I'm going to try the above settings!

I played last night with whatever settings I typically use and I was able to notice an improvement. I'm impressed with how well it worked, I'm using one of the tested/approved Acer FreeSync displays.

After much googlefuu

Vsync ON in nvidia control panel
Vsync OFF in game

Bonus you can try to limit fps to 1-2 frames less than max refresh, but this may add as much lag as fixed frequency vsync.

Using the above settings, if your fps stays within the freesync range, it should have as much lag as vsync off, and lag will only kick in when you are above or below that range, in which case you get the standard vsync lag.

So basically if you are outside of your freesync range you have 2 options; vsync on and get vsync lag but no tearing, or vsync off and have no lag, but tearing.

This appears to be the case(and recomendations from both team red/green) for both freesync and gsync settings as of 2017 driver updates.

I wonder when Gears of War 4 players can upgrade from 385.82 to prevent non stop crashing?

You're telling me. GoW4 is about the only online game I play and that crashing problem is bad.

There is a solid workaround for me though (in case you haven't tried it yet). Turn off GameDVR in Windows settings and turn off Async Compute in the GoW settings. That pretty much solved all my crashing issues but now I can't record my sweet game moves onto XBL. Disabling one or the other still resulted in crashes for me but disabling both resolves crashing.

Bonus you can try to limit fps to 1-2 frames less than max refresh, but this may add as much lag as fixed frequency vsync.

Use RTSS to limit framerate if the game doesn't have its own option. The lag is significantly less than pretty much any other utility out there that can limit framerate.

Hawt dawg, GSYNC enabled and validated on my MSI Optix G27C2. Got some horizontal line artifacts when playing Conan Exiles in windowed mode, so I switched to fullscreen and problem resolved. After installing the driver, I had to enable FreeSync and disable "Over Drive" in the OSD menu. The "Setup GSYNC" option is hidden in the NV Control Panel until FreeSync is enabled in the display's OSD.

Last edited:
Installed the driver, opened up the Nvidia control panel, Windows 10 notification popped up saying my XG270HU monitor was detected as G-Sync supported, the option was enabled by default, so I then got to gaming.

Honestly it seems to work so well I can't tell the difference. I'll have to play games that I recall having tearing issues with but so far I guess it's doing it's thing? I do feel better that this monitor is now being fully utilized.

Thanks for testing this and sharing your results. This definitely means I should compare the 2080 and the Vega 2 at release, since now I am not locked to AMD.

On my XG270HU, I seem to be getting black-outs when non-fullscreen elements pop in or out of a game and when surfing the internet.

Examples: The Windows 10 "Game Bar" is a window that pops up over full screen games and when this menu pops up, the screen blanks out for half a second, then when the game bar menu is dismissed the screen blanks out yet again. The same thing occurs when Windows 10 achievements pop up in the corner during a game. Another time this occurs is when watching YouTube just before and after switching the video to full screen.

Doesn't seem to be affected by either of the two G-Sync options.

You have a bad cable, or to put it in better terms, not one with the proper certified level and it can't handle the load. You need one that is certified for DP 1.4 to handle 144hz at 1440p such as this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079736Z53?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

I had simular issues with the supplied cable that came with the monitor, and after researching it, the above cable solved the problem.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://hardforum.com/threads/vrr-nvidia-display-test-thread.1975513/
If you end up testing your monitor come throw down the settings used and monitor model in this thread.
Would be nice to have a database of sorts.

Monitor Model: Samsung U28E590
Freesync Range: 40-64hz (stock) 40-70hz (CRU OC)
Experience Tearing?: No
Experience Blurring?: No

Games tested: Battle Field 5, Day Z, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6, Hitman 1&2

Comments: Enabled Full Screen and windowed Mode Gsync/Freesync, disabled Vsync in game, saw frame-rates in excess of 600 when the scene was low intensity and experienced no unpleasant issues.

GPU: Titan X (Pascal 2016) OC in Sig
CPU: i7 6850k OC in Sig.

Feels good that Nvidia finally let us have what AMD users have had for a fucking long while.
I hope Gsync dies TBH.

You have a bad cable, or to put it in better terms, not one with the proper certified level and it can't handle the load. You need one that is certified for DP 1.4 to handle 144hz at 1440p such as this cable:

I had simular issues with the supplied cable that came with the monitor, and after researching it, the above cable solved the problem.

Yea you need HBR3, 32.4 Gbps bandwidth in order to do 144hz 1440p. I played it safe and got the 1 meter, my thick as your thumb 9 footer was not working at all.

No, you just need to make sure whomever makes it is on this database. Displays that will saturate the bandwidth of the given DisplayPort version of the connected devices are just advised to be shorter (e.g. < 2m for 8K over DP 1.4, < 3m for 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz). There is no "certified level" with DisplayPort cables. All certified Type-A cables and ports are electrically the same.

https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

DisplayPort over USB-C has different certification levels based on the feature set, but no video card used for gaming uses USB-C for video output.

DisplayPort 1.2 handles 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz just fine. Otherwise monitors like the PG278Q and S2716DG couldn't exist.

Well gsync is working nicely on Asus XG35VQ. Was getting black screens at first but disabling a few monitor settings and reenabling freesync got it going.

I don't have a reddit account to report it though.

I'll give that a try. I forgot what kind of DP cable I got but without G-Sync it is capable of running 144hz at 1440p. Maybe G-Sync/Freesync puts it over the top I guess.

Thanks for the heads up.

Unless I'm missing something, it is so far working flawlessly on my Samsung C32HG70. I've only tried it in FFXIV, but I really hope it helps in No Man's Sky, the results of which I'll edit into this post.

edit: As expected, No Man's Sky performance leaves much to be desired. I don't think it's anything to do with G/FreeSync or this implementation; NMS ran like ass with FreeSync when I had a Vega64 as well. Lots of tearing and hitching now and then.

edit 2: Ok, it's amazing in most games other than NMS. The smoothness of FFXIV is staggering, and all trace of input lag is gone. Despite using an uncertified monitor, I've not seen one problem such as flickering or stuttering.

Last edited:

I know I have another working cable, but hell if I marked it and know where it is. Grabbed one of these because $13 delivered Friday is in 'who cares' territory :).

You're telling me. GoW4 is about the only online game I play and that crashing problem is bad.

There is a solid workaround for me though (in case you haven't tried it yet). Turn off GameDVR in Windows settings and turn off Async Compute in the GoW settings. That pretty much solved all my crashing issues but now I can't record my sweet game moves onto XBL. Disabling one or the other still resulted in crashes for me but disabling both resolves crashing.

Did this fix your issue with newer drivers as well?

Anyone having a problem with the "GSYNC ON" indicator not turning off despite disabling it in NVCP?

So I got Gsync "working" or at least on on my Asus MG279Q by using CRU and specifying a custom range. Bad part though is that when the frame rate drops below the lower range the screen goes crazy corrupted. Once again I had no problems with this monitor using freesync and crossfire on 290Xs.

Going to keep messing with CRU and see if I can get it working. Also going to try custom drivers instead of Generic PnP Monitor

So I got Gsync "working" or at least on on my Asus MG279Q by using CRU and specifying a custom range. Bad part though is that when the frame rate drops below the lower range the screen goes crazy corrupted. Once again I had no problems with this monitor using freesync and crossfire on 290Xs.

Going to keep messing with CRU and see if I can get it working. Also going to try custom drivers instead of Generic PnP Monitor

What CRU freesync range are you using? Also are you changing it in 2 places in CRU?
This page shows a pic and tutorial of the 2 things to change: https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/how-to-enable-freesync-nvidia-graphics-card-gsync-compatible

On my Samsung C27FG70 it looks like the pendulum demo is atleast working. Seems like alot of work though.
The C27FG70 has two freesync ranges. The Standard Engine is 90-144hz and Ultimate Engine is 70-144hz

- DDU old drivers in safe mode (had to do this as it wouldn't enable in control panel)
- Installed a cut down version 417.71 drivers
- Enable Ultimate Engine Freesync on the Monitor
- In nvidia control panel enable g-sync and the 3rd option for this specific display
- Enable V-sync in control panel > Manage 3D Settings
- Disable V-sync in games
- With MSI RTSS set a global framerate limit of 142
- In CRU 1.4.1 by ToastyX set a Freesync Range of 48-144hz in 2 places
- Reboot
- Pray

So far most tech-tubers don't seem to show all this crap and maybe I'm overdoing it. I did look through the release notes from nVidia and do not see any official statement on proper way to get G-Sync VRR/A-Sync/Freesync going.

:D :D :D I got it working! Range of 60-144. Looks like LFC is working as well even. Thanks RogueTrip . I did have to change the freesync range in two places and find a good range. Going to see if I can shoot for lower ranges without artifacting.

Verified working with XL2540, Just had to make sure blur reduction was off in the hidden service menu. Following the instructions led me to a successful result.

:D :D :D I got it working! Range of 60-144. Looks like LFC is working as well even. Thanks RogueTrip . I did have to change the freesync range in two places and find a good range. Going to see if I can shoot for lower ranges without artifacting.

Once you have a working LFC range, is there really any advantage to try to shoot for a lower bottom end on your Freesync range? Since it's just going to double below the range (ie. 59Hz gets rendered as two 118Hz frames), is there really any advantage to expanding your range lower?

RIP GSYNC, nobody will miss you.

I wonder how much sales of Freesync monitors has increased already in the last 2 days. :D

Last edited:
Did this fix your issue with newer drivers as well?

I haven't had a chance to play with this latest G-Sync driver but the workaround has worked for every driver I used before it. I don't update that regularly but I'm also never that behind. I would say that workaround is solid for all newer drivers.

No, you just need to make sure whomever makes it is on this database. Displays that will saturate the bandwidth of the given DisplayPort version of the connected devices are just advised to be shorter (e.g. < 2m for 8K over DP 1.4, < 3m for 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz). There is no "certified level" with DisplayPort cables. All certified Type-A cables and ports are electrically the same.

https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

DisplayPort over USB-C has different certification levels based on the feature set, but no video card used for gaming uses USB-C for video output.

DisplayPort 1.2 handles 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz just fine. Otherwise monitors like the PG278Q and S2716DG couldn't exist.

Ah, the good old Displayport.org. I use to believe what they said, just as you. I also learned different. You are correct there is no specific certification for each specification from DP 1.0 to 1.2 where cables are concerned. There is just one Vesa certification for Display ports ,which state DP certified which means the cable can do up to 4k 60 hz. Which is discussed here: https://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

There is a new certification process for DP 1.4 or 8k by Vesa started about 2 years ago which this article written a year ago explains: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12216/vesa-announces-dp8k-certified-displayport-cables.

But for simplicity, I stated to get a certified 1.4 cable. Because even though there isn't a specific certification for 1.0 to 1.2, it lets the buyer know that the higher DP spec cable allows for higher bandwidth, higher resolution, etc.

Now, here is where research, tons of examples by every day users shows that Displayport.org, and yourself is wrong about DP 1.0 cables to 1.2 cables not being any different. First, DP 1.0, only had to support 10.8 GB bandwidth, or 8.64 GB data rate (up to 2 meters), where 1.2 it is 21.60 GB bandwidth and 17.28 GB data rate. Display port cables are not exempt from OHM"s law. It's impossible. So to say a cable that was designed for Display port 1.0 is the same as a 1.2 cable is false, as the 1.2 cable has to have larger gauge wires or more strands to support double the bandwidth/data transmissions, just as 1.4 has to use large gauge wire or more strands than the DP 1.2 cable. Now the DP cable certification process for Vesa may include or require to be able to support the 1.2 speeds, which is where they can get away with saying that they are all the same, or at least for those that they certify, but this is also all dependent on length. Also keep in mind, as in all certification process, every thing is tested in ideal conditions, or the perfect environment. As you know we don't live in perfect environments.

Now, here is where your comment that All certified Type-A cables and ports are electrically the same is false, due to ohms law. Length effects the electrical properties. So as the cable gets longer the electrical properties change due to ohms law or resistance. There is no way around it.

Now, I used 2 separate DP certified 1.2 cables (2 meters), which at first worked fine, but over time, they started to degrade, they could not handle the bandwidth of Frreesync at 1440p at 144 hz, which there are tons of examples out with people having the same issues. That is why I said to get a certified DP 1.4 cable, because it is the only cable that works, and lasts. But you have to make sure it is certified for the length of cable that you need.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but how do you like that monitor? It’s been one I’ve kind of had an eye on for a bit and now that you say it works perfectly with Nvidia’s implementation I am very interested in it.

I own 2 now ;)

Slightly off topic but how do you like that monitor? It’s been one I’ve kind of had an eye on for a bit and now that you say it works perfectly with Nvidia’s implementation I am very interested in it.

I own 2 now ;)

RTX 2070. Can now load into Hitman 2 again. Turn off picture in picture (or some setting) in the game's gameplay options and the CTDs will stop.

Back