Why 2x DisplayPort out and 1x HDMI? Why not 3x DisplayPort out and 1xHDMI?

Is the 1x HDMI the newest version?

Right, pricing. Will they stay at $329 or bump to $399 for the x70 part?

I think it'll definitely cost more than $329.

New architecture + node shrink seems a ripe opportunity for NV to go back to $399. Plus there's a lot of people that skipped Maxwell for Pascal, the hold-outs are probably chomping at the bit for a new GPU.

I think it'll definitely cost more than $329.

New architecture + node shrink seems a ripe opportunity for NV to go back to $399. Plus there's a lot of people that skipped Maxwell for Pascal, the hold-outs are probably chomping at the bit for a new GPU.

Market dominance does not lead to competitive prices. Expect to see price creep.

Market dominance does not lead to competitive prices. Expect to see price creep.

Probably so -- after selling my 290's and the load of overtime and such I'll be doing over the next few months, I have no problem forking over 550 or so to get my mitts on a 1080 (or x80 whatever they call it)

Rumour could be true (because that is two different sources now) but usually the comparable 980ti comes from the Titan die rather than the model below, however it is worth noting NVIDIA has said there will not be a consumer P100 die....
A logical more likely scenario is that the 980ti is being ceased from manufacturing due to the performance of the replacement 980, and some sources could be taking that to mean there is a new 1080ti as well.
I would say it is definitely one of those scenarios; 980ti being replaced with a new model or ceased due to the performance of the 1080 (whatever it is named), either way no more 980ti and only Titan X Maxwell manufacturered from previous gen.
Cheers

Well the Titan replacement that is coming next year doesn't have to have an equivalent cheaper cousin. The 980ti was only created to undermine the Fury X launch.

Well the Titan replacement that is coming next year doesn't have to have an equivalent cheaper cousin. The 980ti was only created to undermine the Fury X launch.
But for both Kepler and Maxwell top ti models come from the flagship Titan die, which is same die as used on the Tesla top GPU (this time round that would be the die used for the P100).
Cheers

Last edited:
But for both Kepler and Maxwell top ti models come from the flagship Titan die, which is same die as used on the Tesla top GPU (this time round that would be the die used for the P100).
Cheers

I expect any Ti/Titan card to be from the Pascal workstation GPU if they do what they have been doing over the last few generations. I have a feeling that we will not be seeing a Titan replacement despite what the rumors have been saying. Unless Nvidia Changes what they have been doing to keep the competition guessing. I would expect a 970/980 replacement.

1070 > 20% more performance than the 980Ti

1080 > 20% more performance than than the 1070

Pricing may be a bit aggressive but not as much as last gen. My guess/prediction 1070 ~ $419.99 and the 1080 ~ $569.99

Cheers

The way I see it VR has opened up Nvdia and AMD to a lesser extent to produce more expensive cards on the high end. VR headsets like the HTC Vive are $829. It wouldn't make sense for the top of the line video card in Nvidia's lineup to cost less the headset. Since when does the windshield cost more than the engine that propels the entire car? Say you had Titan X money and Nvidia told you that you can look at the blocky textures of VR games today for $549 or you can get this 24GB HBM2 monster for $1,600 that allows you to enable your old features like MSAA and whatever. You just dropped $829 on a headset. Isn't your video card that is pushing the textures to the thing worth at least double that?

What WCCFTECH is calling a 980ti replacement could very well be the high end of the low end video card lineup for Nvidia. I could see them doing a complete Proconsumer high end series launch next year based off higher spec cards if they wanted to. At least I expect to see a Titan VR Edition.

Completely agree. Plus it looks like AMD screwed up their early lead, and will launch after Nvidia.

Putting my nostradamus hat on, my guess is the X70 comes in at $399, then AMD launches a binned Polaris 10 (or 2-GPU polaris 11) card at equivalent performance and $349 a couple months later, then the X70 drops to $349 to match it.

The way I see it VR has opened up Nvdia and AMD to a lesser extent to produce more expensive cards on the high end. VR headsets like the HTC Vive are $829. It wouldn't make sense for the top of the line video card in Nvidia's lineup to cost less the headset. Since when does the windshield cost more than the engine that propels the entire car? Say you had Titan X money and Nvidia told you that you can look at the blocky textures of VR games today for $549 or you can get this 24GB HBM2 monster for $1,600 that allows you to enable your old features like MSAA and whatever. You just dropped $829 on a headset. Isn't your video card that is pushing the textures to the thing worth at least double that?

What WCCFTECH is calling a 980ti replacement could very well be the high end of the low end video card lineup for Nvidia. I could see them doing a complete Proconsumer high end series launch next year based off higher spec cards if they wanted to. At least I expect to see a Titan VR Edition.

SSSHHHH!!!!! (don't let them hear you...) :D

GTX 1070 3DM 11 Perf 图形分 27271 - 顶级图形卡 - Chiphell - 分享与交流用户体验的最佳平台

3dmark 11 score gtx 1070 rumor

223418yhjw5her54rhjhh3.jpg

Getting interesting. Maybe something will release that I feel is worthwhile to upgrade from my 980 Ti.

Is the recent sale of 980ti cards indicative of anything? Are they perhaps trying to clear out inventory.

Remember a few months ago when there was a feverish sale on 970's? They were dipping to the $250 range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the recent sale of 980ti cards indicative of anything? Are they perhaps trying to clear out inventory.

Remember a few months ago when there was a feverish sale on 970's? They were dipping to the $250 range.

Couple of articles say that they stopped shipping those chips and are full on into the new stuff. Nobody will want a GTX 970 when there is a new card available. Not even for discounted SLi.

Couple of articles say that they stopped shipping those chips and are full on into the new stuff. Nobody will want a GTX 970 when there is a new card available. Not even for discounted SLi.

Probably not. Just like how not many people want the standard 980. I would bet that not many standard 980's are left.

A fire sale of 980ti video cards seems to be brewing. Nearly every manufacturer has been represented outside of ASUS from what I've seen. But I don't think that there card was ever very popular because of the poor cooling solution. And most people buying that level of video card research to the hilt. I don't know if it was ever fixed, but I know on the 390's their cooling solution was a problem and it seemed that a lot of people recommended steering away from ASUS cards due to that. Maybe that's still an issue.

What is interesting is that so far I haven't seen a fire sale on AMD cards. Come to think of it, I haven't even seen one on sale recently. Let's hope this isn't another improvement of the Hawaii. I think that they made some ground with the 390. They should have released it like that to begin with. I know they had some manufacturing improvements, but 8gb standard would have gone a long way with the 3.5gb 970 fiasco.

Speaking of! I wonder what will happen with that? Will we get a 5.5gb 1070?

That is what some rumours/news reporting is suggesting that 970,980,and 980ti are being ceased, which could mean there is a replacement to 980ti or that the 1080 has enough performance to mean the 980ti will be redundant (and later on we will see a 1080ti type card).
Other news suggest there will also be a replacement to 980ti at time of the 1080, but they could be taking the news of the 980ti being ceased too far, I guess we will find out soon enough.
They are keeping the Titan X according to those sources, but then it has other aspects that differentiate it from 980ti such as much more GDDR5 memory.
Cheers

The chiphell leak was confirmed fake if you google the 3dmark11 result URL.

Yeah I am not going to look at any "leaked" benchmarks, they were all FUBAR when it came to the FuryX and 980ti and did not reflect either card in the real world.
Cheers

I think that like CPU's, GPU manufacturers will continue to diversify and segment their customers.

Much like how both NVIDIA and AMD have their respective Workstation brands, I think that both manufacturers will attempt to segment the market and forcefully define differentiation of their products. It puts up a wall. If you want that, you're going to need this. If you need this, you're going to want that. If you need both... well you're hosed. You're going to need to buy both.

I think that a lot of video game developers are using cards like the Titan X for development, and the 980 / 90 for testing. They're using consumer grade cards for business purposes because they're better aimed at what they're trying to accomplish.

This has two effects. NVIDIA and AMD are both missing out on capitalizing a big market. And secondly, it hampers game development. Code that is not optimized has to run on something. They at least need to start with the Titan X and work down to having acceptable 1080p performance at "high" settings on a mid-range card. That isn't much of a gap. It doesn't give them much to work with and improve on.

Splitting the markets up would be beneficial for all parties involved; the manufacturers of video cards, the game development studios and consumers. Video card manufacturers make more money. Studios make more money. Consumers save more money and thus spend more money.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have no real info, but I did notice that Mass Drop is selling a 980ti card (no idea how good it is compared to others) for 550 (give or take). Makes me think they want to clear things out, but Cagey knows way more than this GTX 960 owner ;)

If the 1070, 1080, and 1080Ti are all coming in June, then the product stack is sliding again?

1070 -> 960Ti class
1080 -> 970 class
1080Ti -> 980 class

I dont think theyre on sale anymore, at least not at any decent price. I was just looking at them this evening and theyre still $600+ at least on Newegg. Hover Hound didn't find anything cheaper either.

Thought I might pick up a 980 Ti if they got down close to $500 but I aint seen anything like that at all.

They will only drop as low as profit margins allow, depends on how much Newegg buys them for. I've talked to their reps before about price-matching and coupons and they flatout tell you they will never go below a certain price on specific items.

If you want super cheap cards then you have to go to the Used market. Retailers have a "price floor", random Joe's don't.

I've noticed up here in Canada on most sites almost all 980ti skus are on sale right now... Even if it's only 50$ off, they're literally all on sale. They very well might have started the ball rolling.

There have been a few nice 980ti's floating around the hardforum FS/FT section here the past week or two. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a new, and then on a used one. $500 flat was the best deal I saw for a quality card from a good seller. I'd love to get my hands on one now but feel my $500-600 will be better applied to a 1080 card here in about 90 days.

My main goal is something with 20% more performance than the current 980ti If they release the Ti flavor at the same time I'll probably go with it, knowing I won't be upgrading for 2 or 3 years. If they only release the standard 1080 pascal... I'll be just has happy to throw my money on that as well.

Good chance the 1070 will be GDDR5 and the 1080 will be GDDR5x

nVIDIA GTX1080配GDDR5X显存 / GTX1070配GDDR5显存 ( GP104核心 )要来了 - 顶级图形卡 - Chiphell - 分享与交流用户体验的最佳平台

Looks like there was only one re spin of a mask layer.

So anycase, I'm postulating, the 1070 will be around the 980ti performance maybe a little bit faster, and the 1080 will be 20% or so faster.

translated

Google Translate

I kinda agree with you. Not on the pricing, though, since I believe that the TI-like performance card will cost $150 less.

Current rumours state that the GP104 will be a ~300mm^2 part. Can such a small chip beat handily (+30%) the GM200? Doubt it. Yes, the x80 should beat the 980TI... but that's it. It also makes sense that they discontinue the 980 TI in favour of a cheaper chip.

Still pretty damn good performance for $350. Can't wait.

I doubt that we will see sub-$400. Fin fet wafers are terribly expensive for the moment. A $300 card featuring 300mm^2 of Fin fet technology would be a bargain. Nah, I believe they will start at $400.

I expect any Ti/Titan card to be from the Pascal workstation GPU if they do what they have been doing over the last few generations. I have a feeling that we will not be seeing a Titan replacement despite what the rumors have been saying. Unless Nvidia Changes what they have been doing to keep the competition guessing. I would expect a 970/980 replacement.

1070 > 20% more performance than the 980Ti

1080 > 20% more performance than than the 1070

Pricing may be a bit aggressive but not as much as last gen. My guess/prediction 1070 ~ $419.99 and the 1080 ~ $569.99

I highly doubt that we will see such performance increase. This would mean a 40% discount on the 980 TI... since you will get the same performance for sub-$400. Nah, makes no sense.

If they wanted to? The more expensive a node becomes, they less different chips they can produce. Its simple economics.

Completely agree. Plus it looks like AMD screwed up their early lead, and will launch after Nvidia.

Putting my nostradamus hat on, my guess is the X70 comes in at $399, then AMD launches a binned Polaris 10 (or 2-GPU polaris 11) card at equivalent performance and $349 a couple months later, then the X70 drops to $349 to match it.

$400 is also my bet for X70 part with performance ~ 980 TI.

Getting interesting. Maybe something will release that I feel is worthwhile to upgrade from my 980 Ti.

Doubtful.

Well it shouldn't matter, looks like Polaris 10 is in a different bracket entirely to GP104...... Polaris 11 might be able to compete with GP 104, although with its die size and what they have shown so far and talking only about perf/watt. I think only the two lower end ones.

So AMD might be able to scoop up a good deal of OEM deals.

Back