NVIDIA Founders Edition Cards - Yea or Nay? @ [H]

I can't make up my mind on whether to grab one or not. My EVGA Step-Up ends 6/11, so it may be a non issue since they told me 1080s may not be available for step-up even though they are for sale. I don't know if its worth spending the ~$100 to upgrade or pick up a 980ti when they drop in the $350 range. Im leaning towards the upgrade but i'm worried i'm getting sucked in to the hype/ooo its new and shiny.

ROFL, don't hold your breath on the hopes that 980ti's will be in the $350 range ever unless you buy one used in a few months. Nvidia has already stopped making them and will phase them out through attrition without dropping the price even remotely to that level. You may as well get a 1070 for that price and get better performance anyway, assuming the 1070 specs are correct.

My one real concern with these new cards is power throttling, as the 970 has been notoriously known for being power throttled.

So the 1080 is only going to use a single 8-pin power connector and TDP is 180W. I fear that lower power draw could potentially be a bottleneck. I understand it is 16nm FinFET and it is supposed to naturally have 2x better perf/watt, but I still don't know. A few of us might not care about our electricity bill (lol) and want to bump that 2.1 GHz up to 2.4 GHz but can't because the power delivery is already maxed out. It doesn't matter how good or bad your cooling is if you can't deliver enough juice for the OC. The interesting thing was seeing the difference in VRM design, number of VRM chips, using high end copper heat sinks on the VRMs, etc. The MSI cards probably did the best job on power delivery IMO vs some other vendors.

The slot (75W) + 8 pin (150W) should be able to do 225W total; but this should be fine for the 970 as well. A little research suggest that the 970 throttling has to do with some sort of power limit set in the card's bios/firmware.

Again it's not the money that really grinds my gears, it's that the only thing you get for that extra $100 is a card a month early. And people that wait a single month will get better hardware with better cooling for less.

Hasn't it always been this way though? Those who HAVE to have it first pay a markup.
Normally this is the vendors gouging you until the market saturates.
This time, NV is basically doing it themselves, making the money THEMSELVES, rather than the vendors. Maximizing earnings as their production ramps up to fulfill market demand.

Why is Nvidia involved in selling directly to consumers? That seems like more of a PITA than it's worth for them. I knew they support and sell Professional cards directly, but those are marked up. Even with the marked up founder edition, I wouldn't bother if I was Nvidia.

They've been doing it with the Titans.

If they can ramp up that sales network to encompass a couple more types of cards, why shouldn't they?
So, instead of selling OEMs the kits to build these things and making something less than the retail price of a card, why not simply sell the cards directly and make their MSRP. As long as it makes financial sense, it's a no-brainer.

It's just good business, they want a cut of their pie. They provide the filling for the pie, why not go all the way and reap the benefits?

Hasn't it always been this way though? Those who HAVE to have it first pay a markup.
When vendors gouge you at least get something for it-- better cooling, factory overclocks, and cherry-picked GPUs. This is literally a reference card.

So will AIB's have Founder Edition cards also? Usually in the past EVGA/MSI/ASUS all sold "reference" cooler cards, so what happens now?
This whole move is strange in my opinion, they really needed to explain it more in the presentation. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.
In the past I bought 780s and 980Ti's on launch day, but this year, I think I'm going to hold off for a while. May wait for the 1080Ti/Titan if those come around.

This is interesting:

"Following the announcement of first Pascal-based Geforce graphics cards, the GTX 1080 and the GTX 1070, Nvidia AiB (Add-in-Board) partners have announced their versions, all based on reference design, now known as Founders Edition. The list of partners that have so far announced reference versions include EVGA, Zotac, Gigabyte, Galax and Inno3D and all will share the same specifications as well as use the same new reference cooler".........

Partners announce their Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition

Exact same quality, will they cost $100 less than FE's?

This is interesting:

"Following the announcement of first Pascal-based Geforce graphics cards, the GTX 1080 and the GTX 1070, Nvidia AiB (Add-in-Board) partners have announced their versions, all based on reference design, now known as Founders Edition. The list of partners that have so far announced reference versions include EVGA, Zotac, Gigabyte, Galax and Inno3D and all will share the same specifications as well as use the same new reference cooler".........

I doubt they will be cheaper, I would guess the same 699 price.

This is interesting:

Same specs, but I doubt it would guarantee the same supply chain, component selection, PCB manufacturer, etc. They would likely have license to source their own contract manufacturing

If they are founder editions, I would assume they are bought fully assembled directly from Nvidia. So components should be up to Nvidia's standards. Same as with any of the reference versions before.

Any cards they produce that are not labeled "founder edition" could have any components installed per the AiB partner's selection. That's my opinion anyways.

The slot (75W) + 8 pin (150W) should be able to do 225W total; but this should be fine for the 970 as well. A little research suggest that the 970 throttling has to do with some sort of power limit set in the card's bios/firmware.

Actually the power was still being throttled while under custom BIOSes. Anyways we shall see.

If they are founder editions, I would assume they are bought fully assembled directly from Nvidia. So components should be up to Nvidia's standards. Same as with any of the reference versions before.

Any cards they produce that are not labeled "founder edition" could have any components installed per the AiB partner's selection. That's my opinion anyways.

That would make sense, I spent my childhood working in a family owned contract manufacturing environment sourcing components so it's a concern

will we have Super Clock Founder Edition from EVGA ?
By the very definition of Founders Edition, modifying the card in anyway from default specs makes it not a founder's edition. Founder's Edition IS the reference card.

The answer is NO. You will not get a Super Clocked Founder's Edition from EVGA. EVGA will likely offer a Super Clocked version of the 1080/1070 separately. Whether it will have a reference style cooler is a whole other issue.

In other words, EVGA could offer a Super Clocked 1080 with a reference style cooler. EVGA would not be allowed to call it a Founder's Edition. Since it is overclocked out of the box the warranty support would be through EVGA only, not Nvidia like the Founder's Edition.

I'm still scratching my head with this. Now if the card came with a 5-year warranty and they were binned for 2GHz, then sure, I can see $699 for the card. However, there's no warranty increase mentioned, the cards aren't binned, no guarantee of overclock, no new benefits other than "craftsmanship", no changes other than ITS JUST A NEW NAME FOR REFERENCE?

"Craftsmanship" my ass. This is leaving me with that metallic-taste in my mouth after licking a 9v battery....and I don't like it.

I'm still scratching my head with this. Now if the card came with a 5-year warranty and they were binned for 2GHz, then sure, I can see $699 for the card. However, there's no warranty increase mentioned, the cards aren't binned, no guarantee of overclock, no new benefits other than "craftsmanship", no changes other than ITS JUST A NEW NAME FOR REFERENCE?

"Craftsmanship" my ass. This is leaving me with that metallic-taste in my mouth after licking a 9v battery....and I don't like it.
And yet the reviews as well as complete specs have not been released yet........ We do not know whats coming and whats not........

Everyone so worked up over an unreleased card already. If its a scam when all is said and done, dont buy it. Pretty simple really.

This is interesting:

No. The listing for the EVGA version was posted on page 3 and it shows $699.99

And yet the reviews as well as complete specs have not been released yet........ We do not know whats coming and whats not........

Everyone so worked up over an unreleased card already. If its a scam when all is said and done, dont buy it. Pretty simple really.

And that's the main issue, that Nvidia has not clarified anything. They have created a lot of confusion and very little clarification or answers. Why even list the price then or tell people about the founder's edition?

Kyle was right...this seems like a last-minute strategy change on Nvidia's part and poorly executed.

These prices make me cringe a little at what Big Pascal prices will be.

GTX 980Ti [GM 200] reference release price - $649
GTX 1080 [GP 104] FE aka reference price - $699
GTX 1080Ti [GP 100??] reference price > $699 ??

Last edited:
And that's the main issue, that Nvidia has not clarified anything. They have created a lot of confusion and very little clarification or answers. Why even list the price then or tell people about the founder's edition?

Kyle was right...this seems like a last-minute strategy change on Nvidia's part and poorly executed.
Well, everyone wanted something. Everyone was begging for anything about new cards coming up. NV gives you something and you still complain.

Maybe I am just getting older. Shit will come out when it comes out. Many of us had a pretty good idea of when the cards would be released so I guess I just expected to know then (I figured about the time they are releasing them). I am pretty excited for the new cards but that the same time, ready to be disappointed. But the fact that everyone is complaining about stuff that has not been released yet is pretty ridiculous.

These prices make me cringe a little at what Big Pascal prices will be.

GTX 980Ti [GM 200] reference release price - $699
GTX 1080 [GP 104] FE aka reference price - $699
GTX 1080Ti [GP 100??] reference price > $699 ??

The GTX 980Ti reference release price was - $649, I bought 2 of them on release day when they came out.
So if you go by that (+50 increase), maybe the GTX 1080TI will be $749 :D

Wait, how can EVGA claim to have a Founders Edition? I thought only cards straight from nVidia could be labeled as FE's?

EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION - 08G-P4-6180-KR

Also, are there even going to be any 1080's released at the $599 msrp? I'm starting to highly doubt it.....
Read the article again... First paragraph under the "WTF is a Founders Edition" section on the first page:

...The Founders Edition cards are video cards built and sold by NVIDIA to its Add-In-Board partners, etailers and retailers such as Best Buy, and I was even told that soon NVIDIA will sell Founders Edition card directly to the end user through GeForce.com. (We will see if that comes to pass or not.)

It is straight from NV, EVGA is just selling it.

Seems strange, must be just to leverage their distribution channels/marketing/customer base. I could see them using the Nvidia schematic and using their own parts, leveraging their procurement deals, but I guess this is making the vendors use Nvidia tech with a smaller profit margin

EDIT: after your last announcment i guess it's confirmed they are all Nvidia-made-born-produced-distributed

Well, everyone wanted something. Everyone was begging for anything about new cards coming up. NV gives you something and you still complain.

Maybe I am just getting older. Shit will come out when it comes out. Many of us had a pretty good idea of when the cards would be released so I guess I just expected to know then (I figured about the time they are releasing them). I am pretty excited for the new cards but that the same time, ready to be disappointed. But the fact that everyone is complaining about stuff that has not been released yet is pretty ridiculous.

Nvidia gave everyone a confusing introduction to their new tiered system for their cards. This isn't about Pascal, or the performance, or even really the price if the benefits are there. Everyone knew new cards would come out this year. Its about Nvidia's new marketing strategy and failure to convey the "value" of the Founders Edition other than just "CRAFTSMANSHIP". They should have just left that out and not even released a price, or maybe should have done just a price "range". From my recollection of the past 10 years, this is completely different than what they've done before. They should have a lot of answers to the questions about this strategy. IMO, they completely messed this one up.

I feel like I'm out on vacation, and an 80-yr old fart is trying to sell me a wooden spoon he's whittled that morning while sitting on his front porch rocker, all the while yelling to me "Its CRAFTMANSHIP!"

Now, I probably will buy into Pascal regardless since I'm looking for a replacement for my aging GTX 680 SLI setup. But regardless, this is poor execution for the Founders Edition. If it weren't, I wouldn't be posting and this thread wouldn't have existed.

This time, NV is basically doing it themselves, making the money THEMSELVES, rather than the vendors. Maximizing earnings as their production ramps up to fulfill market demand.

Plus the retailers markup. These could be selling for $800 at launch. $200 over msrp.

The GTX 980Ti reference release price was - $649, I bought 2 of them on release day when they came out.
So if you go by that (+50 increase), maybe the GTX 1080TI will be $749 :D

Corrected! Brain farted. Still, $749...arrg

Hasn't all reference cards been built by Nvidia and sold to AIB partners i.e. GTX 980 / TI / past, at the start. Nothing new has changed other than paying $100 more for what you already got in the past without a premium price (known).

Brainwashing with marketing, but oh no I getting craftsmanship now.

Dude, all they are doing is positioning their reference design as a premium product. The overclocked versions with quieter coolers will still be available, and at a lower price.

Did you buy a reference design before? I never have, so the impact to me is 0

Dude, all they are doing is positioning their reference design as a premium product. The overclocked versions with quieter coolers will still be available, and at a lower price.

Did you buy a reference design before? I never have, so the impact to me is 0
Yes but the fallout of this strategy is yet to be seen; could be positive or bad.
The benefit of the reference pricing in the past could be said it discouraged AIBs charging too much, the downside was the reference design was not manufactured for the whole life of the product.
Now the lower price is MSRP, so only a manufacturer suggested retail price.
Time will tell if they up their own custom AIB prices closer to the reference FE and we do not see any at the MSRP.

So there are positives for those that may want to buy identical cards later down the road, but possibly downside for those more interested in custom AIBs at competitive pricing.
Cheers

If this craftsmanship has any meaning, Nvidia should put their money where their mouth is. Considering all partners have ceased lifetime warranty, for the 100 dollar premium, consumers should be getting atleast that or something close to it, a 6 year warranty or double industry standards.

If the craftsmanship is truly there, then this doesn't cost Nvidia a thing. If it just for show, then well, its a scam tax and they will be paying for it later.

When vendors gouge you at least get something for it-- better cooling, factory overclocks, and cherry-picked GPUs. This is literally a reference card.

You DO get something for it.

You get the card, built as NV intended it.

You're getting it earlier than the AIB cards.

You're getting a card that's ALREADY doing phenomenal for performance and OC on its own.

And you're getting it directly from NV.

If the card and price point don't happen to be your cup of tea, wait until the AIBs put out a card more to your liking.

Seriously, this is coming across as butt-hurt.

Seriously, this is coming across as butt-hurt.
I am a bit butt-hurt, because spending an extra $100 for an inferior card is the only way to get it a month early. It's a bummer. I'm not crying in my cheerios, but yeah, it sucks.

Could be longer, could be shorter. Certainly won't be in May-- that much is confirmed.

If they cost the same, would you buy reference of wait for factory over clocked?

Back