nVidia GeForce FX 5800 Non-Ultra Flashed to Ultra

erek

[H]F Junkie
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NV30-GPU-G...233025?hash=item56cd667b81:g:QW8AAOSw5P9dr0uk

heh, lame

upload_2019-10-26_0-28-25.png

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does the FX 5800 have two or three vertex shaders? Wikipedia and the Techpowerup website say two, but your screenshot shows 3? The FX 5900 is supposed to have 3.

I like how the seller claims that FX 5800 cards are rare because they had design faults. No, the high end FX series cards are rare because they were crap and nobody bought them because the Radeon 9800 Pro curb stomped them. Nvidia made a fatal mistake half-assing their DirectX 9.0 support on the FX series, resulting in significant performance penalties when the card ran DirectX 9 games. If you fell back to DirectX 8.1, the card was a decent performer, but nobody wanted to pay $400 for a card with half-assed features.

Heat probably caused issues for these cards, but it does on all power hungry cards.

No, the high end FX series cards are rare because they were crap and nobody bought them because the Radeon 9800 Pro curb stomped them. Nvidia made a fatal mistake half-assing their DirectX 9.0 support on the FX series, resulting in significant performance penalties when the card ran DirectX 9 games. If you fell back to DirectX 8.1, the card was a decent performer, but nobody wanted to pay $400 for a card with half-assed features.

Heat probably caused issues for these cards, but it does on all power hungry cards.
Precisely. These were overpriced hot garbage when they came out. I was in the demographic that, while I could certainly afford them, avoided them like they were the plague. You must have been an Nvidia fanboy or a loon to have bought one of these at retail price, especially the Ultra. They were too hot, too noisy, and had no where near the performance-per-dollar metric the competition had. Even Nvidia considers them a failure.

Granted, Nvidia turned things right back around with the 6000 series. Successful product = mass produced. That's why you have no problem finding 9800 Pros and 6800 Ultras at a reasonable price on ebay. The 5800 series are rare because nobody wanted them.

Oh man. I still have a 5800 Ultra. I should throw that on the internet.

Reactions: erek
like this
The card in the auction have two DVI outputs while genuine FX 5800 cards have a DVI + D-Sub output. Finally, in the left upper corner you can see a 12-pin female header used for GenLock/Framelock on Quadro FX cards. So, looks like this is NOT a FX 5800 / 5800 Ultra card. This is a Quadro FX 1000 or Quadro FX 2000 card with the Asus FX 5800 cooler & tweaked BIOS and NOT as written in the discription, a FX 5800 card.

I wrote that to the seller, but got no reply and he/she blocked me. :D

Back