NVIDIA Cuts Prices on High End Cards

4870x2. There is some debate on whether it will be faster than two 4870's in Xfire, or only just as fast. There is evidence to support either assertion, so we will just have to be certain.

Actually, August is just a good time for me, but the 4870x2 explanation works too. :p

NVIDIOTS should thank Ati.... now your can buy your precious NVIDIA cards for much less...than the gouge team green was trying to pilfer ....

This is a great change from when ATI provided zero competition and we were stuck with 8800GTX cards as the top performer for a solid year before the G92 GPUs were finally released.

Stuff like this and the stagnation in video cards last year is a reminder of why we need competition from ATI (even though I'm a total nvidia zealot :) ).

This is a great change from when ATI provided zero competition and we were stuck with 8800GTX cards as the top performer for a solid year before the G92 GPUs were finally released.

Stuff like this and the stagnation in video cards last year is a reminder of why we need competition from ATI (even though I'm a total nvidia zealot :) ).

An Nvidiot is one who buys NVIDIA no matter what. And will defend Nvidia no matter what....

A Nvidia Zealot is similar to a Nvidiot... except he will use Ati when its just flat out the best choice... like right now

there is a difference.... an Nvidiot will use anything to FUD the coming king the 4870 like microstutter FUD or Nvidia is better cus its a SINGLE GPU card

An Nvidiot is one who buys NVIDIA no matter what. And will defend Nvidia no matter what....

A Nvidia Zealot is similar to a Nvidiot... except he will use Ati when its just flat out the best choice... like right now

there is a difference.... an Nvidiot will use anything to FUD the coming king the 4870 like microstutter FUD or Nvidia is better cus its a SINGLE GPU card

Oh, I agree. The last time I had an ATI card in my PC was when I had a 9800 Pro, because when I was building a new gaming PC at that time there was no question that ATI had the best card on the market (nvidia was floundering with the GeForce FX). That said, ATI's drivers at the time were absolutely terrible and I would BSOD in Call Of Duty regularly (otherwise I've never had BSODs outside of RAM issues). I understand that ATI's drivers are much better now, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't swap GPUs the moment the GeForce 6800GT came out.

If I was building a new machine right now I would have to consider an ATI, no question, but I also know what my preferred brand is. :)

Oh, I agree. The last time I had an ATI card in my PC was when I had a 9800 Pro, because when I was building a new gaming PC at that time there was no question that ATI had the best card on the market (nvidia was floundering with the GeForce FX). That said, ATI's drivers at the time were absolutely terrible and I would BSOD in Call Of Duty regularly (otherwise I've never had BSODs outside of RAM issues). I understand that ATI's drivers are much better now, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't swap GPUs the moment the GeForce 6800GT came out.

If I was building a new machine right now I would have to consider an ATI, no question, but I also know what my preferred brand is. :)

nothing wrong with preference.... i have horror stories with both ATI and NVIDIA

and right now Nvidia drivers are the pits...and dont get me started on NVIDIA chipsets....

i use to be a AMD fan to the core.... but alas... i have to go with INTEL now...

I dont get why people become fanboys at all. And I dont mean like choosing the winner in one generation of products, but constantly siding with the same company regardless of how bad their offerings get. Unless you work for the company (or own stock), I dont see you benefiting from it in any way. This "loyalty" bs is just stupid on so many levels.

Yeah, I think people tend to pay for their loyalty in one way or the other. It's best to evaluate the products for what they are, opinions aside. Too hard to do for most Americans I think.

But again, this is good, I mean great competition.

So this means come monday newegg should have all gtx260's priced about $230 or so?

NVIDIOTS should thank Ati.... now your can buy your precious NVIDIA cards for much less...than the gouge team green was trying to pilfer ....
Why is it you can't have a conversation without calling names?

And, nobody should be thanking Ati. They didn't release these cards at a lower price because they want to be your buddy. They didn't release these cards at a lower price because they are nice guys and want you to like them. They didn't release these cards at a lower price because they wanted people to be able to afford nvidia's cards. They released these cards at a lower price becausetheir market research indicated that these lower prices would be the most profitable price point given the cards' performance and the market's demand.

It's the "good vs bad" and "thanking my buddies vs hating the bad guys" mentality regarding video cards that makes these forums so insufferable lately. It's like half these forums are inhabited by writers for the Inq lately.

Anyways, can't wait for Monday so I can get a price adjustment on my cards.

So this means come Monday newegg should have all gtx260's priced about $230 or so?

Not for you, or anyone here. The $222 USD is the price nVidia charges for businesses who buy the card in bulk (the AIB, or Add-In-Board partner, price).

The price the AIB charges the public is now recommended to be $329 USD.

Man, I was wrong on nVidia not cutting prices further. I am so amazed how much nVidia expected people to initially pay for the 260 & the 280.

Talk about markup!

I dont get why people become fanboys at all. And I dont mean like choosing the winner in one generation of products, but constantly siding with the same company regardless of how bad their offerings get. Unless you work for the company (or own stock), I dont see you benefiting from it in any way. This "loyalty" bs is just stupid on so many levels.

I know a guy named Malefricarus.... he posts here..and elsewhere

he is a Nvidiot
but on top of that he is an ASUS addict

everything he owns must be both nvidia and asus.. no matter what

I own, and like ok, the 790i - and have no real problems with it. However it is not the ultimate uber xtreme omg board that I was led to believe. IMO there are $150 Intel chipset MBs that are just as good.

Just for the ease of use of X48/P45 and crossfire, if I was rebuilding today, my cards would be colored red.

Ok people, NOW do you see why competition is good for the end consumer? :)

Hm, it looks like Nvidia knows something about X2 we don't that scared them enough to bring prices even more down. I wonder if AMD can afford to lower their prices more if Nvidia gets too agressive with their pricing to keep the market share at all costs.

Why is it you can't have a conversation without calling names?

And, nobody should be thanking Ati. They didn't release these cards at a lower price because they want to be your buddy. They didn't release these cards at a lower price because they are nice guys and want you to like them. They didn't release these cards at a lower price because they wanted people to be able to afford nvidia's cards. They released these cards at a lower price becausetheir market research indicated that these lower prices would be the most profitable price point given the cards' performance and the market's demand.

How about "because they used their BRAINS while making their new GPU chip and ended up reaching performance desired with much less expenditure"?

But that was kind of an expected answer from someone who uses a 280 SLi config.

How about "because they used their BRAINS while making their new GPU chip and ended up reaching performance desired with much less expenditure"?

Both your post and his contain facts of the matter. Your last line was unnecessary.

That GTX260 is a steal of a deal now, great for single card users.

I'm still glad I jumped on the 4870's though, I wanted crossfire and I'm not going to go with an Nvidia chipset just to get sli, I like my P45 and Q9450 too much to even think about swapping back.

Microstutter is real, and nVidia has a faster chip. End of story, no FUD there.

This is great news.
The GTX260 is an attractive card for the price.
I am wondering how low ATi will price its card to stay even more competitive.
We all know that the GTX2x0 series has a large die and suffers from bad yields while the HD48x0 series is the exact opposite. Or will AMD even feel pressure?
All I know is I am hoping they do.

Actually it looks like ATI went into the game in the middle of a price war, they could easily priced the 4870's at $400 and been really competitive with Nvidia, instead they stole all sales by undercutting like a mofo.

The way the 4870, and GTX260 is, I couldn't be more happier as a consumer, if it gets lower thats cool, but I already made my purchase :(

Hmmm....my max price for any computer part is $200. So how will these cuts affect the 8800GTS range?

Pretty nice cuts.. Hadn't ATI been in the game, Nvidia would have kept selling the GTX260 for $400 and the GTX280 @ $600 for two years, then released a new "generation" of cards that performed 10% faster.. just like the Geforce8/9 series.

I'm also wondering how this affects the Geforce 8 cards? I thought Nvidia was planning on renaming all the Geforce 8 cards to Geforce 9, ie. 8800GT becomes 9800GT and so on? It looks like the Geforce 8 cards are slowly disappearing from the market - Many stores no longer have 8800/8600 cards in stock here in Sweden.

Wow at this rate their cars are going to free by August :) Hooray for competition

Wow. Once again, it's posts like this that are actually painful. Note how someone who has a bit more money and therefore isn't as concerned with saving a couple hundred dollars must somehow not be using (in italics) their brains. I've currently got performance that the ATi offerings can't approach, and I'm playing my favorite game with every single detail turned up at the resolution I perfer. And the price delta would not have had any real effect on my day-to-day life. So, using my brain, I think I made a pretty good decision.

But, of course you and your sad, little video card partisans actually form pseudo political parties over this crap and insist on seeing one side as "good" (and deserving praise and gratitude for doing what's best for their bottom line) while the other is "bad" and deserving somehow of nothing but condemnation for doing the exact same thing.

They are video cards and people like you and POPEGOLD need to grow up, look in the mirror, and figure out what has gone wrong in your psyches that makes you behave this way regarding something so f'ing trivial.

This topic, and these forums used to actually be informative and fun. Now it just feels like we've got rejects from the various political underground blogs projecting their misanthropic, bizarrely confrontational, and arrogantly self-righteous BS at us over our video card preferences and/or our ability to pay more for more performance.

Thank you ATI. You've brought competition back to the GPU market. Even with the cuts, I'll be putting a 4800 series card in my system. (must wait for 4870 x2 w/ 2GB of GDDR5 /drool )

about fracking time !!!!
too little too late ;)

Wow, impatient much?! LOL!

They JUST launched the GTX 200's.

Thats about as fast as you can get as a big business.

I'm actually surprised at how FAST they're doing things.

I think they had all of this stuff in the wings ready for ATI, in case they were this competitive. Like the die shrunk 9800 GTX+, price drops, etc...

Amazing, to see this price cuts so early on the line of nvidia cards,

people talk about that this is not a battle of good vs evil, but when you look at it feel just like it, the "good" comes along challenging that "bad", the "bad" squeasing every one with high prices, bad moves, etc, and the "good" guy comes around with cheaper prices and excellent performance, but I the end of the story, every time the so called "good" somehow becomes the "bad" guy and the battle moves to the next stage...

nvidia vs 3dfx back then and now ati vs nvidia

hope both stick around for a while, cause we do need the competition, else we all going to lose big time,

sam

Matrox FTW!!! All other gpu makers are evil. Only Matrox is righteous and pure and deserving of our money. ;) :rolleyes:

Nv made cuts because the 4xxx series is performing near, at, or better than their own offerings for a considerably lower price, with good availability to boot. End of story really.

Nv is not evil nor is Ati, both are greedy however. The stockholders will eventually get rid of you if you are not making them money. Nobody wants to loose their multi million dollar a year job, or the prestige that goes with it.

I think I'm going to join the Red Team this time around just to be different and support the under dog for a change. 4870 Here I come :)

Nv is not evil nor is Ati, both are greedy however. The stockholders will eventually get rid of you if you are not making them money. Nobody wants to loose their multi million dollar a year job, or the prestige that goes with it.

You hit the nail on the head. It's pointless to be a NVidiot or an ATIdiot, both these guys are out there to get as much money from us as they possibly can. The best thing that can happen for us is for one of them to surprise the other with better or comparable performance with a lower cost. That NVidia can lower their prices so quickly just shows you how much they are gouging you in the first place. On the flip-side, there's no way AMD/ATI isn't making money on their new series. Things are lookin' good for me building a new machine in Sept or so. :D

[eyes glazed over] Apple, now there's a name where you are required to buy every new product. Oh! Someone sneaked pictures of a new Apple conference banner that may allude to something that may be rumoured to come out! I'm going to put on a black turtleneck and jeans and line up in front of the Apple store just in case...[/eyes glazed over]

(J/K :D)

Wow, impatient much?! LOL!

They JUST launched the GTX 200's.

Thats about as fast as you can get as a big business.

I'm actually surprised at how FAST they're doing things.

I think they had all of this stuff in the wings ready for ATI, in case they were this competitive. Like the die shrunk 9800 GTX+, price drops, etc...

Thats what is not being reported by the news

a reason why Nvidia stock dropped some days ago
Article

Wow that was quick. I was pricing these cards at a local store in Canada yesterday before the price cuts.
Sapphire
4850 = $218
4870 = $336 ,
most flavours of Nvidia
GTX 260= $420
GTX 280,= $680-$690.

This topic, and these forums used to actually be informative and fun. Now it just feels like we've got rejects from the various political underground blogs projecting their misanthropic, bizarrely confrontational, and arrogantly self-righteous BS at us over our video card preferences and/or our ability to pay more for more performance.

I couldn't agree with you more Hurin, so much ado about nothing.

Hm, it looks like Nvidia knows something about X2 we don't that scared them enough to bring prices even more down. I wonder if AMD can afford to lower their prices more if Nvidia gets too agressive with their pricing to keep the market share at all costs.

Actually ATI was planning on introducing the 4800 series at a cheaper price until they saw how well they preformed against the 200 series. Thats when they upped the price of the 4800 series. So to answer you're question, yes ATI can afford to lower their prices even more if they so chose to. The real question is how low can nVidia go.

What ever your take on what the best video card is, this time around everyone wins.

Back