NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Preview @ [H]

I like the part where the thread went from discussion about the glorious 1070 to marital counseling and personal finance at the drop of a hat. Mind your own business people.

And the guy saying man up and don't be a pussy to your wife is divorced. LoL.

1070 for me. Hurry up, AIB partners, I feel the need to flush $400 down the toilet. Well, $200 after I sell my 970.

I want a big 4K 50" TV/Monitor and a GTX 1080, but that's like 4 car payments so no big rush.

I get what your saying..

However, I play Fallout 4 @1920x1200 on my 7970 ultra settings. It is very playable but can but slowish at times.

I would Like to have better FPS on the same settings without losing the eyecandy.
I also understand you can have a "Great" gameplay without all the FPS..

Correct me thou, Is it not true? Having a Top Tier card is about Getting the Eyecandy AND the FPS?

That was exactly my point. Somehow that was lost in translation.

OH LAWDY! I'M GONNA HIT UP THE FS/FT THREAD IN BOUT A MONTH!!! :D

Seriously... I'll be probably jumping from a 660TI to a 980TI. I can't wait. I don't know what I'd do if I jumped to a 1080. I'd probably shit myself and leave a trail to the toilet.

I was waiting for a good used 980ti, but after this, I will probably get a 1070.
Pretty much my own motivation.

GTX980Ti (either used or refurbished) is what GTX1070 is competing against - right now, price is NOT an advantage for GTX980Ti (it would take a rather large price drop for that to happen - and this is against FE, let alone AIB offerings that will be cheaper than FE)
Worse, GTX1070 has a performance advantage over GTX980Ti, and especially in (of all things) non-SLI configurations; to add insult to injury, GTX1070 can do 4K in GPU quantities of just one - can GTX980Ti do so?

If you can do 4K, you can certainly do 1440p (remember, the latter is lower than the former) - how does GTX1070 compare to GTX980Ti @ 1440p (the tallest common resolution)? The [H] review answered that. The surprisingly-obvious conclusion - a single GTX1070 gives you ALL the arrows in your quiver that GTX980Ti would - plus extra - for less power and a lower price. (And that is at every resolution from 1080p up to 4K that your current display - or an upgrade to said display - is/would be capable of.)

Now if you HAVE a GTX980Ti, I wouldn't crossgrade to GTX1070; all THAT would do is force the conclusion that you pulled the trigger (on GTX980Ti) way too soon. However, if you haven't gone there yet (new, used, or refurbished) don't. Period. Unless you get a heck of a price deal, GTX1070 (either AIB or FE) will be a better deal - and especially if you don't have SLI in the plans.

Oh god, finally someone got my point.

No, he probably was wiser in being a man that won't become a wife's tool and thought things through before marrying.

4k TV is one thing, but even on my 50" samsung, when i connect it to PC - everything is so damn small. I can't imagine using a 4K monitor until scaling is fixed. BTW, read the sig before making assumptions. Many of us here show there what hw they use. And ultimately 1440p 114 Hz > 4k 60 Hz any time of the day.

Please notice that I was referring to PC displays mostly concerning 720p; where I was referring to TVs was the price angle for 720p. (While I have seen 720p TV displays, I've never owned one - let alone recommended one.)
Further, in another thread, I've pointed to a 4K G-Sync PC display that is available right now at a price that is not a wallet-breaker - the ACER XB280HK. (Yes, it has a $799 MSRP; however, at the top three resellers, it's not going for that - instead, it's selling for between $100USD and $200 below the MSRP. From cheapest to priciest, the three are Amazon, Walmart, and Newegg. 720p was an attempt at a value play; 1440p is the same thing. However, falling prices for 1080p (and now 4K) have made that value play pretty much moot - and that is just on the display end. 4K on PCs had the additional obstacle of GPU pricing to overcome - I get that. GTX1070 solved THAT issue rather neatly. The only reason I brought up TVs is because the only display that a lot of folks - even here at [H] - that supports 4K at all is a TV (due to price reasons - I get that, too; price has been, in fact, THE issue in the 4K PC display market; in fact, I had zero plans on moving until they fixed it). However, GTX1070 is not a halo GPU, and the ACER XB280HK is not a halo display; the ACER is, in fact, available right now; the GTX1070 will be available to purchase in six days. Basically, unless personal circumstances change for the worse rather dramatically, I'll be out of excuses before the end of the year for NOT moving to 4K - and this is from 1080p no less. If I had the money, I'd be out of excuses by the end of June - remember, the display is available right now; the lagging factor is the GPU.

If the cards ship Friday, when are we going to be able to pre order them on Newegg/amazon?

Please notice that I was referring to PC displays mostly concerning 720p; where I was referring to TVs was the price angle for 720p. (While I have seen 720p TV displays, I've never owned one - let alone recommended one.)
Further, in another thread, I've pointed to a 4K G-Sync PC display that is available right now at a price that is not a wallet-breaker - the ACER XB280HK. (Yes, it has a $799 MSRP; however, at the top three resellers, it's not going for that - instead, it's selling for between $100USD and $200 below the MSRP. From cheapest to priciest, the three are Amazon, Walmart, and Newegg. 720p was an attempt at a value play; 1440p is the same thing. However, falling prices for 1080p (and now 4K) have made that value play pretty much moot - and that is just on the display end. 4K on PCs had the additional obstacle of GPU pricing to overcome - I get that. GTX1070 solved THAT issue rather neatly. The only reason I brought up TVs is because the only display that a lot of folks - even here at [H] - that supports 4K at all is a TV (due to price reasons - I get that, too; price has been, in fact, THE issue in the 4K PC display market; in fact, I had zero plans on moving until they fixed it). However, GTX1070 is not a halo GPU, and the ACER XB280HK is not a halo display; the ACER is, in fact, available right now; the GTX1070 will be available to purchase in six days. Basically, unless personal circumstances change for the worse rather dramatically, I'll be out of excuses before the end of the year for NOT moving to 4K - and this is from 1080p no less. If I had the money, I'd be out of excuses by the end of June - remember, the display is available right now; the lagging factor is the GPU.
XB280HK is a TN panel so no thanks.

It's the better card compared to ti/tx but damn does the Tx look sexy. Hell even the Ti looks better. I really hate those Fe coolers.

XB280HK is a TN panel so no thanks.

Some folks don't like TN as a panel design - that's fine. However, my own CURRENT display is TN, and I have no objection to it on those grounds; it's also Acer - which is why the XB280HK is on the radar in the first place. In short, the two issues that a lot would have about that particular display do NOT apply to me; if anything, the reality of it supporting G-SYNC would actually mitigate them if I had them.

Not disputing your points - simply stating that neither matters to me at present.

I'm running an I7-5930k with three GTX980ti's in Nvidia Surround pushing five 30 inch monitors(8800x2560). Thinking about changing to three 1070's to bring the heat and powerdraw down while having the same performance. Should not lose too much money while trading the cards out.

When the 1080ti or Titan shows up I'm going to see if two those will be able too handle 8800x2560 and give me 60fps.
That should realy open up airflow in my case and lower temps even more.

I don't think they will but they would be your best bet other than a titan Pascal.

meh fluff piece ..
That Price Thing

If we look at the actual pricing though of $379-$449 the GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition..

Except of course there are no currently available $379 parts.. and most all 449 parts are Out of Stock/Preorder.
I miss the days of old when [H] actually called out companies for soft/paper launches and didn't kow-tow to the corporate overlords..

meh fluff piece ..

Except of course there are no currently available $379 parts.. and most all 449 parts are Out of Stock/Preorder.
I miss the days of old when [H] actually called out companies for soft/paper launches and didn't kow-tow to the corporate overlords..
Yeah they should write an article talking about how Nvidia screwed this launch up.. oh wait, they did. Well they didn't call out AMD for the Nano paper lau... oh wait, that happened as well. Well what about calling out Nvidia on the Founder's Edition pricing... oh yeah that happened as well.

I did consider that you were being sarcastic, but your first sentence doesn't fit with that theory. So I'm just taking it at face value.

Back