NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Review @ [H]

Does anyone know of any reviews or tests done with GPU rendering with Octane or V-Ray? I've yet to find any so far.

Sorry gotta call BS on this I've run both SLI and Crossfire over the years and NEITHER one of them is perfect, not every game "AAA" or otherwise has multi-card support out of the box and there are plenty that never do.
What AAA game doesn't have it? Crysis3? Overwatch? Tomb Raider? GW2? Dead Space3 ? Witcher 3? Dragon Age: Inquisition? It may not be all, but it is likely 100% of the ones I actually play. I really can't consider a game that ignores SLI/CF a AAA PC Game ... likely you are considering console ports which I can't stand.

Because you will need a big brick shithouse power supply to keep those cards fed ($10 says 2 of those will suck at down at least 500 - 600 watts of power alone) and you will have to install another A/C to keep up with the heat that will be pouring out of your case. If you already have a good case and a beefy power supply then ok, you might be on to something (well, excluding the PITA that CxFire / SLI can be for other reasons) but if you don't, you would be just better off buying a top end single card solution.
The Polaris 10's have a single 6-pin input @ 150W each. EACH.

Excellent article. I particularly like the low power requirements. While I'm not in the market myself, this article will help me make recommendations. I would have liked to have seen results at 4K.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in... hopefully the AIBs don't keep us waiting too long, because I'm not paying FE tax.

970 will be hitting ebay or the bulletin board at work for $200

I wonder what will become of all the 980ti's that are still selling for $500+. You would think the price would come down to what a 1070 costs, right?

Sorry gotta call BS on this I've run both SLI and Crossfire over the years and NEITHER one of them is perfect, not every game "AAA" or otherwise has multi-card support out of the box and there are plenty that never do.

Some one else was claiming that "this is the year of multi card support" and I couldn't help but laugh and claim they will be eating those words.

Very nice performing card, the ones that are less than $400 most definitely lays waste to last generation cards (all of them). Plus it does have 8gb of ram which you will not have to worry about running out like you can on the Fiji line of cards. DX12 games I like to see more being evaluated, maybe just a DX12/Vu;lkan, status of at the moment type review. If Nvidia is tied with last generation AMD, what will next generation of AMD cards bring with DX12? Hard to say without real next generation cards from AMD.

I wonder what the availability of the 1070 FE and AIB versions will be like in the next 3 months? Any word if Nvidia has an adequate supply of these or will they be as scarce as the 1080's?

Damn...that power draw!

I'm seeing the observed power draws, and I am guessing the 1080 is about a 200W card and the 1070 is about a 150W card since the 980Ti is about a 250W card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much confirms my initial disposition that 1070 is roughly a 980ti in terms of performance at a 40~50% discount (having compared the figures for Fallout 4 1440p on the 1070 article and 1080 for the 980ti benches).

I don't think I will consider 1070 this time, however, 980ti didn't impress me enough over 970 SLI, so probably will wait for 1080ti/Vega, although I would have loved to consider 1070 SLI over 1080 if it wasn't for scaling

Am I missing something or is there already a benchmark out for Polaris 10? Not sure how people are saying that it's better for the price when we don't really know how it perform yet.

Great review as always.

No, you haven't missed anything yet, but overall specs for the card point at it being at least the equivalent of a 970/390. At $200, that is a better bang/buck than the 1070 at nearly twice the price. The folks who are pushing the "it's between the Fury and 980"...yeah, they might need to rein it in a bit. At that performance level, it would be NV charging 80% more for 30% better performance. I don't see the 480 coming out of the gate like that. The 1070 should be relatively safe.

However if the 480 does give 390 performance at $200, the 1060 better get here sooner rather than later. The 460 is already hands down better than the 750ti, so unless the 1060 gets here quick or the 480 flops, NV won't have a recommendable card below $370.

That's why it's good to have competition. Right now I'm deciding between 1070 and 1080 but it'll be better to wait for the non founder version and see what ATI come up with.

Am I missing something or is there already a benchmark out for Polaris 10? Not sure how people are saying that it's better for the price when we don't really know how it perform yet.

Great review as always.
Only what AMD claimed in their press conference , won't know for sure until the 29th.
BOi6yEq.jpg

As fast as a GTX 980 Ti on DX11 while being as fast as a Fury on DX12 apps, not bad for the price but nVidia's current DX12 performance leaves a lot to be desired.

As fast as a GTX 980 Ti on DX11 while being as fast as a Fury on DX12 apps, not bad for the price but nVidia's current DX12 performance leaves a lot to be desired.

DX12's performance generally leaves much to be desired as of the moment.

I like the performance this card offers for the price. At 1440p with g-sync I can't really justify myself to pay $200+ more for 1080. 1080 is a halo product for a moment, but it might be better just to get 1070 and see how things unfold with potential 1080 ti release later.

Last edited:
That will likely happen, we will test FE's sustainable consistent clock speed over time vs. a custom card clocked down to the same base clock (clock v clock) comparison.

Very cool. I know its a bit of work, but id like to see which AIB board offers the absolute best performance for the best value. I'm looking at it not at a clock speed per say for apples to apples, but more of a FE cost / Performance vs AIB cards cost / performance. Meaning if a FE costs 450, what kind of performance would I get from an AIB card that costs 450, or cheaper? As long as the clock speed is the same or faster as the FEs, I think we should see some really excellent options from AIBs guaranteed to be as fast if not faster then the FE, but at better value for the consumer. I hope I'm making sense, but I'm not looking to buy the fastest most expensive 1070, but a 1070 that performs as well if not better then the FE but at a cheaper price point. This would really hammer home your point about the early adopter tax.

Very cool. I know its a bit of work, but id like to see which AIB board offers the absolute best performance for the best value. I'm looking at it not at a clock speed per say for apples to apples, but more of a FE cost / Performance vs AIB cards cost / performance. Meaning if a FE costs 450, what kind of performance would I get from an AIB card that costs 450, or cheaper? As long as the clock speed is the same or faster as the FEs, I think we should see some really excellent options from AIBs guaranteed to be as fast if not faster then the FE, but at better value for the consumer. I hope I'm making sense, but I'm not looking to buy the fastest most expensive 1070, but a 1070 that performs as well if not better then the FE but at a cheaper price point. This would really hammer home your point about the early adopter tax.
I'm sure that in 3-6 months there will be several 'Round-Up' type articles comparing the AIB offering and awarding a best bang for your buck award. I'm also looking forward to this.

The 1070/1080 cards actual performance in real gaming (30 mins vs 2 min benchmark) will be important for them to measure as boost clocks won't be held the same depending on thermals/voltages

Only what AMD claimed in their press conference , won't know for sure until the 29th.
Very true, but we've seen tons of leaks. From those leaks we can have high confidence that the RX-480 will perform roughly equivalent to a 390/390x, or 970/980 if you're more comfortable with the green side.

Awesome review, definitely want to upgrade to one of these someday.

So, a 1070 for $449 or 2x Polaris 10's for $398 to $448 which are on par with the 1080? How is this a [H]ard choice?
Equal in dx12 ashes of singularity performance. With the latest update the Fury X had 45.5 fps compared to GTX 1080 49.7fps, so two RX480's would be a little faster than the Fury X. In dx11, the GTX 1070 is a little faster than the Fury X; so two RX480's should be about equal to the 1070 in dx11 performance and equal to the 1080 in dx12 (under ideal SLI/crossfire conditions). Last time I tried running multiple cards I was annoyed with microstutter, so I wouldn't do that again when the 1070 is an easier solution for the same price.

Last edited:
Very true, but we've seen tons of leaks. From those leaks we can have high confidence that the RX-480 will perform roughly equivalent to a 390/390x, or 970/980 if you're more comfortable with the green side.

Also, SLI or Crossfire never works as well as you imagine. In my opinion, it is far better to go with a single card solution that will work correctly in all games. This is especially true in the current age of early access, eternal beta, pre-release, etc. games. SLI tends to be the last feature enabled if at all.

You could probably only get those full SLI/Crossfire numbers in 60% of games. Would it be fair to average the frame rate out by multiplying by 0.6?

What AAA game doesn't have it? Crysis3? Overwatch? Tomb Raider? GW2? Dead Space3 ? Witcher 3? Dragon Age: Inquisition? It may not be all, but it is likely 100% of the ones I actually play. I really can't consider a game that ignores SLI/CF a AAA PC Game ... likely you are considering console ports which I can't stand.

The Polaris 10's have a single 6-pin input @ 150W each. EACH.

And even the GTX 1080 FE uses a single 6+2 or 8-pin each - the reason I have zero interest in multi-GPU is because my motherboard doesn't support it - and that is indeed on purpose.
GTX 1070 is friendlier on the wallet than GTX 1080; however, neither is all that taxing on the electric bill.

He said more affordable, which is correct. Obviously depending on your income, you might be eating kraft mac & cheese for dinner.

As a Canadian, it's always weird when I see people calling KD "Kraft Mac & cheese".

Oh, yeah, great review too. I especially liked the DX12 comparisons.

Any chance you guys would ever look at doing frame quality and timing analysis stuff, like Guru3D?

It's "Cheesey Pasta" in the UK (not a typo with the extra E). Bizarre, right? Why not keep the brand consistent?

Any chance you guys would ever look at doing frame quality and timing analysis stuff, like Guru3D?
They have no need.
They do a hands on gameplay + quality analysis.

Great review. I'm pretty convinced at this point that I'll be foregoing the Freesync support on my mg279q and going with a 1070. I was a bit concerned when I saw the 1070s specs: 256-bit, largely cut down chip -- but performance is performance.

If 480 performs how I think it will perform, I simply won't compromise that much on performance -- and I'm sure as hell not going back to multi-GPU if I can help it.

man i feel like an idiot, i bought this to complete my build in april , GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 900 Series - GV-N980XTREME C-4GD Gtx 980 Extreme gaming. Now I wonder what i should to 1070 or 1080

If you're still in your return window, return it. But I know not too many places offer over 30 days.

If not... keep it. You're pretty well off for power and you can wait until the 1080TI comes out. Or maybe at least until the AIB's get their act together with super overclocked 1080's or 1070's, and in a few or 6 months they might start throwing in games too. edit - prices will come down too, of course

I looked on Ebay and used GTX 980's (non TI) are getting 300-350. Not sure what you paid for it, but you may not want to take that kind of a hit right away.

Guru3d had a nice review of MSI's Gaming X 1070 which was taken down due to NDA confusion. But I had a chance to read it before that and my oh my, I'm impressed. Looks like a great card. It's just a 100 Mhz factory OC and boosts up to 1900-2000 out of the box with temperature hovering around 69-70 C under full load. They've managed to OC it to 9400 (!) on memory and past 2 GHz on core. Certainly a card I'm looking forward to get as I hope 1070 will be much more available due to GDDR5 and larger yields. it's a cutdown chip after all, so they should have plenty.

Rofl I read that review this morning (6-7am). Didn't realize it was taken down.
The memory OC, temps, and noise levels are all great.

I just wonder how it will be priced (considering the 1080 is sitting pretty at $719 on Newegg, MSRP is $599/$699 FE if you recall).
If MSI prices the 1070 Gaming X at $449, it's going to make many people pause, if the baseline eVGA ACX is available at say $389; $10 premium vs $70 premium.

Rofl I read that review this morning (6-7am). Didn't realize it was taken down.
The memory OC, temps, and noise levels are all great.

I just wonder how it will be priced (considering the 1080 is sitting pretty at $719 on Newegg, MSRP is $599/$699 FE if you recall).
If MSI prices the 1070 Gaming X at $449, it's going to make many people pause, if the baseline eVGA ACX is available at say $389; $10 premium vs $70 premium.

Yeah, msi price gouged their cards a bit this time. Maybe it's just for 1080 and 1070 will be ok in that regard, but we'll see soon. Judging by EVGA's pricing 1070 ACX 3.0 should be around 389. Gaming X and SC models are both just 100 MHz more for 1080 and 1070. So it's quite ridiculous that EVGA asks for $30 more for this pathetic OC and msi is asking even more probably. \

Hopefully 1070 will be much more available as I said in previous post. I can't wait to get my new gpu, but I dow't want to spend almost twice more for just 20% more performance at 1440p.

The 1070 starts at $379, so that's actually just a $10 premium.

The 1070 starts at $379, so that's actually just a $10 premium.

For ACX 3.0, which is reference pcb and clocks with custom cooler. SC costs $30 more above msrp ($649) and msi charges $719 for its Gaming X at the moment, but they are one 100 MHz above reference. Those are 1080 prices, but I think the price model will be the same for 1070 as well.

If you're still in your return window, return it. But I know not too many places offer over 30 days.

If not... keep it. You're pretty well off for power and you can wait until the 1080TI comes out. Or maybe at least until the AIB's get their act together with super overclocked 1080's or 1070's, and in a few or 6 months they might start throwing in games too. edit - prices will come down too, of course

I looked on Ebay and used GTX 980's (non TI) are getting 300-350. Not sure what you paid for it, but you may not want to take that kind of a hit right away.
Yeah I am outside the return window, but what I think I will do is sell this 980 in 6 months and then get the AIB 1070 or some variant. Kind of funny but I just sold my old GTX 770 for 150$ on ebay.
Thanks for the tips!

Yeah I am outside the return window, but what I think I will do is sell this 980 in 6 months and then get the AIB 1070 or some variant. Kind of funny but I just sold my old GTX 770 for 150$ on ebay.
Thanks for the tips!

What resolution are you using? I think that 980 ti will do you well at 1440p, especially if you overclock it. By the time there are a good number of games out that require better than a 980 ti at 1440p 1070 prices will have likely stabilised (or even dropped) and there will be many more card options.

The 1070 is a great card, but no need to go hog wild if you already have a 980 ti.

What resolution are you using? I think that 980 ti will do you well at 1440p, especially if you overclock it. By the time there are a good number of games out that require better than a 980 ti at 1440p 1070 prices will have likely stabilised (or even dropped) and there will be many more card options.

The 1070 is a great card, but no need to go hog wild if you already have a 980 ti.

Unfortunately it's not the Ti, it's "just" a 980. I'd be bummed out a bit too... in my case though I started selling off my old gear a couple months ago in anticipation of the new gear from both Nvidia and AMD coming soon. Been living with a 750 Ti, oddly I haven't missed my 780 Ti's as much as I thought I would and as a result I'm thinking I now I might just go with an RX480 to hold me over or just stick it out with the 750 Ti. Fact is it's almost summer, and I won't be gaming much till the fall anyway, plus I'm very curious to see what the "big" chips will do.

I'm seeing AIBs card selling for more than FD. I though this would happen.

I'm seeing AIBs card selling for more than FD. I though this would happen.
where you seeing this?
yeah of course there are more expensive versions. not all aib cards are reference based. they START at $379 and once they start "upgrading" the design they will get more expensive. same as the 1080s. not to mention they aren't even out/on shelf yet...

where you seeing this?
yeah of course there are more expensive versions. not all aib cards are reference based. they START at $379 and once they start "upgrading" the design they will get more expensive. same as the 1080s. not to mention they aren't even out/on shelf yet...

Sorry my mistake, I'm in Thailand and the shops are selling the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G.1 for more than the Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE but checking on newegg, it's suppose to be cheaper.

Sorry my mistake, I'm in Thailand and the shops are selling the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G.1 for more than the Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE but checking on newegg, it's suppose to be cheaper.
Don't feel bad - today is supposed to be Launch Day for the GTX 1070 - none of the four closest MicroCenters (Fairfax, Rockville, Towson, or St. David's) has any in stock, and atop that, MC is charging $50 over SRP (which they did NOT do with the GTX 1080 FE). Amazon - out of stock (regardless of AIB). While Best Buy isn't marking up over SRP, you can only order online (no in-store pickup); free shipping incurs an eleven-day lag time; fastest shipping still means you get it no earlier than Wednesday (three business days out). Newegg? Nada.

Back