Nvidia expresses interest in SoftBank's chip company Arm Holdings: Bloomberg News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the thing is we don't know yet how Intel will perform at 7 nm. Just like their 10nm parts, they may lose a big chunk of their clock advantage they enjoy on a very very refined 14nm process and then be even further behind AMD who will be on 5nm+ by then. Personally I don't see Intel ever regaining a meaningful advantage over AMD, those days are long over. Their distinct foundry advantage became a huge disadvantage and now they are a vassal of TSMC as well. In fact, being fabless seems to be the way to go now since you mentioned Apple. Then look at NVIDIAs success, they're fabless and gaining traction with a bigger market cap than Intel so despite AMD going fabless because of financial circumstances, it seems to be the smart bet for the future. Not every high technology company really needs fabs since they can contract out now between Samsung and TSMC who will happily keep building more foundries to accommodate them.

IMO, Intel just looks like an old rotting ship riding on past success and old marketshare. That share can and will erode and it won't be decades like someone foolishly suggested earlier in this thread, technology leadership and marketshare can change very quickly. We're at an inflection point now where even the most stubborn IT administrator at large corporations won't be able to justify an Intel server despite all the Intel kickbacks.
Well given that Intel is using TSMC to offset their own 7nm line with TSMC's 5nm because their (Intel's) yields are too low to successfully pull off their DoE contract would indicate that their processes or at least results are similar enough that they could make it work within spec. And while being fabless does have some strong advantages in this current environment that wasn't always the case and may not be in the future, Samsung is struggling with their 7nm production TSMC is currently on track for their 5, but they are running full blast and their new fab's aren't coming online till 2022 or later. Lots could happen in that time, and if China's restrictions get lifted in the near future you could very well see AMD's production time table getting pushed back.

Bump

SoftBank Nears $40 Billion Deal to Sell Arm Holdings to Nvidia

SoftBank Group Corp. is nearing a deal to sell British chip designer Arm Holdings to Nvidia Corp. for more than $40 billion, according to people familiar with the matter, the latest in a series of big asset sales by the Japanese technology conglomerate.

The cash-and-stock deal being discussed would value Arm in the low $40 billions, the people said. The terms under discussion would mark a big win for SoftBank, which bought Arm four years ago for $32 billion and had struggled to jump-start growth in the business.

Arm and Nvidia have been in exclusive talks for several weeks and a deal could be sealed early next week, the people said -- assuming it's not derailed at the last minute.

Arm designs microprocessors that power most of the world's smartphones. By joining forces with Nvidia, the combined company would be a powerhouse in the chip industry.

If this goes through, with their recent Mellanox acquisition, they're gonna be unstoppable in the datacenter market. My stock likes this.

Bump

SoftBank Nears $40 Billion Deal to Sell Arm Holdings to Nvidia

If this goes through, with their recent Mellanox acquisition, they're gonna be unstoppable in the datacenter market. My stock likes this.

The thing is they don't need to buy ARM holding for that. They can make all the ARM chips they want form now until the end of time, and it wouldn't cost them more than the interest on 40 Billion dollars.

I suppose if most of this is stock swap, then sure,it's effectively "free", and NVidia stock has been on a tear.

They might actually want the CPU design talent.

Maybe NVidia thinks they can combine the ARM CPU team with in current in-house expertise, to make a total x86 killer for desktop, and push the Windows market to ARM as well, and then they will eventually own the Desktop CPU, Mobile CPU and Server CPU market, and get royalties on all it.

Along with selling top end ARM CPUs/APUs/SoCs for fat margins.

Hurts to be everyone else in this scenario.

This is set to soften SoftBank's massive WeWork failed investment

"NVIDIA to Acquire Arm for $40 Billion, Creating World’s Premier Computing Company for the Age of AI" -- https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/...-company-for-the-age-of-ai?ncid=so-face-68622

SoftBank lost over 40 billion on WeWork:

"SoftBank values WeWork at $2.9 billion, down from $47 billion a year ago" -- https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/18/sof...olish-valuation-falls-to-2point9-billion.html

I'm happy to see this, congrats to NVIDIA!

This is set to soften SoftBank's massive WeWork failed investment

"NVIDIA to Acquire Arm for $40 Billion, Creating World’s Premier Computing Company for the Age of AI" -- https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/...-company-for-the-age-of-ai?ncid=so-face-68622

SoftBank lost over 40 billion on WeWork:

"SoftBank values WeWork at $2.9 billion, down from $47 billion a year ago" -- https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/18/sof...olish-valuation-falls-to-2point9-billion.html

Suddenly 9:30 am EST tomorrow is looking like Christmas

what investments you got

Nvidia is probably 40% of my portfolio. Was 75%, but I just sold some of it when it was at $525 recently before all tech sector dropped and made other acquisitions with the money. I got in initially at $25 a share. Daddy Jensen's been good to me.

Other than that I've got holdings in Barrick Gold, Nextera Energy (this is my other heavyweight winner along with Nvidia), and a few dividend stocks to put more play money in my account. And I own a little bit of everyone's favorite meme stocks, Apple and Tesla.

Nvidia is probably 40% of my portfolio. Was 75%, but I just sold some of it when it was at $525 recently before all tech sector dropped and made other acquisitions with the money. I got in initially at $25 a share. Daddy Jensen's been good to me.

Other than that I've got holdings in Barrick Gold, Nextera Energy (this is my other heavyweight winner along with Nvidia), and a few dividend stocks. And a little bit of everyone's favorite meme stocks, Apple and Tesla.
do you think SofrBank or NVIDIA will go up from this deal?

Other than that I've got holdings in Barrick Gold, Nextera Energy (this is my other heavyweight winner along with Nvidia), and a few dividend stocks to put more play money in my account. And I own a little bit of everyone's favorite meme stocks, Apple and Tesla.
do you think SofrBank or NVIDIA will go up from this deal?

I'd obviously like to think Nvidia will, because of what this means for a streamlined data center product for them. But this news was also what led to some of their post-corona climb, when rumors of talks between the two were making the rounds. But money has no where to go to earn interest now but the markets, so priced in news can double on the rumor and the news nowadays.

SoftBank lost 40b on WeWork, so this is them recouping costs IMO. Plus news of their recent tech options play that partly helped tech sector sell off recently was weird. I wouldn't count on them gaining much, but the markets are crazy since corona every which way and I'm just not at that particular black jack table.

So how many of you would buy a NVIDIA NFORCE motherboard with a 16 core ARM CPU that runs on a custom Windows ARM build where Steam/Origin/Epic/Activision have committed to porting games directly to ARM while MS runs an emulation layer to bring over x86 apps? I think I'd jump on it right away and ditch x86 provided the ARM CPU can at least match Ryzen. I hope this someday becomes a possibility and we can break free of the x86 duopoly. I hope MS starts integrating NVIDIA GPU tech with their Surface line in the short term.

Last edited:
I assume you are half-joking, not sure that would be a great outcome. But, depending on how things play out, it could happen.

Although ARM is typically used in mobile, it's a full on CPU architecture, and could certainly work for PC given proper developer support.

We'll have to see what happens with Apple, or with the Surface maybe MS will experiment a bit before going "all-in" like Apple plans to.

I assume you are half-joking, not sure that would be a great outcome. But, depending on how things play out, it could happen.

Although ARM is typically used in mobile, it's a full on CPU architecture, and could certainly work for PC given proper developer support.

We'll have to see what happens with Apple, or with the Surface maybe MS will experiment a bit before going "all-in" like Apple plans to.

We have to recognize that most of the Windows market, is a laptop market, and I don't think Microsoft is ever backing down from Windows on ARM.

They are going to keep at it, while ARM SoCs keep getting better. Eventually they are going to start getting it right, at least in laptops.

It's a matter of when, not if. Jensen said one the things that will change is speeding up the roadmap. That makes when sooner.

So soon enough Windows ARM laptops will take off, and when that happens more native software will follow,and eventually desktops and games will follow.

But you have to walk before you can run, we will see laptops for a while before there are desktops.

Not joking but just dreaming. I hope Apple can drive publishers to port full x86 games to their MacBook (provided it has the gpu power) and eventually nvidia can capitalize on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back