Nvidia: Few PCs Capable Of Powering Oculus Rift

Linux, high power stream box, stream vr box.. Might as well go with the htc vive... Having used vr with the nexus 6 and liked it a lot...how low end that experience must be compared to occulus or vive, has me considering burning some credit cards heheh

It's not the resolution that's the problem with the VR stuff, it's that the frame rate target for vr games/experiences is 90fps to help achieve "Presence", as they call it, (basically the combo of low latency and smoothness) necessary to make the VR effect work for more than a few minutes at a time without inducing motion sickness.

That's going to be a challenge for even higher end current systems.

Also, VR doesn't work great with SLI/Crossfire, while they may be great on monitor, it introduces artifacts and latency that mess up the VR (dx12 and HBM might help a bit though), even when Occulus is showing off their stuff, the current "best case" hardware setup they use is a single 980ti.

Only time will tell... I once hated 3d on home theater. I was using a 2012/2013 Panasonic VT series which is fairly high end. The mild flicker gave me motion sickness. Recently went with the Samsung flagship JS9500 and cannot explain what a difference it made (still active just better), to the point I recently bought at least 15 3d Blu Rays to "experience". I hope they can work out some of the issues before commercial release. I'm using basically the optimal setup. I can wait a few months though to make sure and decide between the Vive and OR as long as it is properly functioning.

Yeah, I'm not particularly worried. Software will prompt serious users to upgrade their hardware.

Not if it costs thousands of dollars, it won't.

VR will remain little more than a niche unless the console makers start pushing it.

Except what console maker or current generation console could eve come close to pushing it?

Maybe the next Nintendo will have a heads up on VR when ever that console is released. So we are looking at years for the console to really support I do believe vice just a short fad.

I thought Liquid VR from AMD was to enable much smoother eye to eye rendering with dual GPU's and up. Any evidence of this or is it all talk and no real show? Plus Nvidia has something similar I do believe (now I wonder which one actually works :D ).

Except what console maker or current generation console could eve come close to pushing it?

The console games will be built for it. Lets take the new Ace Combat as an example. Apparently the gameplay will heavily revolve around clouds obscuring vision/radar, likely to mask short draw distances and tiny sections of terrian. I don't think they'll be able to maintain large maps with 100+ units with VR. In other words, gimmick games. Or it will drastically lower graphics quality. Enable VR, graphics essentially get toggled to a low end setting.

PCs on the other hand don't have to make sacrifices, but games designed for VR first and foremost will likely be built with gimmicky gameplay in mind. Though there will always games that use VR to enhance the experience, like DCS and Elite Dangerous.

It's not the resolution that's the problem with the VR stuff, it's that the frame rate target for vr games/experiences is 90fps to help achieve "Presence".

Also, VR doesn't work great with SLI/Crossfire, while they may be great on monitor, it introduces artifacts and latency.
Yes, this has been brought up before in VR topics. People seem to gloss over the fact that VR needs a locked, high refresh rate and multi-GPU is currently the only way to provide such frames. However, due to the reasons you mentioned (and others like lack of developer and vendor support), multi-GPU is not well suited for VR applications. I understand there's always the option to turn graphical settings down, but who is going to spend thousands on a headset and a powerful rig to drive it only to play at console-level details?

So having used the ones you could buy for four hundred dollars to play ccp fighter mmo they are working on... what it seems like is two screens that render close to your eyes. To create artificial depth all you need to tell eye the distance is different... they used to do it with red and green lines and filter to block half the lines on each eye, couldn't that just be done with fxaa or the amd version?
Personally I always wonder what else your seeing with those devices that is simply slow enough to register but too fast to understand what you are seeing or for your brain to do anything but react to it?

Maybe the next Nintendo will have a heads up on VR when ever that console is released. So we are looking at years for the console to really support I do believe vice just a short fad.

I thought Liquid VR from AMD was to enable much smoother eye to eye rendering with dual GPU's and up. Any evidence of this or is it all talk and no real show? Plus Nvidia has something similar I do believe (now I wonder which one actually works :D ).

You'd be surprised what competent programming can do.

The biggest problem that I have with PC gaming these days is that "you need to upgrade your hardware" is used as an excuse for piss poor programming.

I'd be interested in an Oculus Rift, but it is a little on the expensive side.

My question wod be, what is title support like?

If there are tons of interesting titles, I'd be interested in trying it out. If there are just a few boutique titles with poorly maintained special patches, then I'll just say "No Thanks"

Zarathustra[H];1042080349 said:
I'd be interested in an Oculus Rift, but it is a little on the expensive side.

My question wod be, what is title support like?

If there are tons of interesting titles, I'd be interested in trying it out. If there are just a few boutique titles with poorly maintained special patches, then I'll just say "No Thanks"

It seems like every developer working on one platform plans to support them all. SONY appears to have a lot of titles in development so unless they are exclusives, those also fall in line, though maybe after being on PS4 first. For PC gaming, I believe that you can play Nvidia 3d vision titles worth stereoscopic mode but without head tracking. This is on top of whatever games have been announced specifically on each platform.

It seems like every developer working on one platform plans to support them all. SONY appears to have a lot of titles in development so unless they are exclusives, those also fall in line, though maybe after being on PS4 first. For PC gaming, I believe that you can play Nvidia 3d vision titles worth stereoscopic mode but without head tracking. This is on top of whatever games have been announced specifically on each platform.

Even with that said, I expect most support to be kind of simple and basic to be honest.

It will be like how games supported the Kinnect for awhile by just tossing in some minor thing like you can use voice commands.

The main issue will be trying to make something that can be played both with and without VR and take full advantage of the VR aspect without just being you move your head and get the exact same control as if you moved the mouse on your pc. If you duck, it needs to duck, if you move your head it needs to move its head. To become fully brought into the VR world there will be things that don't map very well to non VR. Kind of like the movies created for VR where you can look all around you and see things as if you are sitting right there in the shot and it is real. you see somebody come running from your left to your right, things are happening behind you... That can't really be mapped to a non VR experience.

I don't see many triple A titles being credited to that degree. You might have a few neat titles (don't stop talking and nobody explodes looks like it would be a blast to play), and some interesting indy games that are platform specific, but I wouldn't expect to see a lot of major games that are VR only until the technology becomes more popular and widespread where it makes it profitable to make VR only games as opposed to we are going to map a few simple functions to VR and not actually change anything in the game.

Even with that said, I expect most support to be kind of simple and basic to be honest.

It will be like how games supported the Kinnect for awhile by just tossing in some minor thing like you can use voice commands.

The main issue will be trying to make something that can be played both with and without VR and take full advantage of the VR aspect without just being you move your head and get the exact same control as if you moved the mouse on your pc. If you duck, it needs to duck, if you move your head it needs to move its head. To become fully brought into the VR world there will be things that don't map very well to non VR. Kind of like the movies created for VR where you can look all around you and see things as if you are sitting right there in the shot and it is real. you see somebody come running from your left to your right, things are happening behind you... That can't really be mapped to a non VR experience.

I don't see many triple A titles being credited to that degree. You might have a few neat titles (don't stop talking and nobody explodes looks like it would be a blast to play), and some interesting indy games that are platform specific, but I wouldn't expect to see a lot of major games that are VR only until the technology becomes more popular and widespread where it makes it profitable to make VR only games as opposed to we are going to map a few simple functions to VR and not actually change anything in the game.
I don't think it takes too much, adding just free look to most first person games is enough to really make it immersive. I doubt Eve Valkyrie is much more than that tbh. That by itself is a pretty good enhancement. Touch / motion controllers are the next step but they'll need to be optional since the games need to work with non-VR setups. Adventure / Action RPG and FPS type games seem to be low hanging fruit from the developer side. I'm sure devs will wait for more units before committing to VR only experiences, but that doesn't make a headset today any less fun. Especially if you don't have as much time to game as you get older, when i play a game, i want it to be really good. Just a couple great ones a year and i'm content, i haven't played even a fraction of my Steam Library in 2D even though lots of them are very well reviewed. Besides, VR also makes for some compelling short experiences too, as i've seen with my Gear VR. I expect most VR only games to be short experiences / indy titles for the next 2 years.

In other news expert warns that next Corvette will be huge flop due to very low towing capacity. "I don't think people realize that just how little towing capacity the next generation Corvette has" said the expert. He went on to say "Customers will likely find very little reason to purchase the vehicle in light of this over sight".

Yes, that's the very reason I did not buy a Bugatti Cheron. Not only did it not have adequate towing capacity, I could not even find a trailer hitch for it.
Luckily, I did find a 5th wheel set up for my La Ferrari, though. Wish this expert had warned me about the lack of NVME support on my Commodore 64.

Yes, that's the very reason I did not buy a Bugatti Cheron. Not only did it not have adequate towing capacity, I could not even find a trailer hitch for it.
Luckily, I did find a 5th wheel set up for my La Ferrari, though. Wish this expert had warned me about the lack of NVME support on my Commodore 64.

Q9db7Mb_d.jpg

Brah.

Back