NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Preview @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Preview - The second video card in the NVIDIA next generation Pascal GPU architecture is finally here, we will explore the GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition video card. In this limited preview today we will look at performance in comparison to GeForce GTX 980 Ti and Radeon R9 Fury X as well as some preview overclocking.

I am too lazy at the moment to go and find the Titan X review, but if anyone else does it, is it faster than the Titan X? :)

edit: oh, and first! :)

Just saw this, nice. Out of interests, did you not overclock the memory because you didn't have time ? I've seen 9200 mhz on the memory which is pretty impressive

I am too lazy at the moment to go and find the Titan X review, but if anyone else oes it, is it faster than the Titan X? :)

as fast as a stock titan x

when you overclock tx it will take the lead vs 1070 overclocked

Some other benches I found

NVIDIA GTX 1070 (3DMark/Ashes/Batman:AK/Battlefield 4/Bioshock Infinite) In-Order:

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070_Performance_3DMark.jpg

NVIDIA GTX 1070 (Dirt Rally/Hitman/Rise of Tomb Raider/Division/Unigine) In-Order:

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070_Performance_Dirt-Rally-635x437.jpg

I am too lazy at the moment to go and find the Titan X review, but if anyone else oes it, is it faster than the Titan X? :)

Based on the fact that TITAN X is about 10% faster than 980 Ti (depending on game) and 1070 FE is about 5% faster than 980 Ti (depending on game), my educated guess is that it is not as fast as a TITAN X at default configuration, that would be a safe bet and conservative estimate. However, if overclocked, I certainly think 1070 FE can be faster than TITAN X. The game is going to depend a lot on if 1070 FE is at TITAN X performance or not. Performance may have changed since our initial TITAN X review.

Looks fantastic! Glad the card pulled through with expected 980Ti beating performance.

Nice preview! I'm selling my 970 this week in my 2nd rig before prices lower locally, now what to do with my lightning 290X in my main rig... Wait until Vega drops and see what happens or grab this..

fixed, thanks - brent

After seeing the 1080's numbers (and pricing), I figured the 1070 would hit the performance/price point that most of us were expecting of Pascal.
Definitely seems like the better value, and the non-reference solutions (probably $399 from eVGA/MSI/etc) will be the ones to look out for.

Mmm.

This overclocking was done without altering the voltage right? If so, then the ceiling for the max OC on a 100% fan FE card may be a bit higher. Pretty impressive card, this is the one to get if anyone wants Pascal as the price is just right and so is the performance. I've got 5 friends right now that are either building a new PC or upgrading and I've got them all committed to purchasing the 1070.

This overclocking was done without altering the voltage right? If so, then the ceiling for the max OC on a 100% fan FE card may be a bit higher. Pretty impressive card, this is the one to get if anyone wants Pascal as the price is just right and so is the performance. I've got 5 friends right now that are either building a new PC or upgrading and I've got them all committed to purchasing the 1070.

Correct, no voltage modification.

I'm not going to add fuel to another fire, but yeah the 1070's are looking good for the money.

Aww man now I want one so far it best bang for buck the NoN Founders Edition will be that is.

8 less texture units than the 770. Looks like a nice card. Price is still a little high. The texture units de-evolving is irking me at the moment though.

Last edited:
Exactly as expected in base performance.

Same story as the 1080, don't buy a FE, wait for an AIB card with better cooling and a second power plug. And a BIOS allowing >112% power target! Man, why did they restrict the power so much?

The 1070 seems like the sweet spot so far. I will probably pick up one to check it out. I think it should hold me over until we see a 1080Ti or new Titan card.

1070 looks very impressive! I think the extra cost over the 970's launch price is worth it considering the memory isn't gimped this time around (3.5 GB fisaco).

On another note, I actually don't see much point to the 1080 - you're paying almost 60% more for slightly more frames (20% at best?) - IMO, it won't make anything that isn't playable on the 1070 playable, especially at 4K.

Great write up! The 1070 sure has a hell of a lot of oomph for a $400ish card (for a non-FE edition). I was expecting a good 5% - 10% less performance, but this pretty handily beats the 980 Ti in every situation I've seen. Pretty awesome.

The 1070 seems like the sweet spot so far. I will probably pick up one to check it out. I think it should hold me over until we see a 1080Ti or new Titan card.

Actually makes me question the amount of improvement we do see on the Ti model. Can't just be me that is a little suspicious/pensive on assuming the Ti will provide the same improvement we saw in the last gen. And with the FE-launch model, there is concern of that not being a good value either haha.

We thought Maxwell was a great overclocker, but then came Pascal.
Unless I'm missing something, the 980ti OC gains have been much higher than the 1080FE/1070FE ones?

For example the Zotac AMP! extreme or the xtremegaming 980ti, which beats the stock 980ti by 20% and the Titan X by 17%? (and this is without additional OC of the model).

Regardless of the above, indeed the 1070 is a great card.

Looking at DX12 numbers I think it's safe to say Polaris is going to wreck this card. It's barely keeping up with the Fury (non-X).

Looking at DX12 numbers I think it's safe to say Polaris is going to wreck this card. It's barely keeping up with the Fury (non-X).

Polaris 10 may match this card in Hitman and aots, but there's really no substance to the 'amd is inherently better at dx12' argument.

Polaris 10 will have around the same compute throughput as a stock 1070.

1070 looks very impressive! I think the extra cost over the 970's launch price is worth it considering the memory isn't gimped this time around (3.5 GB fisaco).

On another note, I actually don't see much point to the 1080 - you're paying almost 60% more for slightly more frames (20% at best?) - IMO, it won't make anything that isn't playable on the 1070 playable, especially at 4K.

There's a market for it, same people who go for the TITAN X, which is me, I want the best performance. It should also make a bigger difference at 4K. I hope a 1080 Ti comes down the line.

I don't think we've seen a large enough and well optimized enough sample of true DX12 games to make that assumption. The DX12 war is just starting, and it has a long ways to go.

I don't think we've seen a large enough and well optimized enough sample of true DX12 games to make that assumption. The DX12 war is just starting, and it has a long ways to go.

Not to mention that you can count the number of dx12 games on one hand. The vast majority of games are not dx12, and the average end user does not benefit from hypothetical performance in games that don't yet exist.

I understand this is a preview, not a review, but you haven't answered the eternal and quintessential question; can it run Crysis?

Not to mention that you can count the number of dx12 games on one hand. The vast majority of games are not dx12, and the average end user does not benefit from hypothetical performance in games that don't yet exist.

Right now game engines are just being patched to DX12, I look forward to games that are built from the ground up in new game engines with native DX12 support.

Not sure that Polaris 10 coming soon is going to wreck it in DX12..It is beating or matching a Fury X.
GTX-1070-REVIEWS-74.jpg

That is using PresentMon and not the internal benchmark: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Review - Page 12

GTX-1070-REVIEWS-76.jpg

Again PresentMon, the Intel developed analysis frame tool: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Review - Page 13

The scary aspect is that the performance is competitive in Quantum Break against Fury X (a game really not optimised for Nvidia HW) and looking at minimum frames in AoTS between a FuryX and the 1070 (30% faster when they dip), at 1440p in that chart as also this time one;
GTX-1070-REVIEWS-48.jpg

Cheers

Not sure that Polaris 10 coming soon is going to wreck it in DX12..
GTX-1070-REVIEWS-74.jpg

That is using PresentMon and not the internal benchmark: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Review - Page 12

GTX-1070-REVIEWS-76.jpg

Again PresentMon, the Intel developed analysis frame tool: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Review - Page 13

The scary aspect is that the performance is competitive in Quantum Break (a game really not optimised for Nvidia HW) and looking at minimum frames in AoTS between a FuryX and the 1070 (30% faster when they dip), at 1440p in that chart as also this time one;
GTX-1070-REVIEWS-48.jpg

Cheers

Woah, what changed? Last I tested aots crazy 1440p I was at 49 fps average at 1500/8000

If a stock 980ti does 53fps I should be trailing a 1080 when I test later :p

Woah, what changed? Last I tested aots crazy 1440p I was at 49 fps average at 1500/8000

If a stock 980ti does 53fps I should be trailing a 1080 when I test later :p
That is because it is not using the internal benchmark cough :)
Funny how Intel's PresentMon gives a different picture, and chatting to a few editors in other publications they tend to feel it may be more indicative of real world than the internal one.
Cheers

Back