NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Overclocking Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Overclockers Club has posted the results of their NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 overclocking testing. For comparison purposes, you can see our preview here.

The best possible core clock speed/memory speed I was able to wring from this GPU was a solid 2050MHz to 2063MHz under load at the maximum reported temperatures. If I could keep the core temperature another 10 °C cooler, the card will run at 2126MHz all day long. Overclocking would not be used if it did not have an added benefit. With stock speeds on the GTX 1070 Founders Edition offering GTX Titan X performance for a fraction of the cost, you can do even better than Titan X performance in many games.

All I can say is WOW! Cant wait to see what these can do on water. I just hope I can find one for $379 around July ;) Not likely but i cam dream.

All I can say is WOW! Cant wait to see what these can do on water. I just hope I can find one for $379 around July ;) Not likely but i cam dream.

It may be available for that price with the cheap cooler which you would be removing anyway. Use a giant radiator and set your PC in front of a window A/C unit and you might get a great overclock.

Yeah I'm gonna have me one or two of these bad boys. They are looking awesome

Man the 1070 AIB partner cards are gonna be hard to find come release day. I'll be trying to score one myself.

Still trying to decide on x2 1070s or x1 1080. I haven't done dual video cards since the HD6870 days and I had not so stellar results.

Still trying to decide on x2 1070s or x1 1080. I haven't done dual video cards since the HD6870 days and I had not so stellar results.

Nvidia scaling and stability is much better than AMD/ATI has ever been. I used dual GT8800's, GTX 260 216's, 460's, and 970's and they all worked great. I did a pair of 4870's and it was a nightmare. I also notice microstutter, but when pushing enough frames it was fine. With all the previous setups I may have been struggling with memory capacity, but like the 8gb of Samsung on the 1070 (and the gddr5x on the 1080 more). I'm starting to think two 1070's on a loop and max overclock could be pretty nice. Might need to replace my 980ti, but will wait until the hype dies down towards the end of the year and see what options are out there from the AIB.

Based on what we've seen from early 1080 testing, custom boards won't help much. ~2050 MHz seems to be a 'soft' cap on GP104 overclocking... Some voltage issues, maybe? Not totally aware of all the details.
Kinda disappointing tbh, was expecting the 1070 to maybe pull at least 10% more than the 980 Ti... Still a great card at $400 though.

If Polaris overclocks like a beast, they'll have a chance to shrink the gap.

Nvidia scaling and stability is much better than AMD/ATI has ever been. I used dual GT8800's, GTX 260 216's, 460's, and 970's and they all worked great. I did a pair of 4870's and it was a nightmare. I also notice microstutter, but when pushing enough frames it was fine. With all the previous setups I may have been struggling with memory capacity, but like the 8gb of Samsung on the 1070 (and the gddr5x on the 1080 more). I'm starting to think two 1070's on a loop and max overclock could be pretty nice. Might need to replace my 980ti, but will wait until the hype dies down towards the end of the year and see what options are out there from the AIB.

Maybe that was true *7* years ago when you were using 4870s, but this hasn't been true for a long time now. AMD largely left the microstutter issues behind with the release of the 290, and between the two, the scaling has been pretty even across the board between both vendors. The real answer here is if you really want a one card solution, wait for the 1080ti to emerge. There has never been an nVidia product launch where it made sense, fiscally or performance based, to weigh two x70 cards against a single vanilla x80. The single x80 doesn't ever come out ahead.

If money was no object and you didn't mind SLI, you already had 980TIs in SLI, so the neither purchase option makes sense. Only 1080's in SLI will give you a measurable difference. (but money was no object, so already have them, in hand or on order)
If money was no object and you wanted a single card solution, the you wouldn't even be considering the 1070 SLI, you'd just get your 1080, keep it for 6-9 months and get you TI when it comes out.
If money is a factor and you don't mind SLI, it's 1070's SLI, no brainer.
If money is a factor and you don't like SLI, then you wait for the single card flagship to arrive and ignore all the fluff impulse buy pressure floating around right now.

1070 OC'd looks like a beast. Will sell my 970 and pick one up when I upgrade my monitor from 1200p @ 60Hz... also curious to hear some reviews of 1070 OC performance with Rift/Vive.

Maybe that was true *7* years ago when you were using 4870s, but this hasn't been true for a long time now. AMD largely left the microstutter issues behind with the release of the 290, and between the two, the scaling has been pretty even across the board between both vendors. The real answer here is if you really want a one card solution, wait for the 1080ti to emerge. There has never been an nVidia product launch where it made sense, fiscally or performance based, to weigh two x70 cards against a single vanilla x80. The single x80 doesn't ever come out ahead.

If money was no object and you didn't mind SLI, you already had 980TIs in SLI, so the neither purchase option makes sense. Only 1080's in SLI will give you a measurable difference. (but money was no object, so already have them, in hand or on order)
If money was no object and you wanted a single card solution, the you wouldn't even be considering the 1070 SLI, you'd just get your 1080, keep it for 6-9 months and get you TI when it comes out.
If money is a factor and you don't mind SLI, it's 1070's SLI, no brainer.
If money is a factor and you don't like SLI, then you wait for the single card flagship to arrive and ignore all the fluff impulse buy pressure floating around right now.

In the past couple generations, I've done SLI midtier until the premium card was released (I didn't list the 770's on my SLI'ed setups). I've taken a bit of a hit, but usually can cover most of the costs from resale of the old gpu(s). I'll wait and see what happens with the AIB 1070's.

As for xfire - I actually last night had a fairly long conversation last night regarding nvlink and the p100 which is having lackluster scalability. That led to talking about xfire on the 480 8gb for ~$500... the gentlemen I was speaking with, who has had many different multicard setups in recent years, told me that xfire was complete garbage due to software until AMD started the Crimson drivers, but noted it still isn't great (but obviously neither is SLI). He said give it a little time, but xfire has come a lonnnng way from what I remember. So I'll retract my previous statement ;).

That board looks like a laptop board or something specialized. The ports are all over that thing and mounting holes dont match anything standard. Would be cool though if they did make a steam machine with it.

Back