NVIDIA Could Give a SUPER Overhaul to its GeForce RTX 3070 and RTX 3080 Graphics Cards

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
https://www.techpowerup.com/276690/...-geforce-rtx-3070-and-rtx-3080-graphics-cards

Would not be surprised really if NVIDIA does this...

According to kopite7kimi, a famous leaker of information about NVIDIA graphics cards, we have some pieces of data about NVIDIA's plans to bring back its SUPER series of graphics cards. The SUPER graphics cards have first appeared in the GeForce RTX 2000 series "Turing" GPUs with GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER and RTX 2070 SUPER designs, after which RTX 2060 followed. Thanks to the source, we have information that NVIDIA plans to give its newest "Ampere" 3000 series of GeForce RTX GPUs a SUPER overhaul. Specifically, the company allegedly plans to introduce GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER and RTX 3080 SUPER SKUs to its offerings.

While there is no concrete information about the possible specifications of these cards, we can speculate that just like the previous SUPER upgrade, new cards would receive an upgrade in CUDA core count, and possibly a memory improvement. The last time a SUPER upgrade happened, NVIDIA just added more cores to the GPU and overclocked the GDDR6 memory and thus increased the memory bandwidth. We have to wait and see how the company plans to position these alleged cards and if we get them at all, so take this information with a grain of salt.

With all these speculations about upcoming SKUs I'm a little 50/50 whether I want to cancel my 3060 Ti order but then again it costed only slightly above MSRP (I refuse to pay a lot above MSRP these days, rather wait 1-2 months if I have to) and I've already waited above 2 weeks or so for it, decisions, decisions. I'm only on 1080p still but will probably go 1440p soon'ish when I find a suitable monitor for my needs.

I would love to have some more clarity of the roadmap from Nvidia, would make decision-making that much easier but guess it's in Nvidia's pocket favor to keep it foggy on what's coming out soon.

I just more than 10gb of ram.

my 1080 has 11, I want more not less.

That's fine but please remember the 1080 GTX had 8 GB (You have a 1080 Ti, not a 1080!), the 2080 had 8, and the 3080 had 10.
They are in the same family.
1080 Ti, 2080 Ti and 3090 are in the same family, with 3090 being more like a bridge between a Titan and 3080

Now if Nvidia decides they want to watch the world burn, they can release a 3080 Ti and a 3080 Super at the same time.

At this point its past comically absurd......its like they're going to manufacture the first release of Ampere for 6 months? Then switch to faster parts? Then in another six months release the 4000 series? Come fucking on.......I mean, don't get me wrong, its great to see advances happening quickly....but how do you feel dropping $800 to $1200 knowing in 12 months (maybe the games you want to play aren't even released in that timeframe) your stuff is worth $400....because now there's a new version at the same price point....are they rushing all this crap out before the world economy crashes and everyone's broke?

*sigh*

After all the rumored/leaked versions that were 'supposed' to arrive late last year to fill the gap between the 3080 and 3090 I'll believe it when I see it. I don't doubt there were likely intermediate models planned.

The cool thing is if you wait forever, you get an infinite performance increase vs what you have.
I know right and if you are happy living 5-10 behind the times for the games you can happily play those games at their full resolutions on like $600 worth of hardware. So depending on how current you feel the need to be then things are great.
Honestly the busiest gaming PC I own is a 7 year old i5 running a GTX 1650. Granted it’s only running 640x480 but it’s crushing everything I throw at it.

I know right and if you are happy living 5-10 behind the times for the games you can happily play those games at their full resolutions on like $600 worth of hardware. So depending on how current you feel the need to be then things are great.
Honestly the busiest gaming PC I own is a 7 year old i5 running a GTX 1650. Granted it’s only running 640x480 but it’s crushing everything I throw at it.
I was being a smart-arse a bit (sorry, it's what I do), but your point is absolutely correct of course.

If one doesn't really care about cutting edge graphics or newer games, the world is your oyster. I do know several people who operate this way, intentionally in some cases, unintentionally (kids, life, work) in others.

I am not able to operate that way. I am now at a relationship point with my GPU which is the same as couples I love to watch in restaurants. The silent "something is wrong, and nobody wants to bring it up" point. Eating in silence, begrudging acceptance - until something available walks by. Then - buckle up buttercup.

But nothing is walking by, and the F5 key is showing signs of wear.

.are they rushing all this crap out before the world economy crashes and everyone's broke?

*sigh*
Nvidia has perfected the art of emptying wallets for more than a few years now. Catchy (and pricey) secondary effects, constant lineup changes, complicated and numerous skus.. It's more psychology at this point.

I was being a smart-arse a bit (sorry, it's what I do), but your point is absolutely correct of course.

If one doesn't really care about cutting edge graphics or newer games, the world is your oyster. I do know several people who operate this way, intentionally in some cases, unintentionally (kids, life, work) in others.

I am not able to operate that way. I am now at a relationship point with my GPU which is the same as couples I love to watch in restaurants. The silent "something is wrong, and nobody wants to bring it up" point. Eating in silence, begrudging acceptance - until something available walks by. Then - buckle up buttercup.

But nothing is walking by, and the F5 key is showing signs of wear.
Yeah, I want to sit and play the actual gaming PC but more than not by the time I get sat down on it and fire something up, Squadrons or BG3 I get like an hour maybe 2 if I am lucky before something calls me away. So instead the cabinet upstairs gets used most for a quick 15-20 min round of Mario or Zelda or something from the 80's-early 2000's. Or its me on the couch playing something fast on the phone in between tea parties

I'm not seeing a Super & Ti for all the cards in the lineup. I suppose they can, but I think that is splitting hairs. Especially when there is supply issues. Yes they'll be able to meet demand in the future, but it would still probably be cheaper to simplify product lines and get stock for a few models done quickly before AMD gets their supply issues sorted. At this point getting items to sell is the biggest issue.

I can see a 3080TI and 3080 Super though, such like they did with the 2080. The **80 Tis tend to be slightly slower than the Titan (3090 this go around) but are meant more for gaming whereas the Titan/3090 are more mixed use. Of course, I can see a 3060 Ti Super (or Super Ti? Or just Super?) since that already uses the Ti name.

But I could be wrong. Maybe Tis will slot in as a higher end model with a higher price and Supers will replace the current line up at the same price. But I can't see two new models dropping so closely.

I'm not seeing a Super & Ti for all the cards in the lineup. I suppose they can, but I think that is splitting hairs. Especially when there is supply issues. Yes they'll be able to meet demand in the future, but it would still probably be cheaper to simplify product lines and get stock for a few models done quickly before AMD gets their supply issues sorted. At this point getting items to sell is the biggest issue.

I can see a 3080TI and 3080 Super though, such like they did with the 2080. The **80 Tis tend to be slightly slower than the Titan (3090 this go around) but are meant more for gaming whereas the Titan/3090 are more mixed use. Of course, I can see a 3060 Ti Super (or Super Ti? Or just Super?) since that already uses the Ti name.

But I could be wrong. Maybe Tis will slot in as a higher end model with a higher price and Supers will replace the current line up at the same price. But I can't see two new models dropping so closely.
The only supply issue was they spent 2 months not supplying (well not supplying consumers, the Miners are happy though) and now we are in January which has a lot of Chinese government holidays so not a lot of actual factory work is going on then so we wait till Feb/March when all the stocks get replenished.

Still churning a fire sale Titan x Pascal 12GB with unknown miles that I got at the end of the last mining craze.
I can't swallow these ray traced price gouges and feel money better spent expanding my library of older titles
that now go for Zennies on the Zorkmid.

Now if Nvidia decides they want to watch the world burn, they can release a 3080 Ti and a 3080 Super at the same time.
I really wish they would, just so I could bust out the popcorn and watch certain people on this forum have meltdowns about how Nvidia is giving consumers too many choices. :ROFLMAO:

At this point its past comically absurd......its like they're going to manufacture the first release of Ampere for 6 months? Then switch to faster parts? Then in another six months release the 4000 series? Come fucking on.......I mean, don't get me wrong, its great to see advances happening quickly....but how do you feel dropping $800 to $1200 knowing in 12 months (maybe the games you want to play aren't even released in that timeframe) your stuff is worth $400....because now there's a new version at the same price point....are they rushing all this crap out before the world economy crashes and everyone's broke?

*sigh*
IMO, I saw this coming. New stuff needs to come out quickly. full stop. and that's because playable 4K with near full settings, with traditional raster, is still only barely a thing, even with Ampere. 1080p and 1440p/2K are in a fine spot. But it turns out that 4K demands yet more.

Also, factor in Ray Tracing: Even Nvidia's performance is still dire. Especially if you look at anything other than their highest cards.

*that said....I'm not one who needs 4K. But, I can see the gap between marketing and reality. And I anticipate the next couple rounds of games to stammer Ampere and Navi 2, a bit.

IMO, I saw this coming. New stuff needs to come out quickly. full stop. and that's because playable 4K with near full settings, with traditional raster, is still only barely a thing, even with Ampere. 1080p and 1440p/2K are in a fine spot. But it turns out that 4K demands yet more.

Also, factor in Ray Tracing: Even Nvidia's performance is still dire. Especially if you look at anything other than their highest cards.

*that said....I'm not one who needs 4K. But, I can see the gap between marketing and reality. And I anticipate the next couple rounds of games to stammer Ampere and Navi 2, a bit.

you are not getting anything faster then 3090. That is just not going to happen. I mean how big of a die could they make? Its diminishing returns for them. What you are looking for is next gen product. 3090 does fine at 4k.

you are not getting anything faster then 3090. That is just not going to happen. I mean how big of a die could they make? Its diminishing returns for them. What you are looking for is next gen product. 3090 does fine at 4k.
The post I quoted and responded to, talks about the next gen parts hypothetically within a year.

What I would like to see from the next "super" products, is more RTX cores. Not more shader cores. Nvidia really skimped on RTX cores with the first round of Ampere.

The post I quoted and responded to, talks about the next gen parts hypothetically within a year.

What I would like to see from the next "super" products, is more RTX cores. Not more shader cores. Nvidia really skimped on RTX cores with the first round of Ampere.

You do realize that NVIDIA is not going to make a bigger chip, right? Refreshes have always been about upping a cut for a particular card / or increasing the memory bus.

They have a set ratio of Rt units to SMs for this architecture.

The 3080 Ti exists because they are getting much better yields on the 3090 now that the 2GB chips are finally available (and to smash any hope for the 6900 Xt.)

Last edited:
Back