NVIDIA Corporation Volta Architecture Rumor Emerges

They could sell you a cut down gp102 because they know there are plenty of buyers with money burning a hole. Just look around here. Plenty of Titan Pascal owners in these parts. So long as there's buyers they will continue to charge out the ass.
confirmed titan pascal owner here, just got it last week. tired of waiting. lol

:), of course it is favorable because it exposes the true potential of AMD hardware and Nvidia's ;)

Really just AMDs. Of course, if someone went as far as id did with their optimizations for Nvidia, we'd never hear the end of the whining!

Really just AMDs. Of course, if someone went as far as id did with their optimizations for Nvidia, we'd never hear the end of the whining!
Thanks for the grammar correction, except Doom was optimize as much as they could for NVidia hardware. They can't optimize 100% if NVidia holds back information, which hints at AMD having a better developer relationship now. Considering ID software that is a marked change.

Thanks for the grammar correction, except Doom was optimize as much as they could for NVidia hardware. They can't optimize 100% if NVidia holds back information, which hints at AMD having a better developer relationship now. Considering ID software that is a marked change.

Using Vulkan- and they'll be the only house that really optimizes for Vulkan.

See, this is an id 'thing', shunning DX; it hurt AMD when they sucked at OpenGL (they probably still do), but they're the only ones that do this. Toot your horn all you want, Doom isn't an example of anything other than Doom and id.

Using Vulkan- and they'll be the only house that really optimizes for Vulkan.

See, this is an id 'thing', shunning DX; it hurt AMD when they sucked at OpenGL (they probably still do), but they're the only ones that do this. Toot your horn all you want, Doom isn't an example of anything other than Doom and id.
Doom is an example of a very fine tuned, optimized game that is fun and darn right kick ass. Vary rare now days and should be recognized as an outstanding achievement. Plus a few folks get butt hurt when their favorite worship does not do so good which is fun free entertainment. It maybe the best game to show what 100% of each hardware can perform at. Your right, it does not show what other games will perform like on each hardware - it is probably the best game to show full potential of GPU hardware when firing full turbo on all shaders or as many as possible.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/could-nvidia-be-prepping-a-volta-release.html

Don't think next week Volta is going to be announced but any case did show up in drivers

Pretty much what this means emulation of Volta is done and they are working on drivers while the GPU design is finalized and then production begins.

This is GV100, so if they stick with their current launch schedules, GV104 is end of this year, GV100 sometime early next year.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/could-nvidia-be-prepping-a-volta-release.html

Don't think next week Volta is going to be announced but any case did show up in drivers

Pretty much what this means emulation of Volta is done and they are working on drivers while the GPU design is finalized and then production begins.

This is GV100, so if they stick with their current launch schedules, GV104 is end of this year, GV100 sometime early next year.

Yeah makes it look more definite to be announced at GTC in May, just like P100 last year.
So on schedule with the 'GV100' by the looks of it.
Cheers

If they start talking about Volta they better give us a codename for the successor as well... When was the last roadmap again?

I'm still upset that Einstein seems to have disappeared, maybe we'll get a Feynman, but that's an F already taken by Fermi...

Hmmm.

NVIDIA GAUSS

Well funny thing is now we know how many GPU's, nV's working on at the same time,

at least 3 generations lol.

Pascal (where Einstein was supposed to be) than Volta.

is volta pushed forward because of vega? I dont get it, because early vega indicates that it wont be a world beater.

is volta pushed forward because of vega? I dont get it, because early vega indicates that it wont be a world beater.

AMD got no impact on Nvidia. You make new chips to sell new cards to existing owners.

They could have a major impact if they drop a second 290X-esque GPU (beating the nVidia top dog for cheaper than nV's second in line).

Well funny thing is now we know how many GPU's, nV's working on at the same time,

at least 3 generations lol.

Pascal (where Einstein was supposed to be) than Volta.

i believe it's what about 4 years from initial architecture design to finished product? i remember there being an interview with AMD about it when they were talking about the HD5k or 6k series so i'd expect nvidia wouldn't be that much different in timeline.

It was 2017 since 2014, some HPC-Tesla presentations and a whitepaper from then mention 2017, various IBM and Nvidia presentations since then have always been 2017, the contracts for the 1st two supercomputers was for 2017 :)
I have linked various sources pointing to 2017 in the past, including from the science lab expecting the 1st 'V100'+IBM supercomputer; they announced publicly it was 2017 on Youtube just after the P100 launched March 2016.
It was rumours and some sites like WCCFT than then was news spammed making sound like it was 2018.
Part of the problem was people and WCCFT were using the general product roadmap as a literal interpretation of launch date as it had Volta at 2018, but those graphs are not designed to be interpreted that way.
AMD on their general product roadmap had Vega over end of 2016, why there was an expectation from some it would launch way earlier than reality.
Cheers

Last edited:
If consumer Volta is launching at the end of the year it would keep NVIDIA in their typical 18-month product cycle. So no, I wouldn't say they "pushed it forward."

Nope wasn't pushed forward (node changed though, was penciled in for 10nm but 10nm isn't ready yet)

Just a bit more on what we mostly already know.
16nm FF+ Volta SoC with 512 cores to replace the 256CC Pascal X2. And 12nm aka 4th generation 16nm for Volta GPU parts.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170313PB201.html

upload_2017-3-14_10-31-31.png

I ordered my 1080 Ti. Whenever the hell nvidia can get around to shipping it, I suppose. I don't feel like waiting another year for a good GPU.

Back