe heatsink while the Titan X and 980 Ti used a vapor chamber. I know they still used a magnesium alloy on the Titan X, not sure about the 980 or 980 Ti though.
Right, I know the 980ti was different internally, but I thought the 970 and 980 were identical. They certainly looked identical, anyway. Not that it mattered, because 970s with reference coolers were extremely difficult to find.

Right, I know the 980ti was different internally, but I thought the 970 and 980 were identical. They certainly looked identical, anyway. Not that it mattered, because 970s with reference coolers were extremely difficult to find.
Afaik reference 970s had limited availability from the start

There were a couple reference cards in the channel, just very difficult to find. A couple OEMs made blowers too of course, just not reference ones.

There were a couple reference cards in the channel, just very difficult to find. A couple OEMs made blowers too of course, just not reference ones.
It's the custom pcbs that count, reference cards aren't even ideal for watercooling

when is AMD going to beat nvidia again? Or are they still have environmental concerns at their chinese factories?

Still looking to see if Mantle is going to be the bomb

p.s. dont look at my sig

when is AMD going to beat nvidia again? Or are they still have environmental concerns at their chinese factories?

Still looking to see if Mantle is going to be the bomb

p.s. dont look at my sig

Ehhhh... AMD has the advantage on the midrange but Nvidia is superior on the low and high end as far as GPUs go.

1080 using GDDR5X is interesting. Seems like it really will outperform the 980Ti by a good percentage.

I guess it'll be priced at around $650, the original release price of the 980Ti. Such a shame.

1080 using GDDR5X is interesting. Seems like it really will outperform the 980Ti by a good percentage.

I guess it'll be priced at around $650, the original release price of the 980Ti. Such a shame.

Where did you see that the x80 will use GDDR5X?

That's right, best buy was the only reliable place for reference 970s... good memory there, blast from the past!

Unless I missed it, there's nothing substantiated about GDDR5x. I would be very surprised to see cards with GDDR5x in June/July.

These next 6 weeks will be a long and speculative debate, can't wait for some legit release press from Nvidia

yeah it has been really tempting to snag a 970 but at this point I am just going to wait. Hopefully we get a titan soon so I can upgrade

yeah it has been really tempting to snag a 970 but at this point I am just going to wait. Hopefully we get a titan soon so I can upgrade
I'm with you, I feel like I'm playing games with oldschool Duke Nukem graphics right now. I think the wait will be worth it for the improved 2560x1440 performance. With 4K and VR expanding, and that being a weak point of current cards, I'd be disappointed if the next gen didn't post some big improvement #'s

Yeah, we'll have to see if the GTX 1080 is 384-bit or if they pull off some other impressive memory compression trick to make 256-bit viable. This card is supposed to have > 980 Ti performance, and we already know how bandwidth-constrained that part was.

They already clocked the GDDR5 at near top speed of 7GHz on the old 980 (so they can't grow much there), so they have to go wider, massively increase cache size, or find more compression gains.

Or they pull off a minor miracle and have enough early GDDR5X parts shipping at 10Gbps. That would be enough of a performance increase (43%) to handle the extra throughput.

Last edited:
Back