Nvidia Expands G-Sync Support to Approved Adaptive Sync Monitors

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
At CES 2019, Nvidia announced that they're expanding G-Sync support to a handful of FreeSync and Adaptive Sync compatible monitors. In order to "improve the experience for gamers," Nvidia is testing monitor compatibility on a case-by-case basis, and only enables VRR support in the drivers once the monitor has passed their validation tests. Fortunately, there's a switch in the driver control panel to enable VRR support on untested monitors, the company says "G-SYNC Compatible" monitors will support VRR on both 2000 and 1000 series GPUs. For "the most demanding gamers," Nvidia also announced a separate G-SYNC Ultimate HDR standard. Monitors that carry this branding have to pass a rigorous certification process that includes " 300 tests for image quality," and will feature "a full refresh rate range from 1 Hz to the display panel's maximum rate, plus other advantages like variable overdrive, refresh rate overclocking, ultra-low motion blur display modes and industry-leading HDR with 1,000 nits, full matrix backlight and DCI-P3 color."

Support for G-SYNC Compatible monitors will begin Jan. 15 with the launch of our first 2019 Game Ready driver. Already, 12 monitors have been validated as G-SYNC Compatible (from the 400 we have tested so far). We'll continue to test monitors and update our support list. For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we’ll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too.

At CES 2019, Nvidia announced that they're expanding G-Sync support to a handful of FreeSync and Adaptive Sync compatible monitors. In order to "improve the experience for gamers," Nvidia is testing monitor compatibility on a case-by-case basis, and only enables VRR support in the drivers once the monitor has passed their validation tests. Fortunately, there's a switch in the driver control panel to enable VRR support on untested monitors, the company says "G-SYNC Compatible" monitors will support VRR on both 2000 and 1000 series GPUs. For "the most demanding gamers," Nvidia also announced a separate G-SYNC Ultimate HDR standard. Monitors that carry this branding have to pass a rigorous certification process that includes " 300 tests for image quality," and will feature "a full refresh rate range from 1 Hz to the display panel's maximum rate, plus other advantages like variable overdrive, refresh rate overclocking, ultra-low motion blur display modes and industry-leading HDR with 1,000 nits, full matrix backlight and DCI-P3 color."

Support for G-SYNC Compatible monitors will begin Jan. 15 with the launch of our first 2019 Game Ready driver. Already, 12 monitors have been validated as G-SYNC Compatible (from the 400 we have tested so far). We'll continue to test monitors and update our support list. For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we’ll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too.
G-SYNC Ultimate HDR is just their new branding to delineate Adaptive-Sync support, with the former still including the FPGA in the display as with the PG27UQ and PG65. I think it was a smart move.

Am I reading this right? Is Nvidia about to do something that appears to be pro-consumer?

Reactions: ktos2
like this
This is the latest PhysX. nVidia invests in lock ins, but they don't work.
Huh?

Nvidia have been annoying lately in too many ways.
But this 'looks' to be a great move even if they were forced in this direction.
They dont need to provide an option to allow any VRR display to try the tech but they are.

Their Gsync HDR series displays are missing a trick though.
They should push at least 2000nits to be the best of.

I can't wait to test VRR with my Samsung 32 inch HDR monitor and see what a beautiful train wreck it will be! If by some miracle the train rolls smoothly I will report back... Maybe we need someone with more time than me to start a thread tracking how VRR works on non approved monitors.

Well I am hoping at least one of my two FreeSync monitors Nvidia will support VRR. That has been the biggest downfall for me with the 1080 Ti's. Good news.

Hmm. This does sound good. As long as they don't gimp VRR somehow for non certified monitors "to protect consumers".

I'm pretty happy with my sammy 4k 40" TV I'm using as my monitor. I need another TV in size range for a bedroom.

If this tests out well, I might repurpose my current TV, no vrr on it I think, and look for one with VRR support.

I'm not surprised. HDMI 2.1 supports VRR, what is the point of having g-sync when Monitor/Video card supports the new standard?

Its the marketing.

Its not really free-sync, that is AMDs certification. Most "freesync" monitors are really just VRR and do not have a wide enough range to be called freesync. Some are just 48-60hz...

It looks like nvidia is just enabling VRR on all outputs (because soon they will have to once hdmi 2.1 drops), and "certifying" the monitors that will VRR from 1hz-MAX which is what it takes to meet g-sync standards. I would be happy even if the monitor only when down to 24hz.

Lets get to brass taxes here...

Does this mean all Freesync monitors will "work" at variable refresh rate on NVidia video cards? I put "work" in quotes as I mean this in the broadest terms possible. Like, I am not saying that if the panels strobes, then it doesnt work, etc...

Does this mean all Freesync monitors will "work" at variable refresh rate on NVidia video cards? I put "work" in quotes as I mean this in the broadest terms possible. Like, I am not saying that if the panels strobes, then it doesnt work, etc...

After reading the article there is like 12 specific models that are getting support.

• Acer XFA240
  • Acer XG270HU
  • Acer XV273K
  • Acer XZ321Q
  • Agon AG241QG4
  • AOC G2590FX
  • Asus MG278Q
  • Asus VG258Q
  • Asus VG278Q
  • Asus XG248
  • Asus XG258
  • BenQ XL2740

Too bad my BenQ XL2540 isn't in the list but if it can be turned on anyway unofficially shouldn't matter, quite suprised by this move. For me personally won't matter that much as I simply prefer running 144Hz + BenQ Blur Reduction (strobing) on mine (prefer it over 240Hz non-strobed for better contrast/image quality and smoother motion)

Brass tacks.

The 12 tested are more or less "guaranteed" to work to NVIDIA's "standards".

For the rest...
"There are hundreds of monitor models available capable of variable refresh rates (VRR) using the VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. However, the VRR gaming experience can vary widely."

Can someone please check Hell? I think it just froze over.

not yet.. remember this is nvidia we're talking about.. until there is legitimate proof then maybe but until then it's just a hollow promise. after all this is the same company that broke mixed refresh rate multi-display support so i expect there to be plenty of loop holes just to be able to use VRR.

And don't forget, they are giving us the option to manually enable it on unsupported monitors as well.

Experience may vary, but at least it's not model lockout.

Brass tacks.

The 12 tested are more or less "guaranteed" to work to NVIDIA's "standards".

For the rest...
"There are hundreds of monitor models available capable of variable refresh rates (VRR) using the VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. However, the VRR gaming experience can vary widely."

oops.. That taxes was a freudian slip as its tax season... :)

And thanks for the confirmation. Thats exactly the information I was looking for..

It'll be interesting to see how this compares to "true" G-Sync. No variable overdrive and VRR still only goes down to 30-48Hz for the "G-Sync Compatible" monitors, so it'll still be a sub-standard option. But hey, definitely better than nothing!

It'll be interesting to see how this compares to "true" G-Sync. No variable overdrive and VRR still only goes down to 30-48Hz for the "G-Sync Compatible" monitors, so it'll still be a sub-standard option. But hey, definitely better than nothing!

Those panels will most likely do the same thing AMD does with LFC, frame double if the frame drops below the minimum refresh rate of the panel.

My understanding is that VRR can be turned on for any monitor. Now, some won't work at all, some will work somewhat (now branded g-sync monitor), others will be certified to work across the VRR spectrum (to be branded g-sync certified) and finally the monitors with the g-sync hardware built in that can do the VRR and other things like HDR (to be branded g-sync ultimate).

Now, is nVidia giving us a gift? Well, not exactly IMHO. They can see what AMD will be able to do this year and if AMD does get a well performing 7nm card out at a sub 400 dollar price, the FreeSync monitor cost savings over the original g-sync will put the nVidia solution well out of line price-wise from AMD. This will result in the majority of people going Team RED. nVidia cannot afford to lose marketshare at this juncture with their stock price under attack. I believe it is this threat by investors that is driving this new solution.

Whatever the reason, I applaud this move.

Huh, we'll my Sammy GF70 has been running great on adaptive since I unboxed it..... Is this supposed to be better? Next to a gsync monitor I couldn't tell the diff so I got the better looking one :)

Am I reading this right? Is Nvidia about to do something that appears to be pro-consumer?

More it is simply bending to market inevitability. HDMI 2.1 specifies a VRR standard, it isn't a mandatory part of the spec, but it is something likely to be widely implemented. VRR support is already a thing in a number of high end TVs and it works with the AMD chips used in the consoles. Well if nVidia keeps insisting on only supporting VRR when their Gsync module is present, they are going to find a shrinking percentage of displays that support it and that'll leave them at a competitive disadvantage. After all they don't want to be in a situation where AMD is able to blithely advertise that they are FULLY HDMI 2.1 compliant and work with all these TVs on the market where as nVidia doesn't.

After reading the article there is like 12 specific models that are getting support.

• Acer XFA240
  • Acer XG270HU
  • Acer XV273K
  • Acer XZ321Q
  • Agon AG241QG4
  • AOC G2590FX
  • Asus MG278Q
  • Asus VG258Q
  • Asus VG278Q
  • Asus XG248
  • Asus XG258
  • BenQ XL2740
Actually, those monitors will have the feauture turned on by default. But you can manually enable it with any screen even ones that supposedly failed their QC test.

The writing is on the wall for G-sync. HDMI 2.1 is going to make it irrelevant. All monitors and TVs will have open standard adaptive syncing going forward. In a couple of years G-sync will be as relevant as PhysX.

My understanding is that VRR can be turned on for any monitor. Now, some won't work at all, some will work somewhat (now branded g-sync monitor), others will be certified to work across the VRR spectrum (to be branded g-sync certified) and finally the monitors with the g-sync hardware built in that can do the VRR and other things like HDR (to be branded g-sync ultimate).

Now, is nVidia giving us a gift? Well, not exactly IMHO. They can see what AMD will be able to do this year and if AMD does get a well performing 7nm card out at a sub 400 dollar price, the FreeSync monitor cost savings over the original g-sync will put the nVidia solution well out of line price-wise from AMD. This will result in the majority of people going Team RED. nVidia cannot afford to lose marketshare at this juncture with their stock price under attack. I believe it is this threat by investors that is driving this new solution.

Whatever the reason, I applaud this move.

Sure, all those people with money spent on G-Sync monitors are going to shelve their displays and their current NVidia cards for this? You need to pass the bowl mate, and give your buddies the extra hits you been hogging.

Anyone currently running 1070 Ti cards or better with money invested in 1 or more G-Sync monitors is not going to feel any need to "upgrade" to anything at all in the next year or more. Not unless they just can't stand not doing a refresh just for the hell of it.

The writing is on the wall for G-sync. HDMI 2.1 is going to make it irrelevant. All monitors and TVs will have open standard adaptive syncing going forward. In a couple of years G-sync will be as relevant as PhysX.

I think it's appropriate to remember that what this actually amounts to is that things will finally be getting done the way they always should have been done. The concept that the card should sync to the monitor's refresh rate was flawed from the very beginning. It always should have been the other way around with monitors adjusting to what the display cards can manage.

And it's only taken us 30+ years to get there. That's progress (y)

Back