NVIDIA Engineer Uses Deep Learning To Keep Cats From Pooping On His Lawn

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who says you have to use deep learning for super scientific stuff? Sometimes you can just use it to keep cats from pooping on your lawn. :D

So NVIDIA engineer Robert Bond is using deep learning — and our Jetson TX1 development platform — to recognize cats and turn on his home’s sprinkler system to gently shoo the visitors away. “My wife is a gardener and she likes her garden to be tidy and clean,” says Bond, 65, a system software engineer who has been at NVIDIA for more than eight years.

We have two solutions out here. One is the .22 step program, it's self explanatory. The second is the routine maintenance program, where in coolant is changed frequently and left out in Tupperware containers for kitty num-nums.

Both are effective against raccoons as well.

The .338 step program has proven too expensive for pests and really quite messy.

Also, my neighbours find the .338 step program to be utterly terrifying.

We have two solutions out here. One is the .22 step program, it's self explanatory. The second is the routine maintenance program, where in coolant is changed frequently and left out in Tupperware containers for kitty num-nums.

The .338 step program has proven too expensive for pests and really quite messy.

Congrats, you shoot people's cats/dogs with a .338.

Cats don't poop on lawns. That would be dogs and raccoons.

I have to second this, cats don't poop on lawns, they poop on flower beds, in sandboxes and other places with loose soil, sand or gravel.

My cat only poops in his litter box, or else.

The second is the routine maintenance program, where in coolant is changed frequently and left out in Tupperware containers for kitty num-nums.

Welp, the username checks out...

Also, people get arrested for that shit around here. There are more effective ways of maintaining/reducing feral animal populations, this is just a band-aid with no long-lasting effects. Plus you end up cleaning up carcasses, but I guess if maybe you're into that...?

wow.. I could have done the same thing with the Raspberry PI - lol.

Wonder if this is in California. Running the sprinkles on unauthorized days could result in a large fine.

If this is all true, it's a bit disturbing that you seem to enjoy hurting these animals regardless if you deem them 'pests' or not.

Would you like some Lapua with your meal?

If this is all true, it's a bit disturbing that you seem to enjoy hurting these animals regardless if you deem them 'pests' or not.

Probably reading too much into that to be honest. Also, if you haven't shot a pest or simply trapping a rat and havent had that feeling of accomplishment then you might just be numb.

I'm not a person that sees torturing animals as a good thing. At the same time, I also rarely place great value on their lives unless they actually perform great service to our own lives. So a rat belongs in a humane trap, meaning it kills them really fast, a deer is best mixed with pork for sausage, your Chihuahua is OK as long as you love him and he doesn't shit in my yard, and someone's seeing eye dog deserves some real respect.

Hey, I am Homo Sapien centric, sue me :cool:

I'm not a person that sees torturing animals as a good thing. At the same time, I also rarely place great value on their lives unless they actually perform great service to our own lives. So a rat belongs in a humane trap, meaning it kills them really fast, a deer is best mixed with pork for sausage, your Chihuahua is OK as long as you love him and he doesn't shit in my yard, and someone's seeing eye dog deserves some real respect.

Hey, I am Homo Sapien centric, sue me :cool:
haha! well said.

I got a few muskrats eating the pond banks out back and as cute as they are hopping around, I will trash talk them like a COD player if I get one of them! Neighbors might think me strange though calling a muskrats mother names though.

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
haha! well said.

I got a few muskrats eating the pond banks out back and as cute as they are hopping around, I will trash talk them like a COD player if I get one of them! Neighbors might think me strange though calling a muskrats mother names though.

I want the video of you T-Baggin that bitch after you shoot him :ROFLMAO:

The coolant trick doesn't work anymore, ever since they added that nasty bitterant to it. You need to mix it in with food to make it work.

Trust me, I know these things.

And so did the ex-wife...

...just before she went missing.

I like Howard Stern Wack Packer Bigfoot's method of getting a neighbor's cat to stop shitting in his yard's bushes.

Man uses video card to realize he needs a dog in his front yard. Um. OK. How about you guys skip the AI and put the fucking SLI connector back on the 1060!!!

Quick and effective solution, except then you have a dog to take care of. What about some kind of robotic dog?

Or maybe just take the stray to the pound. Poop goes with stray. Problem solved. Otherwise show owner recording of cat pooping and demand cleanup or call the police over and over and over. Poisoning or shooting the animal doing what it does naturally is pretty fucked up. In my opinion.

If only deep learning like that help keep unauthorized people out of certain workplaces.

Tough to teach animals to leave your stuff alone.

I have a gravel yard and cats do poop in it. No dogs are jumping my fence to poop in my yard. Maybe ninja stunt dogs though... :ninja:

I have to second this, cats don't poop on lawns, they poop on flower beds, in sandboxes and other places with loose soil, sand or gravel.

My cat only poops in his litter box, or else.

That's not true, I have a cat on video crapping smack dab in the middle of the lawn!

Back