NVIDIA GeForce 301.24 Beta Drivers

That's not true at all. Maybe for old versions of HDMI, but anything that is going to be supported now can do 1080p/60 just fine.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=154626

I'm doing more research, it seems like a Crysis-specific issue. Which is exactly when I had my issue. I was messing around with some Warhead. I didn't try other games.

If switching to analog fixes the issue for me, i'm good. Still looks amazing with adaptive vsync. If I decide to solve it, so much the better.

That's different than HDMI not being able to do 1080p/60 - that's a bug. Have you thought about going DVI-HDMI instead? That might eliminate the problem and would keep you digital, which is much preferred.

That's different than HDMI not being able to do 1080p/60 - that's a bug. Have you thought about going DVI-HDMI instead? That might eliminate the problem and would keep you digital, which is much preferred.

Nah there's no DVI connection with the TV i'm using to game with. It's either HDMI or VGA. I could get new stuff, but i'm too cheap. I was seriously thinking about one of those ebay Korean monitors that everyone's raving about but they might not be supported by GTX 480.

If it's not one thing it's another lol.

I really like the analog to be honest, I know it's not [H]ard or whatever, but it's working for me.

I mean use the DVI connector on the card, and connect it to the HDMI on the TV - either by getting a DVI to HDMI adapter, or a DVI to HDMI cable. That's how I hook my TV up when I want to.

According to that link though, it doesn't make a difference for your problem.

I mean use the DVI connector on the card, and connect it to the HDMI on the TV - either by getting a DVI to HDMI adapter, or a DVI to HDMI cable. That's how I hook my TV up when I want to.

According to that link though, it doesn't make a difference for your problem.

Oh I see...now that I think of it, I might have one of those in a box of junk somewhere.

*edit* yeah I had one of them dvi-hdmi adapters. No go. Still running Crysis 24 fps. with vsync. Oh but BF3 is very nice....very nice indeed.

*edit2* I used this hack to "fix" it. It works...whatever. ;) http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/topic33442

Last edited:
So display port works for me, but not if i shut down my computer. When I boot back up the DP monitor does not activate and when I get into nvidia control panel it is unchecked.

Have to recheck it and set it as primary display every reboot. samsung s27a950d

So display port works for me, but not if i shut down my computer. When I boot back up the DP monitor does not activate and when I get into nvidia control panel it is unchecked.

Have to recheck it and set it as primary display every reboot. samsung s27a950d

Hasn't happened to me. Do you multiple connections from display to gpu plugged in?

no, im simply using DP (main screen), DVI (secondary monitor), and HDMI (reciever)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=154626

I'm doing more research, it seems like a Crysis-specific issue. Which is exactly when I had my issue. I was messing around with some Warhead. I didn't try other games.

If switching to analog fixes the issue for me, i'm good. Still looks amazing with adaptive vsync. If I decide to solve it, so much the better.

Yes this problem is present in Crysis, Warhead, and Crysis 2. It is a glitch whereby the video cards detects 24Hz by default for 1080p. Therefore when you V-SYNC, you are locked at 24fps. There is no workaround that I am aware of. It is an issue that occurs primarily with HDTV's and as far as I can tell the blame lies squarely with Crytek for not only not fixing it, but carrying it over into Crysis 2.

That's one of the reasons I don't really like Crytek as a developer. "Sorry we aren't going to fix any issues anymore, deal with it". Crysis 1 still has a horrid memory leak at the last boss and they never ported the improvements from Crysis: Warhead, including the 64-bit executable, back to the original game. Lazy as fuck, imo.

It fixed some problems i was having with BF3 which is nice. where is the adaptive vsync option ;O

It fixed some problems i was having with BF3 which is nice. where is the adaptive vsync option ;O
It's under the normal Vsync option. You can select Adaptive as an option now along with Application Select / Forced On / Disabled.

I tell ya what, AVsync is the neatest damned thing since sliced bread. :D

Anyone try playing The Witcher EE and forcing Adaptive VSync? I'm not totally sure if it's the AVSync or not, but I've been getting some pretty massive stuttering at times in the game.

The beta drivers have worked great for me so far on my GTX 580. BF3 looks amazing. Drivers are very stable and adaptive vsync is a nice feature.

I spoke too soon. These fucking drivers are still causing display driver timeouts for me in the one game I play now, Battlefield 3. I even downclocked the card to 25mhz below its shipped speed. Still happens. It is getting really annoying when you are in the middle of a heated BF match and poop! your shit freezes and you see your desktop and have to force quit bf3 and hope to get back into the server,

NV/DICE fix your shit!

I am now team Fuck NV drivers until this shit gets fixed. So far 4 driver revisions and still no fix.

I spoke too soon. These fucking drivers are still causing display driver timeouts for me in the one game I play now, Battlefield 3. I even downclocked the card to 25mhz below its shipped speed. Still happens. It is getting really annoying when you are in the middle of a heated BF match and poop! your shit freezes and you see your desktop and have to force quit bf3 and hope to get back into the server,

NV/DICE fix your shit!

I am now team Fuck NV drivers until this shit gets fixed. So far 4 driver revisions and still no fix.

Get radical. Drop that CPU oc, sys ram to 1333, knock gpu/mem down 100.

NV/DICE fix your shit!

Seems like there must be something else going on with your system config, since the last 4 driver revisions have worked flawlessly for me and have continued to do so, in BF3 and otherwise.

Not saying you're not having problems, but when I hear that someone has problems for the last 4 driver revisions, it makes me think there's something else going on other than driver issues.

Seems like there must be something else going on with your system config, since the last 4 driver revisions have worked flawlessly for me and have continued to do so, in BF3 and otherwise.

Not saying you're not having problems, but when I hear that someone has problems for the last 4 driver revisions, it makes me think there's something else going on other than driver issues.

1. The TDR problems are a known issue with Nvidia. Supposedly they are still working on it.
2. 285.xx whql worked perfectly fine for me. I just lose about 10-15% of performance improvements going back to them compared to the later drivers.
3. xorbe, I actually have been running the CPU at stock for awhile now. I just never changed my signature. I apologize for that misleading info. I will try a more generous under-clock on the GPU however.
4. Some people talk about raising the vcore, but I don't want to resort to that.

I'm still getting TDR crashes with these, however they are infrequent, maybe 3-4 a week and they only happen on the desktop when I am browsing the web (FF11, Flash/YouTube seems to cause it), I never have TDR crashes in game. This has been my experience since about August 2011, the 275.xx were the only drivers that did not cause this for me.

Since TDRs are rare and don't happen in game, I am not too annoyed by them, but if I buy a 680 and get them I will rage and consider returning it for an AMD card.

I like how windows maximize to one monitor. I also like how the task bar is limited to my center screen.
However; all my desktop icons are on my far left monitor in surround mode. Is there a way to have my desktop icons default to my center monitor? If not it seems weird to have my taskbar on my center monitor and my icons on my left monitor.

my icons lost the ability to align to a grid (even with the option checked). They just kind of overlap eachother and when I drag them and release they release anywhere, not to a grid.

Mine still snap into a grid but just not on the monitor I want. If I drag them all to my center screen and then sort them, they all go back to my far left monitor. Also it would be nice if windows would just resize to the window I am in when I hit the windows key+ left (or) right arrow. The window resizes to half of the size of all the monitors like it did before in the old drivers using surround mode. It still sees all my monitors as one big screen.

Highly don't recommend these drivers for any GTX 560 ti 448 card. This driver made my MSI TF3 GTX 560 ti 448 card down clock and run unstable. Big performance hit.

as much as like the drivers for gaming and surround, they keep randomly crashing during video play back.

I am going to uninstall until the official drivers come out. BF3 now has both stuttering and tearing with any setting. Skyrim seems to be running fine except for a few texture glitches but they are minor. My biggest problem is with BF3.

These were supposed to be WHQL candidates, but now they're saying the PSOD video crash fix won't be in the next driver, but the one after that.

I think I might have fixed my TDR/Freezing/Rebooting issues by raising the voltage on my GPU. I went 30 minutes without a crash or anything playing BF3 after the voltage tweak.

I like how windows maximize to one monitor. I also like how the task bar is limited to my center screen.
However; all my desktop icons are on my far left monitor in surround mode. Is there a way to have my desktop icons default to my center monitor? If not it seems weird to have my taskbar on my center monitor and my icons on my left monitor.

theres a trick to fix it.. switch your primary monitors(left middle) 3 or 4 times in windows config(if you are using extended mode) eventually it causes windows to say WTF?! and the icons stay in the middle screen.. figured this out after screwing with windows because i was to lazy to reinstall ultramon after installing windows 7 which has the option built into it. either way the icon's should technically always be on the primary display. last resort swap the monitors around so number 1(primary) is your center display. but you will have to redo your surround settings.

I think I might have fixed my TDR/Freezing/Rebooting issues by raising the voltage on my GPU. I went 30 minutes without a crash or anything playing BF3 after the voltage tweak.

I pretty much suspect a lack of voltage for most of this issue. I have not had it with this driver yet, which makes it the only one since I have owned this card. I wish they would just make it stable rather than trying to throttle down the voltage to save 5 cents on my electric bill. It is the only issue I have had with this card though. I'm glad I came over to the green side.

These were supposed to be WHQL candidates, but now they're saying the PSOD video crash fix won't be in the next driver, but the one after that.

Looks like a new driver is going to be released in the next couple days according to the nvidia forums rep and should address this along with many other issues.

Looks like a new driver is going to be released in the next couple days according to the nvidia forums rep and should address this along with many other issues.

Not surprised there is a new one coming. This will be the first time > 1 month between driver releases since Christmas. I've literally been expecting the new drivers for over a week.

I like the adaptive vsync, but these and the whql drivers before are utterly ridiculous for a few games I play. No BSOD, but my games crash to desktop if I alt tab and sometimes the card gets stuck on a 2d speed. Should have stayed with drivers on cd, but adaptive vsync is nice :).

there were some new drivers (.40's?) posted to guru 3d yesterday, I am running them now and they have fixed nearly all the problems (such as "display driver has stopped responding" and some of the display port functionality bugs).

Give them a shot if you are having problems with the current beta drivers while we await an offical WHQL release

im getting insane TDRs with this driver.
msi 560ti, non-oc'd

i cant do anything.
im about to rollback to the whql until a better beta comes out.

301.40 is even worse. every few minutes or so.
starting to wonder if its my card, or the drivers.
still seems to be much worse in firefox, i disabled hardware accel

Last edited:
What is TDR short for? I have heard of this problem but don't know what it is? :confused:

What is TDR short for? I have heard of this problem but don't know what it is? :confused:

Timeout Detection and Recovery. Happens due to many reasons -- including driver bugs, interaction between two drivers, hardware issues (cpu/mem/mobo/gfx/psu/etc), spyware, overclocking, and so on. Usually manifests as screen blank out for 2-10 seconds, and when it comes back, there is a little pop-up bubble that says the driver has recovered. Feature was introduced with Vista. TDR while web browsing have been pointing to the driver in recent history. TDR while gaming is almost always a hardware issue (overclocked cpus, and "super overclock" gfx cards are common culprits.)

Back