Nvidia Geforce FX 5800 Ultra

When those cards came out I thought it was the end for Nvidia.

Oh, and btw, here are a few fun things ...

And apparently Patrick still lurks on [H] ...

Last edited:
That's just wrong. eBay average is for the Quadro FX 5800. GeForce FX 5800 Ultras are pretty rare. This is maybe the first working one I've seen in a year. I saw two that were listed as 'not working/parts'.

And for those wondering why is it so much? Well supply/demand. Very few supply to begin with. Even fewer ones that are working.

Reviews:
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2003/01/27/geforce_fx_5800_ultra_preview
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1062/6
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-fx-5800-ultra-the-review,13.html

Shameless personal pics of my own card.

View attachment 58508
Ironic since your picture has the card laying on top of the anti-static bag. I guess you don't care if your's dies a pointless death.

I still have my FX5600 laying around somewhere.... I remember trying to play Doom 3 on it.... It was “awesome” at 1024x768 lol

I never got the chance to play with the Dustbuster, but I did own it's little brother. I had a EVGA 5700 Ultra, with the cyberdemon "Designed for Doom 3" graphic on the HSF.
The only good thing I could say about it was it was the first GPU that I could OC to 1GHz on the core. :D

128-A8-N336-AX-lg.jpg

Only when I'm alone late at night. Sometimes I have to get my Voodoo2 cards out to shake the blues.

I wish my father didn't threw all of my stuff when he started re-innovating his place. I had a "Banshee" a Voodoo 3 3000 a 6600 GT and a 8800 GT boards on the wall, plus couple of fried mobos around them. I used to "decorate" my room with all the hardware that I owned.

Ironic since your picture has the card laying on top of the anti-static bag. I guess you don't care if your's dies a pointless death.

Yea, that's a myth. Never had anything die from putting on top of anti-static bag. I do this at work all the time.

Here are some pics of my Leadtek Winfast A300 Ultra. At the time, I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. It has a minature boom box look to it.

Attachments

• DCP_1113.JPG
    DCP_1113.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DCP_1114.JPG
    DCP_1114.JPG
    665.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I still have my FX5600 laying around somewhere.... I remember trying to play Doom 3 on it.... It was “awesome” at 1024x768 lol
I had a 5900XT and I was able to get it to run well at 1280x960 with a custom config file a mile long. 1600x1200 at the time was the dream.

Ahh, the GeForce 5000 series... those were dark times for Nvidia. Nvidia rebounded with the 6000 series, but the 5000 series is pretty much the lowest point in Nvidia GPU history.

Might as well pair this with a Pentium IV Willamette and throw some Rambus in there for good measure. A smorgasbord of disappointment...

...also makes a really good space heater.

The art work and colors made up for lack of performance as where FX is to open your mind up to (if we had another 6 months ) specials effects like how or when we think RGB makes things look fast or faster .

Last edited:
The noise on my 5800 Ultra was annoying as hell, but the performance was flawless for me at 1024x768 on my old NEC flat panel monitor. I did upgrade to the 9800 Pro 256mb later on though.

The noise on my 5800 Ultra was annoying as hell, but the performance was flawless for me at 1024x768 on my old NEC flat panel monitor. I did upgrade to the 9800 Pro 256mb later on though.

whatever became of your 5800 Ultra?

I never got the chance to play with the Dustbuster, but I did own it's little brother. I had a EVGA 5700 Ultra, with the cyberdemon "Designed for Doom 3" graphic on the HSF.
The only good thing I could say about it was it was the first GPU that I could OC to 1GHz on the core. :D

View attachment 58972
On what cooling?? LN2 or DICE or i call BS.

On what cooling?? LN2 or DICE or i call BS.

I'm assuming memory is just a bit fuzzy and he meant 1ghz (effective) on the memory, which was doable. I was barely able to get 700mhz to pass 3dmark 01 with chilled water on NV36. Would definitely take LN2 to get 1ghz

either way that post is old so I doubt we'll hear back on it :p

Back