NVIDIA DLSS Boosts Performance by up to 50% in the Port Royal Benchmark

cageymaru

Fully [H]
NVIDIA has released a new video that demonstrates the power of its DLSS technology. In the Port Royal benchmark, NVIDIA DLSS boosts performance by up top 50%. While both images are ray traced in the demo, the DLSS image is clearly brighter, clearer and sharper. Deep learning makes this possible as it improves transparent surfaces, anti-aliasing, and more.

3DMark's latest benchmark test, called Port Royal, moves users through an environment featuring real-time ray-traced reflections and shadows, to test the performance of GeForce RTX GPUs and their RT Cores, the tech that makes real-time ray tracing a reality. DLSS has now been added to Port Royal, enabling GeForce RTX users to see and measure the performance and image quality benefits of this game-changing technology.

I'm confused about why the 1440p picture without dlss looks so fuzzy. I'm assuming that's TAA. It would be nice to have compared no AA images and perhaps some other AA modes.

There we go. That's exactly where I thought Nvidia was going with this. This whole enchilada doesn't work without a way to get the computational power down into a realm the cards can handle. By combining the RT and DLSS that's a pretty stunning 1440p result. Yes, I know it's technically rendering at a lower res than 1440p to do this, but I looked really hard at both images and other than their choice of TAA being exceptionally blurry in implementation the actual results on the DLSS side is really, really good. And that frame rate is playable in a whole lot of games.

So yes, I agree... nice demo. Now let's see this combo in some games.

I'm confused about why the 1440p picture without dlss looks so fuzzy. I'm assuming that's TAA. It would be nice to have compared no AA images and perhaps some other AA modes.

TAA is perhaps the most common forced AA mode in modern games. So it's not entirely inaccurate. But absolutely, show a no-AA comparison. Let's see what more shimmer and less blur looks like. (both for the visual and the frame rate) DLSS should still be outright faster than no-AA. And TAA isn't very expensive.

I'd imagine a technology like DLSS would have a much easier time performing well on a static benchmark like 3DMark.

In a game, where even if it is a linear title, you have slightly different draw angles and positions every time, this is a much harder challenge for the AI assisted technology.

I'm still going to treat DLSS as just another upscaling technology, until I have seen more evidence that it isn't.

There we go. That's exactly where I thought Nvidia was going with this. This whole enchilada doesn't work without a way to get the computational power down into a realm the cards can handle. By combining the RT and DLSS that's a pretty stunning 1440p result. Yes, I know it's technically rendering at a lower res than 1440p to do this, but I looked really hard at both images and other than their choice of TAA being exceptionally blurry in implementation the actual results on the DLSS side is really, really good. And that frame rate is playable in a whole lot of games.

So yes, I agree... nice demo. Now let's see this combo in some games.

RT and DLSS is just the start...NVIDIA has a large portfolio of GPGPU technology that they will implement over the next few years...this is just the "tip of the iceberg".

Anyone else kinda bothered they couldn't show off their brand new fancy pants graphics with hardware that could maintain at least 60fps throughout the entire showcase?

2:03-2:07 Holy hell does that look bad, it completely struggles with the engine heat, the fins in the engines get turned into what looks like Photoshop blur effects with a swirl, anything that is meant to have a slight curve/engine heat effect like the paint, becomes overly amplified as well and almost water like.

Once you see it, it's very apparent.

DLSS looks MUCH sharper.

If 4k DLSS is run at 1440p Is 1440p DLSS run at 1080?

I've got to say the DLSS looks mighty impressive in this demo, very 4K like. Old multisampling AA is dead thanks to the evolution of how images get rendered and it is way too expensive, but postprocessing AA is just crap. SMAA was the most promising one but it does not work that well in motion and TAA has that god awful vaseline smear that needs some sharpening filter to get rid off, but that causes other issues and may even bring back the pixel crawl TAA was meant to combat in the first place. DLSS with checkerboard rendering and AI upscaling seem to be the future.

2:03-2:07 Holy hell does that look bad, it completely struggles with the engine heat, the fins in the engines get turned into what looks like Photoshop blur effects with a swirl, anything that is meant to have a slight curve/engine heat effect like the paint, becomes overly amplified as well and almost water like.

Once you see it, it's very apparent.

TAA looks just as bad, it just has blur that covers it a bit more. The problem is the effect itself, not the DLSS I think.

Just look at DLSS near a fence in a game after all the flicker makes you lose your lunch. Lol Nvidia try again

Just look at DLSS near a fence in a game after all the flicker makes you lose your lunch. Lol Nvidia try again

It remains to be seen if that applies outside of FFXV. That game has a lot of weirdness going in with how it handles some of its graphical features and, especially, AA. It could be a bad implementation of DLSS. Unfortunately we really won’t know until more games support it.

wow ... just wow ... truly amazing piece of hardware. This DLSS is the future. Look at how sharp it made everything along with the insane performance boost. Those of us that lucky to have the RTX series are truly blessed. Nearly got emotional over the music and the sharpness of the video, the mood of it.

I will go ahead and say it, why didn't they demonstrate it in BF V.
I would say because the game is basically dead and not relevant any more, but that is me just hating on the BF franchise and the people who play it.

DLSS has been the only real selling point for the 20 series imo. If games started working at implementing the tech, the 20 series would be an easy sell. Like ray tracing, it's another great tech that needs to happen, but the start is rough.

So nearly 60fps @ 1440p?
Seems like something more for 1080p? Unless you don't mind low FPS?

These side by sides are complete bullshit. TAA BLURS THE IMAGE IN MOTION - so anything compared to it will look crisper, cleaner, and less blurry. You're better than the write up you did Cageymaru. . .

wow ... just wow ... truly amazing piece of hardware. This DLSS is the future. Look at how sharp it made everything along with the insane performance boost. Those of us that lucky to have the RTX series are truly blessed. Nearly got emotional over the music and the sharpness of the video, the mood of it.

Hahahahaha! I'm sure Nvidia didn't cut any corners to get this frame improvement lol. Not like they have ever done that before lol. Let's wait and see what it does in an actual game and not a canned rendered video, I mean benchmark.

That's one pricey, useless today "tip"

If I can start a game on a 2080... a 800 $ gpu and enable a new feature without artifacts (DLSS introduce em) or reduce image quality or bring some reflections at hilarious performance penalty I'll stop being so sceptical.

Buy the RTX cards for the traditional rendering performance, for production, or if you develop games and want to play with Raytracing, cause it is the future but RTX2xxx doesn't seem like gonna be going far with RT unfortunately but a great developer cards as two years down it'll may be prime time for it!

I'm not sure that's worth $1300.

It didnt last long enough for me to bother posting the deal, but evga rtx2080ti fes were on sale for $999 the other night. The ship is sinking fast and Im willing to bet it really sinks when the sales figures for q1 get announced. nvidia really pulled a SEGA with their stupid high launch price.

So nearly 60fps @ 1440p?
Seems like something more for 1080p? Unless you don't mind low FPS?
Thats kinda what my thought was too.

This still needs to mature some more. Maybe the next gen will be more impressive.

Back