NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready 372.90 WHQL Drivers

I wonder if they fixed the Fallout 3 / Fallout NV issues.

Oh this is bullshit:

Issues not caused by NVIDIA Drivers:
Application Issues:
[Windows 10][Bethesda Softworks games (Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim)] Games crash when launched. [1802925]

If these issues are not caused by Nvidia drivers, how come they work perfectly in the 369 branch, but crash in everything after that?

Oh this is bullshit:

If these issues are not caused by Nvidia drivers, how come they work perfectly in the 369 branch, but crash in everything after that?
There were some changes to the Direct3D 9 branch of the DirectX API with WDDM 2.1 in the Anniversary Update that are probably the culprit, including completely relegating memory addressing to 32-bit. Need to hang onto those W7 and W8.1 keys if you want to continue playing DX9 games, it seems. A broken workaround is to take the D3D dll file(s) from an older version of Windows and dropping them into the respective game directory where the binary executable exists.

Ah, so what you are saying is that older Bethesda titles present issues when used with WDDM2.1 drivers?

From what I can gather, as long as you are not using BOTH Anniversary update and 372 drivers, those games should run without problems.

Rolling to an older driver with AU, or newer driver without (at least for me) works out fine.

I rolled back on AU because it broke more things besides the GPU driver (my Xonar DG gets borked with AU), works fine now.

Absolutely correct.

Hmm. I'll have to try if running them in some sort of compatibility mode fixes it.

I wonder what the chances of Bethesda patching years old titles is. That being said, they still sell those titles in steam.

Given their track record, unlikely.

FO4 surprised me in some ways since they patched it much more heavily than they did with Skyrim, which by Skyrim I have come to the point where I don't expect Bethesda to patch anything beyond game breaking bugs, and rest of the bugs are only done via mods (unofficial patches).

Most of the FO3 and NV modders have completely moved off those games.

They MIGHT fix it with Skyrim and FO4 (since both are currently grabbing their attention right now), but I have no expectations that FO3 or NV will be fixed, either by Bethesda or Modders, which is partly why I rolled back from AU, though my main reason for rolling back from AU have more to do with the Sound card issue. Rolling back solved the WDDM2.1 driver issue.

I've noticed that if in general 3D settings I set the power to maximum performance, it idles at stock 3d clocks very often comparing to setting it to adaptive in general and using maximum performance only in each particular game profile. They still seem to have problems with idle clocks, even though I've set my monitor to 120Hz.

Back