NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Review @ [H]

No, 379 (450) is not an affordable price for everyone. I'm sure NVidia would love everyone to accept that as affordable. If there is one GPU that I hope will do that it would be 1060 with better/similar performance than 970/980 for less than 200/250.

To some -- you could make a top of the line GPU that was $179 and it still wouldn't be "affordable" to everyone. Like time, price and affordability are relativistic. It's bleeding edge tech at 16nm, it's going to command quite a premium for some time. I'm sure in time the 1060 will make an appearance, even then some people won't be able to "afford" it. If money issues are keeping people away from the 1000 series latest and greatest, there are tons of last gen solutions that would suit them great. Each day that goes by makes the odds of picking up a 970 or 980 for a song that much higher.

Because you will need a big brick shithouse power supply to keep those cards fed ($10 says 2 of those will suck at down at least 500 - 600 watts of power alone) and you will have to install another A/C to keep up with the heat that will be pouring out of your case. If you already have a good case and a beefy power supply then ok, you might be on to something (well, excluding the PITA that CxFire / SLI can be for other reasons) but if you don't, you would be just better off buying a top end single card solution.

+1 on the hassle that is Xfire/SLI.

I sold off my Xfire 290 setup to fund my monitor upgrade and put some aside for a single card Pascal solution. Odds are I'll be going with an EVGA 1070 Superclocked once they are in stock on Newegg. (not in any huge rush, I've waited this long, what's another 2 or 3 weeks)

When the planets lined up with the drivers and whatever game I was playing, it was a great fast smooth experience at 1440p, more often than not though there was always SOME issue that made gaming shitty on them. Not to mention it turned my computer room into a damn sauna from the heat and noise they threw out with the OEM blower design. Never again!

eVGA matched MSI at $419 for the baseline ACX, so same $40 premium. Sadly this is higher than I was expecting.
If they're both the same price, the MSI is easily the superior option. Not a good play eVGA.

Well pre-orders for the MSI Gaming starting at $449 on Amazon. What a rip-off lol.
It's as I said earlier this week, the new 980Ti(s) at $369-$409 are a nice value at the moment.

It's clear - now with both the 1070/1080 pricing, that not only is the MSRP shifted higher by $50, but the non-references are an additional premium on top of that. Heck the MSI 1080 is actually more than the FE. The MSI 1070 Gaming is priced *the same* as the FE.

Last edited:
Installed my 1070 FE earlier today. What a solid feeling card!

It's nice to no longer have SLI issues (Total War: Warhammer actually works right now), but it is a bit of a performance regression from my 970 G1 SLI setup. Probably because those cards ran at ~1300 mhz or higher in game.

Shoulda bought a 1080! Whoops.

Also, I'm benching a bit lower than expected, so going to do a clean install of Windows to rule that out.

Not to stir up shit, but...

Has anyone seen the 1070 use more than 7GB of memory? It's my understanding the RotTR, specifically, easily saturates a card's VRAM with Very High textures, using all of the 1080's 8GB. But I have yet to see any numbers where the 1070 is using more than 7168 MB (87.5% of 8GB :whistle:).

A thread up on the NVIDIA Dev Talk forum is showing the GTX 1070 only averaging around 190-200 GB/s in the first 5GB.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...ormance/gtx-1070-cuda-mem-performance-thread/

Thoughts?

Not to stir up shit, but...

Has anyone seen the 1070 use more than 7GB of memory? It's my understanding the RotTR, specifically, easily saturates a card's VRAM with Very High textures, using all of the 1080's 8GB. But I have yet to see any numbers where the 1070 is using more than 7168 MB (87.5% of 8GB :whistle:).

A thread up on the NVIDIA Dev Talk forum is showing the GTX 1070 only averaging around 190-200 GB/s in the first 5GB.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...ormance/gtx-1070-cuda-mem-performance-thread/

Thoughts?
Didn't Nvidia just have to pay people over the GTX970 3.5GB issue? If this is true, it'd be the same thing.

Back