NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Preview @ [H]

That is because it is not using the internal benchmark cough :)
Funny how Intel's PresentMon gives a different picture, and chatting to a few editors in other publications they tend to feel it may be more indicative of real world.
Cheers

I should start using it for my own testing. It's summer though. Temperatures while playing doom are now 8c higher than two weeks ago :p

That is because it is not using the internal benchmark cough :)
Funny how Intel's PresentMon gives a different picture, and chatting to a few editors in other publications they tend to feel it may be more indicative of real world than the internal one.
Cheers

The same thing that happened with Hitman, what an astounding coincidence eh

The 980 Ti is still faster than the 1070 once you overclock the two.
Exactly. That's why I couldn't understand why [h] said "We thought Maxwell was a great overclocker, but then came Pascal.", which IMO implies that Pascal are better overclockers than Maxwell.

Maxwell (980ti at least) is a better overclocker than the 1070, and indeed 980ti OC > 1070FE OC.

I think I'll wait to make that judgement until AFTER the AIB 1070s are released...
Even the reference 980ti was a great overclocker, with ~20% better performance in the AT review:
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Review

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of the non-FE cards with a better cooler from another company for around $400. Looks to me that since I am stuck at 1080p (doesn't bother me either) I will get some kick ass performance out of all the latest titles that are out there.

tdj9p4Q.png

wMQAccZ.png

ZvTPFwE.png

DpAbPsY.png

vj8WIPB.png

They use the internal benchmark for AoTS.
Rest are DX11.
Hitman is also a quirky one because NVIDIA performance is much better in Chapter 2 rather than Chapter 1, also look how close the Fury is to Fury X with only 5% difference.
However again Tom;s Hardware used the internal benchmark with FRAPs, but it still does not reflect the game.
Hardware Canucks did use real gameplay.
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Review - Page 6
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Review - Page 14

I have mentioned in the past, I am really leery of internal benchmarks, and more it is analysed the more it comes out they either do not reflect the real game or the frame presentation analysis to gamer they are meant to represent.
Cheers

Last edited:
The reference 1070 is crippled from an overclocking standpoint by that 112% power target limitation. It has an 8-pin connector and a stock 150w TDP, that target could be up to 145%!

Obviously the reference cooler is poor also, but that's not unexpected. The very low reference power target limit is.

Custom AIB 1070s are gonna SMOKE the reference. Even more so than the 1080. If you buy a FE 1070 and want to overclock, you are an unmitigated sucker.

LOL I love how some are comparing a reference OC 1070 design to OC 980ti and being a little critical that an OC 980ti may be faster :)

This card is definitely looking better value than the 1080 and provides the performance many gamers expect for the leap to 14/16nm.
Possible issue for AMD is that custom 1070s will be out before Polaris launches and so competing not against the FE but the better gaming custom AIB cards that are also cheaper than the FE, bringing them closer to the upper sweet spot price.
Cheers

The reference 1070 is crippled from an overclocking standpoint by that 112% power target limitation. It has an 8-pin connector and a stock 150w TDP, that target could be up to 145%!

Obviously the reference cooler is poor also, but that's not unexpected. The very low reference power target limit is.

Custom AIB 1070s are gonna SMOKE the reference. Even more so than the 1080. If you buy a FE 1070 and want to overclock, you are an unmitigated sucker.

Or you can slab a waterblock on it and customize the BIOS.

Wow 112% power target.....Talk about gimping the card.

This is why the 970's potential was limiting. Thanks Nvidia!

Lets hope Nvidia allow's some 1070 with 120-130% power target.

Wow 112% power target.....Talk about gimping the card.

This is why the 970's potential was limiting. Thanks Nvidia!

Lets hope Nvidia allow's some 1070 with 120-130% power target.

It's a reference card, it just needs to work and it is fine. Higher power targets are for custom cards, and certainly those cards will go above 112%.

Faster is, in fact, ALL it is. Is the GTX980Ti 4K-capable across the board? Is it, in fact, faster at common resolutions? (The [H] preview points to a rather large no there on the latter.)
Even more telling is how it performs (and is priced) compared to AIB/partner GTX970 AND GTX980 cards - it is priced similarly to high-end AIB GTX970 (such as EVGA's GTX970 Hybrid) but seriously curb-stomps it in performance while also using less power. GTX980 non-Ti got undercut merely on price alone; the performance curbstomp is no less profound than it is against GTX970 high-end, however. Being dishwater-dull is far from a disadvantage when it can curbstomp its replacement at no price increase (or cheaper, in the case of non-Ti GTX980) - or did we forget the original Buick Regal T-Type (and later one-off Buick GNX based on the final-generation Grand National)? The original T-Type was the by-the-book "street sleeper" - a stoplight dragster from a company with absolutely ZERO reputation for such. (Before: "Buick? Hahaha!" After: "Ouch - that frigging SMARTS!") That is what the GTX1070 Founder's Edition is basically a new iteration of the T-Type; where it differs is that it follows nVidia's equivalent of the Grand National/GNX - the GTX1080 Founder's Edition - as opposed to preceding it.

Not if it's constrained by the 4-phase power, which seems like the most likely explanation for that 112% limit in the first place.

Ummm... The reference GTX 680 had a 4 phase design and had a 195W TDP. The 1070 only has a TDP of 150W. The quality of the phases is much more important than the quantity. The 112% power limitation is more likely based on the specs of the board/chip and Nvidia not wanting the the 1070 to come too close to the 1080.

Last edited:
It's a reference card, it just needs to work and it is fine. Higher power targets are for custom cards, and certainly those cards will go above 112%.

We Shall see. Nvidia has made AIB limit the voltage power targets before. That is why I Am concerned about what will happen. That is why at first the best 970 was the Gigabyte. It was limited by voltage not power.

Ummm... The reference GTX 680 had a 4 phase design and had a 195W TDP. The 1070 only has a TDP of 150W. The quality of the phases is much more important than the quantity. The 112% power limitation is more likely based on the specs of the board/chip and Nvidia not wanting the the 1070 to some too close to the 1080.

also the cooler it's a cheapo version with 3 heatpipes instead vapor chamber.. also nvidia wanted to achieve the lower Wattage possible but still putting AMD in a shame.. AMD now need a way more perf*watt than before as this thing at 400$ AIB higher clocked model will make anything below High OC'd 980TI users irrelevant..

Oh is that right? Did not catch that the cooler was inferior to the reference 1080 as well.

Anyway conclusion stands-- the reference 1070 is comparitively much worse than the reference 1080. And the reference 1080 ain't great.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Based on the fact that TITAN X is about 10% faster than 980 Ti (depending on game) and 1070 FE is about 5% faster than 980 Ti (depending on game), my educated guess is that it is not as fast as a TITAN X at default configuration, that would be a safe bet and conservative estimate. However, if overclocked, I certainly think 1070 FE can be faster than TITAN X. The game is going to depend a lot on if 1070 FE is at TITAN X performance or not. Performance may have changed since our initial TITAN X review.

Please add Titan X to the final review.

We Shall see. Nvidia has made AIB limit the voltage power targets before. That is why I Am concerned about what will happen. That is why at first the best 970 was the Gigabyte. It was limited by voltage not power.

But that Gigabyte 970 just proves OEMs will come out with higher powered cards :p

Sure, but that does nothing if you cant increase the voltage to take advantage of the power increase.

You would be either fucked by power draw, or fucked by voltage limit. The only way to take advantage of the 970's was a Bios mod....Which is something I Would rather not do again.

Very nice jump in performance for about $100 from previous generation. Hopefully you will be able to pick up 1070's at the $379 mark in a couple of months. Put two together, $800 SLI rig and that should be very impressive to say the least. This is very exciting.

Is it already over for AMD before they begin? I mean seriously, I've been an AMD guy cos of the price-performance ratio compared to Nvidia so I mostly ignore Nvidia cards but this just made my panties wet. A $380 Titan performance left me drooling on the floor .

Looks very nice. So now question is, what's the price going to be for the custom 1070s. I should sell my 980ti on Craigslist.

I saw an interesting review by hardwareunboxed. Given the nature of boost clocks and the thermal throttling behavior of the 1070/1080 line they conducted all benchmarks after a 20 minute warmup period. This should probably be more indicative of real world performance after 5-10 minutes of gameplay.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070: Review – 22 Games Tested at 1080p & 1440p

All tests were conducted using my GPU test rig which is built inside the Corsair Carbide 600C with an Intel Core i7-6700K clocked and locked at 4.5GHz. For a full list of the system specs please check the video description, you’ll also find a detailed video index there as well. Finally all GTX 1070 and 1080 benchmarks were conducted after a 20min warm up period

Their results:

wSpyXcZ.png

Kep46ek.png

As enticing as it is to dump my 980ti and go with SLI 1070s, I really don't want to deal with SLI again. It was more of a hassle than it was worth, imo. It's actually why I'm on my 980ti in the first place. Sure, it's great when it works, but it turns out that when* is a fairly big asterisk.

Is it already over for AMD before they begin? I mean seriously, I've been an AMD guy cos of the price-performance ratio compared to Nvidia so I mostly ignore Nvidia cards but this just made my panties wet. A $380 Titan performance left me drooling on the floor .

It really all depends on pricing on the upcoming Polaris 10 and 11 cards and where the performance is at.

As enticing as it is to dump my 980ti and go with SLI 1070s, I really don't want to deal with SLI again. It was more of a hassle than it was worth, imo. It's actually why I'm on my 980ti in the first place. Sure, it's great when it works, but it turns out that when* is a fairly big asterisk.

I rather wait for big pascal to release or get a 1080 if you are iffy about 1070 SLI and need performance right now.

Going from 980ti to 1070. I really question that move from any 980ti owners. You have already invested in the card and now you are investing another 450+tax to get little better performance? Real upgrade would be 1080 but if I had a 980ti I would wait for 1080 ti that would be upgrade geared towards 980ti owners. Going to1070 is waste of money and sli or crossfire for me is not an options. I won't run two cards even if you gave me the second one for free. Just not worth it.

Well these cards aren't ment for people that have enthusiast cards from the 9xx line.

I'm picking up 2 of these to replace my sli 970s . Not sure why every one is so against sli . I didn't have any issues with sli but maybe with 1 game. Sli is the only way to play 4k at the moment and not have to turn down anything..

I'm picking up 2 of these to replace my sli 970s . Not sure why every one is so against sli . I didn't have any issues with sli but maybe with 1 game. Sli is the only way to play 4k at the moment and not have to turn down anything..

I'm not against it, but not interested in it either, cause the amount of games that support it, is getting lower and lower lol.

I rather wait for big pascal to release or get a 1080 if you are iffy about 1070 SLI and need performance right now.

My current plan is to hold out for big Pascal and pray they don't try to charge $1k for it. If they charge something crazy for it, I may consider the SLI 1070s again down the road.

LOL Ti to 1070 is pretty much a downgrade. Looks like an OC vs OC Ti will still beat it by some margin. They sell for similar price too now. Hell, some of the factory OC'd Tis are faster compared to OCd 1070.

Seen a bit of moaning about the 1080 after volt modding still limited to 1.25V. I wonder if this is the same shit all over again, perhaps someone is hiding how close they are to the finfet wall... AIBs will be telling.

LOL Ti to 1070 is pretty much a downgrade. Looks like an OC vs OC Ti will still beat it by some margin. They sell for similar price too now. Hell, some of the factory OC'd Tis are faster compared to OCd 1070.

Seen a bit of moaning about the 1080 after volt modding still limited to 1.25V. I wonder if this is the same shit all over again, perhaps someone is hiding how close they are to the finfet wall... AIBs will be telling.

True, there is no reason to buy this card if you already own a 980TI, but people upgrading from 390X or 970/980 will benefit from this nice performance boost. This will make a nice upgrade from my GTX 680 but still like to see what 480X has to offer before making my final decision.

I'm definitely going to get my brother to upgrade to one of these things though. He's still on a 7870xt, so it's going to be a massive upgrade for him.

AIB's should be out for this by the time AMD's competition shows up. Then it's just waiting for a [H] review (including the OCing). $300-380 price range. I wasn't expecting to go that high, but after this review, I know exactly where my upper limit is.

This card is gonna be a hit. Awesome stuff, thanks for the review!

This card is going to compete strongly vs. the 1080; the value is impressive

Still a very good upgrade for like 290/290x owners, 970/980 owners as well. While SLI/CFX has it down falls, two 1070's won't break the bank either.

yeah its a good upgrade for people with today's performance bracket and lower cards, still I shy away from SLI/CFX, hopefully mGPU will be supported more in upcoming games.

I know you guys said the 1070 and the 970 aren't comparable because of price, but I think it's fair to say that for many 970 owners, the 1070 is the next option. I'm curious about 1070 vs970 deltas because of the upgrade value, not relative performance to other current gen cards.

That said this thing is a beast. And an incredible value out of the gate.

Back