Nvidia GeForce CRD 419.67 now available

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Nvidia updates its graphics drivers on a somewhat regular basis, but they're most often aimed at gamers with the "Game Ready" title usually attributed to them...today, Nvidia has a release aimed at content creators, specifically those dealing with video and image editing workloads...the Creator Ready Driver version 419.67 aims to bring performance improvements to a variety of content creation tools such as Adobe Photoshop and Premier

Specifically, Nvidia says this driver will provide "optimal experience" for Autodesk Arnold, Unreal Engine 4.22, REDCINE-X PRO, Adobe Lightroom, and Substance Designer by Adobe...tt also includes performance improvements in other apps...using the Nvidia RTX 2080 as an example, Nvidia says you'll see up to 13% better performance in Blender cycles, up to 9% in both Adobe Photoshop and Premiere, and up to 8% performance improvements in CINEMA 4D...

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/145178

I do not like this separation of driver types.
Is there any reason why they couldn't optimize games and content creation sw at the same driver?

So far it's been problem free for me.

In both Photoshop and Lightroom.

Game performance unchanged as far as I can tell.

PNY RTX 2070 OC

A few years ago they were adamant that having a single unified driver was the way to go. Interesting that they have gone back to the older model of separately optimized drivers. Makes you wonder if certain optimizations break or severely hamper certain games and/or vice versa with productivity apps.

The new drivers specifically mention Anthem. That game runs like hot buttered garbage for me, so I suppose I'm curious.

The new drivers specifically mention Anthem. That game runs like hot buttered garbage for me, so I suppose I'm curious.

I read only for SLI profiles for ANTHEM is improved. The game already plays and looks great at 1080p on my RTX 2060 at 60FPS.

I read only for SLI profiles for ANTHEM is improved. The game already plays and looks great at 1080p on my RTX 2060 at 60FPS.

On my 2080Ti I have to turn the details to medium or lower to maintain 60fps in 4K. It'll look great one minute and then plummet by 50% or more the next if I go with anything above medium.

On my 2080Ti I have to turn the details to medium or lower to maintain 60fps in 4K. It'll look great one minute and then plummet by 50% or more the next if I go with anything above medium.

Do you use any AA?

Do you use any AA?

I have it set to TAA. When trying to find settings that didn't kill my FPS I don't recall that being that big of a performance hit. Texture, terrain, and vegetation quality seemed to be the real killers. When I set everything to Ultra (like some people claim they do), my FPS = in the 30's. They don't look all that different up-close, but the more you turn them down, the more pop-up there is. It isn't horrible like Fallout (even on "low") so I just got used to it. For me it's 60fps or nothing.

A few years ago they were adamant that having a single unified driver was the way to go. Interesting that they have gone back to the older model of separately optimized drivers. Makes you wonder if certain optimizations break or severely hamper certain games and/or vice versa with productivity apps.

I do not like this separation of driver types.
Is there any reason why they couldn't optimize games and content creation sw at the same driver?

First, the drivers are unified drivers, in that you can use either driver for both gaming and content creation. You don't have to get one specifically over the other. The difference is in optimization.

There are differences in how you use the GPU for games from how you use it for content creation. Likely they are changing how things are being processed, so using a driver for content creation optimization could potentially degrade some performance in games. They likely aren't testing it against games, as their full focus is on rigorously testing it for the content creator applications.

The key is in their own words:

"We’ll continue to release Game Ready Drivers when the latest PC games and downloadable content launch — this remains unchanged. Both Game Ready Drivers and Creator Ready Drivers will include the full NVIDIA feature set and application support for games and creative apps, so users can continue to use either driver they prefer. But creators now have an option to receive designated driver releases with more in-depth testing to meet the stringent demands of their work."

Basically they want to do the same thing for content applications that they are doing for games, get releases out with new optimizations as soon as application releases drop. So essentially they are doing these efforts in parallel now to get updates out faster for the applications people are using.

Back