NVIDIA G92s and G94 Reportedly Failing

The laptop problems are truth. Is this a chip problem? Nvidia knows. And Nvidia is being quiet about the problem. That doesn't bode well with investors and conspiracy theorists.

Maybe it doesn't affect all the chips, but if the mobiles are made from the same core as the desktop grakkas, and the mobiles are failing at high rates, it is not unreasonable to assume that it may pass over to the desktop grakkas.

It sounds like a heat issue. Of course desktops solve most of that with the bigger cooling solutions and non-battery powered power source. It's speculation until now, but it's not unreasonable speculation considering Nvidia are being quiet and are not helping the situation.

i think the bug is for real. I think in the desktop setting ...the fans on the gpu runs faster and have more space to dissipate heat. Thus the problem with the defect on the desktop side doesnt happen. On the Laptop side where noise and power draw is king, the problem shows its head.

So its not FUD.. you just need to the right condtions to show the defect. The laptop setting fits the bill.

Puh-leeze. We've been hearing this nonsense from Charlie at INQ' forever. He has a penchant for spreading FUD about nVidia, and I can't believe anyone would actually think anything he has to say qualifies as "news". If this is ever confirmed by anyone who has a shred of journalistic integrity, then we can pay attention.

Puh-leeze. We've been hearing this nonsense from Charlie at INQ' forever. He has a penchant for spreading FUD about nVidia, and I can't believe anyone would actually think anything he has to say qualifies as "news". If this is ever confirmed by anyone who has a shred of journalistic integrity, then we can pay attention.

so you're saying there are no problems with Nvidia chips and this all is 100% made up FUD by Charlie?

i'm surprised you guys here would quote Charlie - his history of bad journalism is legendary, regardless of whether he is in any way correct...If G92 desktop variant alone is defective, this is relevant to many [h] readers and reason enough to check other sources and qualify this guy's article - is there the smell of hidden rubbish starting to rot or is this just tall-poppie syndrome??..

i'm surprised you guys here would quote Charlie - his history of bad journalism is legendary, regardless of whether he is in any way correct...If G92 desktop variant alone is defective, this is relevant to many [h] readers and reason enough to check other sources and qualify this guy's article - is there the smell of hidden rubbish starting to rot or is this just tall-poppie syndrome??..

I swear 75% of people who post on here don't bother to read anything.

The problem is that nVidia is being secretive about the actual issue. HP is doing an unconditional repair job to anyone who has one of the laptops that was listed for the bios updates/affected by 'the issue' if they happen to mention that the video is nVidia and they've been having display problems. Just sent 3 off this week alone.

HP has extended the warranty for all laptops in a specific range of GPU models... all of them nVidia.

Dell has been said to be considering the same.

Read my post on the previous page and you can see nVidia's "statement" about the deal. They've sewed their lips shut.

There are no other sources aside from looking at what companies are doing what to rectify the problem for those affected... because nVidia has basically said nothing and made it everyone else's problem.

Give it time and someone's gonna break the NDA or partnership deal and spill the beans.

If this were as bad as the article makes out, we'd see more complaints on the forums.

I had a card fail and didn't post about it all over this forum. Or any other forum. Yes I have mentioned it in passing since the incident occurred. But your assumption doesn't really hold up. You think everyone will act the way you do.

where is the evidence my friend's Gigabyte 8600GT is defective?

what am I supposed to do about it?

Granted everyone knows that there's no love lost between Charlie and Nvidia,but there's no denying the laptop problems,the GTX 200 series pricing snafu,coupled with a serious underestimating of ATI,and the fact they totally screwed up by antagonizing Intel.At this point,I can't really say it would be that hard to believe that they've messed up again,they've made so many mistakes recently.

so they're just allegations. nothing official

And if you had been reading the thread, therein lies the exact problem.

You have to wonder exactly why HP would be extending warranties only for laptops with nVidia chips and nVidia doesn't have anything to say for it.

As far as the desktop parts are concerned, a good indicator was the 7900 series. There were lots of probs, and the forums were full of threads, warranty stories, card shortages, possible fixes, ect. I'm not seeing that kind of response this time on the G92's and G94's.

There are no other sources aside from looking at what companies are doing what to rectify the problem for those affected... because nVidia has basically said nothing and made it everyone else's problem.

While I doubt that's the case with desktop G92 gpu's (as published in the Inq article) as I think forum users would be experiencing more issues, what you mention above is par for the course for nVidia.

Broken nForce3/nForce4 firewalls? Check. Broken PureVideo on the NV40/NV45 graphics processors? Check. nVidia has a history of trying to sweep defects under the rug and hope no class-action lawsuit ensues --and so far, they've won the gamble.

The reason they lost in the notebook arena (where the problem definitely exists) is because very large notebook vendors are affected, and the vendors are calling nVidia to task, rather than the customers who bought the product. Lose your vendors, lose your profits, and you're screwed, so they have to do something about it.

I'm still wondering whether the Quadro NVS 140M in my ThinkPad T61 is affected by the issue.

So are people here saying there are no problems. Or are they saying the problem is only on the laptop side not the desktop side?

So are people here saying there are no problems. Or are they saying the problem is only on the laptop side not the desktop side?

Laptop problems seem real, but we have not seen SHIT about a problem for G92/G94 chips. It's just Charlie's stupid fanboy crap.

Laptop problems seem real, but we have not seen SHIT about a problem for G92/G94 chips. It's just Charlie's stupid fanboy crap.

Even with the laptop issue, its blown out of proportion by anti-Nvidia people.

Well I did have to RMA two 9600gt, but I eventually found out I was having a driver problem when I tried a 3rd card, all fixed now. I doubt desktop graphics cards will be a real problem for nvidia they do make those cards well. As I understand it the problems only come up once the card has been under high temperatures for extended times. This failure is accelerated in laptops because inside they get especially hot compared to desktops. If all this is true then most desktops will probably be replaced or upgraded before this failure even happens in large numbers. Just my shot in the dark on this though.

Is it just me or does Nvidia seem careless about their chipset business? They don't test their products like intel or they don't care enough about the problems they find to fix before release.

ive had one 8600gt
and one 8800gt die on me

Both were used in my main rig that was on 24-7 but then i moved them to my htpc which when not in use goes to sleep and all quite often so there is alot of temp cycling.

the 8600gt never woke up so i put in the 8800gt and used that and same situation.
so when i got my replacement 8800gt back i put a duo-orb on it and set the htpc to always on lol :( $$$

Their stock price could reach a new 52 weeks low if this news is true. AMD has just released their fastest card today and nVidia earning report today is not encouraging either.

buy as much as you can if it is 11 bucks or lower. It will be at 30 by next March

I will be watching this closely. I take anything coming from the INQ with a large grain of salt. However, with the current laptop card issues from NV this can't really be ignored.

I have one of the defective GPU's in my laptop and my laptop is no longer under warranty. The band-aid BIOS solution from Dell is an insult but I don't hold a grudge against Dell for it since NV isn't saying or doing squat. I paid good money for a defective piece of silicon.

If G92/94 really does have issues NV will never say a word. nVidia could squash many rumors if they'd just cough up full details on the mobile GPU situation and this rumor. We all know the mobile situation is real but we get nothing from NV. NV is only hurting themselves by not responding to anything.

-V

a friend of mine is longtime hardcore NVDIA all the way... and he just got a 4870

his reasoning? "even the dumbest rat knows when its time to jump ship"

or in other words... Oh shit we screwed up with our new range of Extortionally priced cards. Oh shit we've admitted a 200mil charge on "unspecified" chip issues. Oh shit we're praying we get 50nm right with TMSC cos our current cards are WAY too hot and suck power.

Ironicly... its like intel with P4's... and AMD with the K8.

I hope nvidia survive. We do need the competition. What we dont need is them treating the consumer like shit. Trying to bury their current issues and hoping that the majority of the lappys go "out of warrenty" before they have to fix them is seriously poor Customer Service. The OEM's are PISSED. But evidence points to them having to NDA inorder to have costs covered. Its only way more details havent leaked out. It will in the end. It always does. Just how many little folk are gonna get fucked on the way... remains to be seen.

I for one will not be taking any crap from a defective product. If they do not repair it satisfactorarly or it craps out again... then i will be getting a full refund and finding a laptop with an ATI card.

doesn't Charlie have a vendetta against Nvidia??

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Hmmm. nVidia has not been quiet about the laptop issue. In their earning statements, they flatout say they are taking a charge against future replacements of bad chips because of the laptop issue.

The G92\G94 issue is entirely separate. Why doesn't nVidia say anything? They have. Read back in the thread for a quote from nVidia reps that say that this is a big old pile of BS.

I am confused as to why i would see an Inq article on the front page of [H]. I'm wondering what Steve was drinking yesterday that would have gotten him to start posting junk news again after years of practically banning Inq stories.

nVidia is in a lose\lose situation about this. People give Charlie way WAY too much credit because he got one right for once in his life. You'll notice that except for the laptop chipset issue, Charlie has no sources or quotes about the desktop chip issues.

When an article goes from direct quoting of sources on one issue, then bleeds into no quotes and a lot of "seems like" and "almost as if" and the like, you need to turn your BS sensors on.

Hmmm...my 8800GT SSC just artifacted and crashed the other day after a few hours of MOH: Airborne. Been doing fine since, but it made me nervous.

As far as the desktop parts are concerned, a good indicator was the 7900 series. There were lots of probs, and the forums were full of threads, warranty stories, card shortages, possible fixes, ect. I'm not seeing that kind of response this time on the G92's and G94's.

Bingo. I'd believe his statement if we saw a massive flood of people complaining on forums in general, not just [H]. But I haven't seen an outbreak of people complaing about their G92's and G94's except for the occasional issue, which is to be expected with any computer hardware product.

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Good movie! :D

Hmmm. nVidia has not been quiet about the laptop issue. In their earning statements, they flatout say they are taking a charge against future replacements of bad chips because of the laptop issue.

The problem is other then that single statement in their earningings statement they haven't said squat about the problem. Not how many GPU's are effected or which vendors are effected. Right now it appears all 8400m and 8600m are effected but that's only going by the few vendors talking about the issue. How many vendors aren't saying anything with the hope that warranty goes by so that they don't have to do anything? No information on what they're doing to correct the problem. No information on what happens to those of us with this defective GPU who no longer have a warranty.

-V

Love that movie.

The problem is other then that single statement in their earningings statement they haven't said squat about the problem. Not how many GPU's are effected or which vendors are effected. Right now it appears all 8400m and 8600m are effected but that's only going by the few vendors talking about the issue. How many vendors aren't saying anything with the hope that warranty goes by so that they don't have to do anything? No information on what they're doing to correct the problem. No information on what happens to those of us with this defective GPU who no longer have a warranty.

-V

As I said - lose\lose. If they broadcast the issue to all news outlets, they take an even bigger hit on their stock price. If they say nothing, everyone (including people in this thread) say they are covering up. If they only say what is required, you demand they say more.

They can't please everyone.

Frankly, the issue with the laptops seems to be with heat, and that falls squarely on the shoulders of both nVidia, and the laptop companies that aren't providing adequate cooling just because they can shave some of the cost off to make a higher profit on a "gaming" laptop.

Hey, i own stock in both ATi and nVidia. For my nVidia stock to go underwater, they would have to hit 2 bucks a share. Use this FUD as reason to buy what you want - I still make money off of you.

this is pathetic, all the ATi fanboys are just like "oh wow nVidia sucks nVidia is doomed, and all the nVidia fanboys are like "well it means nothing coming from charlie at the INQ"

well i don't care what happens.

this is pathetic, all the ATi fanboys are just like "oh wow nVidia sucks nVidia is doomed, and all the nVidia fanboys are like "well it means nothing coming from charlie at the INQ"

Over the past few years, I have owned 4 Nvidia cards and 5 ATI cards. So, I am absolutely not a fanboy. I buy the card that appears to be the best performance for the money at a given time. I say this first to give you some perspective on my next statement:

Charlie is an idiot. End of story.

If you don't care what happens, then that must make you an ATI fanboy. The last thing we need is less competition. The next last thing we needed was nVidia sweeping more shit under the rug.

so they rested on g80 laurels and came out with some sucky cards that fail prematurely. great

Lets timeline this for a second.

HP and dell report to nvidia that there are problems with G84 and G86 based laptop solutions, nvidia keeps quiet, but take a 200 million dollar earnings hit for what they say is future RMAs of these chips (understandable if there is a problem), HP and dell proceed to release bios patches to get the GPU fans up to 100% to attempt to prolong the problem. That part of the story is confirmed.

Then a week later, charlie makes a statement that ALL G84 and G86 based boards are bad, every single one of them was his wording, but their is to this point nothing to back that up, that failures on these boards are anything more than simple failures that every GPU maker experiences, and these chips have been out for over a year, so we would know if their was a problem by now.

Another week goes buy and charlie now says ALL G92 and G94 based desktop boards are faulty, again something that the enthusiast sector has not seen from these boards, failures at an abnormal rate (although nvidia is known for having more failures than ATi, but nothing ABNORMAL)

I mean what are the conditions that these boards will have to face in order to fail, 6 weeks of running at 110c+ ? because as far as I can tell, G92 and G94 boards aren't failing like that under normal use.

But their are people on here basically saying, because nvidia has said nothing about this (all they said was the story was BS, end of) that they must be guilty, and they are trying to cover it up.

So what? it isn't possible for someone to have a vendetta against nvidia and attempt to spread fud against them in some kind of ploy to drop their stock prices? The fact that someone said something, which NV denied automatically makes it true?

The billion dollar stock buyback seems kind of suspicious, and I don't know why NV would do it, but maybe its because they are attempting to save face in a tough time for them, and they don't want their stock dropping any lower? I mean I don't see AMD offering to buy back stocks when their in a jam. Some people just read too much into things.

Stock buy backs happen when the company is sitting on a pile of cash, and the stock is under valued. NV is not in trouble...long term but there could be a little more pain in the coming months.

Back