NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition Review @ [H]

Crap are you guys sure it's 10.75" long? I think I screwed myself selling my 980ti.

It still has negative scaling in DX12. What the hell, Nvidia. It's a shame too, the Fast Sync feature almost had me sold.

well... overclocking performance was obviously exaggerated by nvidia, guru3d got it to 2054 ( max boost clock, so it throttled lower sometimes) at 83c load

so much for 2100+ @ 67c lol

It still has negative scaling in DX12. What the hell, Nvidia. It's a shame too, the Fast Sync feature almost had me sold.

the dx12 implementation is slightly slower, the only reason you see positive scaling for AMD is because dx11 performance sucks ass

Crap are you guys sure it's 10.75" long? I think I screwed myself selling my 980ti.

The board length is just past 10.5", more like 10.65", but I measured to the edge of the pointy end of the heatsink shroud, which puts it right under the mark of 10.75". If size is an issue, I might suggest waiting for custom video cards with custom coolers, it is possible they won't be as "pointy" toward the end and might be within the size you need. But yes, the board length (minus the shroud) is right at about 10.65", it is definitely past 10.5" so be safe and give yourself some extra measuring space.

well... overclocking performance was obviously exaggerated by nvidia, guru3d got it to 2054 ( max boost clock, so it throttled lower sometimes) at 83c load

so much for 2100+ @ 67c lol

the dx12 implementation is slightly slower, the only reason you see positive scaling for AMD is because dx11 performance sucks ass

I called it on that 2.14GHz overclock only being stable due to the frame rate being capped at 61fps in that demo... The GPU was probably only at 60% usage...

The board length is just past 10.5", more like 10.65", but I measured to the edge of the pointy end of the heatsink shroud, which puts it right under the mark of 10.75". If size is an issue, I might suggest waiting for custom video cards with custom coolers, it is possible they won't be as "pointy" toward the end and might be within the size you need. But yes, the board length (minus the shroud) is right at about 10.65", it is definitely past 10.5" so be safe and give yourself some extra measuring space.

Hmm I wonder what the standard is. My sg13 was pretty tight with the MSI 980ti gaming 6g, like almost to the edge (extending into the front plastic panel past the metal frame). That had a stated length of 10.59"

I think the poor DX12 performance is more to do with the application. In terms of Tomb Raider, its slower on AMD and NVIDIA in DX12. Hitman freezes on me. In AoTS I think the game has been so heavily optimized for AMD, and not NVIDIA's architecture. That is my theory. We need more real DX12 games built from the ground up to determine DX12 performance. I think Deus Ex Mankind Divided may be one of those games, it'll be out in August, looking forward to it.

Am I mistaken in thinking DX11 performance for the Fury X is better than it was a few months ago? The gap between it and the 980Ti seems smaller than it use to be.

Any thoughts on noise levels coming from the Founders Edition reference cooler at full load? Can we expect a loud card if we go reference?

Any thoughts on noise levels coming from the Founders Edition reference cooler at full load? Can we expect a loud card if we go reference?

It is quiet, I didn't notice the fan at all while gaming. It runs at 55% while gaming, the GTX 980 Ti runs at 50%, so about the same noise level.

But, it's not mid range. You don't pay $699 for a mid range card, this is a high end card. The 1080Ti will be ultra high end.

Depends on personal definition, I consider 980 and 970 to be mid-ranged (IE cards you'd use as a baseline for seamless gaming), 980ti etc to be high end (when you want to buy something powerful, yet don't want to throw money away), and Titans to be Enthusiast (when your diminishing returns hit harder than a truck)

960 and 950 (stuff you buy when you don't can't afford a x70) are low end, anything less than x50 I just call them Display output cards (calling them GPU's would be like calling calculators CPU's).

Migrating from 28nm to 16nm FinFET is not a simple copy and paste operation. As NVIDIA’s SVP of GPU Engineering, Jonah Alben, stated at the editor’s day earlier this month, “some fixes that helped with 28nm node integration might actually degrade and hurt performance or scaling at 16nm.” NVIDIA’s team of engineers and silicon designers worked for years to dissect and perfect each and every path through the GPU in an attempt to improve clock speed. Alben told us that when Pascal engineering began optimization, the Boost clock was in the 1325 MHz range, limited by the slowest critical path through the architecture. With a lot of work, NVIDIA increased the speed of the slowest path to enable the 1733 Boost clock rating they have on the GTX 1080 today.

Optimizing to this degree allows NVIDIA to increase clock speeds, increase CUDA core counts and increase efficiency on GP104 (when compared to GM204) all while moving the die size from 398 mm2 to 314 mm2.

The GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Review - GP104 Brings Pascal to Gamers | PC Perspective

Time to tell all those people claiming Polaris should match Pascal for clocks simply because it's the same node that they were indeed wrong ;)

So bottom line, should I sell my 980 ti and go for the 1080 if I game at 1440p? I feel that while there is a performance gain, it doesn't justify the upgrade just yet. Maybe wait for 1080 ti? :)

LE: wait = yet* long day ..

Last edited:
So bottom line, should I sell my 980 ti and go for the 1080 if I game at 1440p? I feel that while there is a performance gain, it doesn't justify the upgrade just wait. Maybe wait for 1080 ti? :)

For what looks like a 30% boost, I would wait. Used 980 Ti prices have already plummeted.

So bottom line, should I sell my 980 ti and go for the 1080 if I game at 1440p? I feel that while there is a performance gain, it doesn't justify the upgrade just wait. Maybe wait for 1080 ti? :)

The article states they saw 20-30% increases across the board at 1440p. Seems like a worthy upgrade to me, although I suppose much depends on what the resale value of the 980 Ti will be by June...

I'm thinking that I should wait till there is actually 1080 stock, then check the 980ti prices, and maybe just run SLI.

For those of us with more limited budgets, what's the timing on the 1060/1050 cards? If nVidia stick with the "25% faster, 20% less power consumption" of the 1080, those lower-end cards could be pretty sweet...

Tell me when real benches are coming, there's no stock Maxwell cards on the market, show me how the 1080 pits against an OCed 970 & 980Ti like most reviews like to do when benching AMD cards.

Tell me when real benches are coming, there's no stock Maxwell cards on the market, show me how the 1080 pits against an OCed 970 & 980Ti like most reviews like to do when benching AMD cards.
Yes OC results have been extremely underwhelming so far. The reference blower continues to be a disappointment, despite the vapor chamber + low TDP.
I wouldn't go anywhere near that thing unless you have water blocks coming.

AoTS still does NOT have the full DX12 async compute render path enabled for NVIDIA, so it would still suffer performance like the 980 did.

I think quite a few sits will do AoTS, but context needs to be it is not fully enabled for a NVIDIA card; Ielda did some testing on the latest release of AoTS and different drivers (including the NVIDIA one meant to be supporting natively on how to handle async compute) to test this for us.
Cheers

Bummer that you didn't get to an overclocking comparison-- in particular versus a 980ti at 1500Mhz.

Also a bummer that they only gave you one card. I guess all those people saying everybody got two 1080s were full of crap.

Beyond that, now that reviews are out, I see no reason to get the founders edition. You even say in two spots throughout the article that it appears to be limited thermally.

The article states they saw 20-30% increases across the board at 1440p. Seems like a worthy upgrade to me, although I suppose much depends on what the resale value of the 980 Ti will be by June...

Indeed, but I'm not a professional gamer so a jump from 50 to 60 or 70 might not justify the upgrade, especially if the resale value of the 980 ti will be too low.

Great write up Brent! Really solid performance at 1080/1440. After reading a few other reviews, I'm super interested in seeing some overclocked vs overclocked results soon! It seems like the 1080 may start losing a little bit of it's advantage when measuring OC vs OC frame rates against the Titan X/980 Ti as it looks like the (founder's edition) 1080 is running near it's power/temp limit.

Personally... I'm waiting for either the new Titan/Ti model (or a second Titan X if the price drops enough). I purchased a GPU right on the cusp of the performance I was looking for for 1440 last generation and it left me wanting.

Last edited:
Looks like a solid card. Something I might end up picking up on the 27th.

So bottom line, should I sell my 980 ti and go for the 1080 if I game at 1440p? I feel that while there is a performance gain, it doesn't justify the upgrade just yet. Maybe wait for 1080 ti? :)

LE: wait = yet* long day ..

It takes me around 100% increase to really notice a difference.

You're not really going to notice 50 vs 60 fps, or one item turned to high instead of ultra. BUT if you're a hard core gamer and that's all you do, it's a "cheap" hobby to upgrade yearly. I'd at least wait for the 1080ti personally.

For what looks like a 30% boost, I would wait. Used 980 Ti prices have already plummeted.

Getting every single generation tends to be a lot of extra spend for fairly minor gain. Unless some new titles come out making use of new features in a way that widens the gap I'd suggest waiting for the 1080 Ti or 1180. It's a solid upgrade from a vanilla 980; but unless you absolutely need to have the fastest card available it's probably not worth it. (And if you were in that camp, you'd already have decided to buy two of them to replace your SLI Titans.)

30% gain versus a reference 980ti. AIB 980tis overclock like mad, and 1500Mhz is not uncommon.

Of course the 1080 will overclock too, but from the [H] review, looks like we need AIB cooling for that-- his reference 1080 hit 80C at normal boost clocks.

I will probably be picking one of these up later in the summer. It's a monstrous upgrade from my 780.

I just want to see what the price to performance of the 1070 is like and/or what AMD has on offer

30% gain versus a reference 980ti. AIB 980tis overclock like mad, and 1500Mhz is not uncommon.

Of course the 1080 will overclock too, but from the [H] review, looks like we need AIB cooling for that-- his reference 1080 hit 80C at normal boost clocks.

I guess it's all subjective but for me 30% isn't enough to warrant an upgrade.

I'm already questioning how they hit 2100Mhz at 67C in that doom demo...

So for those who have 980 Tis, is this worth considering an upgrade?

Back