NVIDIA DLSS Boosts Performance by up to 50% in the Port Royal Benchmark

Remember the 3D mark scene is PERFECT for Deep learning as the training data is literally the same footage for only a few minutes. It isn't as varied as a real game with hundreds of hours of game play and angles for rendering versus a scene that is literally on rails. Also remember sharpness is normally due to lack of AA not extra. AA should smooth surfaces. That is why when you do something like SMAA Ultra you add a sharpening filter to get back some mild texture detail that is normally lost. I did this a lot in Borderlands with 5K downsampling and forced SMAA through sweetfx.

Remember the 3D mark scene is PERFECT for Deep learning as the training data is literally the same footage for only a few minutes.
Thank you for pointing that out. This is a real issue with the entire approach.
And for games where NV does not provide training data, well I guess they won't be lookin' so good. For instance older games, or indie games.

Perhaps NV is not being nefarious with this, but do I really need another dependency on a vendor's good will in order to get good looking AA?

Just look at DLSS near a fence in a game after all the flicker makes you lose your lunch. Lol Nvidia try again

DLSS2X which takes your native, AI upscales it higher, then back down will fix that if they ever implement it.

Looks great! So im now expecting all the games that implement DLSS will have this 50% performance uplift! Good news for all! Oh wait...this is only a demo, rendering the exact same scene over and over again, so the DLSS can train perfectly for this. So what were actually looking at is best case scenario? wonder what itll actually shake out to be in a fast paced FPS. Glad the tech is here! just hope they arent lying to us about its performance! They wouldnt do that, right???

So nearly 60fps @ 1440p?
Seems like something more for 1080p? Unless you don't mind low FPS?

Well in comparison to TAA which is basically free of any serious performance hit, just like other post processong methods, the FPS and image quality boost that DLSS delivers is amazing. But you are correct, the FPS is suspiciously low. The game seems to be poorly optimized? Or did it have Raytracing on?

Here we go again (predictably)...Time to add the dedicated "DLSS WHINING TAB" to the homepage now that the RTX haters have something new to rag on....

So nearly 60fps @ 1440p?
Seems like something more for 1080p? Unless you don't mind low FPS?

It’s a graphics benchmark it’s supposed to be low fps or you’d just be cpu bound. That’s like saying a 980ti couldn’t do 1440p because firestrike ultra ran like a turd...

It's great news though...DLSS is coming...and it will "crush" 10 series cards, not to mention AMD in supported titles...roll on the RTX bandwagon!

It didnt last long enough for me to bother posting the deal, but evga rtx2080ti fes were on sale for $999 the other night. The ship is sinking fast and Im willing to bet it really sinks when the sales figures for q1 get announced. nvidia really pulled a SEGA with their stupid high launch price.

The Black Edition card isn't a FE card, its a bone stock one. It was launched at $999, but they raised the price after a bit.

NVIDIA has released a new video that demonstrates the power of its DLSS technology. In the Port Royal benchmark, NVIDIA DLSS boosts performance by up top 50%. While both images are ray traced in the demo, the DLSS image is clearly brighter, clearer and sharper. Deep learning makes this possible as it improves transparent surfaces, anti-aliasing, and more.

3DMark's latest benchmark test, called Port Royal, moves users through an environment featuring real-time ray-traced reflections and shadows, to test the performance of GeForce RTX GPUs and their RT Cores, the tech that makes real-time ray tracing a reality. DLSS has now been added to Port Royal, enabling GeForce RTX users to see and measure the performance and image quality benefits of this game-changing technology.

Is it really bad coding or decades old 3D Mark trickery? Pretty insane performance boost though. I think last I recall they really had such a significant driver related boost was back when I had GeForce2 GTS and when detonator drivers came out it really felt like I got a new video card.

The Black Edition card isn't a FE card, its a bone stock one. It was launched at $999, but they raised the price after a bit.

oops my bad. i get confused because every vendor has like 5 different versions of the same card.

How much memory does DLSS take for the tensor cores to compare the data from the much higher resolution solution/model to be fed to the GPU? Who has a good breakdown in how DLSS works? Does not seem like much info out there covering this.

Taking 6 months + to get DLSS working right in a very limited lighting/texture environment Demo is not very encouraging. The results thou do look fairly good. So how do the developers put the data needed into their game code for every environment, level etc. in a game? How much time does that take? Nvidia talks about a neural network - does that mean you GPU is also connected to Nvidia neural network for any game using DLSS. In other words do you have to be connected to outside resources to get the model to make this work?

Seems like the last update was from September on games supporting - as far as I know only one is out supporting DLSS and not very good overall.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-dlss-new-games-september-2018/

With the above mentioned games, how many of them actually will have DLSS working or working right and when is a whole another thing; which also means for the thousands of games out there now, DLSS is worthless for improving performance. An extremely limited feature.

oops my bad. i get confused because every vendor has like 5 different versions of the same card.

Completely understandable. Even when brands do a decent job of segregating their card classes they still produce several under the same type.

so far RTX and DlSS are not a reason to buy one of these cards. The 30fps jump I got in AC:Odessey at 3440x1440 is though, so there is that.

in 10 days we should have a decent single player game that hopefully shows off some RTX features.

Don't count on it. Nvidia didn't even mention Metro during their CES conference. If it was going to launch with RTX features, or even have them close after launch, Jensen would have been talking all about while on stage. Even on their Youtube page, Nvidia hasn't talked about Metro's RTX support recently. At this point, its probably best to assume it will not be launching with RTX features. Maybe there will be a surprise "RTX features" trailer or something in the next few days, but unless Nvidia or the devs say otherwise I'm just going to expect not to see ray-tracing or DLSS support in the game until some time after release.

im ashamed to admit i havent gotten around to playing it yet but doesnt resident evil 2 have raytracing? supposed to anyway.

Don't count on it. Nvidia didn't even mention Metro during their CES conference. If it was going to launch with RTX features, or even have them close after launch, Jensen would have been talking all about while on stage. Even on their Youtube page, Nvidia hasn't talked about Metro's RTX support recently. At this point, its probably best to assume it will not be launching with RTX features. Maybe there will be a surprise "RTX features" trailer or something in the next few days, but unless Nvidia or the devs say otherwise I'm just going to expect not to see ray-tracing or DLSS support in the game until some time after release.

um...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...traced-global-illumination-ambient-occlusion/

there has been a lot of talk about it

Just saw this over at DSOG, in the middle of the article are quotes from January.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/shad...he-real-time-ray-tracing-effects/#more-122438

I hope it comes thru. I've been waiting to do a replay with this until the last DLC comes out since they incorporated them into the game. I don't really care about the DXR but it'd be neat to see how much DLSS helps with 4k gaming and is presently one of the best with DX12.

Reactions: noko
like this
Thank you for pointing that out. This is a real issue with the entire approach.
And for games where NV does not provide training data, well I guess they won't be lookin' so good. For instance older games, or indie games.

Perhaps NV is not being nefarious with this, but do I really need another dependency on a vendor's good will in order to get good looking AA?

Of course this AI trained AA BS is nefarious.

Imagine your a developer... Nvidia pitches be part of our way its meant to be played program. We'll provide AI farm training for your AA. If not we can't help you.

As like almost all the crap NV introduces. They do it in a way that is linked to them. Nothing they ever come up with is ever pushed into the open. They are always looking to use it to make extra back end money or as an extra method of exerting control over developers.

DLSS imo won't ever be much use outside of canned benchmarks. Of course I'm looking forward to actual games using the tech, to see if perhaps there is something here. If there is potential here... hopefully AMD or even Intel add proper API flags to Vulkan so developers can do the training and add support not linked to NGX.

You can say that about most new features...you must be new to IT?

I go back to 1997 with my interest with PCs so I'm as cynical as it gets. Ray tracing on your home pc is, frankly, dead in the water unless you have a 2080 ti. It'll take 7nm gpus to make this shit fly. So yeah it's a new feature.. On box art of 2080s, 2070s and 2060s. Not a feature in any game you'll ever get to play during the production run of Turing. The whole farce is pure snakeoil right now.

I go back to 1997 with my interest with PCs so I'm as cynical as it gets. Ray tracing on your home pc is, frankly, dead in the water unless you have a 2080 ti. It'll take 7nm gpus to make this shit fly. So yeah it's a new feature.. On box art of 2080s, 2070s and 2060s. Not a feature in any game you'll ever get to play during the production run of Turing. The whole farce is pure snakeoil right now.
RT has nothing to do with 7nm.
A 1080 Ti could compute the RT calaculations, but since it lack the dedicated hardware like a 2080 Ti it would do it at ~10% the speed of a 2080 Ti...even if the 1080 Ti was buildt on 7 nm...1997 you said?

First consumer 7nm chip is out...doens't look like it will quite cut it in RT...any more predictions from you?

It's not even true ray tracing really, the scene is almost entirely rasterized with ray tracing effect added. Were way far away from being able to fully ray trace a scene in a game

RT has nothing to do with 7nm.
A 1080 Ti could compute the RT calaculations, but since it lack the dedicated hardware like a 2080 Ti it would do it at ~10% the speed of a 2080 Ti...even if the 1080 Ti was buildt on 7 nm...1997 you said?

Of course, most would argue the 2080Ti lacks enough dedicated hardware to make it actually work well also as anything more than a parlor trick in BFV.

Show me on the doll where RT touched you?

1 AAA title and a benchmark that supports RT since launch 6 months ago?

I wouldn't have thought someone would resort to making jokes about child molestation to justify an RTX purchase, but here we are... Maybe people just have a different sense of humor in Denmark.

It's hard to take too much from a crappy compressed youtube video but at times the dlss side looked blurrier than the TAA side which is saying something because TAA is pretty bad in that regard itself. I don't really care for any post processing type of AA for that reason though.

I think I'm more disappointed that a demo called Port Royal had nothing to do with pirates or rum.

Back