Nvidia Display driver stopped responding and has recovered....

shawnoen

[H]ard|Gawd
What causes this?

Never had this issue with my pair of GTX285s (same system otherwise).

Was watching an movie today (Restrepo) on my PC that was a MP4 file on my hard drive. Watching on Window Media Player and it happened twice over the 1.5 hours.

Happened again about once every other day simply surfing the internet and checking email! Just seems to happen suddenly out of nowhere. I noticed my mouse was stuck while checking email and then a few seconds later...BOOM...both displays flashed. Noticed that with both cards the fan speed went WAY down when it happened. Then the 1st card corrected itself with what I have set in EVGA Precision but the 2nd card didn't do that. I had to go back into Precision and set it again.....

Am using 263.14 for which I did a clean install of a couple weeks ago. Cards are completely stock, no overclock. When I run a stress test I get no artifacting or anthing. I can't seem to make the issue come up, just seems random!

I have one card hooked to each of my displays so if one card was having an issue I wonder why thet would both shut down together always?

Wasnt doing anything else while watching movie so GPU useage was only around 3-4% and CPU useage was low as well. I could tell when it was about to happen as the movie starting stuttering a bit and then both my screens flashed and Windows recovered and it was fine after than (until it happened again).

GPU temps are only in the mid 40s!

System Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
i7 920 (dummy overclock)
Corsair Dominator GT 12GB (3x4gb) 2000mhz (XMP1 profile)
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Two EVGA GTX570s in SLI
Intel 160gb G2 SSD
EVGA Classified E760 motherboard

Thanks, Shawn

Just ran Furmark and came across this, is this normal for two cards in SLI? One card (primary) stays at high useage and the 2nd card varies up and down between 60-90% useage?

Thanks, Shawn

furmark.jpg

Just ran Furmark and came across this, is this normal for two cards in SLI? One card (primary) stays at high useage and the 2nd card varies up and down between 60-90% useage?

Thanks, Shawn

furmark.jpg

That's a bit strange, swap cards in the pcie slots and see if the usage follows the card. Obviously that would point to a problem with a specific card. The initial part about the fan speed seems like something I heard about in another thread regarding the 260.99 drivers with older non fermi cards. Supposedly the fans stop and temps raise until the system crashes.

I heard the 260 dont like the new drivers as well. Which is odd since its usually the new cards that are supposed to have driver issues.

Back