NVIDIA: Cyberpunk 2077 Will Ship With RTX Raytracing

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
In a blog post today, Nvidia announced that CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077 will support ray tracing when it launches next year, to make those neon-bathed streets extra atmospheric.

A quote from CD Projekt about the partnership:

"Ray tracing allows us to realistically portray how light behaves in a crowded urban environment," said Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED. "Thanks to this technology, we can add another layer of depth and verticality to the already impressive megacity the game takes place in."

Cyberpunk 2077 was already shaping up to be one of the most demanding PC games in years, but ray tracing is sure to push today's best graphics cards beyond their limits. We're gonna need some next-gen tech to hit ray traced 4K at 60+ fps.

PCGAMER: We were able to check out a behind closed doors demo of the new RTX enabled build of Cyberpunk 2077, and while CDPR didn't explicitly state what sorts of ray tracing effects are being used, it did mention the use of global illumination and dynamic lighting effects in the game. There are also plenty of reflective surfaces, but those might be using screen space reflections. Either way, if there's a game that can potentially convince people that it's time to pick up an RTX card, this is the best candidate to date.

cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-e3-2019-rtx-on-exclusive-4k-in-game-screenshot-002.png

cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-e3-2019-rtx-on-exclusive-4k-in-game-screenshot-001.png

Last edited:
My body is ready

My body is ready but my wallet isn't, but I guess this is at slideshow framerates anyway so hardly gameplay friendly :p It's a great candidate to visually enhance the scenes with ray tracing though. Another candidate I'd hope would do it would be Square Enix with Final Fantasy VII Remake whenever it gets released on PC where I really also see huge potential but they aren't the typical company that would push graphics features, especially as it's a console-first release but one can always hope. :)

No need- we can be pretty confident that Nvidia will have their 3000-series / Ampere out by release. AMD might even have their first-gen ray tracing hardware out.

April 2020 might be a little optimistic for a 3000-series. But wouldn't be too long after.

As for AMD, I would lay money that the moment they have a DXR beta driver ready for developers, CDPR will be the first to get it, along with prerelease NAVI hardware.

April 2020 might be a little optimistic for a 3000-series. But wouldn't be too long after.

As for AMD, I would lay money that the moment they have a DXR beta driver ready for developers, CDPR will be the first to get it, along with prerelease NAVI hardware.

It might be; however, given that Nvidia has a winning architecture with Turing, just a slight tweak and a shrink to 7nm should be enough. They'd likely grow RT resources in proportion a bit in the process.

I also wonder about AMD's RT drivers... their Vega-based hardware is likely more capable than Pascal, but they'd get (unfairly) reamed by Turing just the same as Pascal if they released without hardware alongside. And we have no indication that AMD is bringing hardware RT to the upcoming Navi GPUs...

Meh unless they can deliver good frame rates most people wont like the performance hit on a shooter. Would like to see what frame rate they are getting, looks good but it needs to perform as well. Thats likely to be one of the most popular releases next year so Nvidia better be giving it's all or it's going to reflect poorly on their RTX hardware.

Meh unless they can deliver good frame rates most people wont like the performance hit on a shooter. Would like to see what frame rate they are getting, looks good but it needs to perform as well. Thats likely to be one of the most popular releases next year so Nvidia better be giving it's all or it's going to reflect poorly on their RTX hardware.

Metro RT does 100 fps at 1440p. That’d be perfect if it got numbers like that for my 55” TV at 6ft away.

Metro RT does 100 fps at 1440p. That’d be perfect if it got numbers like that for my 55” TV at 6ft away.

Yes but it cant just be a 2080TI that it performs on but I am glad to hear you had a good experience with Metro using RT with it. Tho I think this game will prove to be a bit more difficult to make run smooth.

Yes but it cant just be a 2080TI that it performs on but I am glad to hear you had a good experience with Metro using RT with it. Tho I think this game will prove to be a bit more difficult to make run smooth.

We’ll see. RTX had a rough launch with devs only having a few weeks/months with the hardware. These guys will have over a year to tune it in. They are obviously already dicking around with it. I can’t wait.

2nd gen RTX cards will hopefully be out by then...and maybe AMD will also have some RT support

This should be interesting. I hope to squeeze in a new AMD CPU/Mobo/Ram upgrade around that time period.

You guys know those aren't screenshots right? Those are animated gif's showing you real-time rendering of that game running at 4k with RTX turned on OOTB.......

Maybe, by 2077, Ray Tracing may be worth using outside of "making it look pretty" right before turning all that crap off to make the game playable.

NV RTX will only really take off when the xx50 cards have them and even then, they need to have obvious benefits over RTX off.

If even 2070s struggle with ray tracing effects, devs won't feel the need to push the tech either.

Indigestion is happening too doesn't mean anyone wants it. Tech is not there to really push RT yet and until that changes it will remain at best a tacked on feature that most people never turn on. When developers see the masses with enough GPU power to run RT then it will become a feature rather then a tacked on mess. Got a few years to go yet as the Quake II RTX demo shows the cards really don't have the power yet.

RTX is going to become a feature in most AAA games soon. Yeah, frame rates will suck and it probably won't be that good in terms of implementation. The next generation of cards will likely make it more playable. Although with Exodus, the frame rate drop with RTX on didn't seem to be as big as it was for BFV in on my PC. The indoor areas could be run with RTX on and max setting, 1440P with my RTX 2070 but frame rates were a little less than desirable but do able if you are okay with sub 60 frame rates. Outdoor areas were unplayable. Although even with RTX off, the area of the Caspian Sea map with a lot of grass was borderline playable as it was.

Came in to hear the "RTX echo chamber" members talk about how awesome RTX is on a game that won't be released for another year. Wasn't dissapointed.

/thread

So, people aren't allowed to talk about what they see in screenshots presented to show off the effects because reasons?

BFV was a shitty implementation of Ray Tracing on a pisspoor DX12 engine... It's left a bad first impression of raytracing that is going to take time for some thread-shitters to get over.

Eventually it will be in everything.

By the time this game comes out I will be ready to upgrade my 1080ti.

I think we have more room for driver performance and more refined use of RT than people are considering. For instance.. you can do more general sources of light and fewer reflected reflections to help turn down the impact.

In the Highest end versions we have reflective surfaces and bounce happening and slowly degrading the brightness of the reflections until such time as they are no longer present. Doing it that way is very expensive from a Ray Trace standpoint because one beam of light can turn into hundreds or thousands at different intensities.

So step 1 is turn down the number of reflections reflected. There are rules in the engine that I have seen that you can say reflect 1x or 2x up to like 10 or 12x I think. For Screenshots and stills they will use the 12x or max. For in engine rendering they turn it down to 2x. The reflections are still there they just arn't as computationally expensive.

The second step is to turn down the number of sources that generate reflections. Sure it's a bit of a trade off in engine. But the cost savings on render are pretty good.

Most of the higher tier 2080, 2080 ti you only really need to do the first one. But taking it to the next level for the lower end cards makes sense.

Same with environment reflections.

BFV was a shitty implementation of Ray Tracing on a pisspoor DX12 engine

That second part is important. Somehow DICE is still horrific with DX12, despite running the game on the Xbox. If only that work translated over...

I'm sure it will look nice, but I'd also expect it to have a similar performance-crushing effect as hairworks did in The Witcher 3.

Came in to hear the "RTX echo chamber" members talk about how awesome RTX is on a game that won't be released for another year. Wasn't dissapointed.

/thread

You have nothing to worry about, AMD will not have RT until much, much later.

think ill wait til nvidia's 7nm to play 2077 (if reasonably priced). Not gonna get the 20 SUPER.

By that time cdprojekt will have 20GB worth of patches to smooth things over and it may be on sale/have expansions!

That lady on the poster looks pretty erect.
Umm hellooooo, it's 2077, that type of hate speech will send you to world government prison. Very triggering. And it isn't a lady, it is a mech-zhe, transcending mortal gender stereotypes.

Back